Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your predictions for the June 8th announcement?

Options
  • 03-06-2009 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

So, what do you reckon Apple will announce next week?

Just the 3.0 version of the operating system?

New phone(s)? New iPod Touch models?

I reckon there will be a new model of iPhone, that will be slimmer and have better battery life, plus a camera upgrade. Nothing massive, I would imagine, probably only around the 3.2 Megapixel mark. New gimmicks and features in the 3.0 software too, I believe some are as yet unannounced.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Reckon there is defo many more features in 3.0 that will be new generation iPhone only (they still need new features to sell new hardware).
    I think the compass if an example of a new hardware specific feature that was spotted in 3.0.

3.2 with auto-focus etc. (flash maybe?)
    Front camera (spotted in some new bezel photo)
    Better battery (hopefully)

Will be big disappointment if they don't announce new hardware on Monday next. There is a lot of talk of 3 new iPhones (cheap version, 16gb, and 32gb)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

They'll start with the usual "State of the Mac" stuff and another John Hodgman ad.

Then, I think they'll introduce the 3.0 software with some features not previously revealed (e.g. app sharing or movie downloads). They could also have some company demo an app they made using the new iPhone SDK, maybe Nike+iPhone.

Then the new iPhone. Video, bigger storage, 3.2 MP camera with auto-focus, better specs, looks pretty much the same externally. Maybe call Steve Jobs with it. Probably a joke about the Palm Pre somewhere in there.

Snow Leopard. Show off features and give beta build to developers. Leaked to Bittorrent within 24 hours.

iPhone 3.0 released after the keynote. New iPhone released in a few weeks.

One more thing... Apple TV update?

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

not sure if this is crap but here goes iphone4gkopf.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭vinnycoyne

I'm pretty sure that's a render, but if that's what the final product looks like I am definitely buying one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

that definitely looks like a render but it is lovely looking.

i'd say mobius42 has it fairly spot on there, fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Rafloution wrote: »

That looks great, although the button is too exposed and would be constantly activated.

I wouldn't expect the next gen iPod Touch till at least September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

I think 3.0 will launch in July with the new hardware (a la 2.0).
    New features for the new hardware will be Video, iChat (with front facing camera), Improved Camera and the Compass. Movie & TV shows over wifi.

I would love an app store for Apple TV but they would need some form off new control!

Snow Leopard release date is a cert!

Anyone know if O2 will allow people to upgrade from the 3G model (still in contract) to the new model?

That render is cool looking!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I see O2 Ireland have no more 3G iPhones in stock, a very good sign.
    Remember that WWDC is a devlepors conference so don't expect anything more than a new iPhone, along with software anouncements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Dman001 wrote: »
    I see O2 Ireland have no more 3G iPhones in stock, a very good sign..

Not true..its only 8gb they are out of stock on, they have both the black and white version available in 16gb.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Not true..its only 8gb they are out of stock on, they have both the black and white version available in 16gb.

The white 16GB were out for weeks, but they are back now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Did o2 pull the 2G iphone as soon as the 3G was announced? I know you'd have to be fairly stupid not to wait on the 3G model, as it was much cheaper and improvements were huge, but if the rumours of improved capacity and camera are true, I'd be happy with the current 8Gb 3G model.

I've no interest in using the phone as a camera, and only have about 6Gb of music. I don't wanna pick one up now in case there's some major surprises next week, but would like the option on Monday to see what the crack is, and if not overly sold on the new model (will probably have to wait a few months for stock anyways), do you reckon I'll still be able to pick up the current model from o2? The only thing I'm thinking is, if it has more ram and processing speed, will apps evolve to match this, and end up being sluggish on old iphone models?

Oh and on thread topic... I hope apple pull something very cool out of the bag that no one expected at all. I think they've got the hardware form pretty perfect, and so hope there are some hidden gems in 3.0.

The 2G was pulled once they announced the 3G. I'm surprised they didn't just drop the price and sell them. A lot of people don't care about 3G or GPS.
    I do think they'll have a surprise up their sleeves, especially since it's so close to the release of the Palm Pre.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

it's looking like more memory 32GB at least, twice the uP speed, better camera, video calling and recording, fm radio, slimmer handset with tweaked design so it's not so slippy.

all in all I know I'm going to be really pissed off that I can't change to it asap as will be stuck with the current 3G unless O2 do an offer which seems unlikely.

Well, you could buy it unsubsidised when it comes out. You'll be looking at €400 to €500 though, I'd say.

mobius42 wrote: »
    Well, you could buy it unsubsidised when it comes out. You'll be looking at €400 to €500 though, I'd say.

getting hold of one would be practically impossible though?

O2 claim they've learned their lesson from the 3G launch and that there won't be the stock shortages that there were the last time. We'll have to wait and see, I guess.

O2 claim they've learned their lesson from the 3G launch and that there won't be the stock shortages that there were the last time. We'll have to wait and see, I guess.

I'd really like to believe that. Funny how last year there was nothing at all, then a few, then a recall on those few, then nothing for ages, and then, right in time for christmas, plenty available for bill and pay as you go.

Do o2 really know anything about the new iphone though? Surely if apple informed operators of a new iphone more info would have leaked by now through mobile network employees? Unless they've just been told we're revising it, and that there will be sufficient stock levels to send worldwide... Hmmmm..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I expect they will have a launch date 3.0 and annouce the new iPhone. The pic above is a fake for sure.

Snow Leopard will probably be launched and Id say an update to the iPod touch too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Stee wrote: »
    Do o2 really know anything about the new iphone though? Surely if apple informed operators of a new iphone more info would have leaked by now through mobile network employees? Unless they've just been told we're revising it, and that there will be sufficient stock levels to send worldwide... Hmmmm..

I usually read the Apple forum on Digg and this is the best that has been spotted about it.

http://gizmodo.com/5273348/first-iphone-3g-2009-screens-look-very-real-to-me

www.macrumors.com has some interesting stuff too

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

There definitely won't be any iPod Touch updates until September 9th at the earliest. That's when the Back to School promotion ends which Apple uses to get rid of old stock.

I'm really tempted to get one of the new iPhones. But only if it's pre-pay. Will O2 make it immediately available on PAYG though? I couldn't be bothered waiting or f**king around on Ebay for one.

I'm really hoping for Macbook updates too. It's highly unlikely at the actual event but maybe they'll get a quite update on the Applestore that morning.

I don't think thats what they have said at all, they said they won't be taken pre-orders as it was a disaster. They have no direct control over stock levels. They certainly won't be available except on contract for a number of months imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Just reading a rumour on Mac Romours about a 4Gb model selling for $99 - designed to fend off the Palm Pre which was launched this week.

I just had a read over this again: http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=3666

The head of O2 Customer Care:
    Stock was a real challenge for us and I can promise you that we learnt alot in the launch of the iPhone. If we're in that situation again I am sure that the whole experience for new and existing customers will be better for all involved.
    It seems you're right about the stock, copacetic. I wonder how they'll deal with the situation if it happens again.

I was hoping you were going to say that they learnt their lesson and give us better tariffs next time round (I can dream this will happen).

Anyway, I think Apple need to release a cheap iPhone aimed at the PAYG market. If they did release a 4GB iPhone for €99 on PAYG everyone would go mad for it, even if the specs weren't great (Edge, no GPS, etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭matchthis

Rafloution wrote: »
    Earphones are really old and the home key is not circle. It's just not cricket! Fecken nice though. From the body of it, looks like a 1st gen touch that has been modded

I would love a big screen iPhone like that.

Dman001 wrote: »
    I was hoping you were going to say that they learnt their lesson and give us better tariffs next time round (I can dream this will happen).

Anyway, I think Apple need to release a cheap iPhone aimed at the PAYG market. If they did release a 4GB iPhone for €99 on PAYG everyone would go mad for it, even if the specs weren't great (Edge, no GPS, etc.)

O2 have no incentive to reduce their tariffs. They have sold a lot of iPhones at the current tariff levels and those unwilling to sign up to billpay can just buy it on PAYG.

I agree on the cheap iPhone idea. Most people on PAYG don't use mobile Internet and so 3G and GPS don't matter to them. I doubt it'd be as cheap as €99 without some form of carrier subsidy though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Rumour mill is really cranking up now. The analysts reckon its nailed on there will be a smaller version, and that Apple won't retain the exclusibve agreements they have in Europe. One can only hope.

• Advertisement

Where did you hear the bit about not retaining the exclusivity contracts?

Advertisement