Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pick a number......

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Overblood wrote: »

Are you saying I'm wrong to choose #7 and say that there's absolutely no such thing as the banana tiger?

Any option but 6 is wrong. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Hurry,Reboot

Do you guys really take your little poll seriously.......?
    Given its posted in the "Atheism and Agnosticism" forum, surely its about as useful as a one-legged man at an arse kicking contest?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Given its posted in the "Atheism and Agnosticism" forum, surely its about as useful as a one-legged man at an arse kicking contest?

Considering teh poll is there to gauge the opinions of the people who frequent this particular forum, I'd say it's doing a pretty good job.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Considering teh poll is there to gauge the opinions of the people who frequent this particular forum, I'd say it's doing a pretty good job.

Why include 1-4 as options then; they are hardly going to get much traffic.....

As atheist-types are forever talking about scientific proof, how scientific do you think a poll like this is?

You would all scoff at a poll performed and published by, for instance, the Iona Institute as being biased and of no real value. At least admit the same about your own one.

Because we get religious people posting here. They are perfectly entitled to do so and should be allowed partake in the poll.
    As atheist-types are forever talking about scientific proof, how scientific do you think a poll like this is?

You would all scoff at a poll performed and published by, for instance, the Iona Institute as being biased and of no real value. At least admit the same about your own one.

Headline: "Atheism & Agnosticism Forum Contains Mostly Atheists & Agnostics"
    Hardly misleading research now is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Have you never seen one of those? They are freaking hilarious! "Useless" me (sore) ass!

Headline: "Atheism & Agnosticism Forum Contains Mostly Atheists & Agnostics"
    Hardly misleading research now is it?

I didnt call it misleading.
    I called it biased and of no real value.
    It is both.
    But I guess it will make a lot of people in this forum clap themselves on the back for getting the "right" answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

It is both.
    But I guess it will make a lot of people in this forum clap themselves on the back for getting the "right" answer.

just because this is A&A it doesnt mean only atheists post here, it is a public forum so anyone is allowed post and vote....just incase you forgot or overlooked that little fact!

It is both.

How is it biased if it's open to everyone? As I said before it's to gauge the opinions of those who frequent the forum.

Knowing a lot of the people who post here, being part of the majority will most likely annoy them. :pac:

How is it biased if it's open to everyone? As I said before it's to gauge the opinions of those who frequent the forum.

Yes, and the people who frequent this forum are overwhelmingly of one opinion on the God issue so the poll is biased and of no real value......

Here's a little illustration which may assist you:

Is a poll of people who attend the local Catholic Church unbiased?
    The Church is open to everyone.
    Yawn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Yes, and the people who frequent this forum are overwhelmingly of one opinion on the God issue so the poll is biased and of no real value......

Yawn

What precisely do you think the poll is trying to find out? Do you think it's trying to get a general mean of the population? Do you think we're going to submit the results to the census office?

It's not biased if it clearly states that it is looking for the opinions of those who frequent this particular forum. In taht case it suits it's purpose quite well. It may be of no real value to you, but it may be of some value to regular forum contributors who may be curious as to how their fellow posters feel about this particular issue.

Yawn

Actually such a poll would be a very good way of gauging the opinions of those who frequent said church. Provided the results were presented stating that this were the case, as opposed to saying that this is a representation of a much wider demograph, I see no problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

ahh... one can hardly encapsulate the true spectrum of beliefs here with a 6 option poll, think of it as a toy rather than the inqusition

Shame you dont actually take the time to read threads before you troll onto one

Thats the trouble with people & religion, they decide to assume what people think and become a judge before they ask any questions

As atheist-types are forever talking about scientific proof, how scientific do you think a poll like this is?quote]

If you bothered to read anything in this fourm you would know that this is an existing format and was posted by me so I know where the posters are coming from, it was not for me to tamper with... now until you have something worth while to contribute why not head over here until you may learn something about yourself, just tell them your a troll... or be sent here where you have prob been before...

Also FYI I have askes a mod in the christianity forum if I can pose the same question over there, as yes I do want to know the 'level' of peoples beliefs, not everything is as black and white as religion you know:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Also FYI I have askes a mod in the christianity forum if I can pose the same question over there, as yes I do want to know the 'level' of peoples beliefs, not everything is as black and white as religion you know:p

Actually, similar questions have been asked over there. I think the finding was that more atheists post on the Christianity forum than Christians...

May be wrong in my memory of that, though...

thats why I have asked, if they say no, such is life. Be a bit cheeky of me just to dump it in there...:D

It's not biased if it clearly states that it is looking for the opinions of those who frequent this particular forum. In taht case it suits it's purpose quite well. It may be of no real value to you, but it may be of some value to regular forum contributors who may be curious as to how their fellow posters feel about this particular issue.

Hey, I dont mind if you guys want to do a poll of what atheists believe but it is clearly biased towards options 4 thru 7... That is a simple fact. It may be of value to you but is of little scientific value. My original assertion was that it was unscientific, biased and of no real value. That remains the case.

Shame you dont actually take the time to read threads before you troll onto one

Thats the trouble with people & religion, they decide to assume what people think and become a judge before they ask any questions

If you bothered to read anything in this fourm you would know that this is an existing format and was posted by me so I know where the posters are coming from, it was not for me to tamper with... now until you have something worth while to contribute why not head over here until you may learn something about yourself, just tell them your a troll... or be sent here where you have prob been before...

Oh stop whinging.
    How can it be trolling to question the validity of your little poll when you questioned its own validity yourself!!!

Hey, I dont mind if you guys want to do a poll of what atheists believe but it is clearly biased towards options 4 thru 7... That is a simple fact. It may be of value to you but is of little scientific value. My original assertion was that it was unscientific, biased and of no real value. That remains the case.

Stop being so foolish, excluding the fist 4 would have excluded +/- 17% of votes so far, the poll has been explaned to you and I for one value each vote.
    Oh stop whinging.
    How can it be trolling to question the validity of your little poll when you questioned its own validity yourself!!!

Again, this now means that you have read (at least one post) about it and still persist with your vain labour, this in its very self is trolling.

Please leave and start a thread elsewhere to define trolling if you wish to discuss it.
    You dont think the poll is applicable, well done, you have had a thought, I respect that but you have expressed your opinion there is no need to continue.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,201 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If it was a specific god from any of the organized religions i'd probably go a 7, but since the poll didnt specify i'm a 6.

As for the teapot thing, my cousin is an astronaut in the states, he assured me he put the teapot in orbit himself at my request. I know it's there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Oh noes, the little internet poll is upsetting the troll can we can't submitt it to the Daily Mail Fail as hard fact.

Again, this now means that you have read (at least one post) about it and still persist with your vain labour, this in its very self is trolling.

Please leave and start a thread elsewhere to define trolling if you wish to discuss it.
    You dont think the poll is applicable, well done, you have had a thought, I respect that but you have expressed your opinion there is no need to continue.

I would have thought that questioning the value and basis of a poll would be something atheists would be strongly in favour of. Atheists generally value independent verifiable scientific evidence.

Except on here, of course!
    Here, its trolling.........!!

Of course, if you want to post polls with 7 choices amongst people who overwhelmingly are going to choose only 2 of those options and then discuss the poll like it is of any kind of real value, go for it.

But try and remember the irony/hypocrisy, the next time you spout on about how ridiculous it is to believe in something for which there is no independently verifiable scieintific evidence for!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I would have thought that questioning the value and basis of a poll would be something atheists would be strongly in favour of. Atheists generally value independent verifiable scientific evidence.

Except on here, of course!
    Here, its trolling.........!!

Of course, if you want to post polls with 7 choices amongst people who overwhelmingly are going to choose only 2 of those options and then discuss the poll like it is of any kind of real value, go for it.

But try and remember the irony/hypocrisy, the next time you spout on about how ridiculous it is to believe in something for which there is no independently verifiable scieintific evidence for!!!

I would say it's of value because a lot of religious people like to think that all atheists are #7 on the list so they can dismiss them or call it a religion in itself. The poll shows them to be wrong

Yawn... oh are you back?

Sorry can you explane your logic?

Its my intrest, an indivdual, asking a simple question. There will be no reports from this. there will be no arguments formulated, I think the first post covers this, i want to know of the people who visit this forum what their background belief is. again if you want to run a poll excluding the first four questions be my guest, but imho that whold make about as much sense as the rest of your posts to date.

So look go argue else where, i found the perfect thread for you, the guys in the thunderdome, well they would just love a visit from you, you can even put up a poll with three options, shall I tell them to PM you, just say the would and youll have loads of new friends... wouldnt that be fun for ya:D ;):rolleyes::pac:

Yawn... oh are you back?

Sorry can you explane your logic?

Its my intrest, an indivdual, asking a simple question. There will be no reports from this. there will be no arguments formulated, I think the first post covers this, i want to know of the people who visit this forum what their background belief is. again if you want to run a poll excluding the first four questions be my guest, but imho that whold make about as much sense as the rest of your posts to date.

The poll has less value than a poll in a Man Utd fanzine asking who the best player in England is.....!?

It might be something to stimulate debate but it is unscientific, biased and of no real value.

Which is what I said at the outset. If you cant follow the logic of that, there is little hope for you.

So stop crying and callling someone who criticises you a troll and just admit that your little poll is nothing more than a conversation starter. Then you may have some credibility.

this guy just keeps going in circles!!! infairness wtf?

Ok, lets dance...

At which point did I or anyone else claim scientific credence for this poll (for any poll in boards), please quote me a post to back up your role as 'scientific police'.
    I'll wait as you will have to actually read the thread now:D

Oh wait is this what you mean???
    Hi all,

Thought I'd post this up with a poll just to see where people stand. If this is a repeat thread so sorry...

Sorry it must be this one
    ahh... one can hardly encapsulate the true spectrum of beliefs here with a 7 option poll, think of it as a toy rather than the inqusition

Nope not that one either...... sorry I tried to help you, your on your own now..

Sure you dont want me to get the thunderdome guys to pm you, I can set it up... ye have soooooo much in commonn:pac::pac:

At which point did I or anyone else claim scientific credence for this poll (for any poll in boards), please quote me a post to back up your role as 'scientific police'.

You didnt.
    Nor did I ever say you did.

I am pointing out (again) that the poll is biased, unscientific and of no real value.
    You are calling me a troll for pointing this out.
    If you agree with me, just say so.
    Then you can move on and stop whinging.

It is both.

Yawn
    I am pointing out (again) that the poll is biased, unscientific and of no real value.
    You are calling me a troll for pointing this out.
    If you agree with me, just say so.
    Then you can move on and stop whinging.

Ahh the tracks of a poster who is adding value to a thread... this however it how to add to a post while disagreeing on the value of a poll
    Can't pick a number, because your scale is a dichotomy between theist and atheist, and a distortion of reality in that it places people into convenient categories, when their behaviour is often more complex and context laden (as is the natural world we live in). See Jacques Derrida in Points for more discussion regarding the problematic condition of dichotomies.

Sorry hurry but you lead in without anything to offer and sought confrontation. You had not read the thread, nor any others, I explaned where the poll came from and if you read the link you would see why I (and 68 voters) agree its worthwhile. No claims about why it is here nor about its scientific application. It was stated clearly at the start it was a role call of forum posted, which came from my own intrest.

So, no I do not believe you are posting here out of a ligit concern, you are trolling with intent. I will not agree with you that the poll has no value as 68 people voted and now I have a clear view of who has used this forum since it was set up. It has the same value as any other poll on boards.

As for your insistance that the first 4 Q's should not have been put up tell that to the people who voted for them. The result shows that yes people of faith do view the A&A forum and so is not simply an echo chamber. Unlike you I enjoy hearing opposing views on topics such as religion.

Now seeing as I will not bow to your unreasionable view that this poll is of no use, and as your argument holds no water nor relivance, unless you have something worth reading, I consider our communication finished.

• Advertisement

Now seeing as I will not bow to your unreasionable view that this poll is of no use, and as your argument holds no water nor relivance, unless you have something worth reading, I consider our communication finished.

I think Ive shown clearly that the poll is biased, unscientific and of no real value. I have compared it to polls taken at a local Church or polls in a Man Utd fanzine, both reasonably (though not perfectly) accurate analogies.

In return, you do not address my specific points or attempt to deconstruct my analogies. Instead you call me a troll, question my motivations and post half-page rambling mega posts.

Yet I am the troll!!!

If only you had agreed with my initial point (or at least if you had not chosen to take issue with it), you could have saved yourself the bother and emerged with some credibility.

Advertisement