Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debs - I till havnt found anyone - Beginning to get worried

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cryano

Lads.. Im so worried.. my friend is in bits. Her date cancelled for holiday!:mad: Our debs is so soon. Goin to an all girls school, where going on your own would be TERRIBLE and with another girl would be SCANDALOUS. Im panickin cos shes panicking. She doesnt know that many boys tbh. Any ideas?:(

When you say your friend is in bits do you mean ugly (hence why she hasnt got a date) or do you mean she very upset? Cos if shes ugly she may as well stay home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

cryano wrote: »
    When you say your friend is in bits do you mean ugly (hence why she hasnt got a date) or do you mean she very upset? Cos if shes ugly she may as well stay home.

Blondiegirl I think we may have found your friend a date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 purepwnage

thats a little mean, and seriously, i know a girl who went to like 5 debs in one year, and i didnt go to any, its pretty over rated, and there probably will be ablot of drama there, (well for my school there was loads which i avoided), mine was in september so i had an excuse that i had college etc etc in another city

and since the OP is from an all boys school, chances are if you go there, you wont be the only one without a girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭Dante

Lads.. Im so worried.. my friend is in bits. Her date cancelled for holiday!:mad: Our debs is so soon. Goin to an all girls school, where going on your own would be TERRIBLE and with another girl would be SCANDALOUS. Im panickin cos shes panicking. She doesnt know that many boys tbh. Any ideas?:(

I'll go if shes hot and pays for me! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

And yet you still question as to how you remain a virgin. :P

Where's your debs on? Sure I'll go with her.

Here's a picture of myself.

219743545219779.jpg

But seriously not having a date isn't a big deal unless you make it a big deal. I didn't have a date for my debs and I still had a good night.

If friends and peers make it out to be such a big deal to have a date then don't listen to them.

If your friend is really keen on having a date then there's plenty of guys out there. We've not all disappeared off the face of the planet. If worse comes to worse you could just get a good friend of yours or a relative.

You're obviously young so just go out this weekend and get talking to some people. Easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

i still havent asked a girl to my debs yet and its on in mid-september.but i was out with one of my mates and she seemed keen to go once i said that i didnt have anyone yet.whether she was messing or not,i dont know but i'll ask my mate to ask her if she wants to go with me.the only thing i'm worried about is have i left it too late.i mean she needs to get her dress,i need to get a suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 purepwnage

i still havent asked a girl to my debs yet and its on in mid-september.but i was out with one of my mates and she seemed keen to go once i said that i didnt have anyone yet.whether she was messing or not,i dont know but i'll ask my mate to ask her if she wants to go with me.the only thing i'm worried about is have i left it too late.i mean she needs to get her dress,i need to get a suit.

dude have some balls, ask her out yourself, what the ****? this is what is wrong with today's soceity, men/boys not having the balls to talk to a girl properly

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

C'mere to me.

I don't have anyone either!

I finally worked up the courage to asked a male friend of mine and he said yeah sure, I'd love to. However his girlfriend of a month flipped the lid and threatened to break up with him if he did go so he couldn't.

Cue me feeling really bad.
    I was having loads of bad dreams about it and as I go to an all-girls school, I felt that if I didn't bring someone I would be severely bitched about.

Then I began to see it really isn't that big of a deal.
    Seriously. It's ONE part of the night.

So then I said **** it and sent an invite to a friend in Dublin who I've known for 2 years. While we haven't talked in ages I felt that he'd be comfortable in the situation and I'd have a good time with him too.
    Unfortunately he's used up all his time from work so can't get time off but i wasn't devastated.

I've just under a month till my Debs and to be honest, at this stage I really don't mind going on my own BECAUSE I'm not going on my own. I've all my friends.
    :D

/rant

Mind you, I'll try one more friend I'd feel comfortable with bringing but if he can't come, I'll leave it to rest. I don't like using people I barely know just to have a guy on my arm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

Ah this deb thing is too much stress!! Really thinkin bout skipping most of it altogether. But...don't think they'll refund my ticket! I need a good excuse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

Ask her yourself mate. She'll say yes unless she actually can't go because of a holiday/other commitment. Guarenteed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

andyman wrote: »
    Ask her yourself mate.
    Iz right!

Seriously, why would you get your mate to ask her? 0_o

Go for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Fck the Debs, just a glorified night out which costs wayyyy too much!

Wednesday night is gonna be the night!

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭browner85

ill go wit ya!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dermo1990

You should ask her yourself....the worst that can happen is she says no, but odds are she'd probably say yes

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

Iz right!

Seriously, why would you get your mate to ask her? 0_o

Go for it!

the reason being that i only met her once and i feel it would be a bit awkward asking someone i dont really know at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Yeah I'm pretty sure I won't be going to mine. Not because I can't get a date or anything, just the whole thing sounds like a pile of ****. I mean, ours is a meal, then into a night club in a hotel. Night clubs in hotels just sound so wrong, sounds like a real culchie thing (no offence anyone). Then there's the cost of it, all that money just for a glorified piss up? I don't think so...

There's a few lads in my year who have decided not to go so I think I'll join them. A few of us are gonna book a holiday around the time of our debs to I Love Techno in Belgium (I'm loving the lineup so far - Bloody Beetroots, Deadmau5, Boys Noize, Fake Blood.....:)) which will be money spent a hell of a lot better than the debs imo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭JW91

I can never figure out why people wouldn't go to their own debs. It's one last night out with all of your friends from school. It'll be one of the best nights out of the year.

Yes it is a bit expensive but it's only one night in the year. You'll probably regret it for the rest of your live if you don't go. You'll never have a night out like it again.

Everyone always enjoys the debs and I think you'd want to be a bit odd not to want to go to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I really don't get how people find it hard to find debs dates...

There were a few girls in my year last year- a group of 3 of them I think- who didn't have dates/ their dates pulled out/ something.
    However, they were going on holidays straight after the results until like... a day before the debs.

They got us to go out to our local and ask 3 random boys who they'd never met before to go with them. We showed photos and promised them a good night.
    They went.
    That easy.
    JOB.

Also, one or two went alone and had a great night. It's not like you stay latched to your fella/ laydee all night or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Jello wrote: »
    Yeah I'm pretty sure I won't be going to mine. Not because I can't get a date or anything, just the whole thing sounds like a pile of ****. I mean, ours is a meal, then into a night club in a hotel. Night clubs in hotels just sound so wrong, sounds like a real culchie thing (no offence anyone). Then there's the cost of it, all that money just for a glorified piss up? I don't think so...

There's a few lads in my year who have decided not to go so I think I'll join them. A few of us are gonna book a holiday around the time of our debs to I Love Techno in Belgium (I'm loving the lineup so far - Bloody Beetroots, Deadmau5, Boys Noize, Fake Blood.....:)) which will be money spent a hell of a lot better than the debs imo!

I'm from Dublin as well and went to a mate's debs down in the country a few days ago. I had a great time. Honestly the nightclub in the hotel was pretty good, even though they repeated some songs about 4 times.lol. The most important thing about the debs is the atmosphere, and yeah it is a piss up for a lot of people but that doesn't have to be you. A lot of people really drank but I wanted to remember the night as it was my first debs. My date didn't drink either so we didn't spend much on drink, nor did her friends.

I'm going to another debs in august and then I have mine in October- which is really late but my school is like that. Personally I'm not really looking forward to mine even though I've a date sorted for it. As I said it's the atmosphere that's important. For me it's daunting as a lot of people in my year don't really know me, so I'm hoping that my school mates will help me loosen up. A few people at the one I went to, went alone and it didn't really matter at all. Although at the same time i'd say that in some schools (mine) it would.

Basically if you wanna date it's possible you just have to ask people you know,etc and eventually you'll be successful. Mid september is time enough to find a date. Even if you have girls on bebo that you know and met before ask them- sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

JW91 wrote: »
    I can never figure out why people wouldn't go to their own debs. It's one last night out with all of your friends from school.

Most of my friends are from outside school. The few I had in school I still see regularly enough (sure I was only just drinking with them on Wednesday...). I can't stand the rest of my year and quite frankly don't ever want to see them again.

Perfect reason :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

djcervi wrote: »
    I'm from Dublin as well and went to a mate's debs down in the country a few days ago. I had a great time. Honestly the nightclub in the hotel was pretty good, even though they repeated some songs about 4 times.lol. The most important thing about the debs is the atmosphere, and yeah it is a piss up for a lot of people but that doesn't have to be you. A lot of people really drank but I wanted to remember the night as it was my first debs. My date didn't drink either so we didn't spend much on drink, nor did her friends.

I'm going to another debs in august and then I have mine in October- which is really late but my school is like that. Personally I'm not really looking forward to mine even though I've a date sorted for it. As I said it's the atmosphere that's important. For me it's daunting as a lot of people in my year don't really know me, so I'm hoping that my school mates will help me loosen up. A few people at the one I went to, went alone and it didn't really matter at all. Although at the same time i'd say that in some schools (mine) it would.

Don't get me wrong I've nothing against a piss up, it's just I don't think you get enough in return from the debs for the money you're paying. I can think of other ways to spend the money where I'll enjoy myself a lot more (in my case the festival in Belgium).

It's one last night out with all of your friends from school.
    Certainly won't be that case for me. I've had plenty of nights out with loads of school friends since the LC finished and I can't see that stopping any time soon. Those who I haven't seen since the LC finished are those who I won't really care if I see ever again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Mr.Helpful

I don't have any one either....no biggy! I probally will go on my own if I dont find anyone. Plus its cheaper as you dont have buy chocolates, flowers and the crochet thing. However I bought two tickets as I was with my gf back then however we've broken up since and we aint on speaking terms!

One other thing, you dont have to worry about getting the date home in one piece, its just yourself less of a pain IMO! :D

Mr.Helpful wrote: »
    I don't have any one either....no biggy! I probally will go on my own if I dont find anyone. Plus its cheaper as you dont have buy chocolates, flowers and the crochet thing. However I bought two tickets as I was with my gf back then however we've broken up since and we aint on speaking terms!

One other thing, you dont have to worry about getting the date home in one piece, its just yourself less of a pain IMO! :D

Generally when someone goes way over the top explaining how happy they are to be doing something (as you have just done) it means that in reality they are thinking the total opposite and are just trying to convince themselves they are happy doing what they are doing!

So my theory is that you were desperate to bring someone with you but no one wanted to go with you/you couldn't think of anyone to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, you really know how to make people feel good on this forum. First your "The Leaving is easy" topic and now exploring the psyche of a person you've never met!

I too am going solo but not because I didn't ask someone and not because they didn't want to go. Due to really ****ty timing on both our parts.
    But it's not that big of a deal.
    And I'm NOT trying to convince myself of that fact.
    It's a glorified piss up after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Mr.Helpful

Generally when someone goes way over the top explaining how happy they are to be doing something (as you have just done) it means that in reality they are thinking the total opposite and are just trying to convince themselves they are happy doing what they are doing!

So my theory is that you were desperate to bring someone with you but no one wanted to go with you/you couldn't think of anyone to ask.

To JW91,

Many thanks for going into my head and rumaging around. I now feel violated. I really don't know where your theory came from but everyone to there own. I am sorry if I sounded jubilant about not bringing anyone but I was just stating a point that minus chocolates, flowers etc., results in more money in my back pocket. If you must know I would like to bring someone however I don't have a date. So I am going to go on my own as the tickets cost €300 so I am not going to waste them!

If however you or anyone else has problem with that then please do get in touch with me!

One violated poster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

And usually when somebody goes way over the top to say that the leaving cert is easy after very little study by posting their views on an internet forum, is not usually looking for a debate but for self- verification as they feel like s**t.

Mr. Helpful I'd just disregard that 'theory'. Irrespective of what happens debswise you should be fine. I was at a debs a few days ago and whether you had a date or not was not relevant. Everyone danced with everyone. Everybody talked to each other at the table, etc. However in some schools it's an 'issue', but if you have good mates it should be only nothing but an awkward question,if they don't know beforehand. Having fun with your mates is what should matter as the debs is the last school related thing you'll ever do.

JW91 I have nothing against you but if you are gonna make 'theories' like that you are gonna have to accept stick over them. At the same time I do hope your lc goes well for you...and I'm not judging who you are by your thread. I'm basically pointing out the credibility of your 'theory' by making one related to you.

djcervi wrote: »
    JW91 I have nothing against you but if you are gonna make 'theories' like that you are gonna have to accept stick over them. At the same time I do hope your lc goes well for you...and I'm not judging who you are by your thread. I'm basically pointing out the credibility of your 'theory' by making one related to you.

Thanks for the good wishes. I'm fairly confident it will go well for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

I can never figure out why people wouldn't go to their own debs. It's one last night out with all of your friends from school. It'll be one of the best nights out of the year.

Yes it is a bit expensive but it's only one night in the year. You'll probably regret it for the rest of your live if you don't go. You'll never have a night out like it again.

Everyone always enjoys the debs and I think you'd want to be a bit odd not to want to go to it.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!thank u mister man!ha

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

There's nothing wrong with going alone, jeez. Me and several of my friends are going alone. I think its retarded that people are grasping for anyone to take with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭IWishh

Out of curiosity - how much are people spending per head for their limos?

Advertisement