Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North County Dublin Astronomy Group

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Carl O Beirnes

Ok Lads see you there at 3

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭kiki

Hello,

Only came across the thred this evening definately interested. Im based North of Drog, but would like to hook up with some others who can give me advise etc.
    Have a 9.25" SCT, would like to get to use it more.

Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

Hi Everyone,

A few of us met up in Skerries on Saturday so that we could have a discussion about getting this group kicked off.

Carl, who has posted on here already, has done some groundwork already on getting in touch with Fingal Co. Council with regard to getting funding for a fully fledged astronomy society. There is an application being sent in for funding at the moment. The other benefits of this council backing is that we will have access to a room with modern equipment for presentations etc. when we need it. We will also have our IFAS membership fee covered by this funding if secured. IFAS are being contacted about membership also and an interim committee will be put in place if that's required. We'd hope to get some leeway on that IFAS requirement just for now as the society isn't really in existence quite yet.

I think it will take a few weeks to get through the procedures required to get this up and running.

I want to get an observing session up and running in the next few weeks also. I'm guessing most people here are interested mainly in getting out doing some observing and meeting up. It's far in advance but for now I rpopose August 15th. Saturday in Red Island in Skerries. The evenings will be starting to get longer by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Nice one lads. Fair play to ye!

Sorry I wasn't able to make the meeting. I'll be on my honeymoon until August 19th so won't be able to make the first outing either but best of luck to you all with it. If you have an email list, mine is brianocar att gmail dott com

Cheers,
    Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭kiki

Great Work - Sounds good.
    I pretty sure I come for the session...

email address for mailing
    creid att ouncel dott com

Cheers
    woody

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 dae322

Any news?

dae322 wrote: »
    Any news?

None on the astro soc setup front I'm afraid that I'm aware of myself at the moment. I am planning an observing session in Skerries at Red Island August 16th. though. Weather permitting obviously. I'll post some reminders and further info next week once we all get back from our Bank Holiday weekend! Hope you enjoy the weekend folks whatever you've planned!

Cheers Squonk.

I'd love to tag along. I have a decent enough scope but am crap at using it, would it be ok to come along to pick the brains of the more experienced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

dae322 wrote: »
    Cheers Squonk.

I'd love to tag along. I have a decent enough scope but am crap at using it, would it be ok to come along to pick the brains of the more experienced?

That's the whole point ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

@squonk: I'd love to go on the 16th, but I have a pretty important exam the following morning, so that's a no go.

I probably won't be able to get involved in this one, what with the DCU Astrosoc to look after too.

I would be more than happy to pop along on a free night or something and lend a hand.

Good luck guys! I'll keep my eye on this thread for sure.

• Advertisement

My mistake everyone. The 16th. is a Sunday. I meant the 15th. SATURDAY AUGUST 15TH. so we can be clear :)

Yup, all welcome! Scope/binoculars/no scope/wondering what this astronomy lark is all about... all welcome!

Hope the weather co operates now!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭robk24

darn it, I've missed all up to now, have been very busy but great to see so much happening as we're heading back toward dark skies!!
    unfortunately I'm also away on the 15th but will deffo attend anything that happens after that..

many thanks to squonk and everyone else, brill to see a new group in its formation... long awaited and longer needed!!

Just a reminder to pencil in Saturday in your diaries for a meet up in Skerries at Red Island.

It's hard to know at the moment whether the weather will play ball or not. The next few days aren't looking too good but I'll keep this thread updated because if we have to cancel I want to give people as much notice as I can. Please keep an eye on this thread over the coming days if you're interested in attending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

Hey hoo

Newbie stargazer here. I would be very interested in meeting a few experienced heads, get some tips and ideas on star gazing.
    I'll keep an eye on the thread, hopefully it can go ahead.

Stu.

Hi Guys! I think tomorrow's session is starting to look like the launch of STS-127 i.e. launch failed due to weather. Met Eireann are saying that the afternoon tomorrow will be bright with showers but that it'll cloud up later into the evening and early night with more rain on the way. Right now it's looking like a 70-80% chance that we can't go ahead. If you have other plans for tomorrow then work away because I don't think the weather is going to play ball on this occasion. For those who are interested, I'll make a definitive call on this tomorrow around 6PM so keep an eye on this thread if you are still interested but it's looking less likely. Pity.

Lets put a flag down though on the Saturday nearest the 15th. of each month as a possible meet up date. There's nothing stopping us doing something outside that anyway if the weather picks up. At least if we pick a regular meetup day, then it'll make it less random for us all!

Tomorrow would have been great especially with the perseids being around but that's the way! Flippin weather!

Probably a long shot alright. Pity!

Just in case anyone is thinking along similar lines, I'd like to say I'd be quite happy to turn out at short notice any night things are looking good if I don't have plans made already.

Thanks for taking the lead on this squonk.

Definitely looks like it's going to start clouding over soon enough so I think there's definitely no chance of us getting to do anything tonight. Hope you enjoy your Saturday evening!

Just checked outside there now and it's clear.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

Had a look outside last night as it seemed clear with just intermittent cloud. Brought out binos in case it clouded over as I wasnt brave enough to bring out the scope. Still with 10x50 saw M27 dumbell nebula in velpecula even though it was in a heavily light polluted sky. The Double Double in Lyra, The coathnger cluster cr399.

Not a bad night in all:)

dbran

Yes it was a pity the way the night turned out. I didn't want to bring people out to Skerries on a wild goose chase and from looking at the sattelite images on sat24.com it really didn't look like cloudy skies were that far away at about 4PM. Even outside at 6:30 it looked like high level cloud was on the way. As it turned out no rain turned up at all. I guess you can never be sure really. Sorry to those who were disappointed. I was kicking myself later in the night when the cloud didn't materialise. You just can't bet onthe weather!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

squonk wrote: »
    Yes it was a pity the way the night turned out. I didn't want to bring people out to Skerries on a wild goose chase and from looking at the sattelite images on sat24.com it really didn't look like cloudy skies were that far away at about 4PM. Even outside at 6:30 it looked like high level cloud was on the way. As it turned out no rain turned up at all. I guess you can never be sure really. Sorry to those who were disappointed. I was kicking myself later in the night when the cloud didn't materialise. You just can't bet onthe weather!

You should copy and paste this post to your clipboard, I think in this country you will be using it more than once ;) Never mind, the intent was there and as long as that keeps up success will eventually follow. It will probably be October before I can join you guys due to family commitments. But I will be keeping an eye here anyway. Better luck next time guys!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

Hi

Some good weather sites that I know of are http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/HOME/

There is even an astronomy section if you click on hobbies.

There is also http://www.meteoblue.com/en/

British met office do a good satalite image section and even run a movie over the previous day http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_vis.html

But you just never can tell until you stick your head out the window. It was probobly a good call to call it off though as there was a degree of uncertainty.

Dbran

Hi there,

I was going to give a bit of viewing a try tomorrow evening if it's not overcast. Any takers for a provisional meet? Not sure where the proposed spot is though. If someone could do an accurate version of this map for folks it would be a help.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=111812468238086830711.000471ab8cd79ace7296f

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

See red dot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Hill Billy wrote: »
    See red dot.

Is that out by a beach somewhere Hill Billy ? Must be a dark site ?

Im in Cork so dont know the area at all :)

Wish you good viewing lads

Stargate

Crappy weather. Another bust I'm afraid

I was thinking that with the upturn in the weather at the moment we could have another go at a meetup! How about Friday night, 11 sept. at Red Island in Skerries from about 9? It's getting nice and dark in the evenings now! Let me know if you can make it so we can get an idea of numbers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭robk24

brilliant... sounds great... weather is supposed to be good too...

should deffo make that....

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

I'd like to come along, thanks.

And, in the hope of enticing a few people half thinking about coming, here's a quick 'menu' of what we should be able to see on Friday night (oh God, I sound like David Moore):

- Jupiter (of course) and it's 4 bright moons in a line all on the same side of Jupiter (in the order Io, Europa, Callisto and Ganymede). We may even be able to observe Io disappearing behind Jupiter at about 00:21 according to Stellarium.
    - The moon should be rising right out of the Sea (not literally of course :p) in a lovely big orange semi-circle at about 10:30 and be at a reasonable observing height by midnight.
    - Uranus is lurking around somewhere in between the Moon and Jupiter (again, not literally... don't worry :p). I'll see if I can find it with the binos tonight so as to save us some time on Friday night.
    - The ring nebula (M57) is always a pretty cool sight in any reasonably good telescope.
    - The Andromeda galaxy and the Pleiades open spar cluster will be easily enough found in the East.

Come to think of it, if the weather's good, it seems like the perfect night for astronomy!

Any more additions to to that list? ISS about? LGM?

I'll try and remember to bring my little green laser pointer to make pointing the binos and scopes a bit easier!

Will we be able to park beside where we're setting up the scopes? I might bring my Celestron C-11 but the battery is knackered so I need to plug it into the cigarette lighter in the car! I must warn ye though, I have no idea how to use it. :o

• Advertisement

If it's clear I'll pop down for an hour or so.

Advertisement