Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art History (HL)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Just make sure you pick a "period" for sections 1 & 2 and stick with it.

For example, for section 1, choose either pre-Christian (bronze/iron age) or Christian (manuscripts/metalwork/high crosses), and for section 2, maybe renaissance, gothic, academic or post-1850

For example, I did mine a few years back and covered;

Section 1 - Christian
    Metalwork - Tara Brooch, Ardagh Chalice, Derrynaflan (basic knowledge only), Cross of Cong, Crosier (basic again)
    Manuscripts - Cathach, Book of Durrow, Book of Kells
    High Crosses - the early examples, and then moved into Scriptural Cross, Muirideach's Cross.

Section 2 - post-1850
    Impressionism - Monet (key artist), Manet, Renoir, Cezanne
    Cubism - Picasso (key), Bracques
    Surrealism - Dali (key), Miro, Magritte
    Then filled in the blanks with very basic knowledge of post-impressionism, fauvism, dada in case a "chronological development" question came up.

Section 3 should be covered by preparing a gallery question.

Try to be as flexible as possible when looking at what paintings to cover in the artists under section 2. If the questions relating the the period/artist doesn't suit you, try study paintings that might give you as much freedom as possible under the "a painting of...." style questions.

For example, Picasso's Guernica will obviously suit a question related to cubism, to Picasso or to 20th century art, but can also be a fallback for "a paiting depicting...." war/conflict, people, animals, death, politics, monochrome etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭mikeglee

SCREWED.

HEAR HEAR:confused::confused::( I am dead! I never liked art and don't need it. I was just thinking of writing down really stupid answers and talking about other silly things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

If I did just la tene for section 1 would I be ok? hmmmm
    thinking of doing an impressionst artist, post impressionst artist and leonardo for section 2

how much of a risk is this goys?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

thinking of doing an impressionst artist, post impressionst artist and leonardo for section 2

On our ExamCraft mock La Tene came up and so far they've been suspiciously accurate with their predictions. I'd say do Le Tene and one other Pre Christian thing, but not Newgrange.

And I'm not sure about Section 2, havn't a clue about European Art. :eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 NerdPantzz

Just one topic for the irish section may b a bit dodgey... If it doesnt come up will u be able to answer on anything else at all?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

i have art history tomorrow - got up at 8 to study but i just cant get myself down to study, ive been so good up till now but its like i just dont care anyone else feeling like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

not doing the leaving cert - but feel like that most days...... thats life !!!

especially at the moment.....best thing you can do is just read over some sections - time yourself reading a section (ie. life of expressionists/various art history movements and stuff like that).... then answer some exam papers on it..... actually just do some exam papers - the questions are pretty similar every year.

best of luck with exams

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

same...art is my extra subject, as in outside of school so i have a shit load of work to look over tonight and i dunno if it'll win over biology. the fact that i had french this morning didn't help either, I'm just tired of exams

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭BLARG

I really couldn't be bothered for art either. The paper is just so unapproachable... I could revise loads of stuff tonight which could easily not come up...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Sareail

I have no idea if this was answered or not because I don't have time to read the whole thread, but wtf is the format for the exam?! My class never got exam papers.. I know its european, irish then appreciation but do you just answer 1 question from all of them?? And Does romanesque/gothic come up every year in european?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

no I probably wouldnt be able to answer anything else. I hate the irish section so much, I might just vaguely go over something else but I'm really going to concentrate on section 2 and 3, I think I did enough in my practical for a goodish grade anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭7Steve

I have totally given up on this subject. I'm only going to study La Téne (one stone and 2 metal), 4 paintings from Impressionist artists (2 Manet and 2 Monet), and a tiny bit about Impressionism. Appreciation will be easy, you can bluff your way through that thing, it's all waffle (hopefully).

That's all I can really learn between now and 2pm.

I'm screwed

(Oh, no matter what happens, or what comes up, I'm going to use them pantings for the Thematic Q. I just don't care)

I hope I pass...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

Sareail wrote: »
    I have no idea if this was answered or not because I don't have time to read the whole thread, but wtf is the format for the exam?! My class never got exam papers.. I know its european, irish then appreciation but do you just answer 1 question from all of them?? And Does romanesque/gothic come up every year in european?!

3 sections

1-Irish
    2 - European
    3- appreciation

go to examinations.ie and look at the past ones, bit crazy going into the exam without knowing & timings 50 mins per question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

One of the biggest problems with Art history is not being able to actually see the paintings / work discussed in the book, only the crappy sketches. I only got into art history once I starting using artchive.com as I was able to actually appreciate the paintings. (Have spent a couple of afternoons just looking at all of Dali's work!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭mikeglee

I don't mean to be a kill joy and sound like a waster etc. But I do feel that Art History in secondary is a bit of a joke. In my opinon of course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

I like it, I just think the course is out to get you.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 flerg

For anyone doing higher or lower who is panicking learn the Bronze age (gold jewellery) and Iron Age/ La Tene period, loughnashde trumpet petrie crown broighter collar castlestrange and Turoe stone. And Giotto Di Bondone for higher Impressionism for ordinary......Rem you have 45min per question and include at least 3 drawings in each question too.:)

Anyone know of anywhere online I can find good sample answers for the appreciation section? Or can someone post one up that they did well in? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

flerg wrote: »
    For anyone doing higher or lower who is panicking learn the Bronze age (gold jewellery) and Iron Age/ La Tene period, loughnashde trumpet petrie crown broighter collar castlestrange and Turoe stone. And Giotto Di Bondone for higher Impressionism for ordinary......Rem you have 45min per question and include at least 3 drawings in each question too.:)

Hmm whys that? just cos of predicitions or do you know something?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 flerg

Process of elimination and level of predictability looking at past papers. It's always good to know 2 impressionists and background to the movement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 heeereees-jonny

just realised gothic stained glass has cum up in 2003 and 2006.... due for 2009, i hear u say??? Our teacher kept telling us how likely it was when we were doing it in class.... (we didnt pay any attention to her, of course... bt sure, maybe she wuz on to sumting..?)

Didn't Bronze Age come up last year? Surely it's Iron Age's turn? :D

Didn't Bronze Age come up last year? Surely it's Iron Age's turn? :D

im making that presumption too! dear god, i hope it pays off doh! :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Weekend Warrior

just realised gothic stained glass has cum up in 2003 and 2006.... due for 2009, i hear u say??? Our teacher kept telling us how likely it was when we were doing it in class.... (we didnt pay any attention to her, of course... bt sure, maybe she wuz on to sumting..?)

Jonny, if your username is anything to go by, I think we're in the same art class. :o

Jonny, if your username is anything to go by, I think we're in the same art class. :o

Im intrigued.... Who is this "Weekend Warrior"??? I dont think I know any warriors of the weekend.... who are artists aswell....? lol!

Im intrigued.... Who is this "Weekend Warrior"??? I dont think I know any warriors of the weekend.... who are artists aswell....? lol!

Well, I'm a girl of many talents. ;) I'll PM you now...you really can't guess?!

Well, I'm a girl of many talents. ;) I'll PM you now...you really can't guess?!

lol! hmmmmm... well u cud be dosh garn anyone!! lol! my little own "weekend warrior"...? who cud ya be??

lol! hmmmmm... well u cud be dosh garn anyone!! lol! my little own "weekend warrior"...? who cud ya be??

I mailed you. Wow, I'm an enigma! :p

oh! and i enjoyed that creepy music "Weekend Warrior"... im getting that Twilighty Zone vibe dis evening!

• Advertisement

I mailed you. Wow, I'm an enigma! :p

i mailed u back.... at least i think i did... i started writing and just hit send! it cud be in Azerbaijan by now...!

Advertisement