Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

For me, I dunno if I would fall in love again. It's possible and I wouldn't be closed off to it, but I can't see it at the moment. Have met some really wonderful women in the last few years, but for some reason..... That said after the first time I felt the same and it happened again so you never know. Though it took 8 years between them. I'm a bit slow it seems:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

barbiegirl wrote: »
    My parents taught me about love. It's holding hands when they thought no-one was watching. It's about being there in good times and bad. It's about putting the other one first. It's about always doing your best for the other. It doesn't need to be openly demonstrative or loud, just there. A quiet assurance that no matter what else happens you are there for one another. We lost our dad last week and I can tell you that the love he had for my mum and all of us has given us the best of role models for how to love and live our lives.

beautiful post.

my father died last year and me and my younger bros have the perfect role model for pure and unselfish love and devotion to my mam.

i definitely believe in love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 melissa4gar

Kirnsy wrote: »
    beautiful post.

my father died last year and me and my younger bros have the perfect role model for pure and unselfish love and devotion to my mam.

i definitely believe in love.

this is where i get my belief in love. ma always told me to look for the magic. da died suddenly just before xmas and my ma has lost everything. as have i and my brothers and sisters. never know real heart break untill yo see a 54 year old woman loose her partner of 38 years. they were best friends and soulmates and i will never believe someone can be heartbroken after a short lived romane.
    my da was the best man ever and moulded us in to rather normal down to earth people just as my mother did and there love for each other is what love is. its the magic its worth the wait

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Yes, I believe in love. And I think it comes in many shapes and sizes. Just like people. My other halves parents are the what I would strive to be like. They never fight, are still smitten over each other after many years of marraige and they grew up together, brought each other through the tough times.
    I love someone, and you just know inside yourself when its the real thing. It feels healthy. I really dont believe in the Hollywood type of love, sugar coated, perfectly timed and easy. Reality dosent work like that.
    Its dirty, can hurt, can happen at the worst of times, makes you do stupid things and can make you a better person.
    I used to think that love was just a whole bunch of chemicals that zoom around your body that we slapped the name love on but some of the things Ive seen prove this theory wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭enry

Love is overrated. Personally I think a good book is the way forward and maybe a nice pint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

enry wrote: »
    Love is overrated. Personally I think a good book is the way forward and maybe a nice pint

Why can't you have it all?!? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭valery

My word, for the short time i have been into Boards i have to admit i have
    not been too kind in some of my thoughts re. a few of our Boardies, some have posted in this thread. Now i feel so guilty as most of what i have read is nothing short of BEAUTIFUL, not being a silly bitch but i am crying as i type this post. Even if its only through Boards its so nice to know you lot. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Heffalump

to be honest, it has to be asked if there really is love or if it is simply a mix of hormones, lust and convenience. that warm fuzzy feeling you get is caused by oxytocin. gives you that buzz, but is simply caused by intimacy. having intimate contact with Hitleer would give the same effect as someone you like. it also causes contractions during childbirth, but that is another story. the fact is a lot of people get caught up in that question but really, most is instinctual. the rest, sure i'll admit, may be infact to do with compatibilty, but it must be said that when the original post that said about relationships based on fear of being alone may not be untrue. people who admit this may be more self aware. those who do find love may be just making themselves believe they have kinida like when everyone thought they had bird flu. those who say they used to be in love but now know they are not generally use this line when something, for want of a better word, better has come along or have just gotten bored with what they have. that said, i could just be a tad cynical about the bloody and warped state of the human condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

do you believe in it?
    or do u just think u have settled with someone so not to be alone

If I didnt believe in it then I would never date again.

I have been in lust before,ive been smitten before but to me,being in love is the singular best feeling there is,no question.

What is love?

Impossible to define.For me its giving yourself to someone,body,mind and soul.
    When you see them your stomach does a cartwheel,when you are away from them your heart sick,when you get a text from them you smile,you appreciate them when they are around and miss them when they are gone,they make you laugh but would never make you cry,they make you feel like a million dollars just by smiling at you,you can act like the biggest dork in the world around them and you or they dont care.The below quote pretty much sums it all up for me.
    "You come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by seeing an imperfect person perfectly." - Sam Keen

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sin1981 wrote: »
    check it out!
    http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/relationships/article5439805.ece
    True love exists according to the scientists!
    Sadly though for only 10% of couples it seems. The trick is to be one of those and the real trick is finding someone who is also one of those 10%. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭well horse

Heffalump wrote: »
    to be honest, it has to be asked if there really is love or if it is simply a mix of hormones, lust and convenience. that warm fuzzy feeling you get is caused by oxytocin. gives you that buzz, but is simply caused by intimacy. having intimate contact with Hitleer would give the same effect as someone you like. it also causes contractions during childbirth, but that is another story. the fact is a lot of people get caught up in that question but really, most is instinctual. the rest, sure i'll admit, may be infact to do with compatibilty, but it must be said that when the original post that said about relationships based on fear of being alone may not be untrue. people who admit this may be more self aware. those who do find love may be just making themselves believe they have kinida like when everyone thought they had bird flu. those who say they used to be in love but now know they are not generally use this line when something, for want of a better word, better has come along or have just gotten bored with what they have. that said, i could just be a tad cynical about the bloody and warped state of the human condition.

Well, the almost universal love that a parent feels for their children obviously arises as a result of the presence of certain hormones in the body or chemicals in the brain. Same can be said for the feelings of anger, stress, excitement; all emotions and feelings have a basis in some sort of body chemistry.

Nobody would feel uncomfortable by being told that feelings of stress arise as a result of higher levels of adreniline and cortisol in the blood (in turn induced by secretion of other chemicals, in turn secreted due to a situation in the enviromental that we typically regard as stressful), but people generally don't like the biochemistry of romantic love being explained to them for fear of explaining it away. This shouldn't be! An objective explanation of love dosen't stop it from existing in normal subjective experience.

Each feeling that can be felt by a person exists because it proved to be a beneficial trait to possess in our ancestors while evolution was still acting on them.

Same goes for romantic love. It obviously has a chemical basis that comes about as a result of a myriad of chemical factors; this dosen't mean that it dosen't exist, just cause we can explain it!
    For example, you might like chocolate or playing football and you might appreciate that there are reductionist reasons (ie. high energy food for chocolate....release of dopamine etc in brain playing football) for enjoying these things. This dosen't mean that you don't really like chocolate/ football! Just means that there is a reason based in ultimate causation for why you like it.

In the distant past, romantic love between a man and woman helped to reduce the odds of a newborn child not being the man's. It also made sure each partner cared and worked for each other and their children, seeing as they each had a common genetic stake in their child(ren). Basically, (and you could read into it if you wanted!), there are evolutionarily plausable reasons for the existence of strong romantic love between two adults. My own opinion is that it definately exists, in a much less sugar coated version than hollywood would have us believe. Although I believe that such concepts as "soul mates" are nonsense!

It seems well horse is even more reductive than me, yet at the same time philosophical, so I may end up lovin him. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

iseeyou wrote: »
    This is an extremely disturbing view that you view being a soul mate as being "half" of the person or "half" of a couple. I absolutely hate when people say this, of course there is such thing as true love and having a deep connection with someone but this idea that you need someone to "complete you" is utter crap. You came into this earth as ONE WHOLE PERSON, and you go out that way. You may find the love of your life but they should COMPLIMENT who you are not COMPLETE you. If you feel like you are only half a person when your not with someone or you literally mean it when you say "my other half" then you have problems.

I only noticed this now, but there is such a thing as two things complimenting each other so that the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. Both halves can be perfectly normal, balanced and functional and still experience a sense of completion when in the others company.

I think people get so pissed because they feel it implies weakness, or neediness. This is not always the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Nope love don't exist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Love, I knew it existed and experienced it. The type of love one has for a family member.

The other love, the one between you and your other half was unfamiliar to me. I suppose I never really knew it existed. Was always asked by friends and those silly online questionnaires that float about bebo and facebook "have you ever been in love?". Would always ask myself, have I? Then figured if I need to ask myself that very question I haven't been.

These days I don't need to question it's existence, or myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 millebisous

Love is very real, I do believe that there is that one person that your meant to be with! I am lucky enough to have met that person, The ONE for me. The person i intend and WILL spend the rest of my life with. I have never had this feeling I have when I am with him. The world could be falling down around me but I wouldn't notice or mind once Im with him. I love this man so much. Yes we do have our differences every now and again but i can say we've never had a fight! We talk things through, i feel we are doing everything right. I have just moved in with him, we plan on getting our own place in the next few months. I plan on this man being my husband, i plan on having his children and living happily ever after. I know people might think this sounds silly or sounds like a fairytale. But thats what it is, I have my prince and i am living a fairytale!! I hope you all find your one true love :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Zombie thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement