Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bribes . . . I mean presents?

Options
  • 14-06-2009 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

Just read this in the junior cert. forum, that the majority of them are receiving presents or money depending on grades, and wondering is it the same for Leaving Cert.'s? Personally I think it's ridiculous to get money per grade, like being bribed to do well, but what ever floats your boat :P
    On the other hand, my mam informed my last weekend that she would buy me a new phone on the day of my results, so I can't complain! :D But I am in dire need of one, and she just wants me to be able to contact my friends those days

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

No im not getting a present sure getting into my course in enough of a present for me.After all if you are doing well in school to please your parent and not yourself...how do I say this nicely...its kind of sad:)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

Well some of my relations did give me some money after getting my results for my Junior Certificate however it did not request or know that they were going to do so in advance.

Something along those lines may occur again for the results in August however I don't expect anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I think a good few people here will be getting money, holidays etc.

I think I'll maybe get a pat on the back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

last year i got nothing this year im getting nothing, you should do well in exams caus you want to not caus your parents give you 50e for every A-i know someone getting that (not that shes going to get ANY A's)

that said id say my parents will give me some money to go out on results night but theyd do that even if it was a normal night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I wish I was bribed then maybe I would have studied. my granny told me the other day she'll give me €100 if I get 5 honours or more :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Bananahammock

My dad said that if I get over 500 points he'll pay for my Leaving Cert holiday..but i didn't set my goals according to that..i just studied and i'll see what happens..
    You'd expect that i would be delighted to have a holiday handed to me if i get 500 points, but it actually annoys me that parents think they can buy good results..:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭.:FuZion:.

I wish I was bribed then maybe I would have studied. my granny told me the other day she'll give me €100 if I get 5 honours or more :D

I hate taking granny money. :pac:

Eh for JC I think I got like 250 quid for doing well or something. But I didn't do well for the money, I did well because I wanted to do well. End of. It's the same for the leaving, I WANT to do well. But if my parents are gona give me something i'm not gona complain. :p I also told them I didn't want them to pay for my leaving cert holiday. I wanted to keep my / their money for something more productive ( A new bike when im 18 lol ).

meh my granny is rich :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭.:FuZion:.

How bad so.. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

I've bets on with my teachers

10-1 for €20 with my maths teacher to get an A1 or A2

even money for €20 with my economics teacher to get an A1 or A2

the results night could be extra expensive if I don't do well!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Well,the results are a few days after my 17th birthday and my brother's 21st...we both get our results that day,so that lessens the potential,and my Debs is just two days after the results. I have a funny feeling my parents will be scabby,to be honest :rolleyes: But again,if I don't get the results I need,I really won't care about that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

My parents have never told any of us that if we get certain grades we get a certain amount of money...its more like, whenever the results come out, we'll get some sorta card and something small!
    A friend who did the junior cert last year was told be her parents beforehand that she'd get €50 for every A....they hadn't much confidence in her, she set them back €300! :D

Yeah,my friend who missed a lot of time this year because she's sick was told by her parents she'd get a euro per point... She's pretty sure she aced them! They'll be sorry...they're paying for her holiday too :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I'm not getting anything... Gah!

Maybe i can extort a laptop out of them...

"Mam, Dad, i got these 300(hoping to get more than that btw :P) points for YOU... Now, get me a laptop >_>"

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Yeah,my friend who missed a lot of time this year because she's sick was told by her parents she'd get a euro per point... She's pretty sure she aced them! They'll be sorry...they're paying for her holiday too :P

haha a euro per point! I like the sound of that! haha
    so 400 points = €400
    Sounds like a proposition :p:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nihilist21

I'm not getting anything, nor want anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

On the subject of bribes, I've always wondered what would happen if you slipped a 50 note in your exam booklet.

Fringe wrote: »
    On the subject of bribes, I've always wondered what would happen if you slipped a 50 note in your exam booklet.

if I was the correcter I would just take your €50 and correct your paper normally :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

5 years in the big house probably (or just a ban-I like being dramatic)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭hopeful_girl

my parents say if i get my number one i get a laptop.

presents are best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I got a laptop for my JC, provided I did lots of study and did well. My sister's getting a laptop after her JC just because I did, no conditions that she studies or does well at all.

I didn't ask/get offered anything for the LC, but seeing as my parents bought my Debs tickets and flights to Barcelona I wouldn' ask for anything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It would be reported. Don't think it hasn't happened. People are very peculiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Been told if I get my college place I'll be given money for a laptop.:cool:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Pity she doesn't know about how much prices have gone up in recent years.

still you should get something nice for it and she may even throw you an extra farthing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Couple of people I know have gotten money and shite. Gona try pawn a David Gray ticket out of it.

Piste wrote: »
    I got a laptop for my JC, provided I did lots of study and did well. My sister's getting a laptop after her JC just because I did, no conditions that she studies or does well at all.

I didn't ask/get offered anything for the LC, but seeing as my parents bought my Debs tickets and flights to Barcelona I wouldn' ask for anything.

Ugh,I hate things like that. So unfair. At least you get Barcelona though after the LC (:

Hmmm,I might ask for money for a gig or something,we'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Saffy

I got E150 for my JC but I dunno if I'll get anything for my LC, if I do probs just some money.
    I'm not going to ask for anything cos I know my parents financial situation has changed since I did my JC plus my sister is already asking for loads cos she's doing her JC:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

As somebody said on the JC thread, my present will be the 100euro for the exams and financial support and accomodation at home for the next 3/4 years if im lucky. I dont have a problem with parents giving their children something nice after their leaving cert but when it's 100euro per honour or a car and holiday, it's a bit ridiculous. It's even worse when it's based on grades. That said, i understand the expensive gifts for the leaving cert but when it's something as trivial and unimportant as the junior cert...! What does a 14/15year old need a laptop for??

Sorry. Rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

What does a 14/15year old need a laptop for??

For their epic and hectic social lives!! Jesus, i remember my 15th year... I went to birthday partys and drank carbonated berverages.... Mad times...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I got €50 for doing my JC (my parents gave it to me on results day before I actually went in and got the results :pac:). This time I'm getting a laptop as my graduation/LC present/general-college-usage. It's nothing to do with results, although if I do manage to get over 500pts, the entrance scholarship for UCD is going straight into my parent's account :P.

Advertisement