Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE - the end is nigh - high wages come home to roost

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

syklops wrote: »
    To make my point for me, I just switched over to rte one to catch some of sister act, and the announcer has said(as gaeilge) it will return in a few moments after the nuacht. Its so flipping annoying!!!!! I have written 3 letters about this to RTE in the past, and only got a reply one of the times, saying programme scheduling was not up to the complaint's department.

Its such a stupid system.

hahahah that's the funniest response I've ever heard. So they can only deal with complaint-related complaints then?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

To make my point for me, I just switched over to rte one to catch some of sister act, and the announcer has said(as gaeilge) it will return in a few moments after the nuacht. Its so flipping annoying!!!!! I have written 3 letters about this to RTE in the past, and only got a reply one of the times, saying programme scheduling was not up to the complaint's department.

Its such a stupid system.

The nuacht is a public service, it goes out at the same time every weekday no matter what else is on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

To make my point for me, I just switched over to rte one to catch some of sister act, and the announcer has said(as gaeilge) it will return in a few moments after the nuacht.

Why would you turn on Sister Act half way through it and then complain about something being shown that is shown at the same time every day?

The funny thing about this thread is people in the UK moan the exact same way about the BBC

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Someone mentioned in a previous post that TG4 is RTÉ's 3rd station, but TG4 actually went independent in 2007, so they are no longer a part of RTÉ. They still work together on certain shows, such as Nuacht, but apart from that there's no connection anymore.
    If RTÉ were to go down, TG4 wouldn't be affected much.

Someone mentioned in a previous post that TG4 is RTÉ's 3rd station, but TG4 actually went independent in 2007, so they are no longer a part of RTÉ. They still work together on certain shows, such as Nuacht, but apart from that there's no connection anymore.
    If RTÉ were to go down, TG4 wouldn't be affected much.

'cept TG4 are already cashless and because of this the broadcasting bill may force RTÉ to fund them again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

copacetic wrote: »
    The nuacht is a public service, it goes out at the same time every weekday no matter what else is on.

Yeah but the problem isn't the news going out the same time every weekday, it's that programmes are being scheduled to overlap with that time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Linku wrote: »
    TV3 has programming obligations, yet they make up their Irish programming requirement with cack like Xposé. I'd rather take Nationwide or something over some cheap greenscreen show any day, of which TV3 must have 5 or 6 on daily now...

Eh so you put in proper restrictions on what their obligations are so they can't do that crap.

This isn't rocket science.

Mark200 wrote: »
    Yeah but the problem isn't the news going out the same time every weekday, it's that programmes are being scheduled to overlap with that time

I dunno, a clash with a movie and nuacht on RTE1 would only happen on a bank hol? Todays schedule was the news, home and away, fair city repeat, then 2 movies before the 6 o'clock news. So it was either break for the nuacht or not have one of the movies?

Seems like complaining for the sake of complaining.

I dunno, a clash with a movie and nuacht on RTE1 would only happen on a bank hol? Todays schedule was the news, home and away, fair city repeat, then 2 movies before the 6 o'clock news. So it was either break for the nuacht or not have one of the movies?

When the movie is Sister Act, always no movie at all, always no movie at all :pac:

Put on some comedy or something or a shorter movie or one really long movie or whatever to make up the schedule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Mark200 wrote: »

Thats what I am saying. I have heard the argument that the nuacht/news is on at the same time everyday and has been since Gaybo was a small boy so many times and thats fine, but don't schedule another program over that slot!!!
    Why would you turn on Sister Act half way through it and then complain about something being shown that is shown at the same time every day?

I turned over to sister act to watch sister act. Not the nuacht.

• Advertisement

It doesn't just happen on bank holidays. This happens during the midweek movie and plenty of other movies in the course of the week aswell. And its not complaining for the sake of complaining. I am complaining because I pay the license fee and I am not happy with the way the service is provided. I have complained through the normal channels and gotten nowhere, so I am complaining on here instead. Do you have a problem with that copacetic?

As far as I am concerned I hope RTE does go bust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Do you have a problem with that copacetic?

You seem to have the problem. Can you not just accept that other people enjoy watching programmes you deem to be ****?

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    You seem to have the problem. Can you not just accept that other people enjoy watching programmes you deem to be ****?

Yes I can accept other people like watching things I don't. I cant accept why the program I want to watch gets stopped 20 mins from the end to show something else. All I am asking that they show movies in their entiriety. Dont pause them for 10 mins to show the news. Thats all I am asking.

It doesn't just happen on bank holidays. This happens during the midweek movie and plenty of other movies in the course of the week aswell. And its not complaining for the sake of complaining. I am complaining because I pay the license fee and I am not happy with the way the service is provided. I have complained through the normal channels and gotten nowhere, so I am complaining on here instead. Do you have a problem with that copacetic?

I think you misread, I said a clash like this could only happen on a bank holiday that there would be a movie on to clash with the nuacht on RTE1.

You appear now to be talking about something totally different on RTE2? I've seen plenty of midweek movies without breaks for the news so I assume you aren't saying it happens every time?

Either way I do have a problem with someone complaining about such a minor thing as if it was some kind of national disaster. lolllers at hoping RTE goes bust because they broke out of sister act for 10 mins to show the Nuacht.

It was a regular thing for a while when ITV were doing the same, I think they've pretty much stopped it now.

It is really annoying when they take a break for the news half way through a movie. 20 minutes later and you don't care what happens in the movie or you've forgotten plot points because you went off to do something else because the movie isn't the most important thing in the world but you were just talking a few minutes out of your day to entertain yourself and get away from it all.

I'm sorry I tried to have fun, it won't happen again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

rjt wrote: »
    Should we stop the bus service too? Some things have to be provided for by the state, even if they run at a loss. And just because you have a car doesn't mean you should be exempt from paying taxes that go towards public transport.
    It would be like having a free bus service and everybody paying the same amount whether they use it or not. Like I said earlier why not have a cooker licence and send out meals to people each day? eat it or bin it, you have no choice if you own a cooker you are legally obliged to have a licence.

It is not a vital service as mentioned, and many countries get by fine without it.
    # 3 Countries where the TV licence has been abolished

* 3.1 Australia
    * 3.2 Belgium (Flemish region)
    * 3.3 Cyprus
    * 3.4 Gibraltar
    * 3.5 Hungary
    * 3.6 India
    * 3.7 Malaysia
    * 3.8 Netherlands
    * 3.9 New Zealand
    * 3.10 Portugal

# 4 Countries that never had a television or broadcasting licence

* 4.1 Europe
    o 4.1.1 Andorra
    o 4.1.2 Estonia
    o 4.1.3 Liechtenstein
    o 4.1.4 Luxembourg
    o 4.1.5 Monaco
    * 4.2 North America
    o 4.2.1 Canada
    o 4.2.2 United States
    * 4.3 Asia
    o 4.3.1 China (mainland)
    o 4.3.2 Hong Kong
    o 4.3.3 Iran
    o 4.3.4 Vietnam
    o 4.3.5 The Philippines
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_licence
    eirman wrote: »
    Look at the way they deploy their staff ..........

One set of presenters for rte1 tv lunchtime news

Another set for the 6pm news (Do they really need 3 people?)

Another set for the 9pm
    It is a bizarre waste. I watch TV3 in the morning, the presenters do interviews, report on sport, do the weather and other things.
    rjt wrote: »
    TV3 don't produce nearly as many Irish TV shows though - think of all of the Irish drama series, documentaries etc. made and run by RTE. Financially it's a lot easier to import a successful show from abroad than to produce something at home. Having a public broadcaster means these things will be made, even if they do run at a loss.
    Which I think is a bad thing. Let the people decide for themselves, with a subscription service just like any other TV company like sky have to do. Let people pay if they want, not throw them in prison if they don't.
    Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I think you will find that you cant. A year of Sky or NTL costs more than the licence fee.
    But you could probably get a dish setup to get free channels for around the same price, and thats a one off fee.

I remember the licence was around £6 in the 80's I dunno what has happened since then to account for the rise to €160, many of these programs that pull in high advertising revenue would probably still pull in viewers if they changed to another presenter.

EDIT: was way off on the £6, it was £45-70

thebman wrote: »
    It was a regular thing for a while when ITV were doing the same, I think they've pretty much stopped it now.

It is really annoying when they take a break for the news half way through a movie. 20 minutes later and you don't care what happens in the movie or you've forgotten plot points because you went off to do something else because the movie isn't the most important thing in the world but you were just talking a few minutes out of your day to entertain yourself and get away from it all.

I'm sorry I tried to have fun, it won't happen again :(

Of course it's annoying and I'm sure the schedulers would much rather move the nuact around etc. However a large number of people rely on it, I'd guess the lesser of two evils is breaking the movie?

rubadub wrote: »
    I remember the licence was around £6 in the 80's I dunno what has happened since then to account for the rise to €160, many of these programs that pull in high advertising revenue would probably still pull in viewers if they changed to another presenter.

lol, the 1880s was it? You don't seem that old!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Defo not paying my tv licence now....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I remember the licence was around £6 in the 80's
    Lol Wut.

• Advertisement

I think you misread, I said a clash like this could only happen on a bank holiday that there would be a movie on to clash with the nuacht on RTE1.
    It seems to happen alot more than just Bank Holidays.
    You appear now to be talking about something totally different on RTE2? I've seen plenty of midweek movies without breaks for the news so I assume you aren't saying it happens every time?

RTE2??? Jesus you make it sound like I am talking about a different broadcaster. Is RTE2 not part of RTE anymore? And no it is not a totally different thing, I am still talking about RTE(the company that runs 2 different stations called RTE 1 and RTE 2), overlapping movies and other regularly scheduled programs for the same time slot. You have never experienced it? Well I have never experienced an earthquake. Using your logic, I suppose they dont happen either.
    Either way I do have a problem with someone complaining about such a minor thing as if it was some kind of national disaster.

You have a problem with me complaining about this? Why? Are you a neo-fascist?
    lolllers at hoping RTE goes bust because they broke out of sister act for 10 mins to show the Nuacht.

I hope RTE go bust because they are an incompetent over-inflated shower, who like many other government owned/sponsored organisations need to be reformed.

Of course it's annoying and I'm sure the schedulers would much rather move the nuact around etc. However a large number of people rely on it, I'd guess the lesser of two evils is breaking the movie?

Well I'm pretty sure you can schedule around and just not show the movie or change the time. There is no real need to show Sister Act again is there?

Why not just put in programming that fits with the scheduled programming?

ITV used to do it and I'm pretty sure it was to boost their news ratings more than anything else. Maybe Nuacht isn't attracting the viewers and they want to cover it up.

RTE2??? Jesus you make it sound like I am talking about a different broadcaster. Is RTE2 not part of RTE anymore? And no it is not a totally different thing, I am still talking about RTE(the company that runs 2 different stations called RTE 1 and RTE 2), overlapping movies and other regularly scheduled programs for the same time slot. You have never experienced it? Well I have never experienced an earthquake. Using your logic, I suppose they dont happen either..

jeez, relax, you said they always do it. I said they don't as I have only just watched one without a break for the news, I asked were you really saying that it happened every time as it clearly isn't true. I didn't ever say it never happened, just implied that as well as being Mr. Amazing complainer you ran a sideline in massively overstating thinsg.

You have a problem with me complaining about this? Why? Are you a neo-fascist?

Why, yes. Yes I am. Our new policy is to take people to task over complaining about the most minuscule minor things on internet forums. We think if this is successful they'll join the movement and it will lead to glory for the motherland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

It is not a vital service as mentioned, and many countries get by fine without it..

C'mon rub, if you're gonna quote wiki - then quote the full facts. licence fees have been abolished in those countries - but they get funding through taxes and grants.

Australia - The ABC has since then been funded by government grants, now totalling around A$800 million a year, and its own commercial activities (merchandising, overseas sale of programmes, etc.).

Blegium (Flemish region) - The Flemish broadcaster VRT is now funded from general taxation.

Cyprus - CyBC is currently funded by advertising and government grants

Gibraltar - However, the majority of the GBC's funding came in the form of a grant from the government.

Hungary - Effectively this means that funding for Magyar Televízió and Duna TV now comes from the government through taxation

India - However in 1977, the licensing system was withdrawn, with both the Indian national public broadcasters, AIR and Doordarshan instead funded by both the Government of India and advertisements

Malaysia - Good telly there

Netherlands - In order to pay for public television from government funds, income tax was increased.[30]

New Zealand - TV channels had become commercial revenue generators for the government with hardly any public service obligations left.

Portugal - replaced with direct government subsidy and advertisements. The radio licence fee is approximately €20.52 per year (€1.71 per month).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_licence

This has gone way off topic. Lets agree to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

eirman wrote: »
    Look at the way they deploy their staff ..........

One set of presenters for rte1 tv lunchtime news

Another set for the 6pm news (Do they really need 3 people?)

Another set for the 9pm......

The newsreaders also read the news on radio One. Hourly. And read the news headlines on RTE ONE - every 2 hours i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,258 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If it gets joe Duffy off the airwaves, I shall not be a disappointed man.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I remember the licence was around £6 in the 80's
    lol, the 1880s was it? You don't seem that old!
    Aidric wrote: »
    Lol Wut.
    You guys are right, I was WAY off, could have sworn it was that cheap, I remember my father had it ontop of the TV, maybe he was messing with me or I remembered the price wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licensing_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland
    it was between £45-70 in the 80s for a colour TV.
    newbie2 wrote: »
    C'mon rub, if you're gonna quote wiki - then quote the full facts. licence fees have been abolished in those countries - but they get funding through taxes and grants.
    Fair enough, but thats what I was also calling for earlier, if 99% of households are legally obliged to pay the licence, (and in 2002, the rate of licence-fee evasion was estimated at 12%) then why not just include it in normal taxation? Why have all the cost of admin collecting these fees and chasing down and prosecuting people, and further taking up airtime with ads saying they are going to catch you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Hope they do go bust. Too many over-paid, talentless jerk-offs. Pat Kenny's final show and his mock up of a barbeque in his back garden (a la Alan Partridge) was laughable until I actually remembered that my license fee was paying for it. I'm leaving the country in September and I think the final push to do so was caused by the announcement that Ryan Tubridy would be taking over from Pat Kenny. RTE are like Ireland's politicians - totally incompetent and yet getting richer despite that. Getting paid bonuses for ****ing things up. Only in Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I'm leaving the country in September and I think the final push to do so was caused by the announcement that Ryan Tubridy would be taking over from Pat Kenny.
    So you're in exile until they bring back Gaybo? Those are some strong late late related conviction you have there. I save my righteous country leaving indignation for important stuff myself.

Advertisement