Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 voteforlee

the fact its generally unuseable in portrait mode completly turned me off the phone, i have no interest whatsoever in getting it now, not being able to use my phone one handed is inconceivable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

I reckon that in 3/4 years there will be a much wider selection of phones that will predominantly use landscaped compared to portrait. We probably won't be calling them 'phones' though

it just seems impractical as a phone to have to commit two hands to it all the time, i understand the practical impilcations of it in some situatinons but offering the choice is ridiculous. I will enerv buy a phone a caoont use with one hand anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭joedumper

I see that it's gone up for preorder in the states now too.... but for $650 = 455euro !!

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/03/nokia-n900-now-up-for-649-preorder-in-the-us-of-a/

Wonder would it be worth ordering from over there?
    although, you'd probably get stung for customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

I understand what you're saying voteforlee and there will always be phones that will be portrait, and it's far to early to be saying that something won't be developed for this that will allow a user to use the phone in portrait mode as much as they want.

I'm definitely looking forward to the n900, s60 has been holding Nokia back imo, this new OS should change things

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Tbh, the last few months i've been using my 5800 primarily as a music/internet access device. So the n900 is exactly what i've been waiting for, although, i'm wary of being one of the first to buy it. I bought the 5800 fairly early on, and effectively was a beta tester for symbian 5, there are issues still not resolved on the 5800, and that is unacceptable. Meh, i don't know, i'll see what the prices are like in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

i was looking through the internet and found a few things about it.

you can make and receive phone calls in portrait mode and pretty much anything 'phone' related can be done in portrait.

it also says it use the accelerometer for auto rotate. can't imagine they would have that if it didnt do portrait mode. i doubt they would just use it for picutres.

also its now up on expansys for anyone interested.

prices are as follows.

N900 on uk expansys is £499. with 13 for delivery.

comes to around 590 maybe more. also dont forget that is %15

so you will more thank likely get hit with 21% instead bringing it to around 610-630.

Now the irish price is 668.09 including delivery.

still quiet cheaper from expansys uk.

just preordered it there.

also its says expected october 19th

Thor wrote: »
    it also says it use the accelerometer for auto rotate. can't imagine they would have that if it didnt do portrait mode. i doubt they would just use it for picutres.

really? this seems fairly feasible to me to have auto rotate for picture viewing alone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Thanks for that link! Nice long look at it to make me drool a little more.

I wish people doing the vids would go right into the menu(s) of the phone and not just the same ones over and over. Also I would love it if someone did a vid in portrait mode only so we can see how things look on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭onzlo

would love to see the sony ericsson xperia with that os:D

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Ouch! €654.99 on expansys.ie
    I think ill have to convince myself im buying a phone and a linux box in one, help me rationalize this ppl! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭joedumper

I know what you mean... going over 599 has broken a kind of mental barrier for me too :rolleyes:

I'm justifying it so far by saying.... I was thinking of buying a netbook... and need a new phone.... so hey... this is the two in one, in my pocket all the time :)

Also... october 19th :( ... that means i've a month and a half using my old 6630 !

Any thoughs on whether Vodafone will take this up on contract ?

joedumper wrote: »
    I know what you mean... going over 599 has broken a kind of mental barrier for me too :rolleyes:

Funny, thats my limit also! The only reason I'm still thinking I can get it is putting in for €130 worth of expenses in work (lots of driving), this way it helps me to see it as less dosh up front than it is really is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 asyik

Thor wrote: »
    i was looking through the internet and found a few things about it.

you can make and receive phone calls in portrait mode and pretty much anything 'phone' related can be done in portrait.

also its now up on expansys for anyone interested.

prices are as follows.

N900 on uk expansys is £499. with 13 for delivery.

comes to around 590 maybe more. also dont forget that is %15

so you will more thank likely get hit with 21% instead bringing it to around 610-630.

Now the irish price is 668.09 including delivery.

still quiet cheaper from expansys uk.

just preordered it there.

also its says expected october 19th

well pre-ordered it yesterday and got this message this morning from expansys UK
    eXpansys - Declined Order ****-****-****

Monday, September 7, 2009 7:08 AM

"trackorder@expansys.com" <trackorder@expansys.com>
    Add sender to Contacts

To:
    *************@yahoo.com

Your order ****-****-**** has been declined.

If you would like further information why the order has been declined
    please call +44 (0)161 868 0868 or email orderstat@expansys.com.

Thank you for using eXpansys.

eXpansys
    +44 (0)161 868 0868
    mailto:orderstat@expansys.com
    http://www.expansys.com

eXpansys UK Ltd, Rutherford House
    40 Pencroft Way, Manchester Science Park
    MANCHESTER, M15 6SZ, UK

Registered in England and Wales No. 2870061
    VAT Number: GB781498191
    Does anybody know where else can we get it other than expansys IE??

i pre ordered mine with expansys uk

cheaper and you get it faster aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

asyik wrote: »
    well pre-ordered it yesterday and got this message this morning from expansys UK

Does anybody know where else can we get it other than expansys IE??

Why did they decline it? doesn't Expansys UK ship to Ireland?

Anyways let me talk you guys out of buying this phone...

1. It's EXPANSIVE! 600 euro, it's not 599, it's 600, that is a crazy price for a half assed computer, you can buy a decent laptop, camera, something else with that money.

2. For that much money guess what you will be? a guinea pig, a beta tester.

3. The device is half-assed, does not have multitouch or the precious(capacitive screen) you have to do those idiotic finger circles to zoom in and out ffs.

4. It's got an old 5mp camera, wait till 920 comes out with atleast an 8.

5. It's got a physical keyboard, which = THICK! plus that keyboard is useless.

6. Maemo while it's great that it's linux but still there will be some time before the apps are ported over.

7. You have to use it in landscape constantly.

It if was a little more compact, If it had a capacitive with multitouch, if it got rid of the physical qwerty and added an 8 or 12mp camera, I'd be all over it but right now I have a hard time justifying 600 euro for that thing, even though I like that Nokia are going in the right direction with an open system(maemo). Hopefully my wishes come true with N920 though.

1. It's EXPANSIVE! 600 euro, it's not 599, it's 600, that is a crazy price for a half assed computer, you can buy a decent laptop, camera, something else with that money.

Most phones that come out are this price if not more. 600 isnt a bad price for this considering what it can do and remember all phones that are expensive coming out drop in price rapidly.

whats wrong with that. getting to test out all the software as its being made is pretty good. also taken a dap in porting some linux stuff myself will be pretty cool

3. The device is half-assed, does not have multitouch or the precious(capacitive screen) you have to do those idiotic finger circles to zoom in and out ffs.

what do you mean or capacitive touch screen. its my otherstanding that you cant have multitouch unless its capacitive touch screen. lets face it though i would rather use one finger to zoom in the having to use 2. also you can use glover or a stylus on capcitive touch screen and they arent pinpoint(meaning you can't have a small icon to click on. they have to be bigger.

ITS A PHONE. not designed to be a replacment camera no phone should ever be. 5 megapix is fine for me and most people

much prefer physical over using the touch screen. even capacitive on screen keyboards are useless.

6. Maemo while it's great that it's linux but still there will be some time before the apps are ported over.

doubt that very much. apps are already out there for maemo so im guessing there will be enough. also its easier to port apps over to this then any other os so can't see any problems there

n-gage had the same problem. LOVED IT. also everything on the phone side can be done portrait mode. also im sure apps that are installed and ported over will be the same.

It if was a little more compact, If it had a capacitive with multitouch, if it got rid of the physical qwerty and added an 8 or 12mp camera, I'd be all over it but right now I have a hard time justifying 600 euro for that thing, even though I like that Nokia are going in the right direction with an open system(maemo). Hopefully my wishes come true with N920 though.

yeah but thing of the things the 920 wont have that you will want.

all valid points and i understand were you are coming from. i was hurt by the n97 when it came out, but that being said i can't control my impulse to buy this thing. when i get it im going to be like a little kid again. nothing beats the feeling off getting a new gadget and getting to play with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Well Thor, if you love it, and everything suits you, I guess go for it then! :)

Capacitive screen, I've used an iphone and it felt very accurate to me. And since N900 is designed to be used in a landscape mode, zooming in and out with thumbs(multitouch) is much easier.

And I LOVED typing on iphone, really awesome.

As for the camera, well it's their flagship device, I would hope they would put their flagship camera on it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭hairyleprechaun

why the obsession with a capacitive screen?

Is the camera on the iphone not only 3mp?

Anyway, I'm in love with this phone!
    I was in love with the N97 now they bring this out, I wonder what else they have up their sleeve?

I was watching this first impressions video and the youtube videos looked like they were taking a very long time to load, any chance this was his wifi/3g signal?

Hell youtube can be slow as that to load up at home sometimes and I'm on a 7mb line!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I had almost decided to put up with the iPhone's limitations, weighing them up against its overall slickness and the fact that most services are now being adapted for it. Then I saw this baby! The one thing bothering me about the N900 was its thickness. So...

*drumroll for the sad case* I made a little model of it out of paper *pause for jeering* :o

I've decided it's actually a really nice thickness for a device this wide, really easy to hold. I actually find the iPod Touch really difficult to hold: it's too thin for its width and I'm constantly afraid I'm going to drop it. I haven't used an iPhone all that much; it does seem better than the iPod in fairness, but the N900 seems perfectly acceptable to me.

If the battery life really does survive a day of extensive usage like Nokia claims, and someone can get it syncing with OS X then I'm sold. :D

Breezer wrote: »

*drumroll for the sad case* I made a little model of it out of paper *pause for jeering* :o
    Ha! I like it! I had to do the same using cardboard for wife when I wanted a big screen TV.

excellent news.

there will be no crippled os on the n900 if a network pics it up.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/09/nokia-putting-foot-down-on-maemo-wont-allow-carrier-customizat/

that also means that updates will be direct from nokia and we wont have to wait for them if the phone is on a network.

about time nokia did this i say.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Thank feck for that. I wish more companies would do this. Put your settings into the phone, maybe a screensaver or two and then leave it to feck alone.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

That's savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Anyways let me talk you guys out of buying this phone...

I presume you mean expensive? If so, it is all relative. I spent 750 Euro on a turkey of a phone that I sold 10 months later for 250. Go figure.
    CyberGhost wrote: »

Again, it's all relative. What suits you may not suit me, and vice versa.

I am now back on the technology treadmill, holding off purchasing an iPhone 3Gs until this thing is released and I get a feel for what it is really like.

Damn you Nokia for making such an appealing device.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I presume you mean expensive?

Expensive + expansys = Expansive ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

I'm dead excited for this phone but I have a couple of worries I hope someone can help with.

Since it uses Maemo, there aren't going to be many apps for it. Since S60 doesn't even have an official facebook app yet, and from the looks of things the android app store sucks still, what are the chances of maemo getting these things quickly. Surely it will be a couple of years and a few more nokia maemo handsets before apps really get going?

What are the odds that this phone will get picked up by an irish network?

From the video posted above, it doesn't look like the N900 handles youtube well at all, shouldn't we really expect better from a big tablet phone like this?

Advertisement