Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bribes . . . I mean presents?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I got a whole pizza for my Junior Cert results.

A whole one.

I hope I get Pizza this year! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

didn't get anything after my JC, a meal out with friends i think.
    I got a laptop for my 18th which is also for college so not really expecting anything.

Tbh if it gets lazy students off their asses to study and achieve what they can, then if the parents feel it's worthwhile, i'd say go for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I got to see Rocky 2 in the sticky-floored Green cinema.
    I'm not sure if that was a reward or a punishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I got to choose a new phone :p

So I got the Nokia E71 because it'll last me for years

• Registered Users Posts: 27 yellow belly du

When I came home from my last exam on thursday, my mam had left 20 euro on the kitchen table for me.....bought credit for the first time in weeks! Success!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Larkin501 wrote: »
    I got to choose a new phone :p

So I got the Nokia E71 because it'll last me for years

Nice phone BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭notGill

Im getting a laptop for college, my parents have told me that's my leaving cert present too, I'm quite happy with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

Wow, I feel so spoiled!!
    My mammy got tickets to a concert for me and her for the week after I finish the leaving to give me something to look forward to.
    And my parents told me they'll match my points with cash :D.

But I'm paying for oxegen, my 6th year holiday, and my laptop for next year out of my own money. I'm working for pretty much the whole summer too to pay for non-essential stuff in college (like going out money, clothes, etc). But it's a cushy job, it's great :P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

haha, nah...my mum kinda hope i wouldn't get my pts ..so i don't have to go to dublin...she wants me live in cork happily ever after

:P she should be delighted if i didn't get my 1st 3opinions

anyway, she is paying for my holidays..so yea

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Hmm my brother paid for my flights to brussels next weekend... I wonder if my parents will do anything... Doubt it really!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

Last year a mate of mine's dad said he'd give him 2euro for every point he got.

He got 450points, his dad rounded it up to a grand... Happy days.

As for me, I haven't been told I'm getting anything but knowing my ma she'll probably get me something small if I get my course

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fince

slightly off topic, but is everyone getting a laptop for college?

what happened to the good ole days of chalk and a piece of slate?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Fince wrote: »
    slightly off topic, but is everyone getting a laptop for college?

what happened to the good ole days of chalk and a piece of slate?
    I have a netbook, not for college though! I just bought one for general surfing. Pen and paper ftw for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I've had a laptop for many a year... Maybe I should get a new one...

Didn't get anything for my JC, and I think I should've considering how bloody miserable fourth year was. My only present will be getting my course... Which I hope to God I get... the idea of going back to school makes me feel physically ill. Literally, physically ill. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

As far as I know, I'll be getting a:
    -"You get the points you need?"
    -"Results aren't out yet.."
    -"You better not repeat..."

Although a trip back to New York was hinted at/talked about too.. ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I don't expect anything, although I wouldn't be complaining if I did... :)

I'm going to start working (my parents own an off licence, so I've got a job sorted for the summer) to work up money for my laptop (I'm hoping to get started in PureData programming to a certain degree this summer). I'd be delighted if they helped me with that. I've paid for a holiday myself.

My sister got me an Electric Picnic ticket for my birthday, and told me it was a leaving cert present as well as a birthday one. So I suppose that'd be one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭SugoiHito

ironclaw wrote: »
    I think given the current economic climate its stupid to ask for or even recieve a present for "doing well" I'd be quite offended if I was given money and even more if it was based on money. "There ya go, told ya you could do it" The satisfaction of doing well would be enough for me. Its wrong to expect money for doing something right especially over something like the LC. For those of us that have part time jobs, just because you gave a little extra or worked that little harder, does that mean you should get a once off bonus, every time? No and welcome to the real world.

Money shouldn't be given out just like that. Yeah, you did well and congrats but it was hardly an employment. You had to do it and your reward should be the contents of the envelope in August, not the deficit you put in your parents bank balance.

And what possible good is a few extra euro? What are you honestly going to spend it on? Work hard for your money and the satisfaction is much greater.
    Couldnt agree with you more,I would be insulted too if i got something for my results...infact i feel guilty for all the free stuff ive been getting off my parents so far and seeing as they are paying for my college fees too Ill find a job after this summer and work hard to repay them all that money cos it really isnt fair on them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭AMixedBag

Oh c'mon lads..
    Am I the only person not putting on a whole innocent act here "Oh I would hate to get something off my parents for my leaving cert blah blah blah"..
    I've been reading some of your posts and being realistic, most of ye would be over the moon if ye got 200 quid from your parents and i doubt you would be like "oh no, I can't accept this" as this is what most of ye are claiming ye would do...
    I see that some families are in financial difficulty but most of ye seem to be grand from what ye're saying.
    I'm getting 100quid to spend in any way I like :D oh yess...
    and a nice holiday to go along with that..:)
    as a congratulations present on finishing my LC!..
    I bet I'll be eaten alive now for this post by the "innocent" ones..

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

AMixedBag wrote: »
    Oh c'mon lads..
    Am I the only person not putting on a whole innocent act here "Oh I would hate to get something off my parents for my leaving cert blah blah blah"..
    I've been reading some of your posts and being realistic, most of ye would be over the moon if ye got 200 quid from your parents and i doubt you would be like "oh no, I can't accept this" as this is what most of ye are claiming ye would do...
    I see that some families are in financial difficulty but most of ye seem to be grand from what ye're saying.

Couldn't agree more.
    It's a publicity stunt! :rolleyes:

Im not putting on an innocent act anyways...Im just saying my side of it!Ill be over the moon from getting my physiotherapy course, if i get it that is!No money could make me happier:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Oh c'mon lads..

I doubt you'll be "eaten alive", but for all you know there could be some people posting here who are having financial difficulties in their family and genuinely would not accept a present from them. For my family at least, €200 is a lot of money right now, and if they tried to give it to me there's no way in hell I'd take it.

phasers wrote: »
    I doubt you'll be "eaten alive", but for all you know there could be some people posting here who are having financial difficulties in their family and genuinely would not accept a present from them. For my family at least, €200 is a lot of money right now, and if they tried to give it to me there's no way in hell I'd take it.

200euros was an example.. and I put in that sentence on financial difficulty for some families to highlight the fact that some people can't afford a treat at this time but then theres others just saying things like "i would never take money off my family" when they are probably the ones that run to their parents when they spot something straight away that they want to buy..
    I was just stating a fact that would apply to people in this thread and was in no way picking out certain people and their financial situations..
    i dun't even know if what I have just said makes any sense but I'll give it a go..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 sponge-97

I can't wait to eat my parent's wallets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

sponge-97 wrote: »
    I can't wait to eat my parent's wallets.

A celtic cub!!! Ahh!!!

200euros was an example.. and I put in that sentence on financial difficulty for some families to highlight the fact that some people can't afford a treat at this time but then theres others just saying things like "i would never take money off my family" when they are probably the ones that run to their parents when they spot something straight away that they want to buy..
    I was just stating a fact that would apply to people in this thread and was in no way picking out certain people and their financial situations..
    i dun't even know if what I have just said makes any sense but I'll give it a go..
    Im not judging anyone here, I understand if other peoples parents want to give money or whatever to their children. And my family is pretty well off financialy..all im saying is that ive been taking money off my parenst all my life and now that im finished school and im 18 i wanna take full resposibility and pay them back for my college fees...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 sponge-97

A celtic cub!!! Ahh!!!

Celtic cub..?

SugoiHito wrote: »
    Im not judging anyone here, I understand if other peoples parents want to give money or whatever to their children. And my family is pretty well off financialy..all im saying is that ive been taking money off my parenst all my life and now that im finished school and im 18 i wanna take full resposibility and pay them back for my college fees...

Lets just forget about this..
    I was just proving a point and an opinion of my own..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Thats really commendable, fair play.

Hmm, my opinion has always been that I'll pay them back when they retire. Like in fairness their investment in my future is their investment in their future too. I think its always one of the saddest things you hear when someone losses their only child "who will take care of us when we're older"

How this applies to this thread isn't clear.

I think another part of paying back our parents, is to do the same to our children. I don't want to spoil my children in any way, apart from education. Like my parents paid (without fuss) for things like school books or grinds classes for me, but would question giving me general cash, and now I do thank them for it.

Lets just forget about this..
    I was just proving a point and an opinion of my own..
    Ok,but so was I...:rolleyes: *peace*

• Advertisement

Ok,but so was I...:rolleyes: *peace*
    *peace*
    now I'm off to bed, goodnight haha

Advertisement