Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History (HL) - The Aftermath

Options
  • 10-06-2009 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

So how did you all do? I know it hasn't happened yet but I just decided to get the thread up early so past after your exam...Good luck!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

I was doing this exam this time last year....still traumatised!!

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

I finished it early. It was OK. I was really hoping that the bombing of belfast would come up coz I had that prepared but i had cultural identity prepared and that came up.i struggled thru a question about the industrialisation of belfast but 'how dictators use propaganda and fear came up so once again i was pleased. also bus boycott was up this year so im all smiles for document q! :) now i just have to prepare for chemistry and music and im done :) bring on the 12th of august! WOO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Jade182 wrote: »
    I finished it early. It was OK. I was really hoping that the bombing of belfast would come up coz I had that prepared but i had cultural identity prepared and that came up.i struggled thru a question about the industrialisation of belfast but 'how dictators use propaganda and fear came up so once again i was pleased. also bus boycott was up this year so im all smiles for document q! :) now i just have to prepare for chemistry and music and im done :) bring on the 12th of august! WOO!

What else was asked do you know? Parnell? C na G/FF economic polices? SHow Trials?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

There was a q about how parnell and butt differed as leaders but it made me feel blind panic just looking at it. I dont know about those other things,I usually just circle things that are immediately familiar(and comforting)and start them without trying to figure out what the other questions are talking about,it stops me from panicking!
    The exams just over officially now so there should be more people soon able to tell you.

Jade182 wrote: »
    There was a q about how parnell and butt differed as leaders but it made me feel blind panic just looking at it. I dont know about those other things,I usually just circle things that are immediately familiar(and comforting)and start them without trying to figure out what the other questions are talking about,it stops me from panicking!
    The exams just over officially now so there should be more people soon able to tell you.

Ah, I could write that ol' Parnell/Butt essay in my sleep last year. Anyone fancy throwing up the paper?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 U MAD

OL History was handy!

J/S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Waaahhh

Neither CnaG economic policies or Rise Of Sf was asked, they were my two bankers. I struggled through a question on 'Why were the anglo irish treat negotiations of 1921 controversial'. Bit of a c*nt of a question if ya ask me. There was a fair question on comparing Dev's economic policies and his handling of Anglo Irish relations, but didn't study it so was stuck with the other one!! Rest was fair enough.
    Only easy ones left now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Dr Gradus

Handy enough paper!

Ran out of time a bit at the end though but overall im quite pleaed.

Nazi propaganda, lock out and eucahristic C all the way!

Fuascailt wrote: »
    Ah, I could write that ol' Parnell/Butt essay in my sleep last year. Anyone fancy throwing up the paper?

It's on examinations.ie already. They're very very quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Waaahhh wrote: »
    Neither CnaG economic policies or Rise Of Sf was asked, they were my two bankers. I struggled through a question on 'Why were the anglo irish treat negotiations of 1921 controversial'. Bit of a c*nt of a question if ya ask me. There was a fair question on comparing Dev's economic policies and his handling of Anglo Irish relations, but didn't study it so was stuck with the other one!! Rest was fair enough.
    Only easy ones left now:D

The Anglo-Irish Treaty question is hard alright - details of the people involved, their experience or lack of, the main issues - partition and the oath, the signing off (not telling Dev) and then the Treaty itself.

Easy Dev question there, Anglo-Irish relations and economic polices - a gift.

What else came up in Europe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

No Anti-Semitism or Church State Relations!:eek: That was tbh a shock, but the questions were lovely and general, did France

The Sovereignty questions were also broad, especially for the de Valera one.

A Lemass question was lovely too, but had to incorporate social and education changes to supplement the economic changes

Overall happy enough with the exam:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 AR-15

That test went pretty good. Had the Butt/Parnell question already prepared so that went fine. I thought the propaganda/terror question was straightforward and easy to write about. The Northern Ireland question was alright. It helped that it included the war years. I struggled a lot on part d of the documents question though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Motorbreath

I'd like to consider myself a fairly decent History student...

...but what in the name of christ was that?! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Documents question was fine, as predicted.

Essay questions were quite hard actually. Not much of the predicted stuff came up.

Essays I did:
    Strike and Lockout - Prepared (4 pages)
    Dictators and their use of Propaganda - Unprepared (but I did prepare rise of Fascism and most of it actually fitted into propaganda quite nicely, so I turned it round a bit and I think I good a good essay out of it. I told my history teacher what I did and he said it sounded fine) - 3 pages.
    Cultural Identity - Unprepared. Got about 1pg and 3/4 done before I ran out of time. Got a couple decent paragraphs done from memory, but will lose marks here.

Overall it was a pretty tough paper. One of my friends, who is extremely intelligent, managed to have none of the essays that came up prepared. He still wrote a combined 11 pages for 3 essays, so I'd say he did fine, but he wasn't happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Weekend Warrior

What a disaster! :( Think I failed. Document question - had hoped for the Moon Landing, struggled through the Bus Boycott. I did Butt/Parnell which went fine, and then it all fell apart. Wrote four pages about Hitler and Stalin for the propaganda/terror one, stressed out about time and left it mid-sentence with no conclusion or anything. Worst of all, nothing I knew came up for Ireland Topic 3, so I ended up writing three dodgy paragraphs on Anglo-Irish treaty negotiations and then a few vague bulletin points hoping for some marks.
    I really, really wanted to do well in history; I don't know where it all went so wrong! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

ateam wrote: »
    The Anglo-Irish Treaty question is hard alright - details of the people involved, their experience or lack of, the main issues - partition and the oath, the signing off (not telling Dev) and then the Treaty itself.

Easy Dev question there, Anglo-Irish relations and economic polices - a gift.

What else came up in Europe?

How did dictators use terror and/or propaganda to maintain power.

Conditions in Britain in the inter-war years

Conditions in France in the inter-war years

The there was a question where you could talk about different things. One was resistance to Fascist rule and another was technology of warfare. Not sure what else.

I did the terror one. I didn't write about propaganda just terror in Stalin's regime. Was an easy question. Very handy paper overall.

Yeha lot of the predictions made here and elsewhere were way off...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ThatWouldBeNice

I know, right?

No church-state relations...
    No Holocaust (if only, right? :D)...
    No rise of Sinn Fein...
    No "conditions that lead to rise of Fascism"...
    No effect of WWII in Ireland...

It worked out okay in the end, I did Unionism, Dev and Terror 'n' Propaganda. Hopefully a B. But good God :eek:

What a disaster! :( Think I failed. Document question - had hoped for the Moon Landing, struggled through the Bus Boycott. I did Butt/Parnell which went fine, and then it all fell apart. Wrote four pages about Hitler and Stalin for the propaganda/terror one, stressed out about time and left it mid-sentence with no conclusion or anything. Worst of all, nothing I knew came up for Ireland Topic 3, so I ended up writing three dodgy paragraphs on Anglo-Irish treaty negotiations and then a few vague bulletin points hoping for some marks.
    I really, really wanted to do well in history; I don't know where it all went so wrong! :(

If you wrote four pages you're surely fine!!

Just had a look there, Dictatorship and democracy was a bit of a bitch, me thinks. Irish sections seemed pretty fair, v. broad questions...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭bricky10

Delaps predictions were not that correct :( ah sure I think I did ok anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I think we can officially say that trying to predict history in the leaving is absolute waste of time.

However, as a student who struggled with higher level history I thought it was good paper. Thank the Lord.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 predominanantly

I did the propaganda/ terror one for D&D.. but I only focused it on Hitler and propaganda. If it was a propaganda question on Nazi Germany I would have done really well... it said and/or. Will I lose that much marks for covering so little??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I can't for the life of me finish that paper in the time given. I could only do Montgomery, propaganda in Europe and changes to education/Irish culture. Didn't touch a third essay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

I did the propaganda/ terror one for D&D.. but I only focused it on Hitler and propaganda. If it was a propaganda question on Nazi Germany I would have done really well... it said and/or. Will I lose that much marks for covering so little??

No I don't think so. I only wrote about Stalin and terror. If they wanted you to do more than one it would have just said and. As long as you got a good essay done you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭damienricefan

Lovely Paper.

Documents both nice and easy to navigate

Did Treaty Negotiations, one of my babies!

Did Sunningdale Agreement Importance, a bit patchy and dodgy in places but i'd say i still did okay

Did Hitler completely for Dic & Dem, Think that was my best essay, i just love preaching those aryan ideals ! haha

say I got my B!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

thought it was pretty ok, vut i did the essay on de valera's economics/angli irish policies and that went to ****e! also i had to end my last essay on cold war crises fairly abruptly! but there were 2 of us in the exam hall writing a few minutes over the finish time!

Lovely Paper.

Documents both nice and easy to navigate

Did Treaty Negotiations, one of my babies!

Did Sunningdale Agreement Importance, a bit patchy and dodgy in places but i'd say i still did okay

Did Hitler completely for Dic & Dem, Think that was my best essay, i just love preaching those aryan ideals ! haha

say I got my B!!!

Can I ask what you wrote for the treaty Q? Like I know the terms were controversial but what actually was controversial about the negotiations? That's what had me stumped!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

I'm pretty much the same, but I did mention Mussolini and Italy a little bit. Just focused on Hitler more; I suppose it's natural. Just curious, what points did you make about propaganda? I hadn't the question prepared, but think I did OK. Just want to see what other people did. Just a few quick headings is all I'm asking, don't want you to go into detail! :)

• Advertisement

No I don't think so. I only wrote about Stalin and terror. If they wanted you to do more than one it would have just said and. As long as you got a good essay done you'll be fine.

You could def choose between propaganda and terror. Unclear as to whether you needed more than one dictator, i'd imagine you'd be grand.

Advertisement