Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare characters #1: old beardy homeless guy in Ennis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

and what about georgie meehan, and his infamous shop of treasures
    he used sell us single fags and stink bombs when we were 12
    i dunno is he still at it, sometimes i drive past and the shop door is closed, this is during school lunch, his busiest, i heard he's made close at lunch cos he's still up to his old antics, i dont know how true that is tho !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Ah Georgie, he used to buy the milk, bread and papers in Tesco on his way to opening the shop. I bought a paper there once, it was 3 days old. I think that he sold up to the Lyon's, but had a condition that he could stay open until they needed to knock the shop to do up Sullies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭asmobhosca

Clareman wrote: »
    Ah Georgie, he used to buy the milk, bread and papers in Tesco on his way to opening the shop. I bought a paper there once, it was 3 days old. I think that he sold up to the Lyon's, but had a condition that he could stay open until they needed to knock the shop to do up Sullies

I'd doubt it, he was looking for a million euro at the time he was trying to sell and so it never sold, he missed the boat. As for sullies, the lynes dont own sullies, peter considine does its just been leased out to someone else....but that place is falling down would need a hell of a lot of money

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Sullies was sold, well, it's a complicated story that might be completely wrong but close, someone was leasing it and had an option to buy, so they sold the option to buy, then Peter Considine went back and said that the option to sell wasn't transferable or something like that, so it wasn't sold, but it was sold at 1 stage which was why Georgie sold up and started coining it in, or so the rumours

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

BOBBY wrote: »
    i dunno is he still at it, sometimes i drive past and the shop door is closed, this is during school lunch, his busiest, i heard he's made close at lunch cos he's still up to his old antics, i dont know how true that is tho !

Its true alright. He's been selling fags to students and s**t so hes to only open up late at night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭asmobhosca

Clareman wrote: »
    Sullies was sold, well, it's a complicated story that might be completely wrong but close, someone was leasing it and had an option to buy, so they sold the option to buy, then Peter Considine went back and said that the option to sell wasn't transferable or something like that, so it wasn't sold, but it was sold at 1 stage which was why Georgie sold up and started coining it in, or so the rumours

youre almost right, the sale of sullies to anyone from peter considine never actually happened, he gave an option to sullie to buy when he leased it off him... then bought the option back which is why peter considine put it up for auction last febuary (it didnt sell).

Giving someone an option to buy is nowhere near actually selling something.

Georgie meehan wont get his million euro now....he'd be lucky to get 250k, he should have taken the offers he got at the time, heard from an auctioneer at the time that he was offered over 750k....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Georgie Meehan's, yeah, I remember when my brother went in there to get straws and when he came out he had a bunch of McDonald straws in his hand!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 gerrimac

I know this man. I hope he never reads these posts as I think he would be very hurt. :confused: He treats others with respect and I feel that the same courtesy should be shown to him. He has a very positive outlook on life which is surprising - as he did not have a very nice life...
    What harm is it to wave at him should he wave at you?
    Kindness costs nothing.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 clare9597

does anyone remeber the really skin guy who used to do the dance offs in pockets and would take his top off. was the skinniest fella ive ever seen. used to always be out of his mind. haven't seen him around in ages

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭bantee

gerrimac wrote: »
    I know this man. I hope he never reads these posts as I think he would be very hurt. :confused: He treats others with respect and I feel that the same courtesy should be shown to him. He has a very positive outlook on life which is surprising - as he did not have a very nice life...
    What harm is it to wave at him should he wave at you?
    Kindness costs nothing.:)

Ha thanks for the bible lesson. I will be sure to tip my hat to him the next time I see him :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Well.... would you like to be spoken of as he has been on here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Teadrinker

Gerrimac, I think the key to the attitude is in the name of the thread - they are discussing 'characters' - as if they were from films or cartoons - little realization or care that these are real people, past and present, with real lives, in many cases very difficult lives, and as for the discussion of people's business practices? - well, imagine the legal eagles who would descend on boards.ie should the discussion stretch to the business practices of the powers that be in Ennis? But it won't of course - this is about those perceived as 'other' and powerless to fight back against slurs on them or disclosure, correct or otherwise, of the very personal details of their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭bantee

Who? The Champ? Don't think there has been anything too nasty said.
    I was giving my opinion about him on a public thread. If the moderators deem it to be over the top, they can delete my post or ban me and the others who have given their opinions on "characters" of Clare.

You have to admit, that anyone who sports a 80's mullet and who acts a bit "strangely" is going to attract attention. All IMO of course.

If someone can realise that they stand out for being a bit different, they should be conscious that people are going to talk about them, either in real life, or on a public discussion board about Clare.

Take a wander into the Limerick thread, and you will find many similar posts about the "characters" there.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ktc1

Teadrinker wrote: »
    Gerrimac, I think the key to the attitude is in the name of the thread - they are discussing 'characters' - as if they were from films or cartoons - little realization or care that these are real people, past and present, with real lives, in many cases very difficult lives, and as for the discussion of people's business practices? - well, imagine the legal eagles who would descend on boards.ie should the discussion stretch to the business practices of the powers that be in Ennis? But it won't of course - this is about those perceived as 'other' and powerless to fight back against slurs on them or disclosure, correct or otherwise, of the very personal details of their lives.

I think you need to chill out, this is a laid back discussion and people are reminiscing on a forum about characters in our town, not an RTE expose to the country. I referred to Bowsie's business practices as the man passed away over ten years ago I believe, and the dead can't sue. I'll be more than happy to discuss online the business practices of the current luminaries in Ennis after they die. This isn't cowardice, it's common sense given the way that the legal system in this country is skewed massively towards those with money, and again it'll be in the context of a chat between a few interested people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Teadrinker

ktc1 wrote: »
    I think you need to chill out, this is a laid back discussion and people are reminiscing on a forum about characters in our town, not an RTE expose to the country. I referred to Bowsie's business practices as the man passed away over ten years ago I believe, and the dead can't sue. I'll be more than happy to discuss online the business practices of the current luminaries in Ennis after they die. This isn't cowardice, it's common sense given the way that the legal system in this country is skewed massively towards those with money, and again it'll be in the context of a chat between a few interested people.

Let me break this to you gently: if you want to be surrounded by likeminded people for a private chat, the internet may not be the most comfortable place for you to do it.

Bobby says: nut job always waving by that roundabout in cc

Bowsie Casey says: He's a regular fruitcake....

Claregirl says: Don't wave back!!!

Insulting B**** says: Take her advice...DO NOT WAVE BACK.

drunken Munky 52 says: yeah a bit cracked.

Blitz Molloy says: Mullet guy from Clarecastle is kind of obnoxious. I think that's the main reason not to wave back.

I have no problem with discussing 'Characters' - we all know one or two.

However, it seems to me that the other 'Characters' spoken about, were spared the personal insults...

Perhaps you need to ask yourselves why you feel it necessary to pass these comments about this man (who is related to me), or indeed anyone else for that matter.

"Whom they fear, they hate"
    Quintus Ennius

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Claregirl

Welcome to Boards Newbie! First you know the guy.... Second you're related.... OMG is it you????;)

Thanks for the welcome Claregirl. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 matt007

Now I'm sure this guy wears shades normally and it's
    not intentional that you may think he is blind (as I
    did when I first saw him) and give him money.
    But today he has a new chair, which has big wheels
    and I'm sure it's unitentional and he's a thourougly nice
    chap and all, but well it does look like a wheelchair..
    Business must be good.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

I know the names of almost every one of these characters. I could mention them, even the mullet dude (who i apologise for saying he was "cracked"), hes just really stands out and thats why we are taling about him. Thats what characters do. No names of the living will be mentioned on this thread.

Back to characters anyway! Anyone seen "Daddy" (thats my nickname for him) lately? The tall fella with the tweed and long navy thenchcoat! He was always seen nearly in the Dunnes Cafe looking at the world go by. Havnt seen him in a while, anyone know about him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭EOB32

Bobby says: nut job always waving by that roundabout in cc

Bowsie Casey says: He's a regular fruitcake....

Claregirl says: Don't wave back!!!

Insulting B**** says: Take her advice...DO NOT WAVE BACK.

drunken Munky 52 says: yeah a bit cracked.

Blitz Molloy says: Mullet guy from Clarecastle is kind of obnoxious. I think that's the main reason not to wave back.

I have no problem with discussing 'Characters' - we all know one or two.

However, it seems to me that the other 'Characters' spoken about, were spared the personal insults...

Perhaps you need to ask yourselves why you feel it necessary to pass these comments about this man (who is related to me), or indeed anyone else for that matter.

"Whom they fear, they hate"
    Quintus Ennius

Have to agree with gerrimac. The lad with the mullet seems like a sound enough fella. Whats wrong with bein nice and waving at people??

EOB32 wrote: »
    Have to agree with gerrimac. The lad with the mullet seems like a sound enough fella. Whats wrong with bein nice and waving at people??

When he used to sweep the floors in Quinnsworth aswell, he would say hello to everyone too. He would talk the back off you aswell, hed ask you what you had for tea!

Theres nothing wrong with it, its just so out of the ordinary and because of his fashion style it makes your first impression of him think he it crazy, but he actually isnt, just a bit nosy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Fair point actually. Still, a few people said nice things as well. :D

I think this is what the media call 'cyber-bullying'.

Teadrinker wrote: »
    Let me break this to you gently: if you want to be surrounded by likeminded people for a private chat, the internet may not be the most comfortable place for you to do it.

Let me break this gently to you: I never said nor implied what you attribute to me above, so please don't misrepresent me.

You disagreed with the tenor of the thread as is your right.
    I disagreed with your interpretation as is my right. Please note I said "chill out", not "get out"

You are of course free to disagree with the substance of my initial reply to you, but I'd rather you didn't do so by drawing false conclusions and ascribing them to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

I agree ktc1,it's been a harmless, informal discussion on characters and legends.Seems craic and character are still alive in Clare.Not only famous for music.Most interesting and proves the belief that a place can be unique in terms of character,wit,observation and in Clare the natives are really good at spinning a yarn.Up the Banner! Love going down there.:)

BOBBY wrote: »

Would that be George Junior? I can remember old George. Back in the 70's there used to be a gorgeous smell of fresh pipe tobacco when you went into the shop. I can still smell it in my mind every time I pass by the door.

Does anyone remember Bakers shop (1970's) that used to be around where Costelloe's real estate shop is now. They used to sell records and I think toys. All I can recall is how dour they were and how they ran kids out of the shop if they weren't with adults, even if they were looking to buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Amy33

I know the names of almost every one of these characters. I could mention them, even the mullet dude (who i apologise for saying he was "cracked"), hes just really stands out and thats why we are taling about him. Thats what characters do. No names of the living will be mentioned on this thread.

Back to characters anyway! Anyone seen "Daddy" (thats my nickname for him) lately? The tall fella with the tweed and long navy thenchcoat! He was always seen nearly in the Dunnes Cafe looking at the world go by. Havnt seen him in a while, anyone know about him?

His name was John and he died a couple of months ago.

trish990 wrote: »
    His name was John and he died a couple of months ago.

R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

Did John wear a beret as well?

• Advertisement

Passed mullet dude this eveing, walking past the maxol station, got a wave . He is perfectly normal from what i know so far, whos to say he wasnt raised to be corteus? I waved back, not a bother. Irish people always say hello or thanks to strangers anyways, so whats so different about a stranger waving? Wave back next time, you wouldnt ignore someone who said hello to your face.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement