Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Park today...huge fight..what a dodgy place

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

that's from
    Sunday February 02 2003

yeah right... how deep were you digging to find sth negative about Cork?

Hang around Mayfield or the Glen and you won't see much difference between there and Southhill, imo.

Would be hilarious if you'd moved to Cork, no doubt any crime in Cork is caused by people from Limerick on day trips....

Mad how people seem to think Thomondgate and Ballynanty are dangerous though. They're fine for the most part.

I'll give you the island field and Southill though, seriously like another world for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

::

I must be ancient.Have very fond memories of The Peoples Park;Boherbuoy band playing,sunshine,flowers,a waterfount,reading paper,transistor for the match,generally lazing about in peace while children played and there was a Park Keeper ,on watch.But I am long out of Limerick,and from the posts I guess it has spawned many no go areas.Sad

Lets not forgot An Emotional Fish and co. in the Lark in the Park

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

amazo, of course... *yawn*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭irishleedsfan

RonMexico wrote: »
    Thomondgate is far from ok day or night.
    and what is exactly wrong with Thomondgate? Are all the nasty men wearing tracksuits and spitting??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

and what is exactly wrong with Thomondgate? Are all the nasty men wearing tracksuits and spitting??

To be honest nothing is wrong with Thomondgate apart from the fact that a small minority seem intent on giving the place a bad name. If you are from the area then you should know what is going on without me going into it here. The usual scumbaggery antics. The majority of people living there are grand though.

If the place had no problems they wouldn't have needed to put CCTV all over the place would they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

How do you know it was refugees in the park?

Thinly veiled racism, IMO.

Thats not anywhere near racist, Limerick has plenty of refugees/gypsies on its streets, theres a family of them that use a laneway near where I live to change their clothes and switch crutches between the ones who are going out begging while pretending to be disabled, although I'm sure they all work steady jobs and pay taxes, the begging is just for kicks:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I was there the day of the fight.
    I was on lunch and I must say I was actually very proud of Limerick (which is a change) because of the park.
    There were people playing rugby and badminton, people sitting chatting and sunbathing. There was kids playing in the playground and there were alot of office workers having lunch on the grass aswell as most of Julie Kilmartins.

Looked really good and had a great city atmosphere there.

Shame to hear about the events later that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Having lived and worked in both cities, i would take Cork over Limerick any day. Limerick is just over-run with scumbags, especially the city centre, the lack of a feel-good factor in the city also takes from it, as does the sparsecity of tourists. Cork just has a better vibe and appears to have more going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

grenache wrote: »
    Having lived and worked in both cities, i would take Cork over Limerick any day. Limerick is just over-run with scumbags, especially the city centre, the lack of a feel-good factor in the city also takes from it, as does the sparsecity of tourists. Cork just has a better vibe and appears to have more going for it.

Ah but you have some problems also.

The accent, the traffic, a river keep falling into and especially problematic are the people from the small villages in West west west Cork. They are just strange and reclusive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

a bit of a punch up at a football game!!

nothing new about that, happens most weekends

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

it was just one group of them playing soccer and another group sitting to the side.Then there was alot raised voices and shouting and the 2 groups squared up to each other then the pushing and fighting started.some other groups sitting by ran over to the fight aswell and it was all lads of african and middle eastern appearance fighting against each other.And if im called racist work away im saying what i saw there is a very high chance their all refugee's i dont have all day tp spent in the park i was in there for ,the majority of aficans in limerick are refugee/seeking to live here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

snowman707 wrote: »
    a bit of a punch up at a football game!!

nothing new about that, happens most weekends

But these guys weren't white, don't you see how dangerous that makes it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Sound like good sport to me. Was there a book opened perchance? It always makes things more exciting when there is a book. Something to cheer for no?

well would you hope for respect for your country?one group was dark the other were just light skinned more or less white.Not like refugees are black,plenty of white con men there aswell like turkey.albania,romania,serbs etc just walk past any of the centres you'll see plenty of colours.Its not a colour thing i just dont like frauds and scum coming into this country when it could be stopped
    Any way the park is a hang out for irish and non national scum in the hot weather so i wont be back unless im with people not alone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

sioda wrote: »

Caherdavin I mean come on except for the old cratloe road which is a tiny part of it its grand

Curious as to what part of the old cratloe road you are referring to here. Is it the end near woodview or Near Glenmore? Plenty of scumbags in and around the Spar shop, seeing as its the main egress point for Moyross at that side of the city.
    I drive through caherdavin pretty much everyday and have always found this small area to be the worst. In fairness, the garda presence has increased around there in the past number of months,with plenty of foot patrols in place. Unfortunately, it cant be covered 24 hours a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭lallychops

I'm telling you, Caherdavin is dodgy at night. Moyross scum usually inhabit the place at night.

Also, I'm not actually talking specifically about the Train Station I'm talking about the the are surrounding it as well.

that is not very nice have you taken into account the people in moyross who are not scum? u have just labled an entire community as scum. im sure there are nice normal people who live in that area but they are just recieving abuse for the people who actually cause the trouble.im pretty sure you would be offended if someone labeled the people where u live as scum . think before condemning people like that please as i said its not nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

lallychops wrote: »
    that is not very nice have you taken into account the people in moyross who are not scum? u have just labled an entire community as scum. im sure there are nice normal people who live in that area but they are just recieving abuse for the people who actually cause the trouble.im pretty sure you would be offended if someone labeled the people where u live as scum . think before condemning people like that please as i said its not nice.
    Ya your right, only 95% of the population are scum in fairness.

Its just unfortunate that moyross has a higher level of crime than other areas but its an older area.Shur i live in Raheen and in the last 2 or 3 years we are getting our own scumbag culture out here,it might just young lads now but they grow up and the youn ger ones again follow them.The last 3 days in raheen you should see the amount of scobes going round with cans in raheen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

The park you say...hmmm...I'm going to add that to the list of dodgy places in Limerick along with

Thomand
    Ballynanty
    Caherdavin (after dark)
    The City Centre (after dark)
    The Train Station (at all times of the day)
    Moyross
    South Hill
    The Island Field
    St. Mary's Park
    O'Malley Park
    Weston
    Castletroy (after dark)
    Garryowen

and now...

The Park (newly added to list)

thomAnd is actually thomond which personally is not that bad at all!
    the island is actually the island field and st marys park!
    and o'malley park is in southill so half of those places are the same thing! and personally castletroy is probably one of the safest places now that all the students are gone home..caherdavin..at night is not too dangerous at all, unless your not from the city and are just intimidated by the way they dress or their accent! :o

also prospect tends to be quite a bad area

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

youe people all scare too easily..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

The park you say...hmmm...I'm going to add that to the list of dodgy places in Limerick along with

Thomand
    Ballynanty
    Caherdavin (after dark)
    The City Centre (after dark)
    The Train Station (at all times of the day)
    Moyross
    South Hill
    The Island Field
    St. Mary's Park
    O'Malley Park
    Weston
    Castletroy (after dark)
    Garryowen

and now...

The Park (newly added to list)

Better add William St.

daughter just rang me O'Connells leather shop window just got the works a few minutes ago, row on the street or something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

I just got an infraction for using the word "tinker" in this thread...harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I just got an infraction for using the word "tinker" in this thread...harsh.

Thats probably one of the least offensive terms you could have used to describe those people, so I think it is very much harsh also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

No idea why, but Billy is severely oversensitive about traveller references.
    In saying that though, I havent seen him post in ages. Is he still around?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

Jumpy wrote: »
    No idea why, but Billy is severely oversensitive about traveller references.
    In saying that though, I havent seen him post in ages. Is he still around?

He must be if he gave me an infraction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 E.L

My four year old daughter loves the park, but i had her on a swing there recently when a park warden came up to us and ran his gloved hands down each chain of the swing and told me he had to check for needles.
    Thats why the public toilets outside the park were closed because he told me they were a shoot up venue for the junkies and to never bring my child there but to use the toilets in the station instead.The peoples park is beautifully kept but its the same old story of the usual few ruining it for the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

The worst thing that could happen in the park is if respectable folk stop using it.

So I make a point of going in there!:pac: To spite 'em like, make sure they see me etc.

I went in for a stroll yesterday evening and it was grand. All sorts in there but no sign of messing. I really do enjoy it and I would say it is easily the best thing in the city centre and always has been.

BTW, on a seperate but related matter - where is the old Victorian water font? is it being refurbished somewhere?

topper75 wrote: »
    The worst thing that could happen in the park is if respectable folk stop using it.

So I make a point of going in there!:pac: To spite 'em like, make sure they see me etc.

I went in for a stroll yesterday evening and it was grand. All sorts in there but no sign of messing. I really do enjoy it and I would say it is easily the best thing in the city centre and always has been.

BTW, on a seperate but related matter - where is the old Victorian water font? is it being refurbished somewhere?
    I believe so . They spent a few days carefully removing it so I assume it was for restoration cos it was in poor nick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭boardsdotie

E.L wrote: »
    I believe so . They spent a few days carefully removing it so I assume it was for restoration cos it was in poor nick.
    E.L take your 4 year old away from the city.

Castletroy has a smashing park down from superquinn, again the busses are frequent and as they say in the city the people are daycent.

• Advertisement

E.L take your 4 year old away from the city.

Castletroy has a smashing park down from superquinn, again the busses are frequent and as they say in the city the people are daycent.

Ha ha, I know I'm not doing much for the image of the city centre tonight.
    I have started taking her out to the park across from castletroy college she goes to the montessori next to it and loves it.

Advertisement