Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Secret

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

The secret in a nutshell

If you think friendly happy thoughts about elephants, you draw friendly happy elephants to you with baloons around their trunks and great fun for the kids. But if you think fearful, negative thoughts about elephants, a huge stampede of them, with tusks the size of skyscrapers will kill and crush you to the ground.

Serves you right for having such a negative attitude!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭twanda

chin_grin wrote: »
    YOU'RE ALL SHEEP, USELESS USELESS SHEEP. You fall prey to **** stupid idiotic book that you close your eyes and wish for something an it comes true.

Load of balls.

That's your opinion on the book and you are entitled to it-- but no need for the personal attack on the rest of us. Opinions are like *ssholes -- everybody has one. I happen to believe in the power of feeling and thinking positive about things.

BTW. I got that job:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

No the universe got you that job geez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭twanda

yeah, that too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Scawgeen

For those of you who read the book. I found the part of being fat hard to follow. Basically you can be thin and have 'fat thoughts' and get fat but you can't be fat and have 'thin thoughts'. Seems a bit odd. You can't think 'thin thoughts' you have think 'ideal weight' also the 'Law of Attraction' will not bring back a loved one. Like the little girls and their much sought after pony, I lost my mother when I was a little girl and no amount of wishful thinking will bring her back, as a kid I imagined she wasn't dead at all, she'd come back some day but she never did nor ever will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭jesus smith

I must say I was hella skeptical about the secret when I first was handed the book and then later the dvd however i attempted too put it into practise and it does work.
    at first I believed it was mearly a case of if you condition yourself to believe something is coming to you you will subconciosuly start to gravitate towards it however I then began to notice soemthing odd.
    I would put out an intention to the universe and it would come back to me. I wold get my wish but it felt like someone was messing with me. I'd ask to attract more love into my life with the intention of maybe meeting a nice girl and I'd wind up finding abandoned kittens, I'd ask to attract more money into my life and I'd get given a monopoly set out of the blue. the same thing basically happened to me with sigilism (the practise of creating a sigil to attract what you want into your life) when I decided to attempt to create a hyper sigil (wher you actually draw what you want to happen, this happens in the secret when the artists is asked to draw himself with loads of women) anyway at that point I was recently broken up from an ex and I drew a picture of us back together and then when nothing happened immidetly only to find the picture several months later and realised I was infact with a girl who fit the drawing better then my ex did.
    so if nothing else I feel it works but you have to be very precise.
    the lesson it seems to be trying to teach me is carfeul what you wish for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Does the notion that thinking positively about things mean that you are more likely to notice the positive in a situation not strike you all as a more likely explanation taht that your thoughts "caused" the event to occur?

You can sit waiting on a car park space thinking about chopping up your neighbours kids - the space is still gonna become available at the same timeas if you sit there "thinking" the slot will open for you - its self delusion to think you "caused" it to empty when it did.

Being a happy, positive, open person gives you a certain "air" that attracts people to you - so kind events etc are far more likely to happen to you, people are far more likely to approach you, than if you are negative, depressed etc.

Mind/body synchronicity means that happy, positive people are better at dealing with illness (both mental and physical) and therefore are likely to be happier and healthier.

Positivity enures a "can do" attitude. People are far less likely to give up when they are positive. OF course "positive" people are mroe succesful.

Positivity and negativity have a huge influence in how we "see" our lives. Repititious thought is what creates our moods and outlooks on life. Repetitive positive thoughts make you happy and more likely to feel fulfilled. repetitive negative thoughts make you depressed and more likely to feel dissatisified/dissilusioned etc.

Attitude is abundantly helpful in everything we do. But the idea that "the secret" has any effect on external cause and effect is laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

The first 20 minutes of that DVD are on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b1GKGWJbE8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

DTrotter wrote: »
    You're wrong, with The Secret you cal on the universe to listen to know in advance that you will want a car parking place and it will stop anyone else from taking it so it's empty for you.

I just read some of the reviews on amazon and a other people have compared it to "Think and grow Rich". In fact one review said "this is really little more than dressed up Napoleon Hill - Think and Grow Rich". So maybe Im not so wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Scawgeen

Is the 'eminant Dr. Tony Quinn' namechecked in the book the same Dr Tony Quinn who regularly gets a two page spread devoted to him in the Sunday World ? usually by former disgruntled devotees, I'm just curious.

I've just finished the book, I've not read books of this kind before. I don't think I'll be following the law of the Law of Attraction. I'm happy to have a roof over my head and enough to eat. I've no desire to have an abundance of wealth. I don't want to be rich, I know I know the words of a fool. The only thing I'd dearly love is to be healthy, both mind and body. I've always been kind, courteous, obliging, helpful to my fellow human beings and some would say those are the words of a doormat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Ive read The Secret and cant help but feel its a bit of a money spinner. There are far better books out there about similar thinking that is more effective and applicable to real life.

I attended a workshop where The Secret was discussed. The speaker cited Muhammad Ali as someone who oozed massive positivity and look at the successes in his career. I however took exception to this and pointed out that his successes in his career could probably be more linked to the hours and hours of work and effort he put in physically, to achieve his career goals.

In summary, i dont believe the power of positive thinking is enough to achieve goals. without corresponding action, its a waste of time.

Think about it.

You are challenged with something very difficult in life, or you set yourself a difficult objective.

Lets take weight loss as an example. If you put in the effort and take a positive approach, you are more likely to see the objective through to the end and achieve it. However if you start to put in the effort but adopt a negative attitude, you are less likely to have the committment to achieve your goal. It has nothing to do with the universe giving you what you want, its down to 2 things, the primary thing being action.

I probably sound like a moany old sod who adopts a cautious eye to this new age hippy trippy stuff but thats because I am a moany old sod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

faceman wrote: »

I attended a workshop where The Secret was discussed. The speaker cited Muhammad Ali as someone who oozed massive positivity and look at the successes in his career. I however took exception to this and pointed out that his successes in his career could probably be more linked to the hours and hours of work and effort he put in physically, to achieve his career goals.

Muhammad Ali was probably mentioned because he used a lot of visualisation techniques before every match, and would visualise how many rounds it would take him to knock his opponents out, and he was right a lot of the time!

I think 'The Secret' is really interesting, I watched the DVD, and I liked what it had to say. Unfortunately, I find it hard to apply to my own life, but I'm going to keep trying until I get there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

coconut5 wrote: »
    Muhammad Ali was probably mentioned because he used a lot of visualisation techniques before every match, and would visualise how many rounds it would take him to knock his opponents out, and he was right a lot of the time!

But again, Ali's visualisation techniques arent worth anything if he has put in the effort in training.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

The secret could of been a very useful book if they had of stuck to the facts.

it's logical that the more positive you are the more chances of being in positive situations the more times you put yourself into positive situations the more chance you will gain a positive experience from one of those situations.

they should of just stopped there but they moved on into complete and utter f*cking nonsense which certainly will attract some morons who will buy into it but they end up missing the point and thinking they can "think" something to get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭lala stone

I read this book a few times.. an while it doesnt work miracles,you come away more positive which is good in any context..

ANYWAY.. the thing that ruined it for me was when they swept away all the murders/genocide/attrocities etc throughout history as being the individuals fault because they werent positive enough that they would escape.....WTF????

But again, Ali's visualisation techniques arent worth anything if he has put in the effort in training.

I think the point is that this is what set him apart from all the other boxers who put the same effort into training, he had the mental strength that set him apart and made him a champion. That's the difference between someone being good and being great. A lot of it is mental discipline, as well as natural ability.

I think the point is that this is what set him apart from all the other boxers who put the same effort into training, he had the mental strength that set him apart and made him a champion. That's the difference between someone being good and being great. A lot of it is mental discipline, as well as natural ability.

The point Im trying to make however is that the primary force that allows you to achieve your goals, is action and effort

The point Im trying to make however is that the primary force that allows you to achieve your goals, is action and effort

There's more to life than that. Why do some people achieve things and others don't, even if they appear to be as gifted as the achiever? Luck comes into play, and I guess what The Secret is trying to tell you is that you can help this by thinking positively and taking all the opportunities that come your way. You don't have to agree, I just think it makes sense.

There's more to life than that. Why do some people achieve things and others don't, even if they appear to be as gifted as the achiever? Luck comes into play, and I guess what The Secret is trying to tell you is that you can help this by thinking positively and taking all the opportunities that come your way. You don't have to agree, I just think it makes sense.

I know what you are saying, i guess from my experience, i see people relying too heavily on forces like this to help them through challenges/life etc when sometimes its important to get up off your behind and put in the effort.

Lets say you have 3 people applying for a job that involves taking a practical exam.

Person A does loads of prepartion and applies the positive nature as per The Secret
    Person B does loads of prepartion but does has a negative outlook on the situation.
    Person C does no prepartion but applies the positive nature as per The Secret

It may be a simplistic example, but my money would be on Person A & B being the stronger candidates.

Oh, absolutely. Getting off your arse has to be the starting point. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Luck comes into play and the more times you put yourself into a situation you might get lucky the more chances you have of getting lucky this is not rocket science it is not "attracting" the result from the world or "thinking" towards you.

It's like people who complain "i never win anything"

another person "i'm forever winning things"

how many times did you enter into something last year? "once, you?"

"a few thousand"

people with optimistic outlook will generally get more lucky and get themselves in more situations where they can benefit from that luck

others won't

again, it's not about "attracting" it to you from the world it's just common sense.

if you have two boxers of equal weight and size/reach but one has more mental strength it's pretty obvious who will win more times than not but they're not winning because they "attracted" the win from the world.

the secret is so successful because generally people are so f*cking stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

i guess i'm a total cynic on this one,
    i was suggested that book by a doctor, so off i went and picked it up for a tenner in the local bookshop, i get about 20 pages in, and i found it to be the same tripe over and over again, with a lot of names of people i've never heard of who got "everything they wanted" because they'd read the secret...

bollocks to it i say, the only people who got what they wanted from that pile of crap were the publishers and the marketting genius behind the idea of the secret itself.
    its a cosmic magnetic force me arse..

I'm normally such a cynical bastard on these things and i generally do give the benefit of the doubt, but wishful thinking and spamming your thoughts with "i want this i want that" is self brainwashing - i mean ye might want to win the lotto with all your heart and soul and say it to yourself a billion times a week before the draw, but that means absolutely dick.

fair enough with the carparking and smaller things, but they are things you come by eventually, its not because you wanted it or made yourself consciously think 'i want a space right in front of the bookshop', its because you were looking for it, and if you get that magic spot, your just lucky.

gah i cant beleive i spent a tenner that could have gotten me two pints that i would have pissed against a wall in my local and gotten more use out of for something i wanted.

hehe ye can take apart this post now if ye like, but i cannot and will not get any further into that book, it really is unbelieveable drivvel to me.

I do believe there is more to life, but its not spending your entire life using this book's idea as your basis of getting what you want/need/etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭RLJ

DTrotter wrote: »
    You're wrong, with The Secret you cal on the universe to listen to know in advance that you will want a car parking place and it will stop anyone else from taking it so it's empty for you.
    What if 2 people want it?
    There is a free book online the science of getting rich which is similar, not that i believe in it but in case anyone wants it

LCDeelite wrote: »
    I use the same attitude with red traffic lights - I visualise them turning green within five seconds and they have always switched to green in each case..
    Do you honestly believe you can influence traffic lights to hurry the change? Would that not put the other lights out of sequence?

twanda wrote: »
    BTW. I got that job:D
    Fair play to you
    PS any chance of a loan?:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 lexsis35

at first glance it reminds of the teachings of the Kabbalah(spelling???) then when I read a little bit more - it's plain and simple life coaching but with better decorations, tony robbinsesque like. I wont knock life coaching or this "secret" cos some ppl need this and some ppl don't need it. I'm one of the ppl who dont need it. I know someone who used the techniques from lifecoaching and followed tony robbins to a few seminars and they are quite successful in their chosen path of career and private life.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭smithcity

Guys, get serious. There's an art and mastery of technique involved in the occult.

Simply wanting and willing things to happen isn't going to cut it.

even if one masters the occult how do they know what they achieve is not just co incidence and post hoc reasoning. I am genuinely interested in knowing

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭smithcity

You don't know. You have to just accept it. That's why you can still doubt yourself long after becoming proficient.
    Probably the healthiest approach anyway, stops everyone turning into egomaniacs.

• Advertisement

smithcity wrote: »
    You don't know. You have to just accept it. That's why you can still doubt yourself long after becoming proficient.
    Probably the healthiest approach anyway, stops everyone turning into egomaniacs.
    that is interesting. I am a skeptic, no offense, so when a friend of mine had some work performed for her and won money twice i had to remind her she had also won money when no one did work for her.

To me there is no way to know, unless of course you succeed every time, then coincidence becomes a bit of a long shot. Thanks for the reply

Advertisement