Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving cert holiday..=)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

ironclaw wrote: »
    Have to agree. But I am a firm believer that one should fund there own holiday. In these times its stupid and utterly selfish to ask your parents. Enjoy it because if things keep up most of us won't be going away for abit.

I'm paying 100% my way, anyone else doing the same?

Agree with you on the self funding part.If your paying your own way then grand.

My summer is fairly lax compare to some.
    1Try do find a job[s?}
    2swim swim swim
    3Probablly going to dingle for a while because of relations there.
    4Reckon I'll give surfing a good whack.-lahinch
    5train up for dublin marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Fad wrote: »
    I'm just looking forward to get the little things in my life back, stuff that was a bit too time consuming this year, reading, cycling and couple of other things.

Spend more time thinking about what I'm spend my summer doing than I do actually studying.

Same as, no more guilt over not studying! Looking forward to catching up on tv that i've missed and getting back doing the amount of sport i was last year (grrr leaving cert) so as to regain the fitness that has gone through the floor!

Then theres Oxegen, probably going to england with the family, weekends away with friends. Probably won't go on hols with friends, oxegen killed our funds :pac:

O and work. Lotza work. Neeeed money! And thankfully i kept on my job :)
    Culchies, aren't they bloody great! Coming to Dublin is a holiday to them.:D

Ah yes, sure we just cant wait to go invade the place. Will be like a whole new world to us poor culchies :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

ironclaw wrote: »
    Have to agree. But I am a firm believer that one should fund there own holiday. In these times its stupid and utterly selfish to ask your parents. Enjoy it because if things keep up most of us won't be going away for abit.

I'm paying 100% my way, anyone else doing the same?

I'm paying for accomadation and spending money, my mum offered to buy my flights so I took her up on it. I wouldn't have asked my parents though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

Due to having a job for the past two summers I have plenty put away, I've paid for my holiday, and I'll be bringing my own spending money.... Santa Ponsa for 10 days, we are leaving the Friday after the results come out. Oxegen should also be pretty good, hopefully it will be as good as last year!

Working on a farm this summer should be great... far better than the icky 'services industry' type jobs I have had to endure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

well horse wrote: »
    No recession with this lot of pampered brats obviously :rolleyes:

Pampered brats? Yeah 'cause holidays are so expensive, and I mean, going in a group makes it even more expensive! OH wait.

Recession does not = everyone is poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭well horse

Piste wrote: »
    I sense bitterness. You haven't a clue about the situations of anyone on this thread so dont go calling them "pampered brats"

Damn right ya sense bitterness. Got an almost perfect leaving cert back when I did it but couldnt afford to go on holidays cause I couldnt hold a job because of studying and because my parents were on the dole.

<SNIP>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭well horse

Claypigeon wrote: »
    Pampered brats? Yeah 'cause holidays are so expensive, and I mean, going in a group makes it even more expensive! OH wait.

Recession does not = everyone is poor.

Obviously middle class with no sense about how the other half lives :rolleyes:

Calling someone a brat for being in better circusmstances to make you feel better eh?

It isn't our fault, today, that your parents were sat on the dole doing nothing back then.

Get over yourself.

. Got an almost perfect leaving cert

Apparently not if you consider yourself "lower class" still.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Going to Barcelona in July and Isle of Man in August with my dad, should be fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Dumbledore

Damn right ya sense bitterness. Got an almost perfect leaving cert back when I did it but couldnt afford to go on holidays cause I couldnt hold a job because of studying and because my parents were on the dole.
    <SNIP>

Can somebody please ban this guy? A total hater, who thinks that just because he was unfortunate enough not to be able to go on holidays, nobody should be allowed to.

<some crap>

That's nice. See you in a fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭GallowsGhost

Going to Scotland around the 20th and then Oxegen in July, nothing else planned

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Claypigeon wrote: »
    Calling someone a brat for being in better circusmstances to make you feel better eh?

It isn't our fault, today, that your parents were sat on the dole doing nothing back then.

Get over yourself.

. Got an almost perfect leaving cert

Apparently not if you consider yourself "lower class" still.

this is the first time im going to have to agree with claypigeon :D

crap, crap and more crap

Do you honestly have nothing better to do than come on to an internet message board and anonymously insult people with your 'back in my days' attitude. It isn't our fault that you couldn't afford a leaving cert holiday, and while it is unfortunate that you could not go, for someone who got ''an almost perfect leaving cert'' you seem devoid of much rational thought.

Would you rather none of us went on holidays? would that make you feel that all is right with the world again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

Fad wrote: »
    I'm not going away anywhere, and I'm kinda glad, I'd just rather not :).

Oxegen and I'm going to Donegal twice.

I'm just looking forward to get the little things in my life back, stuff that was a bit too time consuming this year, reading, cycling and couple of other things.

Spend more time thinking about what I'm spend my summer doing than I do actually studying.

I'm the same - nearly.

Going to Oxegen and donegal for a while with my friends. But really just want to get back to doing things I enjoy.

Going to London for a few days in July (I'll have almost no money - free accomadation though so it's not too bad.) I think my mam is going to Rome and I could go with her. Going to Wexford too at some point.

To be honest I'd love a weekend in Amsterdam. Just to smoke away all the school stuff I had to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

CRETE :D

crete is the gay rape capital of the world, have fun.

Des23 wrote: »
    Do you honestly have nothing better to do than come on to an internet message board and anonymously insult people with your 'back in my days' attitude. It isn't our fault that you couldn't afford a leaving cert holiday, and while it is unfortunate that you could not go, for someone who got ''an almost perfect leaving cert'' you seem devoid of much rational thought.

Would you rather none of us went on holidays? would that make you feel that all is right with the world again?

Quoted for truth! If you did a perfect LC I doubt you'd still be whining on about how poor you are!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I think ye should all stay at home and learn all your Irish set texts by heart. Do you far more good in the long run!! :p :pac:

/rings undertaker to book own funeral

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Sean_Ludawg

Futurism wrote: »
    To be honest I'd love a weekend in Amsterdam. Just to smoke away all the school stuff I had to learn.

I'm off on the 28th :D

..the stuff that dreams are made of. I'd glady sacrifice my leaving cert holiday for a weekend in amsterdam...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Obviously middle class with no sense about how the other half lives :rolleyes:

To side with him/her alot of people I know don't know what a days work is and don't have any value for a €1. Its sad and those kids are in for a shock when the real world comes along.
    Dumbledore wrote: »
    Can somebody please ban this guy? A total hater, who thinks that just because he was unfortunate enough not to be able to go on holidays, nobody should be allowed to.

I think he/she has a point. Alot of kids this year are going away for nothing. Its hard when you earn something and the person next to you is just handed it. I know the feeling but I suppose its best to just ignore it. Move on, what goes around comes around.
    Mr.S wrote: »
    Never made sense to me, i took my 700€ that i could have spent on Crete and bought a week in Spain and 3 music festivals :cool: much better vallue me thinks.

Yeap, those packages are the worst waste of money you can buy. Tour operators see ya coming and boy to they clean up. I'm going away for 3 weeks for a third of what my friends paid for two weeks. And its 5 star, first class all the way. People really should do their homework and find real value out there.

I'm off on the 28th :D

Lucky you :pac:
    des23 wrote:
    ..the stuff that dreams are made of. I'd glady sacrifice my leaving cert holiday for a weekend in amsterdam...

We'll get there some day!
    Why do I have to have such cheap friends? I'd gladly go but no one else will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Dumbledore

Lucky you :pac:

We'll get there some day!
    Why do I have to have such cheap friends? I'd gladly go but no one else will.

I find that hard to believe, including flights, accommodation, food+ alcohol and enough for the Sweet Mary-Jane(its very cheap, I know from experience;)) I reckon you could get a weekend over there for €300. Just convince your friends to start saving and book flights for August or something. It will be worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Only been there twice before - Prodrift event and DTDIRL trackday so far - That should be changing this summer though :)

might join you some day then, would like to do a bit of motorsport photography, mondello is only a half hour drive for me!!

Pm if your interested

Anyway, the post leaving cert holliday to spain ect is so, celtic tiger, like. lol

I'm going to the wesht for a few weekends during the summer, plus the epic cycling trip round mayo is in planning stages ........

And monday week i'll be finished!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Sean_Ludawg

I find that hard to believe, including flights, accommodation, food+ alcohol and enough for the Sweet Mary-Jane(its very cheap, I know from experience;)) I reckon you could get a weekend over there for €300. Just convince your friends to start saving and book flights for August or something. It will be worth it!

Ya I'm getting flights for under €50 return and accommodation for €100 for 3 nights. The accommodation may seem steep but I booked so late I had to take a double bed jacking up the price....
    It is really cheap if you book early!
    This is the place http://www.flyingpig.nl/
    Can't wait!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

No recession with this lot of pampered brats obviously :rolleyes:

I'd say there is a few people who worked themselves for their holidays, etc... in my case I had a 2 month job last year along with working 4 days at Oxegen, came out with the guts of €2,000 for both and thus saved it till now. So take the bitterness elsewhere.;)

Well I was actually looking at flights etc after I made that reply and it looked like it would cost 100 + whatever spending money. But I still doubt that'll be cheap enough to get any of them to go. I reckon I'll just head over on my own if I have to.