Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your Tracks - Give Feedback here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Found this on a memory stick.. think it was about 1998 or 99..
    Pair of old Gemini Belt drives and plenty of nudging :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7 adamkeane1

Peatys wrote: »

Found this on a memory stick.. think it was about 1998 or 99..
    Pair of old Gemini Belt drives and plenty of nudging :o

Great mashup man. Did you make this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 adamkeane1

My latest track. Any feedback would be fantastic.

Also, does anyone know of any other Irish producers (preferably Dublin based) making this style of dance music? Would love to collaborate and make a track with someone.

Cheers:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

adamkeane1 wrote: »
    Great mashup man. Did you make this?

Yeah, sounds rougher than i remember!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

https://soundcloud.com/phil-golden/phil-golden-005/s-ATv18

(WIP) - just a rought layout atm. Its for a sample pack competition. 1 entry per user. The rules state 1 entry but I'm not sure if this will be classed as multiple tracks its all the same samples in the same project just processed differently.

1st spot takes 3 sample packs of choice 2nd/3rd 1 pack.

There is a **** tonne wrong with the sound too much compression in places levels not right in others etc. I will fix all that in the next few days just want to get some feedback if it all works for what it is for - Demo song for the samples the company sells. I particularly like the 3 part myself with the f*ck*d up bass part will fixed that asap.

The sub bass at the start needs adjusting for the envelope!

• Advertisement

Will probably go with this one. Anything sticking out? At a mix-down stage now.

https://soundcloud.com/phil-golden/new-loops-challenge-005-mixdown-005/s-qgPLA

Decided to take out a part might have to hand over the project. I'd rather keep the part I took out and make a track out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Will probably go with this one. Anything sticking out? At a mix-down stage now.

https://soundcloud.com/phil-golden/new-loops-challenge-005-mixdown-005/s-qgPLA

Decided to take out a part might have to hand over the project. I'd rather keep the part I took out and make a track out of it.

Only getting around to listening to this now but a sold tech vibe going. I thought the ducking at the end of each bass lop was a bit severe but enjoyed it overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

sryanbruen wrote: »

Not a bad track at all. All the elements work well together. I just think it needs some mastering across the whole track as it sounds a bit thin overall.

• Advertisement

DJ SC wrote: »

There not much there that requires feedback all sound amazing to me. Have you got any concerns yourself?

That siren on city streets is sitting beautifully had to pause the music as I though it was coming from outside!

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭ravendude

^^ really like this one, nice shuffle going on

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DJ SC

cheers for feedback.

got another new one

https://soundcloud.com/pathogendnb/pathogen-ghost-wip

cheers for feedback.

got another new one

https://soundcloud.com/pathogendnb/pathogen-ghost-wip

Nice beat. I'm not completely into trappy sounds, But a couple of things come to mind the wubs need to be a little more up front if you are going for a full on trap vibe, but what I would do not being into trap would push that bass hit/perc thing up in level to make that stand out more comes in about 1.51.

Just had a second listen on a louder volume. Love the energy. Although Slightly more sub on the bass I think. The wubs i'm talking about are at 1.28 + 1.40 ish. Then is it a separate track that, that bass hit/perc thing comes in 1.51 definitely needs more juice.

The Kick, Hats, Claps, Percs and pads are spot on I think!

keep up the good work man really enjoying your tracks! Badass...

Track number 2,
    https://soundcloud.com/user-753162920/finskii

This time going for a more retro, nudisco-ish, bass driven groove. Gets a bit dubby towards the outro, - thinking I might do a dub mix also along those lines

ravendude wrote: »
    Track number 2,

This time going for a more retro, nudisco-ish, bass driven groove. Gets a bit dubby towards the outro, - thinking I might do a dub mix also along those lines

1.23 onwards Bass is way out of time. Really nice elements other than that though. Nice clean sound!

The kicks/claps and Bass could be a bit tighter I think though. From 1.23 You are solo'ing the hats so from there on out that's the click track.

1.23 onwards Bass is way out of time. Really nice elements other than that though. Nice clean sound!

The kicks/claps and Bass could be a bit tighter I think though. From 1.23 You are solo'ing the hats so from there on out that's the click track.

Thanks for that. Those hats in the breakdown actually change up going out of the breakdown to a different pattern. Will have a look, - bass might be better off coming in a bar earlier or something to sync up better, will have a play around.

1.23 onwards Bass is way out of time.
    You are dead right, - its actually out by a quarter! - think i nudged it out by mistake at the last minute :confused: - repaired version on the way

Fixed that timing issue, think I had ear fatigue when finishing up that track or something, should gel a bit better now hopefully!
    Thanks for picking up on it!

Fixed that timing issue, think I had ear fatigue when finishing up that track or something, should gel a bit better now hopefully!
    Thanks for picking up on it!

A lot better alright. There's a couple of things that I feel should be addressed though. Is the bass mono? Is there also panning on the bass?

The track as a whole works nice it is very clean sounding though the groove on the kicks/bass could be tighter I think. There is a point where it is just getting into the track (2.12) and the rhythm just falls apart when there is a mini breakdown (2.16) and you take the bass out in another (2.26 + 2.49) neither should be there imo. From a listening point of view you are just settling for the whole groove then its taken away. I like that reverse beat thing at 3.02, You do it again at 4.26 and it sounds like the the first beat after is off by a beat.

Tighter 4/4 kick I think would do wonders as that is the biggest issue for me. I would probably keep the groove on the clap when the kick is not present but when the kick is present tighten it up some cool track though! There is another kick that comes in at one point just before 2.12 I think that sits very nice.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the pointers, - it's really helping to move things forward for me. Hopefully I'll get to a level in time I can help others along too

I'll look at all these properly when I get home from work.
    A lot better alright. There's a couple of things that I feel should be addressed though. Is the bass mono? Is there also panning on the bass?
    ...not by intention, - Bass is from a Trillian fender instrument, with Cytomic and Puig EQs for some punch, - will check, - there might be some weird setting in Trillian.
    The track as a whole works nice it is very clean sounding though the groove on the kicks/bass could be tighter I think. There is a point where it is just getting into the track (2.12) and the rhythm just falls apart when there is a mini breakdown (2.16) and you take the bass out in another (2.26 + 2.49) neither should be there imo. From a listening point of view you are just settling for the whole groove then its taken away.
    Point taken, - I had my doubts with these as well. They weren't there originally actually, but the Expose tool was flagging arrangement dynamics, - so I added them in a bit against my intuition - just goes to show, best not to be driven too much by a tool. I'll happily pull them out, or make them less obvious at least :)
    I like that reverse beat thing at 3.02, You do it again at 4.26 and it sounds like the the first beat after is off by a beat.
    That was by intention, but maybe it jars a little :)
    Tighter 4/4 kick I think would do wonders as that is the biggest issue for me. I would probably keep the groove on the clap when the kick is not present but when the kick is present tighten it up some cool track though! There is another kick that comes in at one point just before 2.12 I think that sits very nice.
    This one is much harder for a relative noob like myself to "get" to be honest! I'll have a look at 2.12 to see what is different.
    One thing is I don't have one drum bus for all all drums, - kick is separate and all others go to different group/compressor, - so maybe one drum bus to pull/glue it together might help.
    Claps and Snare lag behind the kick a bit to get that laid back feel, - maybe slightly too much though. The bass actually sits slightly ahead of the kick to add a bit of bass drive and let the kick transient come through. Maybe they need to nudged a bit closer.
    There is a lot of swing/groovepool going on generally (Ableton MPC Groove), - Swing/Groove is set high - think close to 70% (MPC neutral is 50%), but is on pretty much everything including the kick, snare and clap, maybe it is too extreme.

There is a lot of swing/groovepool going on generally (Ableton MPC Groove), - Swing/Groove is set high - think close to 70% (MPC neutral is 50%), but is on pretty much everything including the kick, snare and clap, maybe it is too extreme.

I find a groove on a kick does not really do much for me plus you have to remember that a DJ would probably be the one to mix the song so having a DJ friendly beat that can be mixed into a 4 to the floor beat easily is essential.

I tend to only apply groove to hats, bass and synth lines myself. If I do apply groove to a kick though I would only apply it to 1 maybe 2 beats in 4 usually the 3rd beat in one bar and it would only be at most 60-65% or lower to 20-35%. It would be hard for a DJ to beat mix a heavy groove like that if its 50% across the board but try it on everything except the kick/clap see how that sounds yourself. Or back it off in 7% or so increments until it can blend into a click track/metronome.

Tends to be like compression swing. Do it too much so it sounds obvious but back it off till its not noticeable to compare with the before and settle for something in between and it is hard to nail what's making it do that. I don't tend to do too much compression anymore but swing and groove have to be fitting to the feels. The groove you have is good but just that lagginess on the 4/4 is not as subtle as it could be. When the kick is not there by all means have full swing when the clap is solo'd.

I find a groove on a kick does not really do much for me plus you have to remember that a DJ would probably be the one to mix the song so having a DJ friendly beat that can be mixed into a 4 to the floor beat easily is essential.

I tend to only apply groove to hats, bass and synth lines myself. If I do apply groove to a kick though I would only apply it to 1 maybe 2 beats in 4 usually the 3rd beat in one bar and it would only be at most 60-65% or lower to 20-35%. It would be hard for a DJ to beat mix a heavy groove like that if its 50% across the board but try it on everything except the kick/clap see how that sounds yourself. Or back it off in 7% or so increments until it can blend into a click track/metronome.

Tends to be like compression swing. Do it too much so it sounds obvious but back it off till its not noticeable to compare with the before and settle for something in between and it is hard to nail what's making it do that. I don't tend to do too much compression anymore but swing and groove have to be fitting to the feels. The groove you have is good but just that lagginess on the 4/4 is not as subtle as it could be. When the kick is not there by all means have full swing when the clap is solo'd.

Thanks, - makes total sense, - I should have thought of that, that it will only make for sloppy dj beatmatching. - I'll pull it off the kick/snare/claps and see how it sounds, and maybe tone it back a little generally to make it a bit more subtle.

OK, I found out what is wrong. I froze the snare track and adjusted the groove settings without unfreezing etc. - so the groove is out of whack for various clips, - some actually have none, some have inconsistent groove settings, - so its basically all over the place from adjusting and freezing at different times etc..

Removing the groove completely from the Kick definitely makes the track suffer IMO, - I think it will be a lot better after I make the groove/swing consistent, but tone it down

Fair play, - you have some ear! - while I could kinda tell something was amiss it wasn't obvious that it was a swing/groove problem

EDIT: I take that back about holding back on the groove on kicks/snare/claps, - seems to underpin the other elements nicely now they are all getting sorted

Tightened up the groove a fair bit, - some clap sections, and even a couple of elements weren't actually set to the groove (or worse, a different one)at all so I think this was a lot of the problem, that and the too much on the groove amount. Everything should be sitting to the same groove now at least

I removed the mini-breakdowns also and mad a few more small tweaks, - def better keeping it going. Hopefully this one is sounding a bit better.

https://soundcloud.com/user-753162920/finski-with-mixdown

Much better alrigh... The toms are sitting very tightly in the mix pretty cool track.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DJ SC

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭NS77

Atmospheric techno track :pac:

https://soundcloud.com/ross_fitz/solstice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Haven't posted anything here in a long time. First track I've completed in a couple of years.

Listen to Heartbreak in the 90's by Moorster #np on #SoundCloud
    https://soundcloud.com/moorster/heartbreak-in-the-90s

• Advertisement

NS77 wrote: »
    Atmospheric techno track :pac:

https://soundcloud.com/ross_fitz/solstice

Love that sound. Although I would probably give that bass some sidechain for the kick just seems a tad muddied sharing the same frequencies in the low. I would also bring the kick in a little earlier personally about 1.32 seems appropriate for the length. Overall really chilled track!
    Haven't posted anything here in a long time. First track I've completed in a couple of years.

Listen to Heartbreak in the 90's by Moorster #np on #SoundCloud
    https://soundcloud.com/moorster/heartbreak-in-the-90s

That's a whopper too not much I can say about it other than great job...

Advertisement