Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pick a number......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Let's be honest, aside from showing the deviation between options 6 and 7 having a poll on the A&A forum is fairly pointless. Try After Hours and see how it goes. Even then it's far from representative, Boards clearly has a liberal/secular ethos*.

* Yes I said it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I am the troll!!!.

Finally you agree!!

If only you had agreed with my initial point

Ahh now we are getting to the point, I didnt agree with you:rolleyes: why didnt you just start your posts with...

'Ok everyone you must agree with what I have to say then I'll move on' (you should make that your sig, kinda suits you:p)

Thats my point, I do not agree with you, I do think the poll is usefull, no, not scientific but as I have already shown that point had been made before you scraped along (back to the point that you didnt even have the decency to READ the thread before posting on it)

You want me and all here simply to agree with you. Sorry but we have a thing called free speech, I do not have to agree with you, and on this point I am not.
    You can post your thoughts all you want but if you post on a thread without reading it first, and use language which isnt very friendly (and continue on this vein as you did) I will call you a troll as that is what I think you are:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Zillah wrote: »
    Boards clearly has a liberal/secular ethos*.

* Yes I said it
    Spit, spit, spit.

Think I'm going to outlaw that word in this forum.

Yet I am the troll!!!
    Well, for somebody with just 14 posts to their name, you've hit the ground running at almost exactly the same speed as a certain well-known poster from another forum.

You wouldn't happen to be married to a chick named Morwen by any chance, would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I think Ive shown clearly that the poll is biased, unscientific and of no real value.

Repeating it over and over is not the same as showing it.14% of people voted for the first 4 options and you are calling them pointless. Clearly you are wrong but that's never stopped anyone trolling before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

Overblood wrote: »
    If that's the case then we're all f**ked for not believing in unicorns, FSM, and black turtle-gobbling cheese cake monsters (they live on the moon - DISPROVE IT SO!!!).

Are you saying there's no possibility that on some planet there's a creature, similar to a horse, with a horn on its forehead that eats butterflies and poops rainbows... I think you'll agree that it's possible. ;)

I think what you are failing to see is that people accept option number 6, but in reality they act like number 7 is true, due to its lack of relevance.

The same can be said of a lot of things, I've never personally done the maths to prove to myself that the earth is an oblique spheroid but I accept it.

I cannot say that God, the FSM or Xenu exists, but as this quandary has no relevance to my life, I live in manner that they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Hurry,Reboot

robindch wrote: »
    Well, for somebody with just 14 posts to their name, you've hit the ground running at almost exactly the same speed as a certain well-known poster from another forum.

You wouldn't happen to be married to a chick named Morwen by any chance, would you?

No, I am not....

And I find it amusing that so many posters here (including Moderators, it seems), despite the forums own charter, continue to play the man rather than the ball.

I have made 3 arguments:
    1. The poll is unscientific - this, at least, has been conceded by whacker and i think is beyond reasonable argument.

2. It is biased - I am not sure if this has been directly conceded but as it is posted and held in the atheism and agnosticism forum, it must be, by its very nature, biased. The only way in which it could not be considered biased is if it could be shown that the footfall in this forum is broadly equally split as between believers and non-believers. That assertion would clearly be untrue. And the fact that options 1 and 2 got a vote each, and option 3 got 3/4 votes does not suddenly make the poll representative or unbiased.

3. It is of no real value. This is the most debatable. My view is that its only value is as a conversation starter (or perhaps as a debating tool between options 4,5,6 and 7 - but then why include options 1-3?). That, I contend, is "no real value". I have put forward two analogies of other hypothetical polls which would be conducted amongst a similarly biased/skewed sector of society and have shown how those polls would be inherently biased and of "no real value". Noone here has either addressed or deconstructed those analogies. Nor have they sought to show how your poll has value (other than as a conversation starter/other minor points).

So I make a number of reasoned and logical posts; yet my arguments are not addressed in any meaningful way. Instead I am labelled as a 'troll' and suggestions are made that I am somebody else.

So, who is the real troll here?

Funny, I always thought atheists prided themselves on reason, on logic, on science, on evidence......
    Not on this forum, it seems.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Okay. We've established the poll is flawed - what poll isn't?
    This was made clear (by the OP) from the outset. Just pick a number (or not) and move on.
    Post if you've something relevant to add that hasn't been beaten to death already.

Hurry, Roboot - you've added nothing to this thread. Continue on this line and you might find one or both of your accounts blocked from here.

Dades wrote: »
    Okay. We've established the poll is flawed - what poll isn't?
    This was made clear (by the OP) from the outset. Just pick a number (or not) and move on..

Well, Im glad to hear someone addressing the argument (isn't that what these forums are for?).
    But the OP did not admit any such thing from the outset; after a number of posts he said that it was unscientific. S/He continues to claim it is not biased and is of value. I disagree. I am trying to expand on the reasons that I disagree. Is that not allowed here?

I have made a reasoned argument which others have rebutted by calling me a troll. And I get threatened with a ban!!
    Hurry, Roboot - you've added nothing to this thread. Continue on this line and you might find one or both of your accounts blocked from here.

Well, obviously I disagree with the first point.
    On the second, may I point out that I only have one account.
    Another user of this computer has an account and that may be why you are mistaken.
    You will also find that the other user (to my knowledge) has never posted on any Atheism and Agnosticism threads, its not his gig.
    So, nice attempt at discrediting me by suggesting that I am being duplicitous. But it is entirely untrue.
    More playing the man rather the ball.
    You should read your charter.

If you have a problem with moderation - take it to PM.

If you don't want to be accused of using two accounts - don't post in the same thread under two names. Though I think we can consider that cleared up.

The bottom line is you've wasted a lot of space claiming that the poll was 'unscientific' when you were the only one to use that term. You crusade is pointless. If you spent more time here, you'd know there is a constant debate concerning answers 6 & 7, and clearly this thread is concerned with that. That the OP chose to include other options was to not exclude anyone from voting.

So if you want to stay in the thread, quit badgering everyone in here, answer the poll, and if you feel like it - state why you chose what you did.

• Advertisement

If you have a problem with moderation - take it to PM.

If you don't want to be accused of using two accounts - don't post in the same thread under two names. Though I think we can consider that cleared up..

Would you like to withdraw that last comment or substantiate it, please, thanks. It is entirely untrue*.
    * - On one occasion because a communal computer "remembers" my colleagues user-name, I mistakenly posted under a different name. I noticed it in 2 seconds and deleted it within 10 seconds and reposted in my own name within one minute. Noone replied to it and I would be surprised if anyone saw it.
    The bottom line is you've wasted a lot of space claiming that the poll was 'unscientific' when you were the only one to use that term. You crusade is pointless..

While I did introduce that term, the poster of the poll has now stated that it is "unscientific". My assertion and his admission could have taken 2 lines. The fact that it did not was not my doing.
    If you spent more time here, you'd know there is a constant debate concerning answers 6 & 7, and clearly this thread is concerned with that. That the OP chose to include other options was to not exclude anyone from voting..

I'd prefer to hear the OP's reasons as to why s/he set up the thread rather than your interpretation. However, if the thread was set up to debate options 6 & 7, thats fine. But there is no real value added to that debate by adding options 1-3 (particlarly). I will remind you that my other contention was that the poll was of "no real value" and "biased".
    So if you want to stay in the thread, quit badgering everyone in here, answer the poll, and if you feel like it - state why you chose what you did.

How am I badgering? I raised a criticism of the poll on 3 grouinds. I expanded on those grounds. My arguments were not rebutted. I am called a troll. I am threatened with a ban. I am falsely accused of posting on the same thread under two different names. Yet, I am doing the badgering....?!!!

And finally, for what it's worth, I am a 5.

Would you like to withdraw that last comment or substantiate it, please, thanks. It is entirely untrue*.
    * - On one occasion because a communal computer "remembers" my colleagues user-name, I mistakenly posted under a different name. I noticed it in 2 seconds and deleted it within 10 seconds and reposted in my own name within one minute. Noone replied to it and I would be surprised if anyone saw it.

Mods can see deleted posts

Mods can this 'debate' and all concerned posts be moved to a new thread in the forum? Its obvious that the poster is only trying to hijack the thread and kill any kind of conversation which is/was taking part. I would be more than happy to continue a direct discussion about the strengths and weaknesses of boards polls but I think it deserves(?) its own thread... it could be called 'I want you to agree with me'

He is yet to put forward any kind of worth while post so this I think (not second guessing the all powerful mods decision) hes lucky not to be 'moved on' for want of a better term...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Mods can see deleted posts
    Their powers are... dare I say it... god like !

:eek:
    Blasphemy... lucky that law isnt passed yet:D

And I don't think it's a coincidence that mod rhymes with....

Hurry,Reboot - last warning.

Quit (1) derailing the thread with this repetitive search for a confession, and (2) questioning mods decision IN the thread.

well I believe there is only one true mod, all others are false mods. There are many names of for mods but only one true MOD. Boards was started by mod, all we have, see and read is because of the mod. Anyone who goes against the law of mod will feel the true power......

Hurry,Reboot - last warning.

Quit (1) derailing the thread with this repetitive search for a confession, and (2) questioning mods decision IN the thread.

I will gladly accept the criticism that I am taking the thread off-topic and humbly withdraw. I wouldn't disagree with whacker's suggestion above but that's your choice.

However, before I withdraw, I expect a withdrawl of your assertion that I was "posting in the same thread under two names". I have been transparent about this yet you have not acknowledged this. We all know what that statement suggests (duplicity; posting in support of one's own argument etc...) and nothing could be further from the truth. I have no problem taking this issue in PM or elsewhere but, as you initially posted these criticisms/insinuations publically, I think it is only reasonable that you withdraw or at least qualify your assertion that I am posting under two names in public also.
    Continue on this line and you might find one or both of your accounts blocked from here. .
    If you don't want to be accused of using two accounts - don't post in the same thread under two names. Though I think we can consider that cleared up...

Hi, Hurry,Reboot - this is your other friendly A+A mod tuning in for a minute.
    it is only reasonable that you withdraw or at least qualify your assertion that I am posting under two names in public also.
    If you want to discuss moderation of any forum, you may do so in the Help Desk. Further posts which are not relevant to this thread will be deleted.

• Advertisement

Just to pre-empt Helpdesk which is a last option...
    Dades wrote:
    If you don't want to be accused of using two accounts - don't post in the same thread under two names. Though I think we can consider that cleared up

Hurry,Reboot - the bolded text above was me accepting your explanation some time back, so we can all put down Legal Speak for Dummies and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

You may indeed say it (the 3rd friendly ?)
    Both account are temp closed till a certain discrepancy is cleared up to my satisfaction; I need the OP to qualify his assertion that he is not posting under two names in public.

Anyway back to the topic:D

I certainly believe in an interventionest mod!

I'm after getting the thumbs up to post it in the christinaty forum... but I'm not sure its worth it after all this:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Overblood wrote: »
    The god of the Christian bible doesn't exist. I know it's unscientific to choose no.7, but if I was scientific enough to get to 6 by reasoning etc., then I may as well jump over to no.7. I'm rounding off my 6.9 to a 7.

And as Calibos said, this is my view on the god of christianity.

Whatever atheist picks no.6 is lying to themselves.

Well in terms of the god of christianity then I'm probably a number 7 also. He not only doesn't exist but cannot exist. However, that wasn't the question.

We can rule out the god of christianity but we can't say with 100% certainty that there is no god/creator of any kind. It doesn't appear likely or even necessary, and personally I'd be pretty sure there isn't one (or more). However this still doesn't equate to absolute certainty. There are few things we can be certain of.

EDIT: I picked 6 in the poll.

Ah what the hell... I'm gonna post it in the christianity forum:D

Job done

Reagrding 6 v 7, the problem is there is there's no way of "knowing" there is no, say, Christian God any different from "knowing" about any completely undefined entity.

I think to choose number 7, you have to define "knowing" as something less than 100%.

This isn't necessarily an issue. We "know" things every day of our lives that aren't as clear cut as a strong atheist's lack of belief in gods. The problem arises when we apply our own supposed critical thinking to the idea that we "know" something untestable.

Some people seem to be caught up by specific religions definitions of 'god' christian etc. Its a general question I think, I guess it boils down to your own definition to an extent. Mine would be was the big bang a 'natural' event independent of a third party and governed by physics or was there some kind of intelligent intervention that lead to where we are today. I dont know what happened before the big bang ergo I'm a 6. That is only my take on it, others will apply their own interpretation....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

*groan*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Zillah wrote: »
    *groan*
    Don't worry I'm here all week, plenty more of those classics :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Damn, I picked 5. I'm not with the cool kids.

Advertisement