Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bribes . . . I mean presents?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭lorna100

Does anyone else not think that the fact that we are lucky enough to be able to sit the leaving and have the oppertunity to go to college is a big enough reason to work?

There are lots of people our age even in this country that dont have the oppertunity to do the leaving, as much as I hate the exams we are all very privileged to be able to do them - that should be reward enough.

IMO anyone who needs to be bribed to do well in an exam that has such a huge effect on their future needs a reality check. You're sitting the exams to help ensure that YOU have a bright future ahead of you, not with the promise that you get a load of money from your parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I don't think anyone on the thread said they needed to be bribed, or even implied they take their parents generosity for granted. Actually some people seem quite surprised that their parents would give them money or presents for sitting the exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

i wish :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Piste wrote: »
    I don't think anyone on the thread said they needed to be bribed, or even implied they take their parents generosity for granted. Actually some people seem quite surprised that their parents would give them money or presents for sitting the exams.

Im talking about it in general, not specifically about the other posters on this thread.

I know anyway in my school, for the JC it was all about how much your parents are giving you. Not so much for the LC, but there are still some people who are only sitting the exams with the promise of cash/a laptop/ paying for their 6th year holiday from their parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

lorna100 wrote: »
    Does anyone else not think that the fact that we are lucky enough to be able to sit the leaving and have the oppertunity to go to college is a big enough reason to work?

There are lots of people our age even in this country that dont have the oppertunity to do the leaving, as much as I hate the exams we are all very privileged to be able to do them - that should be reward enough.

IMO anyone who needs to be bribed to do well in an exam that has such a huge effect on their future needs a reality check. You're sitting the exams to help ensure that YOU have a bright future ahead of you, not with the promise that you get a load of money from your parents.

Yeah i agree. It's a privillage to do the exams and to go to college. As much as i don't want third level fees to be reintroduced, maybe it will stop people taking for granted how lucky we are to have the opportunity to go to college. (btw im not accusing anyone on this thread; it's just the general feeling i get from a lot of leaving cert students)

To be honest, im just really grateful for how my parents have been during the exams. My mam brought me into the exams every morning and collected me too. And she bought loadsa nice food in her weekly shopping. It's rare for her to buy deserts and chocolate and jelly. I felt like i was 12 years old with all the treats i was gettin!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 dontlikeurmam

I have a bet on with my bro where he will match my points in cash over 550:D...He thinks i wont do it...I'm gonna sicken the tight bastard!!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭GallowsGhost

Yeah i agree. It's a privillage to do the exams and to go to college. As much as i don't want third level fees to be reintroduced, maybe it will stop people taking for granted how lucky we are to have the opportunity to go to college. (btw im not accusing anyone on this thread; it's just the general feeling i get from a lot of leaving cert students)
    Maybe, but I doubt it since I suspect the kind of people that think they should be getting rewards for sitting exams are the kind that can well afford the university fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

They're paying for my festival ticket, 240e, and consequential flights to germany, which is about 110e I think, but I'm paying for my own accomodation for a few nights and all my own spending money. My mom also decided she'd get me a dressing table as well as she knows I'm crazy about her one, so that'll be another 200-300e. Tbh she just wants to redecorate my room and this is her angle, :p I'm not being bribed however, I'd want to do well for myself either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

lorna100 wrote: »

Oh get down off your high horse!

We're all grateful to be in a financial situation to sit the LC, however that doesn't mean that we can't receive a few presents off our parents to make us work that little bit harder! Dear god, next thing your going to be suggesting that we all be struck down for being a bunch ungrateful bastards! It's comments like that that really piss me off, there always has to be someone looking down on everyone else from their plateau of inscrutably high morals.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

My parents got me a laptop for doing my exams:D
    but they never buy me anything, i work and pay for everything myself, i was saving for a laptop and then daddy was like "if you want, il take you to down and get you a laptop as a LC present"
    Shoulda seen my face:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

There are grants and means available for those that cannot afford it, and I'm saying I'm not thankful, believe me I am! But it is also nice sometimes along the lines to get a little surprise or reward, it shows that your hard work paid off, and that it wasn't unnoticed. It's nice to be praised for something you put your back into.
    I wasn't expceting anythig, but half way through my Mam told me about the phone and it was a great little pick-me-up when feeling exhausted after some of the exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

To be honest, im just really grateful for how my parents have been during the exams. My mam brought me into the exams every morning and collected me too. And she bought loadsa nice food in her weekly shopping. It's rare for her to buy deserts and chocolate and jelly. I felt like i was 12 years old with all the treats i was gettin!

arent ya just super :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭yummy91

I know loads of people who are getting presents and things but tbh in my house I think that they'd reward me more if I did bad and then stayed living at home.:rolleyes:
    There could be some use in bribes though if you have a waster for a kid who doesn't see the point in doing their LC after working towards it for 6 years(seriously, the person spent 6 years at school then didn't bother to go in for it.:confused:)
    A bribe might've been a good idea there:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

there's been no mention of it yet, but I'd say my dad will give me money if i do well. I don't see any probelm with that, as its not a bribe, it's a congratulations present!
    I know a couple of people getting cars/holidays if they do well and I think it's a bit stupid, but really theie parents would give them these things anyway, the LC is just an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭GallowsGhost

yummy91 wrote: »
    I know loads of people who are getting presents and things but tbh in my house I think that they'd reward me more if I did bad and then stayed living at home.:rolleyes:
    There could be some use in bribes though if you have a waster for a kid who doesn't see the point in doing their LC after working towards it for 6 years(seriously, the person spent 6 years at school then didn't bother to go in for it.:confused:)
    A bribe might've been a good idea there:pac:
    It's a bit of a waste though, if they're not even bothered enough to actually do the exam, a bribe will make no difference in the long run.
    Better to just let them not do what they want and then maybe when they realise how important those exams are, they might go back to school and actually work this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭internetaddict

spurious wrote: »
    It would be reported. Don't think it hasn't happened. People are very peculiar.
    Yeah it's in the exam guideline booklet. I can't believe someone actually did it in the past

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Clodidah

Yea people put money into their papers every year. One of my uncles corrects honours maths and says he gets 300/400 euroish every year from people doing that... He dosnt report it though, cos that would involve going to Athlone and filling out paperwork, so just pockets it and corrects the same anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

To be honest i wouldn't like to take any thing off my parents like nxt year is going to be expensive;
    • accomodation
    • Books
    • Registration fee
    • laptop
    • ect
    Personaly im going to wait till september and milk them dry;)

:D

Oh get down off your high horse!

We're all grateful to be in a financial situation to sit the LC, however that doesn't mean that we can't receive a few presents off our parents to make us work that little bit harder! Dear god, next thing your going to be suggesting that we all be struck down for being a bunch ungrateful bastards! It's comments like that that really piss me off, there always has to be someone looking down on everyone else from their plateau of inscrutably high morals.

So by saying that I dont think its right to have to bribe someone to do well in an exam, im going to be suggesting that you're all struck down from being a bunch of ungreatful bastards?
    Dont quite see the logic..
    insrcutably high morals, ahem no, Im pointing out that we're all damn lucky to be in this position and should WANT to do well for ourselves, not just to get presents from parents.
    Why would presents make you work harder? the satisfaction of working harder comes from seeing a good grade/getting into the course you want - no amount of money is going to get it for you. And I cant see how you think im looking down on people :confused:
    its one thing to acknolodge (sp?) someones efforts, but completly different if presents is where they get their ambition to work a bit harder.

And Mr.S, I can see the point of it to get someone through school, but for every college exam are they gonna get presents, for every job interview? People cant be bribed into wanting sucess and working for it - that has to come from themselves.

And hell, I'd love a holiday paid for by my parents, or a laptop etc - but it wouldnt make me work harder. a laptop is hardly gonna influence the rest of my life - the course I hopefully get into will. If you know what I mean?

It's a bit of a waste though, if they're not even bothered enough to actually do the exam, a bribe will make no difference in the long run.
    Better to just let them not do what they want and then maybe when they realise how important those exams are, they might go back to school and actually work this time.

thats exactly what Im trying to say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Last year my parents told me they'd give me €600 if I got 600 points...
    It was something of an empty promise seeing as we all knew it'd never happen :P

There's been no mention of any presents this year though!
    They're letting me mooch off them for new outfits/ money to go out after the exams so, grand job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

arent ya just super :rolleyes:

Fantastic input there. Really. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭-ilikeshorts

I've a bet with my brother. For every 10 points I beat him by he'll give me 20 euro but I owe him 10 for every 10 I lose by. He got 490 so I reckon either I'll owe him or no money will exchange hands I find it helps though there would be nothing better than to beat him by 10 though

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

My parents gave me money after my JC, not a bribe, but more of a reward and a congratulations. Also got money from lots of relations when I got my results, that was unexpected - I guess most people do though?

I agree that bribing people into working is fairly pointless - Parents (or anyone else) can't pay you to make an effort for the rest of your life, so they're just doing more damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Well, when I was in 6th class my rents said if I god a scholarship they would pay my school fees directly to me (alright I sound horrifically affluent here, my school fees are around 6k a year). Now I didn't get the scholarship, but thats beside the point. The logic for them was in essence they would still save because for the rest of my life they would probably tell me to **** off if I asked for anything.

Similarly my parents have offered to cover my flights to hungary if I get my first choice course (at 550 its quite close) however its midly selfish, because if I get my first choice course once I am employed and I am supporting them the money will come back.

As a challenge they said I can have a car if I get 600, but thats not happening really.

I must confess they are entirely paying for my interrailing this summer as an 18th present provided I do one fairly large job on the garden.

My opinion on presents, businesses offer bonuses to employees who do better than they have to, why shouldn't parents. At the end of the day some parents buy a new car for themselves every year just for bragging rights, but no 09 model matches a 600 point leaving cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭damienricefan

my mam said she'd give me the money value of what I got in points

but that was aaggges ago and a trip to paris and oxegen on top of that I dont think it's gonna happen

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nihilist21

errlloyd wrote: »
    My opinion on presents, businesses offer bonuses to employees who do better than they have to, why shouldn't parents.

I think that's a pretty faulty argument, mainly because employees earn their business/employer money, ergo in the event of surpassing targets the employer has more funds and can afford to pay a bonus. At the end of the day if one gets more points than they need they should be happy they did so well, you deserve what you get and the onus is on the candidate to be happy with their result - not happy with what they'll get for it (well, bar the college place :)).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I think given the current economic climate its stupid to ask for or even recieve a present for "doing well" I'd be quite offended if I was given money and even more if it was based on money. "There ya go, told ya you could do it" The satisfaction of doing well would be enough for me. Its wrong to expect money for doing something right especially over something like the LC. For those of us that have part time jobs, just because you gave a little extra or worked that little harder, does that mean you should get a once off bonus, every time? No and welcome to the real world.

Money shouldn't be given out just like that. Yeah, you did well and congrats but it was hardly an employment. You had to do it and your reward should be the contents of the envelope in August, not the deficit you put in your parents bank balance.

And what possible good is a few extra euro? What are you honestly going to spend it on? Work hard for your money and the satisfaction is much greater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

My brother is convinced that i'm going to do poorly, so he said he'd give me 20quid for every A haha!
    The only A i think i'm going to get is Music, and B's in everything else, but im happy with that.

Money/presents shouldnt be the incentive to do well. Your future & college places should.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭7Steve

My brother got around €400 after his leaving, it was an encouragement for him to study. He was told about it in Februaury, I think, that the reward would totally depend on his results (around €800 for 600 points).

Me, on the other hand, I was offered nothing. I have been told nothing about it so far. With only one exam left, it doesnt look like I'll be getting any reward :(.

Advertisement