Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New iPhone 3GS - is that it?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

I'm happy..hopefully the 3GS will sort out the ridiculous start-up time compared to other phones!

You think the iPhone is slow to start up? You've never owned a Blackberry, I take it!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Ta for your reply Captain ;)

I am in another thread and gonna get details of retailer in Belgium to get a factory unlocked version .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

su_dios wrote: »
    I was very disappointed with the whole thing. What happened to all the rumors about the matte back, black bezel and front facing camera? The rumors published online before these events are usually pretty accurate as apple use it to create interest in the events. But there isn't a single change to the appearance.
    Since when are rumours always true, it's a million Apple fanboys getting their hopes up and mistaking Photoshop mockups for the real thing.
    Why would anyone who owns a 3g model be enticed to upgrade?
    Because it's a very good upgrade, more memory, faster CPU, better performance, video recording, better games, voice commands, better camera, better battery, more resistent, built in compass, bluetooth 2.1 instead of 2.0, better accessories...
    The camera again is seriously lacking ( sony ericsson's "idou" touchscreen phone coming out later this year has a 12mp camera, and most touchscreens now have 5mp+).
    A 100 MP camera could take absolute crap shots, it's not about that anymore - its about the lens quality, AF, the sensor, the materials itself. 3 MP will be fine for the new iPhone, Apple know this and you now do too.

Am I misreading the blurb, or are software features (like Voice Commands / Voice Dialling) only available on the 3Gs and not on the standard iPhone 3G?

They've restricted voice commands to the 3GS. I can't understand why. For video recording and the compass you need new hardware, so I can see why they're only on the 3GS, but voice commands just need a microphone.:confused:

cpu-dude wrote: »
    Since when are rumours always true, it's a million Apple fanboys getting their hopes up and mistaking Photoshop mockups for the real thing.Because it's a very good upgrade, more memory, faster CPU, video recording, better games, better camera, more resistent, built in compass, bluetooth 2.1 instead of 2.0, better accessories... A 100 MP camera could take absolute crap shots, it's not about that anymore - its about the lens quality, AF, the sensor, the materials itself. 3 MP will be fine for the new iPhone, Apple know this and you now do too.

That wasn't mentioned much, but they've coated the screen with some sort of grease resistant layer. That's no harm, the 3G tends to get greasy quite easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Victor_M wrote: »

As for the camera complaints, I'm sick of hearing about people complaining over a lack of megapixels, it's a phone, I have yet to see a cameraphone take a photo that compares even remotely to a real Digi camera, it's doesn't matter how many Mp's the CCD can capture if the optics are $hite, I'd prefer a half decent 2/3 Mp camera over a substandard 8mp one.

Anyone ever seen a photo taken on a Tocco? A hand drawn sketch would be a better representation of the image.

QFT. Anyone who knows anything about digital photography knows that cramming more megapixels into a tiny sensor will result in reduced quality. Combine the tiny, tiny sensor with a plastic pinhole lens and, well, you get sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭toushea

mobius42 wrote: »
    They've restricted voice commands to the 3GS. I can't understand why. For video recording and the compass you need new hardware, so I can see why they're only on the 3GS, but voice commands just need a microphone.:confused:

As far as i know this is because the iPhone 3GS also comes with a ipod shuffle style headset with a built in control ,for using vice commands on the haedset , and this requires a new heaphone jack to function. I may be wrong but thats what i think the reasoning was

toushea wrote: »
    As far as i know this is because the iPhone 3GS also comes with a ipod shuffle style headset with a built in control ,for using vice commands on the haedset , and this requires a new heaphone jack to function. I may be wrong but thats what i think the reasoning was
    True but it will most likely be hacked very soon, as well as the video capabilites for the 3G. We know it's not a hardware limitation, Apple are just being greedy.

The video is fairly limited by the hardware. I've used the jailbreak video app on my 3G and the frame rate is appalling. It needs the extra hardware in the 3GS to be useful really.

mobius42 wrote: »
    The video is fairly limited by the hardware. I've used the jailbreak video app on my 3G and the frame rate is appalling. It needs the extra hardware in the 3GS to be useful really.
    That's because the camera isn't the greatest but I've used Cycorder plenty of times, no problems with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭digitaldarragh

I for one cant wait for it to be released here.

The 3GS comes with Voice over, the screen reader with text to speech that has been on the Mac for the last few years. That means that people who cant see the screen now have access to the touch screen interface.

Any idea of what the release date will be over here/ If it's as good as Apple have made it out to be in the blerb, O2 may just have a new customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭toushea

Releasing June 26th , confirmed in the WWDC keynote presentation ,now live on apple.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

No OLED screen either...so Samsung and some of the other Asian manufacturers score a bonus for that

Advertisement