Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art History (HL)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Weekend Warrior

i mailed u back.... at least i think i did... i started writing and just hit send! it cud be in Azerbaijan by now...!

We've taken over this thread! :D I tried 'colour-coding' that wonderful plan thing (dating back to 1987, no less?!) that er, our art teacher (you never know where she could be looking) gave us...It doesn't help. :( I didn't even know what colours to colour them in. Lots of purple was involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 heeereees-jonny

We've taken over this thread! :D I tried 'colour-coding' that wonderful plan thing (dating back to 1987, no less?!) that er, our art teacher (you never know where she could be looking) gave us...It doesn't help. :( I didn't even know what colours to colour them in. Lots of purple was involved.

we're artists! as long as it looks gud, y fight bout it!!! I h8ed her silly plan ting.... i choose to spend an evening making up my own! i came to the conclusion that in the following will come up:

IRISH
    Iron age: metalwork/ stonework
    Early Christian: Manuscript/ stone crosses/ metalwork

EUROPEAN
    Gothic: sculpture/ stained glass
    Romanesque: Sculpture/ Architecture
    Giotto
    Pissano
    Ghiberti

APPRECIATION
    museum/ gallery visit

But that still looks like SO much work so i kept putting off doing anything.... and here we are! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭questionmark

dose any body know what i should write under the heading techniques for the petrie crown? please help , thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭rhapsody!

Hey all, is there a question EVERY year under european saying describe a painting under the following heading..
    and you pick a heading and then talk about the painting and then either a painting of the same theme by another artist or another painting by the same artist??

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Yeah, good question Rhapsody. For my mocks, I answered a question similar to what you described on the Arnolfini Portrait.

• Advertisement

Yeah, from the papers I've seen it seems to come of every year.
    I hope so. I'm only learning Dali.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭BLARG

rhapsody! wrote: »
    Yeah, from the papers I've seen it seems to come of every year.
    I hope so. I'm only learning Dali.
    _
    Describe a picture where you don't know what the fark is happening.

ya i am just learning dali too, really hope he comes up his painting are usually good to blend into a lot of diffrent thing depecting water/animals/plants/landscape

Exactly - he has so many themes you can waffle about him under any title.
    Even if you got a title nothing to do with Dali, his work is so surreal you could say it was under that title as long as you've got enough to back up your answer. As long as you saying "In my opinion.." they have to give you marks :P Art is enterpreted differently by everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭mikeglee

I like it, I just think the course is out to get you.

Finally someone who understands me:P:D:cool:

• Advertisement

ya and dali is very intersting so its easy to write abouth him. the symbolism in his painting is greath their so much in his stuff that u can write loads where as other artists you have to make most of it up. what paintings have u studied, i did the ''metamorphosis of narcisus'' and the ''prestiance of time"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

didn't study anything yet damn. I'm off to the land of nod now, maybe in the morning. this is the only subject I do where you really have to just sort of learn ****e off by heart, and I'm really crap at that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭7Steve

Ok, so Ive learned off my Iron Age essay (background, Petrie Crown, Turoe stone), now just gotta learn my thematic one (European). I decided to do Manet's Olympus and A Bar a Folies-Bergiere.

No matter what comes up I'm writing them down. If Newgrange and "Write about a painting with horses", I'm using my two essays. I don't care if I get 0%, I'd rather be in with a chance of getting a B, then just leaving after 30mins.

Appreciation'll will be a breeze. No bother. I'll make it up as I go along. If all I can do is "Write about a visit to a gallery/museum" comes up. I'll just make up the museum (I'll say it's in a different country) and make up the paintings ("lesser known artists").

I hope my examiner doesn't know what google is, and the exam is as predicted (Unlike Stair na Gaeilge <shakes fist at Department>), otherwise I will not be a happy camper :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

dose any body know what i should write under the heading techniques for the petrie crown? please help , thanks

I know very little about the Petrie Crown (I blame Less Success More Stress) but under that section you probably should write about the low relief design, the triskele birdheads and all that crap.

Three sketches for each answer? That's ludicrous. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 NerdPantzz

hhmm not sure! Crap!! Chased? or repousse?? I cant be sure! will hav to check before the exam.. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭corkarcher

rhapsody! wrote: »
    Already a topic on the same page :P
    but yeah also dead.

hay! s'not my fault... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭7Steve

7Steve wrote: »
    Ok, so Ive learned off my Iron Age essay (background, Petrie Crown, Turoe stone), now just gotta learn my thematic one (European). I decided to do Manet's Olympus and A Bar a Folies-Bergiere.

Im between two minds to learn Romanesque now. Damn, 2 essays in 4 hours...

YOU CAN DO IT STEVE!!!

I really need to get off this site...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

ok im going with

iron age - la tene - turoe stone & lougnashade trumpet
    crosses - aglish pillar, carndonagh, Moone

botticelli - birth of venus & Primevera
    kinda know - raphael the virgin and the goldfinch and leonardo the virgion on the rocks for chiarascuro

then gallery q

HELP ME :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

G'luck to everyone in the exam, sounds like most of us will need it :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 heeereees-jonny

I've decided to risk it all and bank everything on

La tene metal/stone and either Romanesque Arch/Sculpture or Gothic Stained glass cumin up!!!!! i dnt hav time for anything else at this point! cum on the Blue Virgin of Chatres!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Ugh I only learned High Crosses last night, took for fcuking ever! Still have to do Iron Age/La Tene and Giotto and Michelangelo, hardly possible now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

http://www.visual-arts-cork.com/irish-crafts/petrie-crown.htm

probably a bit late but theres loads of info there.
    To summarise though techniques would be incising, the horn being made from a curved sheet of bronze over a copper undersheet and then riveted, and openwork on the baseplate!
    Good luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭BLARG

I wish that a picture of the petrie crown from a different angle existed. I just don't get what the hell it's supposed to be... is it flat? surely a crown would have to be spherical? (And I know that they only think it could have been a crown)

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

BLARG wrote: »
    I wish that a picture of the petrie crown from a different angle existed. I just don't get what the hell it's supposed to be... is it flat? surely a crown would have to be spherical? (And I know that they only think it could have been a crown)

Haha it's weird I was just thinking that! I dunno how its meant to be a crown either! theres holes in it that might mean it was stitched to a piece of leather so maybe they like tied the leather round their head to keep it on or something???
    Ah well, if the SEC thinks its a crown, I'll think its a crown!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

I've studied:

Paul Henry and the Fairy Thorn.

And I'm going to read over:

Brunelesschi

And hopefully bull**** my way through appreciation.

I've set myself up for a major disappointment! :o Feck it, it's my last exam! :D Even though it will probably cause me to have to come back next year...

thank **** la tene came up, only thing I knew. I did the broighter collar and the petrie crown, I didn't really know how it influenced other stuff though so I only wrote a few lines for that, I only knew impressionism and post impressionism for the european section. but I didn't learn renoir so I could only do half that question, anyone know if they're split half and half or what? and the sure the gallery question was grand. I did ok, maybe even better than I expected I would, but still crap :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭mikeglee

well thank god that's over. I've never written so much rubbish in my life. Good rubbish though:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

I rocked the high crosses question, wrote like 4 pages including small sketches. My Michelangelo was pretty good too, did David as another work by him. Appreciation I had like 15 minutes left for, because I knew I'd make a balls of it anyway. I don't think it was that bad, but the examiner won't be going 'wow' that's for sure. I did the last question on the weird horse sculpture and blabbed on a bit, then named a work in my area, bit I didn't know who it was by. Ran out of time but I wouldn't have had that much more to write anyway. Hoping for a B1 over all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭ak51535

hah, yeah +1 for La Tene, bull****ted about sculptures, sooo much made up stuff! :p
    Then jsut did that Giotto question that was on the other sheet
    soooo glad it's over (Y)

Advertisement