Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New iPhone 3GS - is that it?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Board Senseless

No, it's only $99 with an AT&T ball and chain.

I found it hilarious that MMS and tethering won't be supported at launch by AT&T. They really are the mess I heard they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Corholio wrote: »
    Going to the US very soon, will i be able to get a $99 iPhone 3G on non contract??

No. The $99 price is contract only.

edit. I think he/she got the message. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

You don't need a monthly contract to get an iPhone 3G. There are three models to choose from:

iPhone 3G 8GB - £342.50
    iPhone 3G S 16GB - £440.40
    iPhone 3G S 32GB - £538.30

Dont think I will be getting one so!!

http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/paygo.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

how would 1 go about finding out what European countries will be getting this on pay as you go from june 19th?

want to book my cheap flight as soon as i know..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I've been waiting for this day for a couple of months because I need a 32GB Touch and figured I may as well wait for the new version. No word about it what so ever, though. I presume it will be launched along with the 3GS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 thepostman

Nothing special really happy I went ahead and got the 3G. Not happy though I cant get the bleedin' thing to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

The Tom Tom application announcement is interesting, wonder how much it will be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Blaster99 wrote: »
    I've been waiting for this day for a couple of months because I need a 32GB Touch and figured I may as well wait for the new version. No word about it what so ever, though. I presume it will be launched along with the 3GS.

Touch updates are expected in September. I'd buy one now, cant see any major advances in it, except for perhaps a camera added?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

The 3GS is where the iPhone should have been at launch 2 years ago. All it does is correct the various oversights e.g. mms cut & paste that the original lacked.

3GS doesn't correct either of them, version 3.0 sw that you can put on a 3G phone next week does.

3GS is definitely evolutionary, but it has pretty much everything that was seriously expected to be in it so not sure exactly what people were expecting:confused:

copacetic wrote: »
    3GS doesn't correct either of them, version 3.0 sw that you can put on a 3G phone next week does.

3GS is definitely evolutionary, but it has pretty much everything that was seriously expected to be in it so not sure exactly what people were expecting:confused:

Bit too expensive dont you think copacetic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

I only bought one last month am i screwed if they drop the price::(:( i ****ing new i should off waited dam you steve jobs haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Stee wrote: »
    Touch updates are expected in September. I'd buy one now, cant see any major advances in it, except for perhaps a camera added?

Price mainly. They usually double the storage for the same price. Otherwise I couldn't really give a toss. Maybe the faster CPU would be nice too but I only really use it for music and very occasionally for browsing. I can't wait until September, though.

Bit too expensive dont you think copacetic?

it's the same price as the one it's replacing but you get double the memory at each price point and extra features, so no I think it's better value.
    Possible not worth it to upgrade though.

from my post on the other thread, in the US at least a new contract used to get you a 3G with 16GB for $299, for same
    price you now get a

3GS with HSDPA support, 3MP with autofocus. video recording at 30fps vga.
    Voice control, compass, 32GB capacity, 20% more battery life, and
    (although not clear yet exactly how much) faster uP and more RAM.
    (twice as quick for a lot of tasks)
    Also Inline remote for music control in headphones, new oil and fingerprint resistant
    finish. bluetooth 2.1

Presumably it will be the same here, I mean there is a case that just getting 32GB instead of 16GB for the same price is a major deal for people?

I can certainly see how people might not upgrade, as there could be better to come within the year., but if going for one for the first time its a much better deal/phone for the same price.

it's the same price as the one it's replacing but you get double the memory at each price point and extra features, so no I think it's better value.
    Possible not worth it to upgrade though.

from my post on the other thread, in the US at least a new contract used to get you a 3G with 16GB for $299, for same
    price you now get a

3GS with 3MP with autofocus. video recording at 30fps vga.
    Voice control, compass, 32GB capacity, 20% more battery life, and
    (although not clear yet exactly how much) faster uP and more RAM.
    (twice as quick for a lot of tasks)
    Also Inline remote for music control in headphones, new oil and fingerprint resistant
    finish. bluetooth 2.1

Presumably it will be the same here, I mean there is a case that just getting 32GB instead of 16GB for the same price is a major deal for people?

I can certainly see how people might not upgrade, as there could be better to come within the year., but if going for one for the first time its a much better deal/phone for the same price.

Its $499 of the 32gb one for ineligible upgraders in the states.

Dont get me wrong i really like the look of it and would get one if i could afford one. £540 on o2 uk site as PAYG is just a bit steep imo.

Its $499 of the 32gb one for ineligible upgraders in the states.

Dont get me wrong i really like the look of it and would get one if i could afford one. £540 on o2 uk site as PAYG is just a bit steep imo.

yeah, but thats for people who want to break out of a contract they signed up to with their eyes open. people buying one who aren't tied in to a contract somewhere else get a much better deal.

Not sure how much people expect them to be, any sim free/payg phone with similar features is a similar price.

yeah, but thats for people who want to break out of a contract they signed up to with their eyes open. people buying one who aren't tied in to a contract somewhere else get a much better deal.

Not sure how much people expect them to be, any sim free/payg phone with similar features is a similar price.

Might be because I got the 3G last year unlocked in New Zealand for the rough equivalent of 500e that I think 625e is a bit steep.

Would love the 32gb and my 80gb ipod is on its last legs but it looks like it would be the 16gb i might have to go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭CivilEx

As a current 3G owner I will add my name to the list of those feeling underwhelmed today. Looking forward to the 3.0 software though.

BTW O2 have confirmed that they are continuing to be the only official Irish carrier.

Spotted a mention of AT&T's tethering plans of around $70 per month? It makes this country look positively cheap to own a mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

The 8/16gb iphone is currently 169/229 euro on the iphone 175 plan.
    I take it the price for the 16/32 will be more on the same plan?

I am disappointed in the event because i was expecting something new and exciting. The leaks and rumours built it up so much that it lost the appeal.
    That said i stillthink it is a great piece of kit and i am looking forward to my first iphone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

I'm upgrading from an iPhone 2G so I'm getting the dad to move over from Vodafone onto the iPhone bill and I'll pay for the iPhone itself :)

I'm happy..hopefully the 3GS will sort out the ridiculous start-up time compared to other phones!

I've always wanted a compass on my phone

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

engadget mobile did a nice comparison between the old and the new
    http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/06/08/iphone-3g-vs-iphone-3g-s-the-tale-of-the-tape/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

does anyone know when O2 Ireland will be announcing when they will be releasing the iPhone 3Gs? also the pricing details?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I'm completely disappointed by it. I still have my first gen iPhone, and it's jailbroken - so I already have landscape texting, MMS, and video recording (Not 30fps, but not the worst either). I really wanted this iPhone to look and feel new, I wanted video calling for skype purposes, I wanted Apple to raise the bar completely.

Instead, we get a compass, and a few other poxy minor upgrades. I don't need to change my iPhone until it dies ... and normally I change my phone every year, but the Palm Pre is starting to look very attractive for me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I'm happy..hopefully the 3GS will sort out the ridiculous start-up time compared to other phones!

Why would you bother turning it off in the first place ? Just switch it to aeroplane mode if you need to turn off the network facilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Yes feel a little short changed ,,,may have been all the hype .

I have a question but , can u help ?

I have had the money for this new iphone burning a hole in my boxers drawer for the past 2 months , will i be able to buy one of these new 3gs iphones and get it working on Vodafone with my sim .?

Ta in advance.

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

TinCool wrote: »
    Why would you bother turning it off in the first place ? Just switch it to aeroplane mode if you need to turn off the network facilities.
    It can do with a reboot now and again like any laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

I was very disappointed with the whole thing. What happened to all the rumors about the matte back, black bezel and front facing camera? The rumors published online before these events are usually pretty accurate as apple use it to create interest in the events. But there isn't a single change to the appearance. Why would anyone who owns a 3g model be enticed to upgrade? The camera again is seriously lacking ( sony ericsson's "idou" touchscreen phone coming out later this year has a 12mp camera, and most touchscreens now have 5mp+).

Then to basically rebrand the macbooks as macbook pros is just very confusing having only been launched a few months ago. What are apple playing at?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's possible that they're working on something else for the next release which will be somewhat groundbreaking, but they need to release *something* to keep people interested in the meantime.

I you look at their product lifecycles, the first iPod was released in 2001. The next major version change came with the 4th Gen iPod, the Nano and the Mini in 2004/2005. Then in 2007, you had the Touch, the iPhone and major redesigns of the 6th Gen iPod and 3rd Gen Nano.

I reckon we're looking at a major version jump in the iPhone and Touch at the end of next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Am I misreading the blurb, or are software features (like Voice Commands / Voice Dialling) only available on the 3Gs and not on the standard iPhone 3G?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

su_dios wrote: »
    I was very disappointed with the whole thing. What happened to all the rumors about the matte back, black bezel and front facing camera? The rumors published online before these events are usually pretty accurate as apple use it to create interest in the events. But there isn't a single change to the appearance. Why would anyone who owns a 3g model be enticed to upgrade? The camera again is seriously lacking ( sony ericsson's "idou" touchscreen phone coming out later this year has a 12mp camera, and most touchscreens now have 5mp+).

Then to basically rebrand the macbooks as macbook pros is just very confusing having only been launched a few months ago. What are apple playing at?

Generally speaking Apple don't alter the shape of their Ipods too frequently, which I find allows existing customers hold on to their devices longer without feeling the need to upgrade to the next big thing every 6 months, Apple know that most of their loyal customers are still locked into an 18 month contract, I suspect that they will have the revolutionary next version in time for the existing customers to upgrade( not necessarily when the 18 months runs out, I'm a few months away from my contract expiring and I have no intention of upgrading yet, I'm still very happy with the phone).

As for the camera complaints, I'm sick of hearing about people complaining over a lack of megapixels, it's a phone, I have yet to see a cameraphone take a photo that compares even remotely to a real Digi camera, it's doesn't matter how many Mp's the CCD can capture if the optics are $hite, I'd prefer a half decent 2/3 Mp camera over a substandard 8mp one.

Anyone ever seen a photo taken on a Tocco? A hand drawn sketch would be a better representation of the image.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement