Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Boradband in UK for 1 year for <€25 [CONFIRMED!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭ISOT

ttm wrote: »
    It works just fine - if you want PAYG mobile :P

But why whould you want to buy a new modem if you already have one from vodafone? If its the old E220 then you can google a free unlocking method for that unlock it and just put in a 10euro 3 PAYG SIM and top up.But if you thougth vodafone was bad you might not find 3 any better just depends on what you think is bad.

Edit> You might also need a some generic software for the modem if the vodafone software won't allow you to create a new profile for the 3 connection but again google for it if you didn't find it with the unlock info and you'll need the 3 APN details no big deal to save yourself the price of a new modem.

Hi Just wondering if anyone could give me some advice,
    I basically have just completed what was suggested in the above quote, ie unlocked an old vodafone E220 modem that was around the office and now it loads the original HUAWEI mobile connnect software when inserted into any pc or laptop.
    I purchased a €10 sim only pack from 3 ireland yesterday and registered it online and tested it in an unlocked phone to confirm that it is picking up the network.
    However when i put it in the E220 modem it say usim/sim card does not exist or is unavailable.
    I have not topped up the phone or bought an internet add on yet, I just understood from some post here that I would be able to see the network.
    just thought i would ask before i purcase credit as i am not 100% sure about the modem, even thought it loads the splash screen normally.
    thanks in advance for any help.

Sorry,
    quick question, I have just unlocked a vodafone E220 modem and it now loads in a pc/laptop as "mobile connect" software by Huawei.
    bought a €10 3 ireland sim yesterday but have not topped up or added any add ons.
    The sim picks up the 3 network in my unlocked mobile phone but gives a "usim/sim unavailable or missing" message when the splash screen of the mobile connect software loads. I thought from reading here that it might pick up the network like it does on the unlocked mobile phone.

just want to see if this is normal before i spend another €10 on credit.

Thanks in advance.

sorry for the double post - first one did not seem to come up for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

ISOT wrote: »
    Sorry,
    quick question, I have just unlocked a vodafone E220 modem and it now loads in a pc/laptop as "mobile connect" software by Huawei.
    bought a €10 3 ireland sim yesterday but have not topped up or added any add ons.
    The sim picks up the 3 network in my unlocked mobile phone but gives a "usim/sim unavailable or missing" message when the splash screen of the mobile connect software loads. I thought from reading here that it might pick up the network like it does on the unlocked mobile phone.

just want to see if this is normal before i spend another €10 on credit.

Thanks in advance.

sorry for the double post - first one did not seem to come up for a while.

Appologies to all for taking this a bit off topic but in reply to the above afaik you should be able to pick up the network and even go to the My Three home page with no topup. I'm collecting S/H modems atm to see if there is any performance difference in them and using the same over the counter off the shelf PAYG SIM I can connect to the 3 network with no top up on several different modems including an unlocked E220. I can't see it would be anything to do with the SIM not being enabled for the internet or enabled by 3 as the Modem couldn't know that. Do you get the same msg with no SIM? Shouldn't be necessary but did you do the 7.2Mb upgrade? If you want PM me and I'll see if I can help.

Edit> From the orignal now deleted post that came in the thread notification email....
    I basically have just completed what was suggested in the above quote, ie unlocked an old vodafone E220 modem that was around the office and now it loads the original HUAWEI mobile connnect software when inserted into any pc or laptop.

Just wondering if you've just found out why it was lying around?

it was lying around since vodafone issued us with a newer model modem a few months back. It was working fine.
    pm sent thanks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

When I went to put deliver adress it says it has to be the same as the adress of the credit card. How do people get around this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

ISOT wrote: »
    it was lying around since vodafone issued us with a newer model modem a few months back. It was working fine.
    pm sent thanks.

You have to register it in a phone and on the website as a phone then buy a €10 topup, then buy the €10 for 1 gig/month addon.

kearnsr wrote: »
    When I went to put deliver adress it says it has to be the same as the adress of the credit card. How do people get around this?

I got my mate to buy it then I bought him some beer.

ch750536 wrote: »
    You have to register it in a phone and on the website as a phone then buy a €10 topup, then buy the €10 for 1 gig/month addon.

Done all that but still did not work.
    after more searching i found that i had not actually unlocked the modem, only updated the firmware.
    I fould a definitive guide to unlocking on the web and have just sucessfully unlocked the modem.
    thanks for the replies.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

ch750536 wrote: »
    I got my mate to buy it then I bought him some beer.

Good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭maxim

Hi,
    Is there any significant difference between the E220 and the ZTE MF627 modems? eg speed, connection, ease of flashing, etc.

• Advertisement

maxim wrote: »
    Hi,
    Is there any significant difference between the E220 and the ZTE MF627 modems? eg speed, connection, ease of flashing, etc.

I was hoping no one was going to ask that :cool:. IMHO afaik and after testing locally an upgraded and unlocked E220 gets a signal and connects when an unlocked ZTE MF627 does not. (The E169G - vanilla locked - seems about on par with the ZTE MF627)

Both are easy to unlock but you can only "regrade" the ZTE MT627 when you unlock it for free as ZTE don't publish any upgrades or software but the E220 has more options as Huawei publish their firmware updates and software.

Thinking about it, poking around looking for the Hex value 53642C00 after extracting the data with QMat when unlocking the E220 (some hints there for googlers) is marginally tricker than the ZTE "regrade" type of unlock.

Actually speed of making a connection seemed quicker with the E220 but was using UK softare with a new profile for the ZTE so that might be the reason. Both connected with less hassel than the E169G which often needed a reboot after a failed/dropped connection, that might have been a software issue but I don't have a E169G to test with anymore.

HOWEVER when I say the E220 will get a connection when the ZTE will not I'm talking about a very slow dialup speed connection which could never be called broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭maxim

Thanks for all that info ttm. Hubbys now bought a E220 3G from Ebay, now the learning process starts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭ronano

nice

gonna look into it,will be handy for my uk travelling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭funnyname

1. http://www.3dongle4free.co.uk Register for email, total cost delivered to UK £4.95.

I've finally gotten round to doing this and it's now costing £29.99 plus delivery.

D'oh just realised I didn't register for the email so guess that's why I'm being charged, D'oh!!!!!!

funnyname wrote: »
    I've finally gotten round to doing this and it's now costing £29.99 plus delivery.

D'oh just realised I didn't register for the email so guess that's why I'm being charged, D'oh!!!!!!

Have you tried getting out of it under the distance selling regulations?

Posting from UK using free internet!!

Addiditional step:

Buy phone credit in a shop and add the credit in an unlocked phone, not an iphone though.

Add the settings:

dial number *99#
    username: mobileweb
    password: password
    APN: payandgo.o2.co.uk

Also, the €10 for 1 gig deal from 3 PAYG works here also.

Cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Anyone have troubles unlocking the modem?

How do people actually pay for them? I still havent had a chance to order one because they wont accept my credit card and delivery address as they are different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

How do people actually pay for them? I still havent had a chance to order one because they wont accept my credit card and delivery address as they are different?
    I had a mate in the UK order/pay and forward the device on to me.

Random wrote: »
    I had a mate in the UK order/pay and forward the device on to me.

I asked a mate to do it and he thinks its to dodgy and doesnt want it coming back on him

I've tried changing the billing address on my credit card (or is it adding a billing address?)

I've tried an on line credit card but nothing!

Think I'll just buy one at the RRP and go with that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

When I tried to do it first time it didnt go through and they never told me. It had held the amount on my CC though and I called them and had a arguement with them as they swore blind it had not charged. My CC statement still showed the charge. Anyway they sent me these screen snaps to prove it and they have a very nifty fraud detector system and if the name/address and UK postcode and CCV do not match the card then it automatically refuses it.

My Sister did it for me and also had to do ''verified by Visa'' which is like an online chip n pin service. It went through ok with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

I've had the same problem and have given up at this stage. I tried several credit cards including one registered to a UK address with the delivery address at the same address.

Random wrote: »
    Anyone have troubles unlocking the modem?

Are you asking because you are having troubles yourself or just want to know if its easy to unlock?

I thought instructions might have been a bit better (but still 10/10 to the author) and I kept the 3UK software and just created a new profile for 3IRL, otherwise very easy unlock; it does take a while so you're left thinking is this going to work or not for about 15minutes.

One other thing the instructions did state "IF YOU RUN VISTA DO NOT TRY IT, ONLY XP" so if you only have Vista you need to find someone with XP. Perhaps there are other versions of the software flasher which run on Vista but I've not seen one. The XP version I used was called FlashUpdate.exe With file properties, Description: MultiCDMADownLoad Microsoft 基础类应用程序, File Version: 1, 0, 0, 1

Edit> Just in case anyone is wondering what 基础类应用程序 means like I did, Google translate gives 基础类应用程序 = Application Foundation Classes

I flashed mine on Windows 7 with no issues.

It has 2 profiles, one for the 3 PAYG and one for the O2 UK, flip the sims depending on which country I am in.

With regards to them not accepting payment maybe they have stopped doing the deal, I know I ordered another a few days back and it worked fine, UK mainland address with UK mainland CC. Register for the discount email, when you get the code go to the site etc etc.

The whole process from start to finish is not that easy, especially if there is nobody friendly enough in the UK to forward to you but the end result is well worth the hard work.

To have 3g PAYG dongle in Ireland is minimum €69 purchase price then €20 per month, cost of €269 for 10 months out of 12, roaming in UK

This method does it for a price of €124, saving €140, albeit at a max of 1 gig a month for Ireland usage, which is fine for me but not for others I am sure, these people can then use the broadband offer from 3 anyway.

Here is my netconfig.ini, make sure yours says the same, look in the 'C:\Program Files\Globe Visibility Connection Manager' folder for it.

[3 mobile broadband]
    Name=3 mobile broadband
    UserName=
    UserPass=
    DialNum=*99#
    IsAutoGetAPN=0
    APN=3Ireland.ie
    IsAutoGetDNS=1
    MainDNSaddr=
    AltDNSAddr=
    IsAutoGetPDP=1
    pdpAddr=
    pdpType=IP
    AuthType=PAP
    askUserAndPass=0
    SaveuserAndPass=0
    IsFactoryDefault=0
    DeniEditDelete=0
    IsDfault=0
    [o2 uk]
    Name=o2 uk
    UserName=mobileweb
    UserPass=password
    DialNum=*99#
    IsAutoGetAPN=0
    APN=payandgo.o2.co.uk
    IsAutoGetDNS=1
    MainDNSaddr=
    AltDNSAddr=
    IsAutoGetPDP=1
    pdpAddr=
    pdpType=IP
    AuthType=PAP
    askUserAndPass=0
    SaveuserAndPass=1
    IsFactoryDefault=0
    DeniEditDelete=0
    IsDfault=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Spotted this 3 Pay As You Go Mobile Broadband on maplins.co.uk for £20. Afaik they deliver to Ireland.

Not free but should be available for those who don't have someone in the UK willing to pay for the free one etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 LeanMean

Am I right in saying that the €9.99 add-on for 1GB lasting 30 days can be used in the USB dongle?
    Surely they can detect that you are connected using a dongle?

I'm from Scotland and I, like many other UK 3 users have been frustrated by the decision by 3UK to stop 3 like home. The 1GB for 1 month add-on for £10 was perfect for my use.

My dongle4free is on its way and I'll get a 3pay sim as soon as I get to Ireland.

LeanMean wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that the €9.99 add-on for 1GB lasting 30 days can be used in the USB dongle?

Correct, used it this week while Mrs Ch was in Limerick Regional, 3g connection too.
    LeanMean wrote: »
    Surely they can detect that you are connected using a dongle?

You'd think so. I send & receive texts from it whilst it is a dongle though, maybe that fools them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Cheers for all your responses for this thread CH750536. Been a big help.

I'm up and running and this should save me a fair few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

hey, so can i just confirm which sim card you need to use it over here. Am i right in thinkin all ya need is a bog standard pay as ya go sim from 3, like this:

http://www.three.ie/handsets_new/3-sim-only-3pay-white-3pay.htm

stick it in, register it on their website with the 1gig add-on, top it up, and then you're away?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

coyle wrote: »
    hey, so can i just confirm which sim card you need to use it over here. Am i right in thinkin all ya need is a bog standard pay as ya go sim from 3, like this:

http://www.three.ie/handsets_new/3-sim-only-3pay-white-3pay.htm

stick it in, register it on their website with the 1gig add-on, top it up, and then you're away?

Yep. Only thing I would add is that insert the dongle into your PC to allow it to install the 3 software. Then go through the various steps to debrand it. Once you have put in the 3 sim card it automatically picks up the 3 Ireland network once it has been debranded.

Advertisement