Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debs - I till havnt found anyone - Beginning to get worried

Options
  • 12-06-2009 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

debs is the middle of august, i have no idea who to ask or who i might ask.

what am i going to do?

(not bringing a lad)
    (not going on my own)

anyone else in the same boat?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

do you not have any girls who are mates ?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

i dont have anyone either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

book yourself and a mate (real or imaginary) 2 ryanair tickets to the middle of nowhere for that night and say to your class that you thought the debs was the following weekend and there's no way you can cancel ryanair. Ryanair will only set you back a tenner while the debs will be €200. Hang around the airport for a few hours and bobs your uncle

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

pathway33 wrote: »
    book yourself and a mate (real or imaginary) 2 ryanair tickets to the middle of nowhere for that night and say to your class that you thought the debs was the following weekend and there's no way you can cancel ryanair. Ryanair will only set you back a tenner while the debs will be €200. Hang around the airport for a few hours and bobs your uncle

Now that is creative!

I'm doing the Debs for my school and we have a few who only booked one ticket. Theres no shame in going alone, there honestly isn't. Deb's are over-rated to be honest..

Lots of money... How are ya.... Heres a flower.. Thanks... Fancy car... Picture... Dinner... Bar... Dancefloor.. Bar... Dancefloor... More bar...Get very sick...Taxi.... Sleep... HUGE HEADACHE...

Try find someone but go regardless. Many people are in the same boat, and I feel going alone is better than "rent-a-date"

pathway33 wrote: »

hahaha pathway i love it

poor guys you must have a neighbour or something, just ask a girl your mates with even if you dont know her that well. Just explain you dont have a girlfriend and need a date - one of my mates asked me last year, didnt read anything into it, we had a great time and any girls happy for another chance to wear her debs dress :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭lorna100

if you've no girl mates that you can ask, ask one of your guy mates with a girlfriend to get one of her friends to go along too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 formula1

do you not have any girls who are mates ?

thats the problem... i go to an all boys school, i live in the middle of nowhere, and dont have a huge amount of friends....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

formula1 wrote: »
    thats the problem... i go to an all boys school, i live in the middle of nowhere, and dont have a huge amount of friends....

Try and if not, go alone. There is no shame in it what so ever. Plenty of people do it and the embarrassment is purely in your head. To be honest, it takes so much more to go alone than to ask someone out.

Try all the same to find someone but don't miss your debs, you will regret it if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I think this is like the only plus for a pre-debs, you realize the date isn't a big deal.

A debs isn't date an issue mate, if you invite a girl to the debs it doesn't mean anything like asking her out, (but its an easy way to ask her out if you're going for that.) You must have some girl you're in regular contact with you could ask, or even a family friend from back in the absolute daiye.

Anyway man you have until August, take it easy for a while, in general you should bring someone you know well, but if you meet someone better between now and then its all cool.

Couple things to be wary of.

Bring someone from in your school (**** its all bois), your arm in arm in the door, but gonzo once inside, which is grando if your mates are in the same boat.

Bring someone from outside school, (but who knows other people in your year), good stuff, arm in the door, they might piss off, you might piss off or both of you might hit it off.

Bring someone from outside school, (but who knows no one but you), arm in the door, and then its a bit clingy unless you can pwn her off on a mate, however a decent trick is get one of your mates (in the same boat as you) to bring one of her mates.

Bringing a cousin... This is not good crack, don't do it please.

Bringing someone who replied to a forum post, probably not the best idea, but if you're paying I'll go in drag, and honestly me and you will be legends for as long as we both shall live .

Alternatively you could try bringing and Orangutan see picture...
    2653b5628dec7a9c18c96b9e49f782c1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I also have no-one to go with, not really worried, though I'd definitely prefer not to go on my own.

Major problem is that any female friends I have are in same school as me so are going anyway, and have someone to go with.
    Even if they didn't I doubt I'd be willing to ask and I doubt they'd say yes, would be very awkward in my opinion.

But to be honest even if I do go with someone, as previous poster says it'll be arm-in-arm in the door and then we'll both go our separate ways probably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

Pygmalion wrote: »
    I also have no-one to go with, not really worried, though I'd definitely prefer not to go on my own.

Major problem is that any female friends I have are in same school as me so are going anyway, and have someone to go with.
    Even if they didn't I doubt I'd be willing to ask and I doubt they'd say yes, would be very awkward in my opinion..

Doubtful!
    im in a mixed school and we have our debs (well.. we call it prom) around Dec. and one of my friends wanted to ask me to go with him (i was told before he asked me) but he was scared id say no! Think about it, why would i say no? i have to have a date, i get on with the guy, and it reduces the stress that im never gonna be asked!
    He finally did ask me like! Just dont make it a big confrontation, just as your sitting havin a catch up or something! my friend just asked me as we left school for our busses! i was delighted to go with him! so much less pressure than if your going with somebody you like as you worry about what to say ect!

I promise, us girls arnt as mean as you thing we are! as long as your friends with us and were not seeing anybody i say go for it:)

But honestly mate, you can't go wrong with an orangutan.

However what Christina says is absolutely right. Just on a point about brining your girlfriend, or someone you are close to. Secondary relationships usually end in college, however debs photos go on forever. I know people who have burned theres or shredded them, or who have broken down in tears seeing them again.

Sometimes your better off with someone who is and always will be, your friend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

Doubtful!
    im in a mixed school and we have our debs (well.. we call it prom) around Dec. and one of my friends wanted to ask me to go with him (i was told before he asked me) but he was scared id say no! Think about it, why would i say no? i have to have a date, i get on with the guy, and it reduces the stress that im never gonna be asked!
    He finally did ask me like! Just dont make it a big confrontation, just as your sitting havin a catch up or something! my friend just asked me as we left school for our busses! i was delighted to go with him! so much less pressure than if your going with somebody you like as you worry about what to say ect!

I promise, us girls arnt as mean as you thing we are! as long as your friends with us and were not seeing anybody i say go for it:)

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

errlloyd wrote: »
    But honestly mate, you can't go wrong with an orangutan.

However what Christina says is absolutely right. Just on a point about brining your girlfriend, or someone you are close to. Secondary relationships usually end in college, however debs photos go on forever. I know people who have burned theres or shredded them, or who have broken down in tears seeing them again.

Sometimes your better off with someone who is and always will be, your friend.

Take an opposite-sex friend over your boyfriend, however, and expect your relationship to come to an abrupt close before even the debs itself begins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I meant I have a feeling my friends would take it too seriously if I asked, as in I'd be asking them as a friend, but they wouldn't see it that way and would say no.
    I'm not talking in general here, I know several people who are going just as friends, I just know that the girls I'm thinking of would take it more seriously than I'd like.

But I think they already have someone to go with anyway, will probably end up asking if they know anyone who'd like to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭quirkster

Dude I was in an all boys boarding school in the middle of nowhere, and at my debs, it was 50/50 between those who had dates and those who didnt. To be honest a lot of guys including myself regretted bringing a woman (I met my date 2 weeks previously and was bringing her for one reason only..) Instead of worrying if shes having a good time, if youre hanging out with her enough etc etc etc you an be off having one last bit of craic with lads you mightnt see again. No shame at all to be had!

Jeebus wrote: »
    Take an opposite-sex friend over your boyfriend, however, and expect your relationship to come to an abrupt close before even the debs itself begins.

Jeebus speaks some truth, thats a ****ing change. (Referring to the biblical character and not the poster, the poster is and always has been, a large sheet of paper I put up on my wall, to conceal the entrance of a tunnel, which looks like it ends, but thats just the headlamp of an oncoming train, the 5:10 to venice, if it leaves at 5:10, and the genoa train leaves at 5:40. it goes 10 mph faster, and its 400 miles from Genoa to Venice, when they are passing which is closer to Venice, Italy or Croatia. Are you confused, I am)

Pygmalion wrote: »
    I meant I have a feeling my friends would take it too seriously if I asked, as in I'd be asking them as a friend, but they wouldn't see it that way and would say no.
    I'm not talking in general here, I know several people who are going just as friends, I just know that the girls I'm thinking of would take it more seriously than I'd like.

But I think they already have someone to go with anyway, will probably end up asking if they know anyone who'd like to go.

dont say that whatever you do don't say that.

celtic723 wrote: »
    dont say that whatever you do don't say that.

Seconded.

Go watch Harry Potter and the Goblet of fire.

Ron: [discussing inviting dates to the Yule Ball] This is mad! At this rate, we'll be the only ones in our year without dates! Well, us and Neville.
    Harry: [laughing] Yeah, but then again he could take himself.
    Hermione: It might interest you to know that Neville's already got someone.
    Ron: What? Now I'm really depressed. Oi, Hermione... you're a girl!
    Hermione: [haughtily] Very well spotted.
    Ron: Come with one of us! It's one thing for a bloke to show up alone, but for a girl it's just sad.
    Hermione: [angrily] I won't be going alone, because believe it or not, someone's asked me! And I said yes!
    [exits]
    Ron: Bloody hell. She's lying, right?
    Harry: If you say so.

Same principle applies.

Edit : "Harry: [laughing] Yeah, but then again he could take himself."

This brings up an interesting possibility. Put lipstick on your thumb and middle finger. Say you're bringing your right hand as a date. Cheap, easy, and you're guaranteed a ride afterwards. Also, you get to buy a corsage for yourself, and it can match your tux !

Jeebus, 1 internets for you

• Advertisement

Seconded.

Go watch Harry Potter and the Goblet of fire.

Ron: [discussing inviting dates to the Yule Ball] This is mad! At this rate, we'll be the only ones in our ye
    ar without dates! Well, us and Neville.
    Harry: [laughing] Yeah, but then again he could take himself.
    Hermione: It might interest you to know that Neville's already got someone.
    Ron: What? Now I'm really depressed. Oi, Hermione... you're a girl!
    Hermione: [haughtily] Very well spotted.
    Ron: Come with one of us! It's one thing for a bloke to show up alone, but for a girl it's just sad.
    Hermione: [angrily] I won't be going alone, because believe it or not, someone's asked me! And I said yes!
    [exits]
    Ron: Bloody hell. She's lying, right?
    Harry: If you say so.

Same principle applies.

if you done that off the top of your head that is both accurate nerdy whilst being very impressive.

Hmm I disagree, a direct movie quote is just plain nerdy. If it was book I would say immpressive, but you know its not cause it would have all that Jk rowling **** "Harry thought to himself about inviting a girl" and not real world "harry realised emma watson was smoking hot, and decided he was going to use wemguardian leviosa to left her top for a quick peek, she saw this coming however and expellarimused (WHAT THIS IS IN MY DICTIONARY) him, with him completely mercyless she imperuised ron and got him to... insert sex act here"

My nerdiness is restricted to being extremely talented at using google, guys.

Sorry to disappoint.

My nerdiness is restricted to being extremely talented at using google, guys.

Sorry to disappoint.

what is this google you speak of?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

debs is the middle of august, i have no idea who to ask or who i might ask.

what am i going to do?

(not bringing a lad)
    (not going on my own)

anyone else in the same boat?
    Havnt anyone myself, havnt asked anyone, havnt thouht about it.

Hardly anyone in the year has asked anyone yet, plenty of time anyways!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭KokaNoodles

Feel like becoming bi? Then ur sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cryano

<snip>funny but... no<snip>

Or you could bring an orangutan, people will always remember the guy at the debs with the orangutan......

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

Most people wait til the a month or less beforehand.
    Ask a friends friend. Or ask your friend to ask there friend (or just sound them out). Tis great cuz then they wont be clingy and you can enjoy the night(dont just dump them off with said friend btw...be nice lol)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭IWishh

Go by yourself,

I wish I hadnt already asked my friend, as selfish as it sounds I dont want to have to worry about him not knowing people or having a good time, prefer to get on and have a good night myself

• Advertisement

another idea - find someone who cant handle her drink - arrive with her on your arm, send her home in a taxi, have the craic with the lads :)

Advertisement