Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology HL/OL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭GVNDNN

Osmosis is usually part of a question every year in some shape or form :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

cool i dont really no though im not doing OL so dont take my word for anything OL related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Im hoping for the A too.. Hoping! Id love if the osmosis experiment came up! Ps. Know ecology, genetics, photo/respiration, plants and human repro and your sorted.

Im hoping for the A too.. Hoping! Id love if the osmosis experiment came up! Ps. Know ecology, genetics, photo/respiration, plants and human repro and your sorted.

throw the heart exp in there just for safety id say

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

I only want a pass though, I'd be very happy with a D3. It's a tough course, I wish I'd researched it more before I chose it.

• Advertisement

I only want a pass though, I'd be very happy with a D3. It's a tough course, I wish I'd researched it more before I chose it.

it is a long old course alright i fell how you fell except its for chemistry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

Anyone apart from Homicidal_Jesus have predictions on the OL paper, I've never paid attention in Biology, spent most of the time asleep or being thrown out, all I need is a D3 to be happy. Any Help?

Are there any particular experiments predicted for OL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

I only got a C3 in the Mock but I didn't do a tap for it so I'm aiming for a high C or a B this time around, I'd say it's entirely manageable, some very good predictions going around that seem to agree with each other leaving very little room for error and a good basis for study the evening prior.

I know someone who listened to Countdown to 306 last year and the Biology podcast. He studied everything they tipped off the night before and got a B2. Never did anything else before that or even put a pen to paper in his expt copy.

Claypigeon wrote: »
    I know someone who listened to Countdown to 306 last year and the Biology podcast. He studied everything they tipped off the night before and got a B2. Never did anything else before that or even put a pen to paper in his expt copy.

Seriously?! Did they give out any biology predictions on Countdown to 306 this year?

• Advertisement

Seriously?! Did they give out any biology predictions on Countdown to 306 this year?

I ****teth thee not. He's a bright guy though, so if you're the type of person that has to study all year round to succeed it won't work for you, it isn't a magical thing. I'm pretty good at just instantly picking things up so I'm planning to do it all the night before (not cram, just revise briefly each tipped-off topic).

There were predictions yes and there are many floating around in this thread and others.

-Evolution
    -Dna-Protein Synthesis
    -Genetics
    -Genetic engineering
    -Immobilisation
    -Photosynthesis/Respiration
    -Heart/vessels/lymphatic system
    -Human reproduction

quoting this from earlier in the thread - seems to be a good balanced list; only additions I'd make are osmosis experiments and a rounded knowledge of the heart itself to cover yourself for a heart expt!

-Evolution
    -Dna-Protein Synthesis
    -Genetics
    -Genetic engineering
    -Immobilisation
    -Photosynthesis/Respiration
    -Heart/vessels/lymphatic system
    -Human reproduction

quoting this from earlier in the thread - seems to be a good balanced list; only additions I'd make are osmosis experiments and a rounded knowledge of the heart itself to cover yourself for a heart expt!

ya knowing those well and id say your looking at least a C1 if the paper goes nicely and those all come up you may get an A:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nellie12

would this be hard...im in my 20's work full time im hoping to study nursing in a couple of years but to prepare me i was thinkin of going back to do my leaving cert biology...advise

no the new course is very manageable if you have an interest in the subject you will be fine id advise learning it through revision books as text book have a lot of stuff you dont need to know and considering your working too it would be best as you dont want to spend your time learning things you dont need to know!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Tractorgal xx

I only got a C3 in the Mock but I didn't do a tap for it so I'm aiming for a high C or a B this time around, I'd say it's entirely manageable, some very good predictions going around that seem to agree with each other leaving very little room for error and a good basis for study the evening prior.

im repeating this year i got a B1 last year and i did nothing all year(hense repeat)..but i listened to 2fm the nyt before biology and all the tips came up on the paper.. i wud recommend it now!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

OSMOSIS EXPIREMENT!

hasn't been up yet. also male reproductive organs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Twilighter

Listen to it on wednesday night, they'll have mostly predictions and stuff then but they have podcasts on the 2fm website with exam prep and tips on length per question and stuff!

The heart hasn't been up since the first paper in 2004. Highly tipped!

nellie12 wrote: »
    would this be hard...im in my 20's work full time im hoping to study nursing in a couple of years but to prepare me i was thinkin of going back to do my leaving cert biology...advise

Sorry for late reply, been doing exams and not checked older threads.

If you're above 23 I think it is you may want to look into mature applicant courses and following up on Biology via night courses and maybe even grinds to get you refreshed in the subject as it is of course central. The requirements are quite "slack" in comparison with under-graduate course requirements so it's a good option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Dub_girl_101

Does anyone know what to study for this exam? I'm absolutely genuinely completely and utterly F*CKED =[

Any hints at all at all given by your teachers?? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ThatWouldBeNice

Does anyone know what to study for this exam? I'm absolutely genuinely completely and utterly F*CKED =[

Any hints at all at all given by your teachers?? :)

There's already a thread on it where people have posted their predictions (look down). ;) Evolution, heart dissection, dicot stem experiment are tipped to come up. Not too sure. Best to make sure you know Unit 1 and Unit 2 well, and maybe learn just bits of Unit 3 (sex, plants etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Photosynthesis
    Respiration
    Human Reproduction
    Ecology
    Osmosis experiment
    Food

When describing experiments there is always a mark for safety procedure even when it is not specifically asked in the question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

i ****ed for bio i dont understand it

its my own fault i dont study i made me my bed!!!

i hate biooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

arg!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

pathway33 wrote: »
    When describing experiments there is always a mark for safety procedure even when it is not specifically asked in the question

i didnt know that!thank you very much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭batbaby

really need to well in Biology, just screwed up Irish... =S

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

i didnt know that!thank you very much!

yeah i didn't know either until i heard the guy on countdown 306 mention it. I wonder what else there are marks for that you aren't asked. We ain't mind readers

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭smndly

OSMOSIS EXPIREMENT!

hasn't been up yet. also male reproductive organs

Osmosis exp came up last year Q14 C (iv)

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

smndly wrote: »
    Osmosis exp came up last year Q14 C (iv)
    yep it did

pathway33 wrote: »
    yeah i didn't know either until i heard the guy on countdown 306 mention it. I wonder what else there are marks for that you aren't asked. We ain't mind readers

yep it does help when the tell us what there looking for!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭siobhan08

What time does this countdwn to 360 b on at on 2fm?

Advertisement