Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving cert religion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Well you said it was broader, I just decided to take it out of the context of education.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

errlloyd wrote: »
    Well you said it was broader, I just decided to take it out of the context of education.

I actually mentioned nothing about it being broader.

I also still fail to see what your point is.

Is there one?

And the course is much broader than any one religion ...

Oh I'm sorry Fad, that even though my post wasn't directly after yours, you decided mine related directly to yours.

Boom. And no their isn't really a point, just I thought saying RE was broader than any one religion sounded silly, because I wouldn't use the word broad in that context, what he was trying to say was RE encompasses (<- A word I don't understand) all religions.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Oh I'm sorry Fad, that even though my post wasn't directly after yours, you decided mine related directly to yours.
    Well, when he said "whut?", your reponse commenced with "you said ...". That may just have confused him slightly! :p
    Boom. And no their isn't really a point, just I thought saying RE was broader than any one religion sounded silly, because I wouldn't use the word broad in that context, what he was trying to say was RE encompasses (<- A word I don't understand) all religions.
    I said the course (or curriculum, if you prefer) was broader than any one religion ... reasonable enough use of English I would have thought.

Anyway, let's leave the knicks untwisted please, gentlemen, in this hot weather you'll only chafe yourself in delicate areas!! :pac: :p

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

I took it up outside school a week before the mock, I got 4 hours of grinds 1 to 1 from the class teacher in my school and I got 85%.

Anyone who has no exams left except religion has no real excuse not to do really well, just read the ****ing books. Its dead easy. Religion does not compare to classical studies or history for either length or detail.

The RE and History courses are both long and detailed.
    The difference is the History exam layout is a lot more student-friendly: more choice, more time, it's not all essays.
    RE is 4 x 4 page essays, all to be written in 2 and a half hours. Even if you can remember everything, that's writing hella fast!

• Advertisement

The RE and History courses are both long and detailed.
    The difference is the History exam layout is a lot more student-friendly: more choice, more time, it's not all essays.
    RE is 4 x 4 page essays, all to be written in 2 and a half hours. Even if you can remember everything, that's writing hella fast!

I think you're writing too much mate, I would go with 12, a page and a half for each of the 8 essays.

(And I really liked the RE exam layout, you should try classical studies)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

I think you're writing too much mate, I would go with 12, a page and a half for each of the 8 essays.

(And I really liked the RE exam layout, you should try classical studies)

Hey are you doing primal religion & bahai faith

D.R cowboy wrote: »
    Hey are you doing primal religion & bahai faith

Doing Primal, Yoruba

I did Baha'i for my coursework too though. (Gwan organisation dedicated to maintaining world peace, they are such legends)

Doing Primal, Yoruba

I did Baha'i for my coursework too though. (Gwan organisation dedicated to maintaining world peace, they are such legends)

lifestyle of believers should be a good bet, and rites of passage too wat you think??

lifestyle of believers should be a good bet, and rites of passage too wat you think??

I'd like to say I know, but I really don't. I'll do out the tables and get back to you tomorrow. I know my teacher focussed on the stages of the religion and the rite of passage as well as the creation myths.

• Advertisement

Alright ladies, profiling the human person is looking good for world religions. As well as possibly the stages (birth coming of age marriage and death).

Moral decision making, know how the common good is expressed in Irish Civil Law.

Religion and Science, just know the people involved, Galieo, Newton, Darwin. Be careful studying Darwin if your not already Atheist, because suddenly you will realise that most religion is a big stinking pile of elephant dung.

Good luck gentlemen, may God be with you... This may help...

fdc3818d7691d66dc7cc73136a2985ff.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Duffman'05

I'd just like to say thank you for that post:p

This brightened up an otherwise horrible day for this poor soul who was foolish enough to take Religon for LC:pac:

Duffman what you studying for section 1

Oh lads there are more to come, make sure you know the creation myth,

Prometheus, Giglimesh and Native American.

Hmm this may help some of you with the Bible (it helped me to appreciate Jesus when I realised he wasn't anti sex)

Oh and if you're bored, read about the Giant Spegetti Monster, cause I am pastafarian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

12f0980702d470590b1f359de4ac4b09.png

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Duffman'05

Duffman what you studying for section 1

Socrates, Plato and the Sophists...Our teacher never did anything else with us!:eek:

Guys what the real chance of seeing Darwin 2morrow HA Ha coz that all i have real studied for section j

That ****ing moral decision making is **** hard to predict right one could say common good but what about sin and forgiveness

Also primal religion have come up in 2006

Darwin was born in 1809, its 2009. You do the maths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭lorna100

is darwin on the syllabus in search for meaning and values? remember seeing him in the book somewhere (not in the religion vs science part, not doing it).

Not looking foward to writing so much, hopefully it wont be as bad as classics, hand was killing me!

Darwin was born in 1809, its 2009. You do the maths

And your point is what may i say??

lorna100 wrote: »
    is darwin on the syllabus in search for meaning and values? remember seeing him in the book somewhere (not in the religion vs science part, not doing it).

Not looking foward to writing so much, hopefully it wont be as bad as classics, hand was killing me!

99.463% sure he is only in religion and science. Newton is all over the Search for Meaning and values though.

(Lorna your classics predictions were a bit sketch...)

I dunno what my point about Darwin is, 200 years though. I think he will come up!!

• Advertisement

Right I will list people who you "need" to know, now you don't need to know them all. But this is just for the search of meaning and values k?

Socrates
    Plato
    Aristotle
    (Protagoras)

Desiderius Erasmus
    Karl Marx
    Albert Camus

Zeus
    Thor

Anselm
    Aquinas
    St. Bonaventure
    Issac Newton

99.463% sure he is only in religion and science. Newton is all over the Search for Meaning and values though.

(Lorna your classics predictions were a bit sketch...)

I dunno what my point about Darwin is, 200 years though. I think he will come up!!

tell me about it, last year he got 7 out of 8 right.. came out very dissappointed. Needed an a1 but roman art and architechture ****ed me over, had to make up an answer. Do you do plato? dont know if I answered one of the q's right.

tell me about it, last year he got 7 out of 8 right.. came out very dissappointed. Needed an a1 but roman art and architechture ****ed me over, had to make up an answer. Do you do plato? dont know if I answered one of the q's right.

Nah I don't do Plato. I did only study the stuff that came up though. I got lucky... to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

I am completely ****ed for tomorrow. At this stage i will be over the moon if i can get a d1 !

strongr wrote: »
    I am completely ****ed for tomorrow. At this stage i will be over the moon if i can get a d1 !

When you go into the exam, read the q's that apply to your sections and be thinking about them. For the first 7 or 8 mins do a quick plan on each q, bullet points.
    When you come to do the question, take time to think about it. Structure your answer, include a defination or two (even if you have to make it up) and if you're really stuck, throw in your own personal opinion on the topic at the end. (thats what works for me anyway)
    You will get a D1 easily. Have faith!
    Nah I don't do Plato. I did only study the stuff that came up though. I got lucky... to say the least.
    That was me with chemistry. The whole LC is a game of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Have faith!
    QUOTE]

ha I like:pac:
    solid avice though cheers
    complete cramming session going on here!
    thanks to everyone else... some great advice..very helpful and informative

My religion teacher asked for our original projects ages ago, and I never brought it in. i cant find it now, the woman will go skitz at me tomorrow - if the department comes to inspect the projects, and mine isnt there, will my exam be cancelled?

Bollox.

Hmm the deadline was the second last Thursday in March Lorna, so your down 20%.

Hmm the deadline was the second last Thursday in March Lorna, so your down 20%.

No no the actual booklet thing, is done and in months ago. But the original project that I did (ie where I got my info from) is meant to be present in the school for inspection. But I have lost/thrown mine out.

Gave me a fright there, thought I had lost 20%..

Can they cancel my exam is the original project isnt there? Might have bits of the text on the computer, I hope so, should I do another project and hand it in?

Oh and errlloyd, you know the prometheus creation myth, its so different to the classics 'prometheus bound' (looked it up in the oxford dictionary of classics and it is under 'the myth of prometheus bound' - are you studying the one in the rel book or the classics one? How can it change from the face of a cliff/rock crucified, to being chained to a piller?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

No no the actual booklet thing, is done and in months ago. But the original project that I did (ie where I got my info from) is meant to be present in the school for inspection. But I have lost/thrown mine out.

Gave me a fright there, thought I had lost 20%..

Can they cancel my exam is the original project isnt there? Might have bits of the text on the computer, I hope so, should I do another project and hand it in?

Oh and errlloyd, you know the prometheus creation myth, its so different to the classics 'prometheus bound' (looked it up in the oxford dictionary of classics and it is under 'the myth of prometheus bound' - are you studying the one in the rel book or the classics one? How can it change from the face of a cliff/rock crucified, to being chained to a piller?

Ive never heard anything like that before, id say your teacher is just being over cautious

Advertisement