Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Level Physics

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭.:FuZion:.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Hmm they have no real option for heat tbh.

Thats why I think there is going to be no heat experiment and be a long question on heat instead.. Hopefully, don't take my word. :p
    Yah, it is. And, it has never came up.

From what I've been told, it's considered too simple to put up.

Can come up as a demonstration experiment. I'm sure that it came up in a year I was looking at yesterday as a part for like 12 marks. I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Cool. The other 3 heat experiments are all very similar anyway. I don't think I'll have any problems with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Dmullar

Can anyone tell me how to do the last part of Q4 on the 2006 paper please?

I've gotten the slope of the graph, but really don't know where to go from there, and the marking scheme doesn't really help.:confused:

Any help is appreciated!!:):)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

JOules Law = I^2RT

I^2=Current^2
    R=Resistance
    T=TEmperature

equate this to your average mc(delta tetha)

sub in and bob's your uncle.

thats what id do anyway

Dmullar wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how to do the last part of Q4 on the 2006 paper please?

I've gotten the slope of the graph, but really don't know where to go from there, and the marking scheme doesn't really help.:confused:

Any help is appreciated!!:):)

I didn't use the slope for this. But this is the way that I did it.

Joules law states that : W = (I*Squared)Rt <--- Since P = W/t
    Power is the rate at which work is done, or the rate at which energy is converted from one form to another.
    Electrical Energy absorbed by the water = mc(Delta T)

Assuming that all of the electrical energy supplied was absorbed by the water: We can then assume that : R(I*squared)t = mc(Delta T) because power is the rate at which energy is converted.......

R = mc(Delta T) / (I*Squared)t
    R = (.09)(4200)(15.6) / (4)(180)
    R = 8.19

You can use any values for Delta T and I*Squared as long as they are corresponding.
    And the 180 for t represents the 3 minutes the circuit was on for.
    I think this way is kinda dodgey because you have to give a good estimate of the **15.6 ( Or whatever value you take )** otherwise it gives a value outside the range.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Dmullar

Thanks i knew that, but i didn't see "The student allowed the current to flow for three minutes in each case" so i thought i had to get rid of the T or something :o:o:o

Stupid mistake!:o

Dmullar wrote: »
    Thanks i knew that, but i didn't see "The student allowed the current to flow for three minutes in each case" so i thought i had to get rid of the T or something :o:o:o

Stupid mistake!:o

No probs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

anyone fancy sitting my physics exam - 100euro?

FAIL

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

anyone fancy sitting my physics exam - 100euro?

FAIL
    +1!!

i'm just hoping i nail Section A and do a solid one a half q's on particle/modern physics. also hoping it's not mathematically orientated as tbh i'd go as far as saying i'm a numerically challenged student.

• Advertisement

celtic723 wrote: »
    i'm just hoping i nail Section A and do a solid one a half q's on particle/modern physics. also hoping it's not mathematically orientated as tbh i'd go as far as saying i'm a numerically challenged student.

lol! :pac: Yeah nailing section A is key. It's an absoloute must.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Glad to see I'm not the only one worried about this. I've never passed a Physics exam in my life so hopefully I'll do alright tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

More or less two years of work to do in about 6 hours.

Nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I got a C3 in the mock without ever studying, just guessing everything and somehow remembering stuff I hadn't looked at in ages...

I still haven't studied and am basically hoping it happens again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

Jam-Fly wrote: »
    More or less two years of work to do in about 6 hours.

Nice

Jaymie, did you win the money off Mr Collins do you think ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Richyj_0

physics is a bitch

There has never been a sentence as true as this. Tomorrow I will die a mechanical, electrical, light, sound, heat and nuclear related death. :eek:

12501752v2_350x350_Front.jpg

Can someone help me with the nuclear physics? The atomic numbers in the log tables only go up to 89. What if we have to write a reaction for something above that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Can someone help me with the nuclear physics? The atomic numbers in the log tables only go up to 89. What if we have to write a reaction for something above that?

They'll probably give it to you on the exam book. Even if it is in the log tables they'll give it to you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

That shouldn't happen.

Thanks. Just that in my textbook there was a question where an alpha particle was emitted from Uranium and I had no idea what element had an atomic no. of 90.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Just that in my textbook there was a question where an alpha particle was emitted from Uranium and I had no idea what element had an atomic no. of 90.

If it does happen, just don't give the Name of it. Thats what I would presume. :p

would i be right in saying all magnetism and electricity stuff can be left out as it's always an option between that and particle physics/atom stuff?

would i be right in saying all magnetism and electricity stuff can be left out as it's always an option between that and particle physics/atom stuff?

Well, it's an option between that an mechanics/sound/light/wave motion. But yah, if you've most of everything else covered, you can leave both out. I am, anyway.

Edit: Just say Fuzions post below me... I'm confused as to what you mean. The electricity option? Or just having an option between other stuff and general electricity?

No way lol. That electricity stuff your on about is another chapter you haven't even done, because you have done the particle physics stuff. By all means, you could leave out the electricity / magnetism stuff but you would be taking a huge risk as you might not have another question (eg. Mechanics is too hard on the day).

.:FuZion:. wrote: »
    No way lol. That electricity stuff your on about is another chapter you haven't even done, because you have done the particle physics stuff. By all means, you could leave out the electricity / magnetism stuff but you would be taking a huge risk as you might not have another question (eg. Mechanics is too hard on the day).

my class didn't do applied electricity we done particle physics instead. so therefore i'm okay on that front. i've already left out circular motion cause i'm not even attempting mechanics. Therefore you think that i would have to cover everything else?

my class didn't do applied electricity we done particle physics instead. so therefore i'm okay on that front. i've already left out circular motion cause i'm not even attempting mechanics. Therefore you think that i would have to cover everything else?

I hope mechanics isin't on circular motion. But if you are leaving out that, I would reccomend covering at least waves well, mabye electricity / magnetism too. Just my opinion. Then you're not stuck for choice.
    Edit: Just say Fuzions post below me... I'm confused as to what you mean. The electricity option? Or just having an option between other stuff and general electricity?

I just presumed he meant the option. Because he said there is always a choice between that and particle physics, which there is only in the option question.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

The "mandatory" parts of the course are:

Light
    Mechanics
    Heat
    Waves
    Electricity
    Magnetism
    Nuclear Physics

The "option" parts of the course are:

Particle Physics
    Further Electricity

You are supposed to all 7 parts along with one of the options.

Can you get away with only knowing 5 or 6 of the 'mandatory' parts?

Let's hope so :)

.:FuZion:. wrote: »
    I just presumed he meant the option. Because he said there is always a choice between that and particle physics, which there is only in the option question.

Yah, makes sense! Usually, in section B, there are 1.5 - 2 questions on electricity, and there are typically the same number for modern. So I just thought he wanted to substitute one for the other, if you get me.

Yah, makes sense! Usually, in section B, there are 1.5 - 2 questions on electricity, and there are typically the same number for modern. So I just thought he wanted to substitute one for the other, if you get me.

Yeah I know what ya mean. Makes perfect sense too.

• Advertisement

also if i'm leaving out mechanics does that mean i've no need to know any of the derivations?

Advertisement