Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare characters #1: old beardy homeless guy in Ennis

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

trish990 wrote: »
    His name was John and he died a couple of months ago.

I think I knew this man as well. He was very tall, maybe 6ft2 with white hair. Always wore a long coat. Was sitting in Abrakebra one day and smiled at him and he came and talked to me for a quarter of an hour. Used to see him walking around town alot. He wasn't entirely there anymore though so he got annoyed at me the few times I tried to talk to him. Hope he's off someplace where he's peaceful now anyway (assuming this is the right person I'm thinking of). RIP John.

Just got back from the taxi office now and a cab pulled up with a hysterical driver in it shouting 'get her out of the car'. The girl inside was blind drunk and she's damaged alot of the car and cracked the windscreen with her foot while it was standing there. The driver shoved her out onto the road and pulled off. I picked her up and waited till the guards arrived. Her feet were all cut to pieces. I hope they took her into Limerick to the A&E because she was fairly hurt. It's times like this I'm sorry the Ennis hospital is closed because it'd be nice for people to be able to have an ambulance drop them over in these situations, drunk or not. I could easily fall over drunk some night and hit my head and the likelyhood of me ending up in Limerick would be pretty slim unless a friend or family member was present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭eddiehobbs

ktc1 wrote: »
    Does anyone remember Bakers shop (1970's)

Would that be Bakers that was on barrack street???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭eddiehobbs

Theres an really old woman ive seen a good few times thumbing a lift into ennis out on the tulla road, dont suppose anyone knows who she is??, always around the same time in the morning, maybe 10 ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

That was Fr Stan, known for the 30 minute mass. No idea what happened to him.

I remember him! I think he used to play the fiddle.

I think the "champ" used to be a security guard in Quinnsworth back in the eighties. I remember him wearing a uniform back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

I think Father Stan went to a new parish. Don't know where, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ktc1

eddiehobbs wrote: »
    Would that be Bakers that was on barrack street???

Nope, this was at the top of Abbey Street.

I remember there was a small abbattoir off Barrack lane where the lane is to the back entrance of the multi story. I remember walking up there and the blood flowing into the gutters from some sheep or lambs that just been killed. I'd say health and safety guidelines were unknown back then.

I wish there were photos available of Ennis streets in the 1970's just to remember what shops were where back then. I remember the Gaiety Cinema being where Dunnes is now and when the Ennis Cash was where Cassidy's pharmacy is now, and so many others. The square and Bank place used to be full of live turkeys for sale at Christmas time. Ah nostalgia. I used to walk through town on my own to the Holy Family for junior infants. I can't imagine too many 4.5 year olds being allowed to do that now.

Sean Spring the barber at the bottom of Abbey Street is a great man to discuss all the old characters and shops with, and never a bit of malice in Sean's memories. A real gent who's been scalping heads in Ennis for 50 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Was Bakers a toy shop? Used to get all my Airfix planes and Dinky cars in a toy shop along there in the early 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

I think that the Ennis Library have old photos of clare online, although you will have to go through them for ennis pics. I love to look at old photos of ennis and to remember the changes, such as Knox's the original supermarket, McMahons toyshop.
    As for Sean Spring, one of the great characters of ennis, love going there to get the hair cut, great for a chat, will always be able to tell you about your family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭palaver

Back to Meehan's.
    I loved that shop, the only one where I could get brown licorice flavoured roll up papers or the oulde clay pipes as gifts for friends. No more, apparantly. It's definitely closed? Whenever I pass the shop there is the latest edition of the Clare Champion displayed. So I thought I got my timing wrong.

As for the mullet guy. He was the first one who gave me a feeling of welcome after I moved to Ennis. Don't live there anymore btw. But I still go for shopping to Ennis and whenever I see him - he still waves enthusiastically - I remember that I felt welcome in Ennis. I actually thought that everyone is as welcoming as him. What a delusion...
    He used to wipe the floors at Quinnsworth first time I met him.
    The last time i saw him was at the café in Arthur's Row. I was looking for a seat and he waved frantically from the only free outdoor table. Wasn't too bothered to join him so I moved on. Just wanted a quiet place for a coffee and a smoke. No chitchat.
    Does he ever chat or just wave? Maybe I should find out myself next time.

And the lady hitchhiking from Ennis on the Tulla Road? I've seen her serveral times in Tulla, but never hitchhiking. Will pick her up next time and squeeze her for stories.

There are lovely characters in Ennis and surounds. Wouldn't want to miss them.

Edit: The Clare Champion has a huge archive of photos from times past. They publish it now and again in the paper. Would be a good idea for a coffee table book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

wasnt this thread supposed to be about an old beardy guy? nobody but myself and bowsie seem to know him, check out that youtube video a few posts back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ktc1

ollaetta wrote: »
    Was Bakers a toy shop? Used to get all my Airfix planes and Dinky cars in a toy shop along there in the early 70s.

That's the one, glad someone else remembers it. I used get all my Subbuteo stuff in Tierneys. I was in there last year and had a great chat with Mr Tierney, who's into his eighties now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Amy33

branie wrote: »
    I think Father Stan went to a new parish. Don't know where, though.

He left the friars about 10 years ago to get married.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 whomsoever

eddiehobbs wrote: »
    Theres an really old woman ive seen a good few times thumbing a lift into ennis out on the tulla road, dont suppose anyone knows who she is??, always around the same time in the morning, maybe 10 ish.

Is she in her 70s, but as lively as a bee, very thin with bobbed hair, free spirit? If it is the same lady I'm thinking of, her name is Chris. Very articulate and interesting woman.

Fr. Stan was also a part of the Ennis Musical Society

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭gailgo

I've always wanted to ask about this guy, and am sure there's plenty more "characters" out there to be discussed....(none more so than my namesake).

Does anyone know anything about the old homeless guy with the beard who was around town for years? I think he died 5-10 years ago. He always gave the impression of being a down-on-his-luck nice guy rather than an out and out knack.

Have heard rumours (Ennis is terrible for them :rolleyes: ) that he was from a rich family and left it all behind....usual crap.

Does anyone know some facts ? ...if not, your own rumours / conspiracy theory will do, or just make something up !
    this guy had a very sad story he was a collage lecturer, and his wife and two kids got killed in a car accident and he took it so bad he took to the streets

gailgo wrote: »
    this guy had a very sad story he was a collage lecturer, and his wife and two kids got killed in a car accident and he took it so bad he took to the streets

Thas what the guy himself said, but nobody ever knew if he was serious. It was as if he would tell you it to get symphaty. Im not saying its not true, just sceptible as no one else knew about his past. Like I said "Sean" was his name and he was a begger that would call to your door for change.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jocksandsocks

clare9597 wrote: »
    does anyone remeber the really skin guy who used to do the dance offs in pockets and would take his top off. was the skinniest fella ive ever seen. used to always be out of his mind. haven't seen him around in ages

noel lyons is that fella your thinking of his still knocking around town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 carmel45

asmobhosca wrote: »
    anyone remember Michael Tierney Ennis's most renowned Newspaper selling transvestite??? He used to sell papers outside mass at the cathedral....:D
    i remember him well walking around ennis with his dog called paddy.
    he loved to dress up but he didnt like kids like me and my friends coz
    we would always tell him he looked lovely but not in a nice way so he'd try to hit us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 carmel45

:P
    carmel45 wrote: »
    i remember him well walking around ennis with his dog called paddy.
    he loved to dress up but he didnt like kids like me and my friends coz
    we would always tell him he looked lovely but not in a nice way so he'd try to hit us

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Jafin

His name was John and he died a couple of months ago.

Is he the fella that lived in the flats between Centra and Kelly's Korner?
    He would be walking around town the whole day and get a coffee or a tea in Dunnes and sit for hours almost.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Amy33

Jafin wrote: »
    Is he the fella that lived in the flats between Centra and Kelly's Korner?
    He would be walking around town the whole day and get a coffee or a tea in Dunnes and sit for hours almost.

Ya, that's him.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Jafin

Ya, that's him.

Ah crap,
    he was a nice oul crater, I useta make him a cup of tea or coffee whenever he came in to me at Kelly's Korner...poor fella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭daveywavey08

Mullet man is a neighbour of mine what a chap. I haven't read all this thread yet but I saw 'transvestite' mentioned a few times. Basically I was walking through Ennis before I moved away (in January) and I saw a 60 year old man with glasses and grey curly hair, wearing a suit with a briefcase walking down The Height. Thought nothing of it at first until I heard the clip-clap of womens shoes as he passed me. Turned around to see him wearing heels, tights and a skirt under the suit jacket.
    "Did I just see that?", I says to a randomer beside me. "Yep!"

Any ideas who he might be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭daveywavey08

Also, anyone remember the very fat guy called Harvey who lived in Cahercalla Estate? Always went for long walks around town most evenings. What was his story?

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭dohboy

Quality thread.

Sean the Begger was a nice skin. Used to call to the house and ma would give him fifty pence.

Black Jack was a scary dude who used to live up the tracks. He ate school children apparently.

dohboy wrote: »
    Quality thread.

Sean the Begger was a nice skin. Used to call to the house and ma would give him fifty pence.

Black Jack was a scary dude who used to live up the tracks. He ate school children apparently.

From what I rememeber, he was harmless. Concerned mothers nicknamed him that so the kids would keep away from him, becuase he looked scary with the jacket covering the head, but nobody really knew him... all he wanted was to be left alone... he met his end in a very bad way, been sliced up by a passing train. RIP

Anyone seen the Taxi Driver-era Robert deNiro busker? Leather jacket, green jumper, boots and shades? What is his deal? His guitar playing is weak.

Yeah, I've seen him outside the front of Dunne's

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭happytime

bearded homeless guy?

I think his name is Eric Considine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭bantee

Saw "the Champ" crossing the road in front of me yesterday on the Mill Road. He gave a big salute to me in the car. It brightened up my day!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement