Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Boradband in UK for 1 year for <€25 [CONFIRMED!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

I had my free Dongle from 3 but didnt de brand it yet. Was shopping in Belfast today and Currys had the O2 Dongle for £14.95 so I bought one, it was half price. So I guess I will just stick the SIM in it after activting it in a unlocked phone and top up.

The 3 one is still handy to have for use in Ireland after de branding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 LeanMean

I got my (almost free) modem and unlocked it without any hassle.

Can I activate a top up and buy the 1GB add-on over the internet, or does this have to be done in a 3 phone?

I don't have access to a 3 phone right now so I might have to ask the staff to do it for me.

Thanks guys for all the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

LeanMean wrote: »
    I got my (almost free) modem and unlocked it without any hassle.

Can I activate a top up and buy the 1GB add-on over the internet, or does this have to be done in a 3 phone?

I don't have access to a 3 phone right now so I might have to ask the staff to do it for me.

Thanks guys for all the help.

From my understanding you buy a top up voucher then log onto the 3 website with your dongle . Its free to access the ''my three'' page. You then convert your top up voucher to a internet package .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,923 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Got mine a couple of weeks ago, unlocked and all fine,

just a pity that the area i do be in has poor 02 coverage (only gets gsm)
    although 3 say they have excellent coverage in the area,

i tried it in Newcastle city and it worked great, good speeds for mobile broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

Mezcita wrote: »
    Yep. Only thing I would add is that insert the dongle into your PC to allow it to install the 3 software. Then go through the various steps to debrand it. Once you have put in the 3 sim card it automatically picks up the 3 Ireland network once it has been debranded.

cool thanks.had an old voda modem lyin around and got it sorted with that. Cant find the 1gig offer though, is that still on? All i can see on the 3 website is €5 daily 500mb, €10 weekly 2gig, and €25 monthly for 10gig. I presume the 1gig offer is finished, or am i just missing it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

coyle wrote: »
    cool thanks.had an old voda modem lyin around and got it sorted with that. Cant find the 1gig offer though, is that still on? All i can see on the 3 website is €5 daily 500mb, €10 weekly 2gig, and €25 monthly for 10gig. I presume the 1gig offer is finished, or am i just missing it?

You're missing it, register the sim as a phone, not a dongle then get the €10 per month bolt on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

I got mine but haven't unlocked it yet (had a bid of bother but overall not interested). It cost me £4.95 to buy it and £4 to have it posted. I'll sell it to anyone who'd like to throw on Irish postage costs and pay the total. Interested ?

To clarify - just the modem - no SIM, no CD, nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

PM Sent to Random.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Random wrote: »
    I got mine but haven't unlocked it yet (had a bid of bother but overall not interested). It cost me £4.95 to buy it and £4 to have it posted. I'll sell it to anyone who'd like to throw on Irish postage costs and pay the total. Interested ?

To clarify - just the modem - no SIM, no CD, nothing else.

Next in line if the deal with dingding falls through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Sold to ding ding and hopefully in the post today. Sorry cold fire. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Random wrote: »
    Sold to ding ding and hopefully in the post today. Sorry cold fire. :(

No worries. If you do find another one then do let me know.

By the way the E51 I got from you last year is still working great :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Maybe a stupid question but how do you top up the card? Never had a pre pay sim before

kearnsr wrote: »
    Maybe a stupid question but how do you top up the card? Never had a pre pay sim before

Go to a shop , not a buchers or a chemist, one that sells newspapers is normally good.

Ask the counterstaff for '€10 three mobile please', or if in UK, '£10 o2 please'

Then exchange cash for goods or services.
    ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

ch750536 wrote: »
    Go to a shop , not a buchers or a chemist, one that sells newspapers is normally good.

Ask the counterstaff for '€10 three mobile please', or if in UK, '£10 o2 please'

Then exchange cash for goods or services.
    ;)

You learn something new everyday!

Do you have to activate the sim or anything to use the broadband?

From the original site where I got the offer

http://www.speedtest.net/result/484845649.png

works fine.

"I installed the Telus software on my pc and the Global Connection Manager on the mrs's laptop and I get a connection on both ok.
    I registered the iPhone sim on a Nokia 6300 (3g phone - might make a difference) and topped it up at a cashpoint."
    Posting from UK using free internet!!

Addiditional step:

Buy phone credit in a shop and add the credit in an unlocked phone, not an iphone though.

Add the settings:

dial number *99#
    username: mobileweb
    password: password
    APN: payandgo.o2.co.uk

Also, the €10 for 1 gig deal from 3 PAYG works here also.

Cool.

Does it have to be a 3g phone?

Does it have to be a 3g phone?

Naa, any phone

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

I gave in and bought the dongle from the 3 store (UK) for £20. Unlocked it and put in the O2 sim and it works a treat. (BTW I'm using it in the UK)

Naa, any phone

Got it sorted.
    Thanks

Got it sorted.

And am up and running.

Man its slow. What strenght of singal/type of connection do people have to make it decent?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

And am up and running.

Man its slow. What strenght of singal/type of connection do people have to make it decent?

Connecting via the 3 software I get about three bars. I'm averaging about 1/2 meg download from Ballybrack. That said, was in Listowel yesterday and it was 1.5meg!!!

All in all though versus the alternative of spunking 50 quid a month on a Eircom/BT set up I'm happy enough.

• Advertisement

And am up and running.

Does depend on lots of things. Like I said earlier, in Limerick Regional got a cracking connection, here at home, on top of a 1000ft hill, looking at a transmitter in my back yard, morse code would be a speed upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

The offer page now says

"uSwitch exclusive - £9.99
    Half price dongle and 5 Free album downloads

Only available until 31st July"

Could someone confirm that this is the same unlockable dongle and whether the original post still works?

It is what it's.

I unlocked one of the original dongles last night using the software linked in the original post. I was able to use it then with an O2 sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I've got the Uk 3 dongle, got the Irish 3 Prepay sim and loaded up the 1 GIG Add On. When I connected to the web on my laptop, it brought me to 3's UK site. Is this normal. Or am I paying a roaming charge?

Did you unbrand the dongle as per the first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Did you unbrand the dongle as per the first post.
    yes. first thing I did. Is that where I went wrong. Thinking Of starting the process again from the start to see how I get on.

It takes a while. I think it took 20 minutes for me. Also you need to use one of the rear USB ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

I'm using a netbook that doesn't have any rear usb ports. The unlocker doesn't seem to be detecting the dongle although the 3connect thing does detect it so i know at least its working.

Any ideas?

Try all the USB ports in turn, and leave it a couple of minutes. My DEll Pc did not see it(the unlocker programme) untill I plugged it into one of the rear ports.

• Advertisement

521453030.png

I take back what I said ealier

Advertisement