Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History (HL) - The Aftermath

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

While the questions were indeed nice and general, what is with the Departments fetish over certain topics?

Britain AGAIN? its come up 3 out of 4 years!

Anglo Irish Treaty AGAIN ASWELL

They actually repeated a question from 2007, Cultural Identity North and South, except they took away 4 YEARS from it! The only difference!

Foreign Policy, being a HUGE part of Hitler along with Mussolini and France, still hasn't come up!:confused:

I get a feeling this exam is going to get some serious backlash from the media, and this is coming from a guy who felt he did well:eek:

p.s does anyone know which moron said Anti Semitism would come up and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Gi joe! wrote: »
    While the questions were indeed nice and general, what is with the Departments fetish over certain topics?

Britain AGAIN? its come up 3 out of 4 years!

Anglo Irish Treaty AGAIN ASWELL

They actually repeated a question from 2007, Cultural Identity North and South, except they took away 4 YEARS from it! The only difference!

Foreign Policy, being a HUGE part of Hitler along with Mussolini and France, still hasn't come up!:confused:

I get a feeling this exam is going to get some serious backlash from the media, and this is coming from a guy who did well:eek:

Yeah was wondering about Britain. It comes up a lot. I'd say there's not a chance of it coming up next year but then loads of people said that this year. There's a question on anti-semitism in the sample papers so it's not like it had no chance of coming up. Or is considered too easy or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭internetaddict

I just screwed it up completely. I couldn't get much revision done. Sacrificed it for English and French.
    Worst paper ever. We didn't even DO France during WW2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Same my first 4 options are between 480-540. I guess I will be stuck in Arts in UCD (not saying that's bad - it's just a last resort for me). I feel like why did I even bother studying so much if it just went that badly. And people will scorn A students saying they're never going to get a D but unlike in other subjects, this is a subject where an A student can do badly and a waster who does nothing all year can do well.

It's so frustrating! I'm terrible at English but I know I didn't study enough so I accept if I do bad in that. But for a subject I used to love and worked so hard at.......arrrgh is all I can say! At least it's over now!

It's even more embarrassing considering my first 2 options on the CAO are history/ History and political science in TCD. Oh well, onwards and upwards I guess...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Anti-semitism and the persecution of the churches and the Night of the LOng Knives could have been brought into the terror question on dictators. It was an extremely open question. That was an easy accessible paper, particularly compared to the first year.

Those whinging just didn't study or read the questions properly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

i cant see how somebody can call that a horrible exam. If you actually studied for it,there should have been no problems. Social and economic problems in britain came up every year,and suprisingly it came up again this year. If you had any brain at all,that topic would have been studied inside out,same with most of the topics that came up....no point complaining when the exam was fair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Gi joe! wrote: »
    Ya such broad questions. Seems most people concentrated on specific questions/areas. You could have just read the book the night before and done better than learning off a few essay predicitons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

To be fair if you knew anti-Semitism so well you could have thrown it in together with Nazi propaganda and gotten a nice propa/terror essay out of aul Adolf.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

ateam wrote: »
    Anti-semitism and the persecution of the churches and the Night of the LOng Knives could have been brought into the terror question on dictators. It was an extremely open question. That was an easy accessible paper, particularly compared to the first year.

Those whinging just didn't study or read the questions properly.

No one is saying that most of the questions weren't broad and open to your own interpretation, its just annoying is all that they seem dead set on asking certain topics year after year and ignoring others.

And history will never be an 'easy' paper no matter how good you are. It has a massive syllabus with a brutal time limit to go with it!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

people keep saying its so not predictable,it is predictable as the same things come up year after year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Claypigeon wrote: »
    To be fair if you knew anti-Semitism so well you could have thrown it in together with Nazi propaganda and gotten a nice propa/terror essay out of aul Adolf.

Could you? I did cover Anti-Semitism as part of the propaganda question (On which I just stook to Hitler with) but I think I veared too much into Anti-Semitism and sort of digressed from Anti-Semitic Propaganda, if that makes sense. Hiopefully I might have done a bit better than I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nihilist21

Occono wrote: »
    Could you? I did cover Anti-Semitism as part of the propaganda question (On which I just stook to Hitler with) but I think I veared too much into Anti-Semitism and sort of digressed from Anti-Semitic Propaganda, if that makes sense. Hiopefully I might have done a bit better than I think.

It'll be fine since anti-semitism was in itself a form of terror, ergo covering that part of the question - even if you meant it to be about the propaganda aspect.

Well yes anti-semitic propaganda was one way he used propaganda to maintain power, and anti-semitism was a means of terror.. You could have done your entire anti semitism question if you constantly stated and restated how each helped him maintain power ie

Showed the power of the govt
    Showed how "betrayal" of the Nazi government would be punished
    Made a common internal enemy to unite people around
    Gave previously disillusioned German population someone to blame

Well yes anti-semitic propaganda was one way he used propaganda to maintain power, and anti-semitism was a means of terror.. You could have done your entire anti semitism question if you constantly stated and restated how each helped him maintain power ie

Showed the power of the govt
    Showed how "betrayal" of the Nazi government would be punished
    Made a common internal enemy to unite people around
    Gave previously disillusioned German population someone to blame

OK...now I wished I hadn't tried to move to Hitler Youth so quick, I wasn't thinking about Terror....I really should have spent more time bracing myself then last-minute studying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

ooPabsoo wrote: »
    people keep saying its so not predictable,it is predictable as the same things come up year after year

There's been three years - hardly much to go by

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Prepared well for it, but really focused on GAA, Anti-Semitism in Germany, Killing Home Rule with Kindness and Bus Boycott the night before - the only one that came up was the Bus Boycott so I just had to get through the others making it up as I went along. :p

Think I did okay overall though - got through it with 15 minutes to spare. The Dictators using propaganda/terror to maintain their power was a bit of a vague question, made what I though of it and wrote about Mussolini and Hitler. I was glad I looked over Anti-Semitism the night before and just before going into the exam :cool:

OK...now I wished I hadn't tried to move to Hitler Youth so quick, I wasn't thinking about Terror....I really should have spent more time bracing myself then last-minute studying.

Aye well you could have really written out your entire anti-semitism essay, propaganda and all, then added in bits to fill such as Hitler Youth, Nuremberg and the Cult of the Fuhrer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

Collaboration/ Resistance is related to France. You could have twisted it, but it will look like blatant twisting.

Aye well you could have really written out your entire anti-semitism essay, propaganda and all, then added in bits to fill such as Hitler Youth, Nuremberg and the Cult of the Fuhrer

Even if I had I wish we had more time (Yes I know it was extended by 20 Mins) because I'm a slow writer, and when I panic and rush it's a mess...wish you could get a scribe for it (I have my own centre and a reader who's a scribe in some subjects because I'm "Special". Commence laughter now.)

Even if I had I wish we had more time (Yes I know it was extended by 20 Mins) because I'm a slow writer, and when I panic and rush it's a mess...wish you could get a scribe for it (I have my own centre and a reader who's a scribe in some subjects because I'm "Special". Commence laughter now.)

Scribes must be crap though...

"X"
    "No, no wait y dammit oh crap rub that out"
    "No don't write that last thing I said"
    "Or that goddamn"

• Advertisement

Scribes must be crap though...

"X"
    "No, no wait y dammit oh crap rub that out"
    "No don't write that last thing I said"
    "Or that goddamn"

Yeah but it's optional, I really only ask her to draw out graphs because I'm lousy at them. (I don't think a scribe is all that helpful to me really if you don't get one for History or English, dictating would be much easier there. I sort of just said okay about having a reader because I'm seriously prone to daydreaming -enough to get help over it- but I ended up getting a scribe too. It's unusual that I got help though because my IQ Test, eh, was rather too good to usually be eligible...like really bloody high, apparently. MENSA frigging good. I'm pissed at my stupid top 10% world population IQ, as she called it, and not have anything to show for it, my Pre was abysmal. Anyway I got a Scribe because my "Physical" IQ is a fair it lower and my hands can't catch up with my mind or something.)

Really wish now I had gone over The Apprentice Boys more like he said to, I only wrote a Paragraph....damn I messed up there. (Though I had run out of time by then anyway...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

Hey guys

Did the lock out larkin ( lovely)
    - Did the EEC question on the fishing industry

Turned the propaganda to my favour wrote all about musso cult of a leader , and how he used the church as progaganda to get peoples support " who need church state relations"

Did people expect to get away with learning one topic per question?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,152 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's unusual that I got help though because my IQ Test, eh, was rather too good to usually be eligible

People with low IQs are not eligible for 'reasonable accommodation'.
    It's one of the peculiarities of the system. Someone has to be of normal intelligence but with a recognised disability, so having a low IQ would not allow someone to qualify, regardless of their disability.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭pearliefan

Economy was stupid but did it..
    France=brilliant
    Butt + Parnell=did it, but didn't know anything on Butt so that was annoying!:P
    Documents+easy!

a B maybe... nearly finished!

spurious wrote: »
    People with low IQs are not eligible for 'reasonable accommodation'.
    It's one of the peculiarities of the system. Someone has to be of normal intelligence but with a recognised disability, so having a low IQ would not allow someone to qualify, regardless of their disability.

Right, but she said that normally my IQ would be too high though. I'm still unsure I really deserve all the attention my school gives me....I don't feel like I'm worth it really, my biggest problem really is just laziness/procrastination.

pearliefan wrote: »
    Economy was stupid but did it..
    France=brilliant
    Butt + Parnell=did it, but didn't know anything on Butt so that was annoying!:P
    Documents+easy!

a B maybe... nearly finished!

As long as you carved out even a small paragraph on Butt, you can still get the A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 robynk18

yea...history was good our superintendent nice dev question.... gave us an extra 35 minutes so it was nice

does anyone else thin this is really unfair?? i do!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

robynk18 wrote: »
    ya completely! i had to end an essay beacuse time was up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

robynk18 wrote: »
    It is really unfair, my Europe essay was really rushed towards the end because I ran out of time. If I knew the guy that got extra time I'd report it to the SEC.

Advertisement