Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Level Physics

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

BLARG wrote: »
    Em, there are about 20 experiments on the course.

if your not going to contribute sensibly dont bother at all. that wasn't my question.i'm well able to count the number of exp's myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭BLARG

I misinterpretted your post. It's unlikely last year's will come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭alexcorb1991

need help on 2008 q10 part (a) the calculations bit(and yes i looked at examinations.ie:rolleyes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭.:FuZion:.

Well last years one was the latent heat of fusion of ice. So its possible that the latent heat of vapourisation of water could come up.

But more probable that one of the other 2 wil come up, or in my guess, no heat at all. So If you are doing the electricity experiments, there is no reason why you cant take a chance and leave out some of the heat as you only have to do 3.

.:FuZion:. wrote: »
    Well last years one was the latent heat of fusion of ice. So its possible that the latent heat of vapourisation of water could come up.

But more probable that one of the other 2 wil come up, or in my guess, no heat at all. So If you are doing the electricity experiments, there is no reason why you cant take a chance and leave out some of the heat as you only have to do 3.

thanks but i don't really like the monochromatic light nor the pendulum exp and was wonderin if it would be safe to leave them out.

• Advertisement

need help on 2008 q10 part (a) the calculations bit(and yes i looked at examinations.ie:rolleyes:)

Part 1:
    First, use E=mc^2 to find out the energy of one pion. Then, we can see there is 3 so multiply that figure by 3. This is the energy used in the collision.

Then divide this figure by (1.6022 x 10^-19) to get it into electron volts.

Then when we read again, we find out that the energy before the collision was 2GeV ( 2 x 10^9 ).

To get the energy after the collision, simply take the Energy during the collision away from the energy before the collision.

There is your answer.

Part 2:
    For the second part, divide the energy after the collision by the energy during the collision.

This would leave a remainder of 0 energy as it has all been converted to pions. So you get a value of 11 something. Then add the 3 that were formed during the collision and you have your answer.

celtic723 wrote: »
    thanks but i don't really like the monochromatic light nor the pendulum exp and was wonderin if it would be safe to leave them out.

Im leaving em out anyways. No experiment has ever repeated itself, so lets hope the dont change that this year. :rolleyes:

Im leaving em out anyways. No experiment has ever repeated itself, so lets hope the dont change that this year. :rolleyes:

they've already done it in Irish surely they can't do it in Physics.

what you concentrating on if you don't mind me asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭alexcorb1991

Part 1:
    First, use E=mc^2 to find out the energy of one pion. Then, we can see there is 3 so multiply that figure by 3. This is the energy used in the collision.

Then divide this figure by (1.6022 x 10^-19) to get it into electron volts.

Then when we read again, we find out that the energy before the collision was 2GeV ( 2 x 10^9 ).

To get the energy after the collision, simply take the Energy during the collision away from the energy before the collision.

There is your answer.

Part 2:
    For the second part, divide the energy after the collision by the energy during the collision.

This would leave a remainder of 0 energy as it has all been converted to pions. So you get a value of 11 something. Then add the 3 that were formed during the collision and you have your answer.

Thank you so much!

I was doing the way were you subtract masses and all sorts of wrong ways

SOUND!( HOW DO I THANK YOU?)

celtic723 wrote: »
    they've already done it in Irish surely they can't do it in Physics.

what you concentrating on if you don't mind me asking?

Not with 24 experiments. :P They kinda have to be fair and vary the stuff. Some havent even been asked, where as others have been asked 3 times.

Eh know all my definitions off well. So Q.5 should be a breeze.

Knowing my experiments well because its a big kickstart if you do well in that section. Can give you confidence going into section B.

Mechanics, hoping for something to do with Newtons laws and stuff, anything really besides circular motion.

Then the option of particle physics. Easy to pick up marks if you have your stuff known. Hopefully Q.11 will relate to that too. ( CERN experiment )

Q12 is always a nice one to answer if you know the course in detail rather than focusing on specific things.

And then I would hope for my last question to be a heat question. Hasnt come up in a few years ( ie. Change of state / Energy needed ect.. ) and its a nice question to answer on. Otherwise electromagnetic induction probably.

What are you doing..?

• Advertisement

Thank you so much!

I was doing the way were you subtract masses and all sorts of wrong ways

SOUND!( HOW DO I THANK YOU?)

No probs. If you understand what I was trying to say, fair duce to ya. :D

Yeah the question was a toughie, needed to be thoroughly thought through.

There is a little thumbs up button on the bottom of my post lol. :P

can someone please help me with q8 sample paper 1 the mathsy parts.

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

What you need to do is assume that all the kinetic energy of the protons is converted into pions, then use your e=mc^2 formula to find out how many pions you can create with that energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

Everyone remember that if you haven't a clue what the formula for something is. Multiply the figures.

Statistically you are more than likely correct and if you arent it is better than putting nothing down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭yummy91

Isaac702 wrote: »
    Everyone remember that if you haven't a clue what the formula for something is. Multiply the figures.

Statistically you are more than likely correct and if you arent it is better than putting nothing down.
    Did that in the mocks and it got me just above the 40%, it still wasn't a great paper cause I hadn't studied at all but it passed me like:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Not with 24 experiments. :P They kinda have to be fair and vary the stuff. Some havent even been asked, where as others have been asked 3 times.

Eh know all my definitions off well. So Q.5 should be a breeze.

Knowing my experiments well because its a big kickstart if you do well in that section. Can give you confidence going into section B.

Mechanics, hoping for something to do with Newtons laws and stuff, anything really besides circular motion.

Then the option of particle physics. Easy to pick up marks if you have your stuff known. Hopefully Q.11 will relate to that too. ( CERN experiment )

Q12 is always a nice one to answer if you know the course in detail rather than focusing on specific things.

And then I would hope for my last question to be a heat question. Hasnt come up in a few years ( ie. Change of state / Energy needed ect.. ) and its a nice question to answer on. Otherwise electromagnetic induction probably.

What are you doing..?

that came up last year didnt it ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Anyone have any predictions. I heard Acceleration Due to Gravity and the Sonometre. I want more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

Electromagnetic induction did indeed come up last year. But, equally, it was answered horribly - students on average getting 38% in the question. So don't discount is coming up again.

I'm studying right now.

Does anyone know where to get the marking scheme for the department 2002 sample paper ? Seems a bit silly issuing a sample paper without a marking scheme !
    The paper has everything on it that I want to study tonight !

Can someone help me out with the sample paper, please?

Question 5 (d) :

"100 litres of Carbon Dioxide at an atmospheric pressure of 1 x 10^5 Pa was pumped into a gas cylinder of volume 0.5 litres. What is the pressure in the gas cylinder ?"

is there anywhere to get a marking scheme for all the sample papers in the Edco ones. i'd like to know the answers to a lot of the q's

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

Jeebus wrote: »
    Does anyone know where to get the marking scheme for the department 2002 sample paper ? Seems a bit silly issuing a sample paper without a marking scheme !

you don't do DCG do you? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Question 5 (d) :

"100 litres of Carbon Dioxide at an atmospheric pressure of 1 x 10^5 Pa was pumped into a gas cylinder of volume 0.5 litres. What is the pressure in the gas cylinder ?"

Don't do physics but we get questions like that in chem...

Would it be using the pV=nRT equation for an ideal gas by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

1fahy4 wrote: »
    Don't do physics but we get questions like that in chem...

Would it be using the pV=nRT equation for an ideal gas by any chance?

I'd say boyles law would probably be easier. Considering you don't have moles or anything.

Thanks lads.

I do chemistry too.

This doesn't look like its going to be a good two days ! ;)

>.>

<.<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

I hear ya. I may possibly have burned out completely. ****ing business and history papers...not cool. I tried to study organic chem today but gave up after about an hour. I need an A1 in chemistry so I'm starting to worry a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Question 5 (d) :

pv = k

So do the first one. 100 x 1 x 10^5 = whatever.

Then let the second one equal to that.
    p(0.5) = whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 hamonrye

Electromagnetic induction did indeed come up last year. But, equally, it was answered horribly - students on average getting 38% in the question. So don't discount is coming up again.

I'm studying right now.

The paper has everything on it that I want to study tonight !

if you're using edco (the yellow ones anyway don't know the publisher) theyre at the back before the ordinary level papers, the answers for the maths parts anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

Gotta focus and study Physics the whole week-end, it's my last exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Anyone know of somewhere I could get a list of formulas/definitions for the Higher Level, I remember I found and printed off a PDF once, but lost the sheets and can't find one online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

ironclaw wrote: »
    less stress is useless however, Avoid
    Seconded.
    Des23 wrote: »
    Physics is way easier and more interesting in my opinion, I really don't get the stigma attatched to doing physics, or how many people seem to hate it. I would consider it far easier to do well in that most subjects. There are a few definitions, some formulae, other than that knowing experiments is pretty much all you need.

Seconded
    Des23 wrote: »
    Radioactivity, the Electron, and the option are about 5 or 6 chapters in total, not that much formulae and at least 2 but usually 3 full questions.

Seconded, and the best bloody chapters on the course.:pac:

Advertisement