Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Secret

Options
  • 15-06-2009 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Hello. I'm halfway through this book and find it fascinating.
    I tried the exercise where you want your car park space to be in a crowded shopping centre carpark and it worked, on 3 diferent occasions too.
    Has any one had any similar experiences? What are your thoughts on this book?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

suey71 wrote: »
    I tried the exercise where you want your car park space to be in a crowded shopping centre carpark and it worked, on 3 diferent occasions too.

An ex boyfriend of mine was given a gift of the DVD from a client and he swears by it. He wouldn't have been a depressive or particularly pessimistic person to begin with but he had complained in the past of feeling unhappy at times and feeling things could go better for him in certain aspects of his life. After watching the DVD and reading the book he became a lot more optimistic and was recommending it to everyone.

I haven't gotten round to watching/reading it myself tbh but the theory behind it makes quite a lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

What's this now?

What's this now?

http://www.thesecret.tv/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Can you explain what's involved here?

Watched the trailer and found it very Hollywood-ish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭jick the rapper

I find the idea of "the secret" incredible!

What exactly is the reasoning behind believing that “the universe”, or whatever benevolent force is at work here, is going to provide us with what we want!

Just because we desire it so!

Does no one else think this is complete tripe?

I’m as receptive as most too out there ideas, but they have to have at least some foundation in reality

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

Jick, I was the exact same as you until I got the book. I dont know exactly how it works but for example if you want something badly, then just believe that you have it already and it will come to you. Sounds stange but in the case of the car park example that I gave at the start of the thread. I already knew that I had this spot, and when I got there, there was a woman trying to reverse out of my spot, but she was having dificulty due to a person parking his trolly truck behind her. So I waited for about 2 mins getting impatient as she was in my space and wallah the car next to her started to reverse out, then she did which left me with 2 spaces. This was on a Thursday afternoon and the carpark was packed.This method has worked on a few occasions, try it yourself.

:D

<chips covered in vinegar
    chips covered in vinegar
    chips covered in vinegar
    chips covered in vinegar>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Aw yeah chips with vinegar would be so sweet right now.
    Seriously though isnt the idea behind 'The Secret' basically the Laws of Attraction which was popular way back in the day?
    Thats not saying it doesnt work.I think if one places a want or goal in a priority position in the mind,one will strive to achieve it.Whether one is aware of it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

I have read the secret and while I do believe that we can "think" ourselves into bad health and bad situations I still had a problem with the idea what we can have whatever we want without exception. I recently found this site and think it is more realistic.
    [URL="http://www.silvaultramindsystem.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

I never buy lottery tickets - lost money imo

Got a Monday Millions this morning while buying stamps - quick pick 4eur
    I am going to believe I have won or have 20,000 in the bank

Updates will be given tomorrow if my numbers come in

• Advertisement

LouOB wrote: »
    I never buy lottery tickets - lost money imo

Got a Monday Millions this morning while buying stamps - quick pick 4eur
    I am going to believe I have won or have 20,000 in the bank

Updates will be given tomorrow if my numbers come in

I don't think it works for financial gain, unless you're visualising doing well at work or something and earning the money, I'd imagine so anyway.. You're 'wishes' can't come from a place of desperation either afaik... If that makes any sense..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

In the book there is a section on getting the Universe to send you money. So wish away. Indeed a lot of the book is about gaining material wealth. thats probably why its selling so many copies. I'd love to know exactly how many?

dont forget us if you win

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

In the book there is a section on getting the Universe to send you money. So wish away. Indeed a lot of the book is about gaining material wealth. thats probably why its selling so many copies. I'd love to know exactly how many?

Yeah-I think thats the real secret

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

xzanti wrote: »
    I don't think it works for financial gain, unless you're visualising doing well at work or something and earning the money, I'd imagine so anyway.. You're 'wishes' can't come from a place of desperation either afaik... If that makes any sense..

Im not desperate
    Just putting above into practice

btw am still €€€ less
    But I really did start thinking - right i have that 20k in the bank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

If the secret was true, wouldn't every 5 year old girl have a pony?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Overblood Im sure that comment is posted word for word in another thread about the secret around here. :)

Havent read the book but the car park trick is handy. :) just hope all of us dont wish for the same parking space someday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Oryx wrote: »
    Overblood Im sure that comment is posted word for word in another thread about the secret around here. :)

And it's such a good point that you remembered.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 LittleShadow

It is an interesting idea, and from a personal level I can understand that if you think/know you are bad at something you will be bad, if you think/know you are good at something you will be.

Thats a fair-given point and I believe thats true.

On a universal scale I wouldn't believe it, but then again I put the secret into practice. Because at the time it was all I had as a way to fix a situation I was in.

Too be honest, it worked for me.

I got out of a difficult situation that I never get out of.

Did anyone find the section on being grateful for things a little bit confusing? Does it mean to be greatful for everything in your life like the carpet under your feet, the toothbrush your brushing you teeth with etc....?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

In his book Quirkology, Richard Wiseman discusses the belief in good luck. It seemed that people who believed themselves to be lucky did indeed have better luck than those who dont believe themselves lucky. This was researched and it was felt that those who think 'lucky' tend to be more positive and to see possibilities their more negative comrades missed.

It could be there is an aspect of this at play in those who use the philosophy of The Secret. If you think positive, you act more positive and better things therefore come your way as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭LCDeelite

I find the idea of "the secret" incredible!

What exactly is the reasoning behind believing that “the universe”, or whatever benevolent force is at work here, is going to provide us with what we want!

Just because we desire it so!

Does no one else think this is complete tripe?

I’m as receptive as most too out there ideas, but they have to have at least some foundation in reality

You seem like a hugely optimistic chap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭LCDeelite

I read the book and I adopted the overall 'greater positive thinking' ethos in general and I felt that the newer mode of thinking was an asset. For instance, instead of being out somewhere and grimacing at queues, I would say to myself (in my head obviously - people around me, duh), "I'll be out of this queue in less than five minutes". Tbh, it has worked for me in every instance where I've done that.
    I use the same attitude with red traffic lights - I visualise them turning green within five seconds and they have always switched to green in each case.

Regardless of what material 'result' you might get out of putting the ethos of The Secret into action, I think that the more positive attitude in itself is a valuable aid in everyday life. Anyway, at the end of the day, it's just a book and it's up to the individual whether they choose to act on what it advises or to completely discard it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭twanda

Have just ordered a copy of this book.
    I heard many people talking about it. Really need to inject some positive thinking into my life, Lord knows I am not good at that.Things aren't going great at the mo. I hope this book will help me 'look on the brightside' more :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

Hi, i was at a card reading today and the man doin the reading told me this story. One day a friend of his was walking down the street and a woman stopped her and said she had something she'd like to give her. She pulled 'the secret' out of her handbag and told the woman that she had been carrying it around for the previous six months and that she was waiting for the person she was supposed to give it to, and that she felt that this was the woman that needed it. Turns out the woman had been feeling down recently and read the book and felt brilliant afterwards. (just realised how unintriguing this story sounds, must have been the whole mystery of the card reading getting to me!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭twanda

I received the book a week ago. Am halfway through it and have to say, it is great at making me think more positively and not always expect the worst to happen. You really do feel better in your self when reading it.
    I am on a job hunt at the moment and it's been a slow laborious process but since getting this book I have tried to use their method to better prepare myself. I got called to a second round interview this week, which is the most positive development in the job hunt since March. I would like to think it is down to using the secret. I am definitely gonna keep using their positive thinking methods.

In short, 'The Secret' gets a big thumbs up from me!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Yunalesca

I found the book interesting to read but the bottom line basically seems to be something like just believe in yourself and believe goods things will come your way, and then they will.

Which is good advice really! :3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

I watched the DVD because it simply fell into my life and i had heard of it so i said why not. The secret is based on the law of attraction and the principle of oneness, i.e that what happens within us is manifested around us.

I had already been on a new path so to speak and had discovered a new way of living that worked for me based on many old teaching found in many religions all over the world i.e that we are capable of being at one with everything and everyone around us. That is the key. It is not simply about positive thinking. It's more about the feeling that is generated. Feel it to be true.

Anyway i enjoyed it and took some small things for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

YOU'RE ALL SHEEP, USELESS USELESS SHEEP. You fall prey to **** stupid idiotic book that you close your eyes and wish for something an it comes true.

Load of balls.

As was mentioned earlier everyone would have what they wanted if this was the case....and don't try to say "no, you don't get it! It's only the small things that you can change". Oh, very convenient. Idiots.

Sounds like a Deepak Chopra book to be honest, 2003 Synchrodestiny: Harnessing the Infinite Power of Coincidence to Create Miracles.

Which gullible Americans and housewives go nuts for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

There is an old book called "think and grow rich" which was quite good. Written in the 1930s. Sounds a lot like the secret.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭DTrotter

Ice_Box wrote: »
    There is an old book called "think and grow rich" which was quite good. Written in the 1930s. Sounds a lot like the secret.

You're wrong, with The Secret you cal on the universe to listen to know in advance that you will want a car parking place and it will stop anyone else from taking it so it's empty for you.

Advertisement