Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New iPhone 3GS - is that it?

Options
  • 08-06-2009 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

Details here.

More here.

I can't help but feel underwhelmed. Not a whole lot of wow factor, more of a catch-up with other phones.

Anyone think the same?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Board Senseless

I'll take a major speed update over the stuff people were speculating about. I've literally thought to myself "I don't need a bunch of new crap just make what's there run faster." This is perfect for me, and it'll be easier to get at launch than the 3G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

It was a refresh to go with 3.0. Good spec now I agree but it's silly that you have to have the 3GS in order to record video - it's not a hardware limitation (Cycorder).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I suppose the Open GL support is something to look forward to - Crysis on the iPhone anyone? :)

Also, wtf is Nike+ and why should I want it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

The 3GS is where the iPhone should have been at launch 2 years ago. All it does is correct the various oversights e.g. mms cut & paste that the original lacked.

I imagine when it comes out you'll be able to see the difference in recording quality. I've used two video recording apps on the 3G and they weren't great. It's either bad quality and instant or decent quality and having to wait for encoding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Very dissappointed, seriously considering the new Palm Pre now.

But maybe there'll be some good deals on the iPhone 3G now!

The 3GS is where the iPhone should have been at launch 2 years ago. All it does is correct the various oversights e.g. mms cut & paste that the original lacked.

Don't get me started again. :)

They weren't oversights, they were design decisions. Remember, MMS wasn't big in the US when the original iPhone was being designed. Neither was 3G, neither were camera phones and so on.

No mention of Google Latitude support, or did I miss it?

redman wrote: »
    Very dissappointed, seriously considering the new Palm Pre now.

You're going to have to wait for a GSM version.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    No mention of Google Latitude support, or did I miss it?

That's coming, don't know if we'll see it next week though!

redman wrote: »
    But maybe there'll be some good deals on the iPhone 3G now!

Conveniently enough, I am out of contract with Meteor next Monday.

If I can get the current iPhone 3G for a decent price, I will be switching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I'm kinda relieved after having just splashed out for a 16gig 3G one a couple of weeks ago. I'd have no real interest in the camera or video. Speed increase would be nice but the 3G is fast compared to what I've moved from (N82).

Looking forward to installing the 3.0 OS though. Looks very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Am somewhat dissapointed.

Was looking for this to really push me into going over to o2 and getting it.

I was also looking at N97 and tbh, apple havent done it with this. :(

In saying all that, as gadgets go, the iphone is cracking.:D

May just go with the $99 3G and 3.0 firmware.;)

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

£342 on the apple uk site for the 8gb iphone 3g. I take it pay and go is the same as PAYG?

Says pay and go prices for the 3gs from o2 are coming soon.

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone?mco=MTE2OTU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭cahirhennessy

Is it just me or was Ireland missing from the list of countries getting the 3gs? Anyway, it doesn't offer anything too revolutionary, so I'll be giving it a miss. The video quality is that of an N95 circa early 2006. Wow.
    Gimme a spotify app and I'll be a happy bunny.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm actually pleased that they haven't produced something so much slicker that it makes my contracted 3G obsolete. But definitely disappointing for those who held off to see what they were going to come up with.

Now let's be having 3.0, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Kahnyl wrote: »
    You're going to have to wait for a GSM version.

Yes, apparently 2 months

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I also find the iPhone underwhelming. It feels like they are just fixing the things that should have been there from the start. 3.0 will fix most of those things for the rest of us.

Does anyone know does the 3Gs allow bluetooth connectivity to other devices such as my Macbook or my handsfree or even my mates bluetooth enabled phones to send them mms ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I'm actually quite happy about it all. Sure there are very little new features but this keeps the price low. I was hoping for a front facing camera but then I reliesed that I'd only use it once or twice like my old 3G Phone. I think I'll take the dive this year and buy one. With a price of less than €300 for a 32GB it's still better than competitors. Some features like video capturing and copy and paste should of being there since the beginning but I really like how they implimemted this features like the video editing. Plus we can look forward to do the hundreds of other feaures 3.0 will bring like Bluetooth headphone support (A2DP?) and Youtube Account support.

Szondi wrote: »
    Does anyone know does the 3Gs allow bluetooth connectivity to other devices such as my Macbook or my handsfree or even my mates bluetooth enabled phones to send them mms ?

I don't think you can send MMS via bluetooth on any phone.

Are you thinking of file sharing, such as pictures/sounds/video via bluetooth?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Also, wtf is Nike+ and why should I want it?
    Nike chip in your runners, keeps track of your running. Available at the moment USB format, but now will link through the phone.
    Dades wrote: »
    But definitely disappointing for those who held off to see what they were going to come up with.!

Yup, I held off. I started off unimpressed with the iphone (circa 3G release) and never really wanted one, until the March 17th 3.0 announcement. I've always loved the UI, but there was things lacking until then, copy and paste, and an improved apps system (purchase in apps, etc..)

Todays announcement wasnt great tbh, everything that was announced that impressed me is available from the 3.0 update. I'll be waiting to see o2's prices on the 8Gb 3G and itll probably be that, although I am tempted by the speed of 3GS. Camera/MMS I have no interest in personally. Although I hope tomtom doesnt rely on the digital compass, and hopefully newer apps wont require too much processing power that leave 3G users lagging behind.

Jesus, f**k apple!! they didnt make this decision any easier for me at all GRR!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭thealltimelow

32gb ger my 16 is full after a year must see about gating a 32gb one then

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I think Latitude is available through Safari now. AFAIK there won't be a special App for it and it won't be implimented with Google Maps

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

Take it we will be looking at 600e + for 32gb on PAYG if we get it sold like that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think they're following the Star Trek curse. All odd-numbered iPhones aren't that great.

Happy enough to hang on till late 2010 now and I'll pick up that year's version :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,842 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Itunes store down for anyone else? podcasts won't update either

Are you thinking of file sharing, such as pictures/sounds/video via bluetooth?

Thats it exactly Tom

Is there another App out there that does it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Take it we will be looking at 600e + for 32gb on PAYG if we get it sold like that at all.

Yeah, knowing o2 itll be doubtful that they'll be kept at 480 and 589.

What are the chances of the 8Gb 3G being available for half price like the states (240) on PAYG?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Going to the US very soon, will i be able to get a $99 iPhone 3G on non contract??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭cahirhennessy

Nope. Contract only.

Advertisement