Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the most obscure food thing I can BBQ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Banans, wrapped in tinfoil!!!............. sweet as

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Just found the photo: (click to enlarge - it's huge)

1nq5yozimwjr2tiacifk_thumb.jpg
    Sausages look yummy Are they Kearns?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Banans, wrapped in tinfoil!!!............. sweet as
    A classic tradition in my house.

Slice the banana skin lengthways and put in a line of chocolate buttons. Wrap it up in tinfoil and place in the dying embers of the barbie for 5 minutes.

Take it out, open it and put a line of spray cream down it.

They were known as Metal Willies during my childhood. They are still called that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

A whole suckling pig. Got one for a mate who's mad about barbequeing for Christmas.

I remember being in the queue behind all these auld dears picking up their turkeys and geese. Butcher comes up to me and asks me what I want
    "I'm here to pig up a whole pig please"

Got a lot of odd looks walking out of the place with the piggywig's trotters sticking out of a black sack.

Tastes fantastic but you need a pretty big bbq.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭trout

Robbo wrote: »
    A classic tradition in my house.

Slice the banana skin lengthways and put in a line of chocolate buttons. Wrap it up in tinfoil and place in the dying embers of the barbie for 5 minutes.

Take it out, open it and put a line of spray cream down it.

They were known as Metal Willies during my childhood. They are still called that.

I made several of these at Tom Dunnes a BBQ some time ago ... most of the assembled were aghast, until they tasted that sweet, gooey goodness. Oh yeah!

We didn't have spray cream - my recipe calls for a mix of dark and white chocolate.

Metal willies ... hehehe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

There will be no veggies at my BBQ! By order of management.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Sausages look yummy Are they Kearns?

Nope, Clonakilty. As were the black/white puddings.
    ryoishin wrote: »
    There will be no veggies at my BBQ! By order of management.

Sometimes you just can't help it - you have to invite them. Just do them up some rabbit food and they will be fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I'm a big fan of crab claws.
    Get the biggest ones you can find and lash them on the bbq whole.
    They take about 15 minutes and then you simply crack them open with the back of a heavy knife or a nutcracker.If you buy them in somewhere like wrights of howth they're really cheap too.
    Pigeon breats are also something i have bbqd..they can be hard to find though so ideally you'd need to shoot them or know somebody who does.
    Wrap the breast portions in bacon and lightly cook them for about 5 minutes,turning frequently.
    If you have deep pockets you could try bbqing scallops,they need to be absolutley fresh though and you'll barely get a mouthfull for a fiver!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Degsy is fairly obscure,

i reckon the most obscure thing you could BBQ would in fact be Degsy, wrapped in tinfoil and covered in chocolate buttons...

/thread

Id have Degsy at it, he has kept me entertained with his hatred of cafe en saine and dandolines.

• Advertisement

ryoishin wrote: »
    Id have Degsy at it, he has kept me entertained with his hatred of cafe en saine and dandolines.

Well tell me where theres a barby and i'll be there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Degsy wrote: »
    Well tell me where theres a barby and i'll be there!

You do know that barby is not just a hot blond :eek:.

It can also be the way you feel the day after a BBQ.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=babalas

P.C. wrote: »
    You do know that barby is not just a hot blond :eek:.

It can also be the way you feel the day after a BBQ.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=babalas

Listen,i had a bbq two weeks ago and it took me nearly a week to recover.
    Three day sessions FTW..hardcore!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i love pineapple and plantan

• Registered Users Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭trout

i love pineapple and plantan

what part of the cow are they from :confused:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

the testicles:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

We had a loverly BBQ yesterday.

Some sheep, some cow, some pig, and some roosterbrood to go with it :D.

Oh, and lots of beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 ms flywheel

Whats the most obscure food thing you can BBQ?

Well, it isn't really obscure but I have never heard of someone putting a cucumber on a BBQ or a carrot for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

Hardly obscure, but barbecued aubergines are delicious...

That chicken in beer (or rather, vice versa) idea sounds great, definitely want to try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,974 ✭✭✭DenMan

Lambs liver. My Dad eats it as he fry's it on the pan. I'd imagine you could do it on a bbq. I wouldn't personally. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Get a large square of tinfoil. Overlap rashers on it. Put a layer of thinly sliced potatoes and then mushrooms over this. Finally place some mince meat mixed with onion, spice etc in the middle of this. Fold the rashers with the potatoes and mushroom over the mince and wrap in the tinfoil.

Cook on the barbeque, or even better a wood fire at a high heat for about 25 minutes. On the barbeque you could take it out and then give it a bit of a finish on the barbeque for more flava. The rashers will have fused together to form a delish meat wrap. The mince should look a bit pink, but this'll be because of rashers.

Any who went to scouts can testify to the greatness of the cowboy meal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,025 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

trout wrote: »
    what part of the cow are they from :confused:
    the testicles:)

ORLY, testicles on a cow? Interesting grasp of bovine anatomy there!! :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Ostrich or seal.

Someone tried that already. He was a bit pissed off with the marks it left.

arjanwrites_seal2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

DenMan wrote: »
    Lambs liver. My Dad eats it as he fry's it on the pan. I'd imagine you could do it on a bbq. I wouldn't personally. :eek:

Oh that would be delicious but you would want to season it first, salt, black pepper, Cayenne pepper and flour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 chopley

Pizza. No one expects pizza at a BBQ let alone on the BBQ, but it's dead easy and always goes down well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,025 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

chopley wrote: »
    Pizza. No one expects pizza at a BBQ let alone on the BBQ, but it's dead easy and always goes down well.

You could BBQ the spanish Inquisition - No-one expects the Spanish Inquisition.

"Goes down well" between the spaces on the grill??

I did the crab claw thing, but was both wasted and full of food at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 chopley

Degsy wrote: »
    "Goes down well" between the spaces on the grill??

Only if you make really tiny eenymeeny pizzas. :p

• Advertisement

Only if you make really tiny eenymeeny pizzas. :p

Pizzas arent made for cooking on the bbq..seriously..how do you flip them without leavingthe topping stuck to the grill??
    BBQ is for meat and fish or maybe kebabs if you're one of those vegetarian people in search of attention.

Advertisement