Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'll Win The Blue Square UK Open?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

0,,10180~5993453,00.jpg

Nicholson Up For The Battle

PAUL NICHOLSON is eagerly anticipating his clash with Gary Anderson on the opening night of the Blue Square UK Open.

Nicholson, a quarter-finalist in the Ladbrokes.com World Darts Championship at Christmas, has drawn Scottish star Anderson in the plum tie of Thursday's play at the Reebok Stadium, Bolton.

English-born Australian number one Nicholson made a big impression when he burst onto the televised scene last year at the Grand Slam of Darts - where he defeated Anderson 5-4 in the group stage.

He also reached the last eight on his World Championship debut, while former International Darts League and World Darts Trophy winner Anderson has shown his quality in four months since joining the PDC with a Players Championship win, two finals and a nine-darter.

While much of the talk has centred around the size of the task Nicholson faces against Anderson, the 30-year-old insists he is relishing the challenge.

"A lot of people have said to me it's the hardest draw but I see it as a great opportunity," said Nicholson.

"I'm coming off the back of the World Championship five months ago and a decent Grand Slam, where I played Gary, and taking the positives from it.

"I've got him early. When players get into a tournament they tend to play better so it's probably the best time to play Gary - if at all!

"You want to prove yourself against great players and Gary is without a double one of the best in the world.

"For me, it's a great opportunity to get up there, get into the spotlight again, and hopefully get a win."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭Degag

Second Round - Best of 11 legs
    Board One
    Mick McGowan v John Part
    Wayne Mardle v Fitton/Cox
    Paul Nicholson v Gary Anderson
    Dobromyslova/Roberts v Steve Beaton
    Anderson

Board Two
    Kirk Shepherd v Steve Brown
    Nick Fullwell v Andy Smith
    Monaghan/Davie v Wright/Hornby
    Tony Ayres v Cullen/Pipe
    Andy Smith

Board Three
    Martyn Turner v Dave Honey
    Jason Clark v Campbell/Bousfield
    Hardy/Wiekamp v Jan van der Rassel
    Michael Barnard v Steve Maish
    Jason Clark

Board Four
    Matt Clark v Roy/Burnett
    Tony Eccles v Barton/Greebe
    Fatum/Rowley v M Smith/Ladley
    Usher/Durrant v McGuirk/Pickles
    Greebe

Board Five
    Ken Dobson v Paul Knighton
    Welding/Kuczynski v Parody/MaGowan
    Mason/Penney v Riihonen/Grubb
    Colin Monk v Larry Butler
    MaGowan

Board Six
    Adrian Gray v Dave Askew
    Scholten/D Williams v Critchett/Beare
    Smurthwaite/Jodrill v Chris Thompson
    Blundell/Jopling v Kevin Dowling
    Adrian Gray

Board Seven
    Genery/Loudon v Robinson/Cooper
    Wes Newton v Latham/Boulton
    Garfield/Dave Smith v Denis Ovens
    Evans/Layton v Currie/Dolan
    Ovens

Board Eight
    Cook/Langley v Mark Lawrence
    L Williams/Caves v Wayne Atwood
    Mawson/Weaver v Pearce/Haines
    Dennis Smith v Mather/Stephens/Parker
    Mawson

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Board One has some top quality players, gonna be tough to get through that one for Anderson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭ivers57

Lads the boards are randon, there isnt one winner from each board, after all the 2nd round matches the top32 including taylor barney enter the draw and its an open draw.

Anyone know why Jacko Barry isnt in it this year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

ivers57 wrote: »
    Anyone know why Jacko Barry isnt in it this year.

He didn't play enough floor tournaments so didn't earn enough money to qualify.

• Advertisement

Tv line up

Thurs 7pm Day 1 Sky Sports 1/HD1
    Fri 7pm Day 2 Sky Sports 2/HD2
    Sat 1pm Day3 Ses 1 Sky Sports Xtra
    Sat 7pm Day3 Ses 2 Sky Sports 3/HD3
    Sun 1pm Quarter Finals Sky Sports 3/HD3
    Sun 7pm Semis and Final Sky Sports 2/HD2

I put a tenner on Wade at 6/1 and €5 e/w on Osborne at 50/1 today in Paddy Powers (fingers crossed;))!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Double Top

ratinakeg wrote: »
    Tv line up

Thurs 7pm Day 1 Sky Sports 1/HD1
    Fri 7pm Day 2 Sky Sports 2/HD2
    Sat 1pm Day3 Ses 1 Sky Sports Xtra
    Sat 7pm Day3 Ses 2 Sky Sports 3/HD3
    Sun 1pm Quarter Finals Sky Sports 3/HD3
    Sun 7pm Semis and Final Sky Sports 2/HD2

I put a tenner on Wade at 6/1 and €5 e/w on Osborne at 50/1 today in Paddy Powers (fingers crossed;))!

cheers for the times mate. my bro won't be happy:D:D:D:D he hates darts:eek::eek::eek:. get's him back for having to watch hours of LTV

Double Top wrote: »
    cheers for the times mate. my bro won't be happy:D:D:D:D he hates darts:eek::eek::eek:. get's him back for having to watch hours of LTV

I'm happy he's a Liverpool fan, disappointed he's not a darts fan. LFC and darts is the only way for me!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭rag2gar

John Part
    Gary Anderson
    Raymond Van Barneveld
    Colin Osborne

If any of them win the UK Open I will be a very happy man as thats where my money lies ahead of my trip to Bolton tomoroow for four days of darting fun.

Cant wait:)

rag2gar wrote: »
    John Part
    Gary Anderson
    Raymond Van Barneveld
    Colin Osborne

If any of them win the UK Open I will be a very happy man as thats where my money lies ahead of my trip to Bolton tomoroow for four days of darting fun.

Cant wait:)

I hope Osborne wins for both of us then!;):D

• Advertisement

Power aiming to bounce back

World champion hoping to bounce back from Premier League upset

Phil Taylor has conceded that he could struggle to rediscover top form at the Blue Square UK Open.

The 14-time world champion surrendered his Premier League Darts crown last week as he lost to Mervyn King in the semi-finals at Wembley Arena.

He is hoping he can compensate for that loss by winning the UK Open, which runs from Thursday to Sunday at the Reebok Stadium in Bolton, but admits he is not certain of getting straight back into the groove.

"You can't always be in good form and it's difficult," Taylor stated. "I was practising well before I played Mervyn but I didn't seem to hit form.

"It was bugging me because I knew if I could have kicked a little bit then I'd have got him, because he wasn't playing as well as he can.

"But it's one of those things, it's not the end of the world although it's gutting when you get beaten.

"Sometimes you can't always put it right within a week or two and it might take five or six weeks.

"All I can do is get back on the practice board, rest and prepare for Bolton."

Tough

On the face of it Taylor has enjoyed another supremely successful season winning ten of 11 events on the PDC Pro Tour, but the 48-year-old insists it has been one of the hardest of his glittering career.

"This has been the toughest year I've ever played," he continued.

"I was away from Wednesday to Monday nearly every week during the Premier League and maybe I did too much.

"I was winning the tournaments but it took its toll on me. Next year I'll sit back and plan it out - but I'm greedy, and if there's money to be won I chase it!

"I might not do as many as I used to do - I'm 49 this year and you think you can do what you did when you were 20! - but I've got to make sure that my form is right for the events that count."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Caretaker

I think The Dreamboy Gary Anderson will be the 2010 PDC World Champion. Dont think he'll win any of the majors b4 then.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭paulcorr

have to say anderson not in the same class as taylor barney wade just yet but give him another 12 months playing these guys and then we will see if he has it think this could be one step to far king the value bet of the week

paulcorr wrote: »
    have to say anderson not in the same class as taylor barney wade just yet but give him another 12 months playing these guys and then we will see if he has it think this could be one step to far king the value bet of the week

me might not be in the same class but he is a savage floor player and this tourney is right up his street, i think i will be a very close tourney though, wade,talyor,barney and anderson in the semi's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭7mountpleasant

Anyone know where I can get the scores for this, or does anyone know who won between latham and boulton? Match was tonight and i can't find the scores anywhere?

Mick McGowan just beaten 6-3 by John Part. He played well enough but a few sloppy shots cost him. John McGowan got through, I didn't catch Dolans score.

Big shock so far is Mason losing to an unknown player in Round 1. Anastasia hammered 6-2 in Round 1 as well. No other major shocks, maybe Joe Cullen losing to Justin Pipe as big things expected of Cullen.

Mardle against Les Fitton on now then the biggest match of the night, Nicholson against Anderson.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Jay.cymru

is it online?? dodgy box has gone :mad::mad::mad:

Jay.cymru wrote: »
    is it online?? dodgy box has gone :mad::mad::mad:

Sorry mate only saw this now.

Yeah it's always online, just use this link for tomorrow
    http://www.justin.tv/uggla

Great win for Nicholson, he played some great darts and deserved it but I'm disappointed Anderson didn't get through. Really wanted him to do well this weekend.

anderson let me down, think he should change his nickname to nightmare boy:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Declan30

Well my Ten euros didnt last long. With Nicoholson Beating Anderson.

It was a Great game of Darts though and the 132 Finish was brilliant.

He could go far in the Tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭pad180

just have to say ,i was never a fan of nicholson ,always thought his aditude stunk ,very good player but there was something about him i disliked .
    well after last nights peformance and his very kinds words he said about the late tom kirby i have changed the way i feel about him .i was hopeing for anderson to win but he didnt perform the way he can . but for the rest of the tournement ill be keeping a close eye on nicholson fair play to him ..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Third Round Draw & Order of Play (7pm Friday)
    Board One

Michael van Gerwen v Andy Hamilton
    Adrian Lewis v Robert Thornton
    Lee Williams v Phil Taylor
    Peter Manley v James Wade

Board Two
    Denis Ovens v Alan Tabern
    Mark Walsh v Wayne Mardle
    Colin Lloyd v John Part
    Raymond van Barneveld v Ken Dobson

Board Three
    Ronnie Baxter v Tony Eccles
    Barrie Bates v Steve Grubb
    Roland Scholten v Darren Johnson
    Andy Roberts v Louis Blundell

Board Four
    Gary Welding v Steve Hine
    Ken Mather v Paul Nicholson
    Kevin Painter v Dave Askew
    Dennis Priestley v Colin Monk

Board Five
    Mark Dudbridge v Johnny Haines
    Co Stompe v Mark Frost
    Dave Honey v Wes Newton
    Mark Webster v Peter Wright

Board Six
    Colin Osborne v Jason Clark
    Alex Roy v Lionel Sams
    Jan van der Rassel v Jelle Klaasen
    Andy Smith v Chris Cooper

Board Seven
    Steve Dolan v Jamie Caven
    Andy Jenkins v Justin Pipe
    Brendan Dolan v Kevin McDine
    Mervyn King v Michael Barnard

Board Eight
    Vincent van der Voort v Wayne Jones
    Steve Brown v Mark Lawrence
    Paul Rowley v Chris Thompson
    Glen Durrant v Terry Jenkins

Wow there are some cracking ties in the third round! Lewis and Thornton will be an epic, so will MvG and Hamilton. Manley and Wade could be interesting and then some crackers on board 2 as well with Walsh and Mardle and then Lloyd and Part.

Really looking forward to tonight now, just wish i could watch all the matches!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Daffy501

Nicholson interview after his match with Anderson :

He said one reason for wearing a shirt , tie , waistcoat was in memory of Tom Kirby.

I thought this was a nice gesture and that puts him up in my estimation as a decent fella

Anyone agree?

Yeah I thought the same. I didn't really like Nicholson before last night but he has definitely gone up in my estimations after that interview. Not many players would do that and it shows the man has a bit of class.

I'm bored so I'm going to try and predict the winners of the Round 3 matches

Ronnie Baxter v Tony Eccles
    Lee Williams v Phil Taylor
    Gary Welding v Steve Hine
    Mark Dudbridge v Johnny Haines
    Colin Osborne v Jason Clark
    Steve Dolan v Jamie Caven
    Vincent van der Voort v Wayne Jones
    Barrie Bates v Steve Grubb
    Ken Mather v Paul Nicholson
    Co Stompe v Mark Frost
    Mark Walsh v Wayne Mardle
    Alex Roy v Lionel Sams
    Andy Jenkins v Justin Pipe
    Steve Brown v Mark Lawrence
    Raymond van Barneveld v Ken Dobson
    Roland Scholten v Darren Johnson
    Kevin Painter v Dave Askew
    Michael van Gerwen v Andy Hamilton
    Denis Ovens v Alan Tabern
    Colin Lloyd v John Part
    Dave Honey v Wes Newton
    Jan van der Rassel v Jelle Klaasen
    Brendan Dolan v Kevin McDine
    Paul Rowley v Chris Thompson
    Andy Roberts v Louis Blundell
    Dennis Priestley v Colin Monk
    Mark Webster v Peter Wright
    Andy Smith v Chris Cooper
    Peter Manley v James Wade
    Adrian Lewis v Robert Thornton
    Mervyn King v Michael Barnard
    Glen Durrant v Terry Jenkins

I wonder how much an accumulator would get me, gonna check it out now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

Ronnie Baxter v Tony Eccles - Eccles
    Lee Williams v Phil Taylor - Taylor
    Gary Welding v Steve Hine - Welding
    Mark Dudbridge v Johnny Haines - Dudbridge
    Colin Osborne v Jason Clark - Osborne
    Steve Dolan v Jamie Caven - Caven
    Vincent van der Voort v Wayne Jones - Jones
    Barrie Bates v Steve Grubb - Bates
    Ken Mather v Paul Nicholson - Nicholson
    Co Stompe v Mark Frost - Stompe
    Mark Walsh v Wayne Mardle - Mardle
    Alex Roy v Lionel Sams - Roy
    Andy Jenkins v Justin Pipe - Jenkins
    Steve Brown v Mark Lawrence - Brown
    Raymond van Barneveld v Ken Dobson - Barney
    Roland Scholten v Darren Johnson - Scholten
    Kevin Painter v Dave Askew - Painter
    Michael van Gerwen v Andy Hamilton - Hamilton
    Denis Ovens v Alan Tabern - Tabern
    Colin Lloyd v John Part - Part
    Dave Honey v Wes Newton - Newton
    Jan van der Rassel v Jelle Klaasen - Klaasen
    Brendan Dolan v Kevin McDine - McDine
    Paul Rowley v Chris Thompson - ?
    Andy Roberts v Louis Blundell - Blundell (on a good run of form)
    Dennis Priestley v Colin Monk - Priestley
    Mark Webster v Peter Wright - Webster
    Andy Smith v Chris Cooper - Smith
    Peter Manley v James Wade - Wade
    Adrian Lewis v Robert Thornton - Lewis
    Mervyn King v Michael Barnard - King
    Glen Durrant v Terry Jenkins - Jenks

Disappointing night so far for the TV games. Both MvG and Thornton never showed up but you have to give Hamilton and Lewis credit for solid displays. Biggest shock is pub qualifier Ken Mather beating Nicholson. Fair play to the lad. Walsh beating Mardle is no shock but the scoreline was 9-2. Some very good matches off the TV stage which really should have been one the main stage. Baxter and Eccles was always gonna be close and Part v Lloyd is 8-8 at the moment!!

Brendan Dolan 4-3 up at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

Great win for Manley what a game Wade blew it at the end after a cracking 16th leg to win:eek: 9-8 Manley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Jay.cymru

manley is a legend

Advertisement