Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE - the end is nigh - high wages come home to roost

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Hope they do go bust. Too many over-paid, talentless jerk-offs. Pat Kenny's final show and his mock up of a barbeque in his back garden (a la Alan Partridge) was laughable until I actually remembered that my license fee was paying for it. I'm leaving the country in September and I think the final push to do so was caused by the announcement that Ryan Tubridy would be taking over from Pat Kenny. RTE are like Ireland's politicians - totally incompetent and yet getting richer despite that. Getting paid bonuses for ****ing things up. Only in Ireland!

jaysus:eek:

Bit drastic Art!

Anything else you want to tell us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Hope they do go bust. Too many over-paid, talentless jerk-offs. Pat Kenny's final show and his mock up of a barbeque in his back garden (a la Alan Partridge) was laughable until I actually remembered that my license fee was paying for it. I'm leaving the country in September and I think the final push to do so was caused by the announcement that Ryan Tubridy would be taking over from Pat Kenny. RTE are like Ireland's politicians - totally incompetent and yet getting richer despite that. Getting paid bonuses for ****ing things up. Only in Ireland!

I wish I could thank you twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

rubadub wrote: »
    Fair enough, but thats what I was also calling for earlier, if 99% of households are legally obliged to pay the licence, (and in 2002, the rate of licence-fee evasion was estimated at 12%) then why not just include it in normal taxation? Why have all the cost of admin collecting these fees and chasing down and prosecuting people, and further taking up airtime with ads saying they are going to catch you.

The task of chasing down and prosecuting these evaders is done by An Post. RTE have nothing to do with collecting the licence fee. The ads are paid for by An Post. Who pay RTE for ad space.

I can't imagine the govt ever thinking of increasing tax for funding a semi state body like RTE, especially in todays economic climate. In an ideal world this would be great - RTE would get all the revenue it's entitled to, but it wont be happening any time soon. RTE isn't a public sector entity as such. It's a semi-state. It follows private sector wage agreements, Has a DC pension scheme and doesnt get anything form benchm,arking etc. Funding it with tax would throw all these down the drain and it would become a civil service - like the HSE.

I'm leaving the country in September and I think the final push to do so was caused by the announcement that Ryan Tubridy would be taking over from Pat Kenny. !

lol at this. ^^:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I'm leaving the country in September and I think the final push to do so was caused by the announcement that Ryan Tubridy would be taking over from Pat Kenny.

Wow you really do feel strongly about that. I thank you for the laugh reading it gave me. Here is hoping you move to a land with the most awesome tv on the planet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭holidayhere

cut the late late show. its not like people watch it :pac:
    Rubbish..... the Late Late is fine.
    The wages for the presenters of shows like this are the problem.
    An honest buck for an honest days work.
    If the dole is going to be halved, why not half those guys as well.
    They would still get by on a few 100 big ones every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

syklops wrote: »
    I hope RTE go bust because they are an incompetent over-inflated shower, who like many other government owned/sponsored organisations need to be reformed.

I suppose you're not going to do anything to aid in this reformation.
    Would I be right in saying that you would prefer no national broadcaster, rather than having to do something to help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Yes, lets all hope RTÉ goes bust, sure who cares about the hundreds of people who work there and depend on their jobs...... :rolleyes:

There have been cut backs on staff for the past good few years, a lot of people voted to freeze pay in order to keep jobs. Some have taken early retirement/lost contracts etc. A lot of them are making the same sacrifice people across the country have too keep their jobs/business running. Just because some of the people in higher power pay the stupid wages to the wrong people and insist that some people get a bonus when other's are being told they're being let go isn't all the workers fault. It's the higher ups who need rearranging in the brain department.

There are a lot of people who've lost and are yet to lose their jobs in RTÉ this year. Spare a thought eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Terry wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying that you would prefer no national broadcaster, rather than having to do something to help?

Its not really his job to fix RTE. :D

If they asked nicely, I'd give it a go.

star-pants wrote: »
    Yes, lets all hope RTÉ goes bust, sure who cares about the hundreds of people who work there and depend on their jobs...... :rolleyes:

There have been cut backs on staff for the past good few years, a lot of people voted to freeze pay in order to keep jobs. Some have taken early retirement/lost contracts etc. A lot of them are making the same sacrifice people across the country have too keep their jobs/business running. Just because some of the people in higher power pay the stupid wages to the wrong people and insist that some people get a bonus when other's are being told they're being let go isn't all the workers fault. It's the higher ups who need rearranging in the brain department.

There are a lot of people who've lost and are yet to lose their jobs in RTÉ this year. Spare a thought eh?

That's a good sensible post star panties, I am in agreement with you all the way.

Lobsided structure for sure.

• Advertisement

I dont know what you are saying but I dont like the sound of it. Whats the AH motto? Attack the post not the poster?

What do you suggest I do to aid the reformation? I have written complaint letters to RTE, I have written to TD's, nothing came to fruition.

As for the insinuation that I am lazy, that I would rather do nothing then get off my lazy unemployed arse to make a difference, or to improve our state, well I can describe how angry that makes me feel.

I have served the state both in uniform and out, and have never shyed away from a little extra work to get something done.

I would love to hear your ideas for something I could do to improve RTE. Please give me an idea for something to do to improve it.

And as for your comment, that I would rather not have a state broadcaster than do something, well that comment sickens me.

star-pants wrote: »

There have been cut backs on staff for the past good few years, a lot of people voted to freeze pay in order to keep jobs. Some have taken early retirement/lost contracts etc. A lot of them are making the same sacrifice people across the country have too keep their jobs/business running.

I don't really want RTE to go bust, but I do want a national broadcaster that Ireland can be proud of. If Pat Kenny took a 25% paycut, like alot of people have had to do in this recession, RTE could create 10 new jobs. If some of the other hot shots took pay cuts, it could very well solve RTE's financial problems, and stop the redundancies they are threatening.

And then you say:
    Just because some of the people in higher power pay the stupid wages to the wrong people and insist that some people get a bonus when other's are being told they're being let go isn't all the workers fault. It's the higher ups who need rearranging in the brain department.

So are you agreeing with me or what? RTE needs to be reformed. From the top down.
    When did I say it was the workers fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

[...]

Yes. Improving and adapting to the modern market might be beneficial. However since they have shown no sign of doing that then it's time to cull. Let them sink or swim on their own merits. The last thing the tax payer needs is to fund more shoite from the national broadcaster.

We fund, therefor we own tbh

We can demand changes and improvements. Nobody ever seems to fight for anything these days, it's all just about moaning on a forum.

RTE will not be allowed to sink, it's too valuable an asset for too many people. That includes most of the upcoming talent that Ireland has to offer.

The TV License fee goes towards many groups which nurture talent, not just RTE. But there are problems with how RTE use what resources are available to them.

The only thing that needs to be changed is the bureaucracy of how deals are made and new talent is introduced and promoted.

That could probably be done by replacing <10 staff at Donnybrook :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

So are you agreeing with me or what? RTE needs to be reformed. From the top down.
    When did I say it was the workers fault?

No I do agree, things need to be fixed. I was just responding to a lot of people who think 'screw RTE hope it bites the dust' type thing. They just see the top people and not the ones below who are busting their backsides to do their best.

are you including Brian Dowling in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭lisaface

I'm not entirely sure if this is correct or just word of mouth, so please don't quote me on it. Ryan Tubirdy, I heard RTE have given him a pay raise recently an extra 20k for taking over 'the late late show' and that his own show will go on a break til sept. However when he returns to do his own show he will be given the same pay cheque he received before leaving for the LLS.

If this is true, this man needs a wake up call, ffs I honestly think if he took a pay cut , they'd have (maybe) SOME chance of surviving. Actually second thought, No.. I highly doubt it now lol.

Feck RTE tbh they can go down the tubes, nobody really bothers with it anymore. TV3 from what I can see with is the most watched Irish tv channel. (Those that are previleged to afford ntl/sky ect) I know in this house, the girls are I watch TV3 and it's probably the only IRISH channel we do watch lol.

Let it go down the drain, it might be a wake up call to all the broadcasters within RTE helloo we're in a recession people, asking for a higher pay raise rather than taking a pay cut *drops head in shame of our national broadcasters*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

i have not read this tread in its entirety, so i hope this has not being mentioned earlier, quite a few years ago at a eurovision meeting, (not the song contest) the then head of rte gave a speech, most of it on how a fledgleing $ky operation would not last and would definitly go bust, to dissapear as a threat to terrestial tv, to me this explaines rtes problems.

lisaface wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure if this is correct or just word of mouth, so please don't quote me on it. Ryan Tubirdy, I heard RTE have given him a pay raise recently an extra 20k for taking over 'the late late show' and that his own show will go on a break til sept. However when he returns to do his own show he will be given the same pay cheque he received before leaving for the LLS.

If this is true, this man needs a wake up call, ffs I honestly think if he took a pay cut , they'd have (maybe) SOME chance of surviving. Actually second thought, No.. I highly doubt it now lol.

Feck RTE tbh they can go down the tubes, nobody really bothers with it anymore. TV3 from what I can see with is the most watched Irish tv channel. (Those that are previleged to afford ntl/sky ect) I know in this house, the girls are I watch TV3 and it's probably the only IRISH channel we do watch lol.

AAhh now if you are going to diss the lad at least learn to spell his name correctly.

All you Dubs all together,

TUB---RIDY TUB RID EE

Not Tubbery Turbidy Tubirty

Come on Dubs... not too difficult ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I dont know what you are saying but I dont like the sound of it. Whats the AH motto? Attack the post not the poster?

What do you suggest I do to aid the reformation? I have written complaint letters to RTE, I have written to TD's, nothing came to fruition.

As for the insinuation that I am lazy, that I would rather do nothing then get off my lazy unemployed arse to make a difference, or to improve our state, well I can describe how angry that makes me feel.

I have served the state both in uniform and out, and have never shyed away from a little extra work to get something done.

I would love to hear your ideas for something I could do to improve RTE. Please give me an idea for something to do to improve it.

And as for your comment, that I would rather not have a state broadcaster than do something, well that comment sickens me.
    Here's a list I made earlier:
    I don't have all the answers. I never professed that I did.
    However, if you were to do something, then I would suggest a grass roots campaign to,
    1. Get the wages lowered for those who you feel do not deserve it.
    2. Push for a digital service which would prevent access to RTÉ for those without a licence, leaving the licence fee there for those who want to watch the channels.
    3. Lobby your local TD about these problems and get him or her to bring it up in the Dail.
    4. get people to sign a petition for your cause. Not an on-line petition because they are not worth the paper they're not written on. An actual petition where you go door to door or stop people on the street.
    5. If needs be, you could form a protest outside the station's HQ in Donnybrook.
    6. Send out leaflets or pamphlets letting people know what your agenda is.
    7.Get someone running for office to support your campaign.

Thast's just off the top of my head.
    If you really want things to change, then you have to work for it.
    It doesn't just fall into your lap.

Any further questions?

Let it go down the drain, it might be a wake up call to all the broadcasters within RTE helloo we're in a recession people, asking for a higher pay raise rather than taking a pay cut *drops head in shame of our national broadcasters*
    Not everyone wants to see ITV with Irish ads or eyebrows Gilsen taking over the screen with said oddly placed eyebrows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Feck RTE tbh they can go down the tubes, nobody really bothers with it anymore. TV3 from what I can see with is the most watched Irish tv channel.

don't let the facts get in the way of a good argument!

these are the agb neilson ratings for april

http://www.agbnielsen.net/Uploads/Ireland/Apr09FREE.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Lollers, TV3 is a long way behind RTE1 and RTE2. RTE1 averages double to three times the viewers of TV3 and RTE2 comes in around the same, usually a bit higher. At any given time for every viewer TV3 have RTE have 3 or 4 across the 2 channels

You must also be forgetting the fact that TV3 doesn't even come near to covering the whole country. There is still a significant number of people who only get RTE1 and 2 and TG4.

Remember, Lisas house does not equal representative sample of Irish people.

edit - rgdata comes in with the data to back it all up.

copacetic wrote: »

Remember, Flutters house does not equal representative sample of Irish people.

it was lisaface

• Subscribers Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

RGDATA! wrote: »
    it was lisaface

cheers, fixed. of course if flutter could quote properly we'd be alright!

Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I don't have all the answers. I never professed that I did.
    However, if you were to do something, then I would suggest a grass roots campaign to,
    1. Get the wages lowered for those who you feel do not deserve it.
    2. Push for a digital service which would prevent access to RTÉ for those without a licence, leaving the licence fee there for those who want to watch the channels.
    3. Lobby your local TD about these problems and get him or her to bring it up in the Dail.
    4. get people to sign a petition for your cause. Not an on-line petition because they are not worth the paper they're not written on. An actual petition where you go door to door or stop people on the street.
    5. If needs be, you could form a protest outside the station's HQ in Donnybrook.
    6. Send out leaflets or pamphlets letting people know what your agenda is.
    7.Get someone running for office to support your campaign.

Thast's just off the top of my head.
    If you really want things to change, then you have to work for it.
    It doesn't just fall into your lap.

Any further questions?

I have lobbied my local TDs nothing came to fruition. I dont blame them, between the financial crisis, the Health service, and various other issues, who wants to be the poor unfortunate to stand up in the Dail and suggest the reform of the state broadcaster.

I have written many letters to RTE themselves, and nothing happened.

Short of running for election myself(which is currently out of the question), I do not know what else to do.

I cannot believe this thread is still going. It's soooo full of fail it's shocking! Ah well at least it's in AH.

As for this...........
    TV3 from what I can see with is the most watched Irish tv channel. (Those that are previleged to afford ntl/sky ect) I know in this house, the girls are I watch TV3 and it's probably the only IRISH channel we do watch lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

TV3 from what I can see with is the most watched Irish tv channel.

With that I laugh and go to bed. I am sure there will be more facts pulled from your arse tomorrow when I wake up.

I have lobbied my local TDs nothing came to fruition. I dont blame them, between the financial crisis, the Health service, and various other issues, who wants to be the poor unfortunate to stand up in the Dail and suggest the reform of the state broadcaster.

I have written many letters to RTE themselves, and nothing happened.

Short of running for election myself(which is currently out of the question), I do not know what else to do.

serious question, because i'm genuinely interested - I posted the neilson ratings for april 08. what would be your individual ratings for the same - ie. over the last month what channels have you watched, and what's the rough % breakdown. in advance, a follow up question - what are these channels giving you that RTE isn't?

RGDATA! wrote: »
    serious question, because i'm genuinely interested - I posted the neilson ratings for april 08. what would be your individual ratings for the same - ie. over the last month what channels have you watched, and what's the rough % breakdown. in advance, a follow up question - what are these channels giving you that RTE isn't?

For your follow up question, what have I gotten from other channels I dont get from RTE, well, for a start, in my DVD collection, I have discs from 3 different series that were made by the BBC. These are Top Gear, Doctor Who and Spooks. I do not have a single disc from RTE. I have a set of discs from a series that was offered to RTE but they turned it down, the series in question is of course Father Ted.

I admit, the number DVDs a person has bears little relevance to how appreciated a show is, but I can not think of one single show made by RTE that I would care to watch over and over again like I do with the DVDs I have mentioned. Apart from news, current affairs and sport, I can not think of any shows that RTE produces which I would care to watch repeatedly (with the exception of Podge and Rodge but that is not produced by RTE).

Top Gear I will watch over and over. Same for Doctor Who and Spooks. I will and do watch them over and over.

As for the first part of your question, why do you want to know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

AAhh now if you are going to diss the lad at least learn to spell his name correctly.

All you Dubs all together,

TUB---RIDY TUB RID EE

Not Tubbery Turbidy Tubirty

Come on Dubs... not too difficult ?

Tub orty, tiburty, toobarty.....

Cúntface

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

They'll be bailed out but I just hope they get rid of that absolute bellend that presents in between shows at around 6-7pm each evening. Why do they even need him? Surely a picture with whatever is coming up will do. :rolleyes:

Advertisement