Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving cert religion

Options
  • 10-06-2009 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭

Hey
    I need some help I have just over a week before religion.I want to get a c3 but I really havent put in much work.What exactly are people studying??
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

Everything on the course. There's no way to predict what's coming up since it's so new- and the have repeated questions before. The only thing my teacher told me was to concentrate on Challenges to the Tradition and Celebrating the Tradition in Section C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭RuehlTheWorld

I've got 7 days from today until my exam so I'm spending a good day and a half or two on The Search for Meaning. That's a rather predictable section and it's easy to get marks.

Then it will be about a day and half or two per each of my other sections.

It'll be intense but I need an A1.

I don't think it's as challenging a course as people think, eg Moral Decision Making can be easily answered with common sense and maybe some examples from what's in the news at the minute.

Don't worry too much, you should've done a project so it will pay off greatly.

Just approach your chosen sections with an open mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

What???? There's now a Religion exam???? I know it's been years since I did my LC, but I never believed this would ever be an exam.
    And does it count towards your LC points?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

kelle wrote: »
    What???? There's now a Religion exam???? I know it's been years since I did my LC, but I never believed this would ever be an exam.
    And does it count towards your LC points?

yep same points for religion as every other subject

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Reilly616

That's a joke in my opinion. Maths =/= religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Reilly616 wrote: »
    That's a joke in my opinion. Maths =/= religion.

Well actually in terms of points that you receive. Religion = Maths :).

If you want to discuss it's validity as a subject, start a new thread please :).

I have 2 days after Chem, gonna do Search for Meaning & Xtianity on Wed and World Religions and Science+Religion on Thurs.

And I might try and start believing in God so I can pray for a decent result!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Donagh_mc

Pressure from the Religious establishment in this country forced it in no doubt.

Fad wrote: »
    Well actually in terms of points that you receive. Religion = Maths :).

I'm on about usefullness, not points :P

I'd just hate to do religion as a subject. Seems a bit like CSPE to me.

Not for Leaving Cert. It's about the same size as the history course, there's not really that much you can waffle, and the exam is four essays, for two of which you get no choice. So wish I'd never done it!

I'm off to cram!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 jimjam-06

Shows how much you know about the subject. It's nothing like CSPE , it details the theology and philosophy of all ancient philosophers and modern religions. It's quite interesting and useful to know about religions in this modern age. It's interesting to those who like theology. I don't think you should diss a subject you don't know anything about

• Advertisement

Donagh_mc wrote: »
    Pressure from the Religious establishment in this country forced it in no doubt.

I'd imagine most education systems have some sort of examinable religious education at senior level. England's A-levels do anyway.

America obviously dont, but their education systems is one of the few who (I think) are actually more flawed than ours :pac:.

I'd imagine most education systems have some sort of examinable religious education at senior level. England's A-levels do anyway.

Yeah, Ireland is one of the few countries where some sort of philosophy isn't compulsory. From what I know of the French, Spanish and German systems anyway.

poisonated wrote: »
    Hey
    I need some help I have just over a week before religion.I want to get a c3 but I really havent put in much work.What exactly are people studying??
    Thanks

I'd say rely on Aristotle, Plato and Socrates for section one, usually something about them comes up and the Sophists.

Christianity section... I'd say focus on christology and contemporary images of Jesus

In World Religions Section, focus on three main religions, maybe Christianity Judaism and Buddhism and how they compare. Apparently traditions and rites are supposed to come up

These are just general predictions and tips though! :) Bare minimum like? And I'm not sure what your option section is? We're doing religion and science, so darwin and contemporary issues are tipped to come up

jimjam-06 wrote: »
    We're doing religion and science, so darwin and contemporary issues are tipped to come up

Religion and science? Wow that sounds a lot harder than what we did! Religion and gender is pretty easy. And funny, cos my teacher's a die-hard feminist :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I wish I'd done the religion exam outside school now. Took a look at the paper a week before the leaving and I swear to Buddha I could answer most of the questions... Though it's probably because I find the general area of spirituality and religion fascinating anyway.

Talk about easy points like.

OneArt wrote: »
    I wish I'd done the religion exam outside school now. Took a look at the paper a week before the leaving and I swear to Buddha I could answer most of the questions... Though it's probably because I find the general area of spirituality and religion fascinating anyway.

Talk about easy points like.

I really doubt that you could.

I dont know you, or what you're into, but the SEC are looking for fairly specific information. The syllabus states you have to learn X, Y and Z about Q, you'd want to be mentioning X,Y and Z. When they ask you for examples of things, you dont necessarily have to give the book's example of "Jesus in contemporary culture", I could just as easily mention an UnderOath song and back it up, and subsequently get full marks.

A lot of people have dismissed it thinking it's all opinion related, it's really not! The SEC want information, your own personal engagement kinda comes secondary to that.

If you do the work, it's a comparatively easy subject, but I dont really think that in the Leaving Cert itself there's that much room for bull**** (How your teacher grades things is bound to be different, as the whole grading thing is not open to applications yet, it is still chosen by whatever group wrote the syllabus AFAIK).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Cheers guys:)

Religion is tough as its the one subject that Im doing that I dont care about over 80 percent of the course...some of it is intresting though

poisonated wrote: »
    Religion is tough as its the one subject that Im doing that I dont care about over 80 percent of the course...some of it is intresting though

Maybe if you came to school for the last month/paid attention in class*...................:pac:

*Yes, I know coming for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I really doubt that you could.

I dont know you, or what you're into, but the SEC are looking for fairly specific information. The syllabus states you have to learn X, Y and Z about Q, you'd want to be mentioning X,Y and Z. When they ask you for examples of things, you dont necessarily have to give the book's example of "Jesus in contemporary culture", I could just as easily mention an UnderOath song and back it up, and subsequently get full marks.

A lot of people have dismissed it thinking it's all opinion related, it's really not! The SEC want information, your own personal engagement kinda comes secondary to that.

If you do the work, it's a comparatively easy subject, but I dont really think that in the Leaving Cert itself there's that much room for bull**** (How your teacher grades things is bound to be different, as the whole grading thing is not open to applications yet, it is still chosen by whatever group wrote the syllabus AFAIK).

I took it up outside school a week before the mock, I got 4 hours of grinds 1 to 1 from the class teacher in my school and I got 85%.

Anyone who has no exams left except religion has no real excuse not to do really well, just read the ****ing books. Its dead easy. Religion does not compare to classical studies or history for either length or detail.

I dare someone to write

"as I am part of a cult, I can not discuss other religions beliefs or acknowledge them."

• Advertisement

its 70 euro to ad it to your LC now, but if you were up for the crack you could put down loads of details about how you honour the giant spagetti monster, but no one can see him because he is hidden behind jupiter ect ect ect

Shows how much you know about the subject. It's nothing like CSPE , it details the theology and philosophy of all ancient philosophers and modern religions. It's quite interesting and useful to know about religions in this modern age. It's interesting to those who like theology.

So is it basically history and theology? Personally, I'm really interested in religion, but whenever we did it in school it was useless boring stuff similar to CSPE, not interesting facts figures and dates, if you know what I mean.

History, Theology, Philosophy and Classical studies.

Honestly mate if your not busy next week and your willing to fork out like 120 bills, pay to ad this to your list (Think you still can, not actually 100% sure).

Study Scorates, Plato, Aristotle the Sophists.

Study Judaism, Christianity and Buddism (Mainly the 4 stages of life, ie brith, coming of age, marriage, death, and the main holidays)

Learn maybe two or three cases relevant to moral decision making, like times when life support should be switched off or things.

And learn Darwin, Newton, Galileo.

And you would have 80% in the bag, except I just forgot the coursework, so you would be ****ed. Shame...

errlloyd wrote: »
    History, Theology, Philosophy and Classical studies.

Honestly mate if your not busy next week and your willing to fork out like 120 bills, pay to ad this to your list (Think you still can, not actually 100% sure).

Study Scorates, Plato, Aristotle the Sophists.

Study Judaism, Christianity and Buddism (Mainly the 4 stages of life, ie brith, coming of age, marriage, death, and the main holidays)

Learn maybe two or three cases relevant to moral decision making, like times when life support should be switched off or things.

And learn Darwin, Newton, Galileo.

And you would have 80% in the bag, except I just forgot the coursework, so you would be ****ed. Shame...

Lol. I'm fine thanks :D

So is it basically history and theology? Personally, I'm really interested in religion, but whenever we did it in school it was useless boring stuff similar to CSPE, not interesting facts figures and dates, if you know what I mean.

I know, but you see exam religion is very different from non-exam religion, it is quite like history just with a lot of spiritual thought :) And it's true they want specific facts, but an a answer requires personal engagement and spiritual thought. It's like a mix of history and english.

I know, but you see exam religion is very different from non-exam religion, it is quite like history just with a lot of spiritual thought :) And it's true they want specific facts, but an a answer requires personal engagement and spiritual thought. It's like a mix of history and english.

I'd contest that! :pac:

I'd contest that! :pac:

On reflection it may have been an exaggeration :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Donagh_mc wrote: »
    Nope, more like pressure from teachers and students that if they were doing it anyway, it should be done right and be examinable.

And the course is much broader than any one religion ...

Yeah bitch, more than 2 billion people do it make it broader than christianity. Woot.

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    Yeah bitch, more than 2 billion people do it make it broader than christianity. Woot.

Whut

Advertisement