Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debs - I till havnt found anyone - Beginning to get worried

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Likely_lass' username provides a hint.

But surely if you go to an all lads there's an all girls nearby that your generally advised to hook up with, a hunting ground as some might say, btw remember to keep it 6th years only...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

IWishh wrote: »
    Go by yourself,

I wish I hadnt already asked my friend, as selfish as it sounds I dont want to have to worry about him

which is it? :D

1. your friend is 8
    2. your friend is 80
    3. your friend is a halfwit

OR : Her friend is a ridiculous drunk with an allergy to alcohol and a heart problem who likes to whore on girls, but is in a relationship with a girl who loves him very much and her dad is hulk hogan, this particular guy also carries a gun around, loaded, but removed the safety catch cause it wouldn't fit in his jeans, at the same time he only has one leg, and because of a muscle problem if he falls on his back he is like a turtle and can't right himself, he lives on the other side of town, but between him and his house there is a field of landmines and a pits full of snakes and quicksand. He has epilepsy and there are loads of strobe lights, he also has the eyes of a reptile and therefore only see's ultra violet meaning he will be blinded, he had a traumatic experience when he was younger and now goes on killing sprees when he hears "journey - Don't Stop Believing"

Tbh mate, you would worry too.

OR EVEN BETTER

Maybe he's a ****ing orangutan and she is worried she will lose him!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

errlloyd wrote: »
    Likely_lass' username provides a hint.

But surely if you go to an all lads there's an all girls nearby that your generally advised to hook up with, a hunting ground as some might say, btw remember to keep it 6th years only...

whats that supposed to mean? my usernames from a song :)

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Try a cousins friend if your really pushed. The majority of the girls at my school havnt got dates either, it's just the couples that are sorted.
    Head out to the pub the week before your debs, believe me that is where the majority of the matches are made :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

We had our debs in the October or November, and we were an all girls school.
    I only asked someone end of Sept.
    Some girls didn't bother they just went in groups, tbh no one really sees you arrive and considering I spent part of the night keeping my 'date' from mauling me you're nearly better without one. (He was a friend of my friends boyfriend, and he had a gf himself) :rolleyes:

Its easier as a girl, like the oness is on guys to ask someone, not girls.

My last piece of advice to OP I guess is just ask someone, I asked a girl who was far too good for me to come with me to my pre-debs, she said yeah and she came. It just meant I didn't get any action. (But I cruised in with a scorching hot burd, so its all good, would have rathered an Orangutan though)

Its easier as a girl, like the oness is on guys to ask someone, not girls.

Well if it's an all girls school then it's on the girls to ask :pac:

star-pants wrote: »
    Well if it's an all girls school then it's on the girls to ask :pac:

Yeah meaning its more acceptable to fail cause you're in an unusual position. I also get the impression guys judge other guys girlfriends a lot more than girls judge other girls boyfriends.

Yeah meaning its more acceptable to fail cause you're in an unusual position. I also get the impression guys judge other guys girlfriends a lot more than girls judge other girls boyfriends.

Maybe... but I think people need to not worry so much about what others think.
    You'll have a percentage that have a gf/bf, then another percentage that are with someones friend, then a percentage that didn't or couldn't bring someone.

Thing is, the nights about having fun with your friends, not all about having a partner with you. TBH I had more craic with my friends, I would have been happy enough not bringing the guy I brought.

• Advertisement

star-pants wrote: »
    Maybe... but I think people need to not worry so much about what others think.
    You'll have a percentage that have a gf/bf, then another percentage that are with someones friend, then a percentage that didn't or couldn't bring someone.

Thing is, the nights about having fun with your friends, not all about having a partner with you. TBH I had more craic with my friends, I would have been happy enough not bringing the guy I brought.

OP said he's not going alone, in fairness the ideal debs girl is someone who looks very good for your picture and then free night with the mates.

OP said he's not going alone, in fairness the ideal debs girl is someone who looks very good for your picture and then free night with the mates.

I know, but it's just something to consider.
    Maybe he can ask a friend if they know anyone, or see who his friends are bringing and see if their dates have someone who'd want to go.

Hmm I think this picture will help you understand why men need dates...

1173700418552.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Yeah man don't worry about it!
    I just asked one of my friends and she was delighted to come.....just ask some1 and you'll be surpriesed how happy they will be!!

But even if you don't find someone its fine to go on your own, nothing at all wrong with it!
    What ever you do, don't be like 3 of the guys in my school who didn't go at all cause they had no date!

Alan speaks the truth, your better of going alone or with the cloverfield monster than not going at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I saw a guy on gumtree advertising looking for a Debs date a few weeks ago. Was it you OP?

I think the poor guy was even offering money to a girl to go with him :pac:

I'm gonna have to second the Orangutan idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭baileyjackson

ironclaw wrote: »
    Now that is creative!

I'm doing the Debs for my school and we have a few who only booked one ticket. Theres no shame in going alone, there honestly isn't. Deb's are over-rated to be honest..

Lots of money... How are ya.... Heres a flower.. Thanks... Fancy car... Picture... Dinner... Bar... Dancefloor.. Bar... Dancefloor... More bar...Get very sick...Taxi.... Sleep... HUGE HEADACHE...

Try find someone but go regardless. Many people are in the same boat, and I feel going alone is better than "rent-a-date"

Its totally overated. We booked a 40 seater bus instead of the fancy cars, total waste otherwise! No one stays glued to their date anyway, I barely saw mine! Take from it what you want, the Debs is a Glorified piss up and the last time you have to see some losers from Secondary school. Just dont worry, relax and dance your arse off!! Get your teachers PISSED aswell if you can, always good for a laugh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I have a boyfriend now, but there's no saying I'm definately going to be with him by the time of my debs at the end of september, optimistic i know. But if i amn't I'll just ask one of my guy friends or something like that.
    Tbh though I really don't see the big deal in going by myself, I know a few girls in my year who are planning to go together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Man you have got a couple of months.. try getting involved in something where you will meet other people. Do something new or something you like, like a film or drama course (where you will probably get to know/meet girls). Things like that are great for confidence and are generally good fun. Look around on what's on offer.

I'm also in an all boys school and most of my friends are guys. A while back I kinda realised that I was really shy, and really awkward around girls in general. So I decided to go the gaeltacht, french college and I was an extra on a play. Soon I became less awkward and opened up.. and I have made some good friends with both sexes.. Anyone can do it.

As regards the debs personally I don't really want to go. I only really want to make an apperance so that I do not have any regrets about not going to my own debs in the future. My year is full of cliques and I'm a bit of an Inbetweener. :pac:( Although I'm not that freaky :D) I will probably feel awkward at it for the mostpart (like I did at our 6th year class nites out), but my mates will help. I haven't asked anybody yet as mine isn't till October, so there is plenty of time to figure out who I'll ask. Anywho I just got invited to my friend's debs so I might end up asking her. ;)

Anyway man have a great summer and I hope everything works out. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Try and if not, go alone. There is no shame in it what so ever. Plenty of people do it and the embarrassment is purely in your head. To be honest, it takes so much more to go alone than to ask someone out.

Try all the same to find someone but don't miss your debs, you will regret it if you do.

If I don't find sum1 I'd rather jus not go tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

You will meet someone you can ask over summer if you put yourself out there, i guarantee it!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

awww..trust me , its gonna be the summer and you will be going out alot and you will get to meet new people... or ask your cuz or brothers friends?

lol, its better than my case, got a date back in dec. the lads that i was meeting as was going strong...lol, now we both have moved on..you know its more awkward that way ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

OP, I can understand your position. I'm in an all boys school myself and I was very... Un-talkative around girls up until the end of 2nd year. What you need to do is ask a good friend of yours to either hook you up, or hang around with him when he's around with girls. That's what I did; it didn't steer me wrong. It actually boosts your confidence tbh. Anyway, try and do it soon, that way you'll be able to find someone you get along with marginally well and get to know them a bit. Then you can ask them to go as a friend. If you put in the "as a friend", it's beneficial as it could work out as something more in the future.
    Otherwise, you could try and find a friend of a friend off bebo or something. Believe it or not, I found my girlfriend off bebo (Through a V for Vendetta site ^^ ) and we couldn't be happier. :)
    Best of luck to you OP! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

go on ur own shcan!

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭questionmark

i havent got any1 ta go with yet. its worst 4 me as i am a girl and am just hoping sum1 will ask, i have still got time left my debs not till aug. but if no one asks i have ta go anyway friends will kill me if i dont show :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

haven't asked anyone yet either. I just haven't really thought about it yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Skally-wag

it's really not that big of a deal if you can't find anyone. If you're a girl and don't have many guy friends, well just bring a girl pal, some people in my year did, one even had a boyfriend but just brought a girl friend, tbh no one gives a crap who you're with only yourself. And it's your debs, which means the end if school, the end of being in the same room as most of these people for good, who cares what anyone else thinks. Wish i'd known this last year, went with a guy I barely knew, there's nothing worse than that, I tell ya.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Blondiegirl2009

Lads.. Im so worried.. my friend is in bits. Her date cancelled for holiday!:mad: Our debs is so soon. Goin to an all girls school, where going on your own would be TERRIBLE and with another girl would be SCANDALOUS. Im panickin cos shes panicking. She doesnt know that many boys tbh. Any ideas?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Now that is creative!

I'm doing the Debs for my school and we have a few who only booked one ticket. Theres no shame in going alone, there honestly isn't. Deb's are over-rated to be honest..

Lots of money... How are ya.... Heres a flower.. Thanks... Fancy car... Picture... Dinner... Bar... Dancefloor.. Bar... Dancefloor... More bar...Get very sick...Taxi.... Sleep... HUGE HEADACHE...
    And you're saying the debs are overrated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Lads.. Im so worried.. my friend is in bits. Her date cancelled for holiday!:mad: Our debs is so soon. Goin to an all girls school, where going on your own would be TERRIBLE and with another girl would be SCANDALOUS. Im panickin cos shes panicking. She doesnt know that many boys tbh. Any ideas?:(

Ah, that sucks.
    It's not that much of a big deal though finding a date.

Right. Here's what you do.
    Does your date have a friend/ cousin/ neighbour/ anyone who'll do the job for your friend?
    That way you'll be able to ditch the two of them for the night when you want to do shots with your teachers and what have you.

If not, go out this weekend, to wherever all you young people go. Flirt like fock with everyone. Get numbers. Do anything. Invite a rather random guy.
    JOB.
    jumpguy wrote: »
    And you're saying the debs are overrated?

WHAT!? NOT A BLOODY CHANCE! :pac:

Advertisement