Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North County Dublin Astronomy Group

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

This astronomy group sounds pretty cool.
    I got an 8" Dob not so long ago, a fulfillment of a childhood dream really, but aside from some brief observations of the planets I have no idea what to do with it and where to point it, no sniggers please from down the back.
    A group like the one suggested would be just the sort of thing a beginner like me needs, so, would there be space amongst your number for a just started amatuer astronomer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    This astronomy group sounds pretty cool.
    I got an 8" Dob not so long ago, a fulfillment of a childhood dream really, but aside from some brief observations of the planets I have no idea what to do with it and where to point it, no sniggers please from down the back.
    A group like the one suggested would be just the sort of thing a beginner like me needs, so, would there be space amongst your number for a just started amatuer astronomer?

That's the whole point as far as I'm concerned, I have always had an interest as far as books and documentaries are concerned but only recently got a scope and have no clue really about practical astronomy and would be hoping to learn how to use the thing and where to point it also ;), if it is to have any sucess it will welcome all ranges and not be some geek clique! I think everyone who has posted here so far will agree!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 dae322

Hi there,

I'm in Fingal and would be interested in joining up with an astronomy group in the area. I'll keep an eye on the thread.

Cheers

By the way, Carl O'Beirnes was talking about something similar some time ago, not sure if anything ever happened

http://www.irishastronomy.org/cms/forum?func=view&catid=11&id=70737

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 100% recycled

Any movement with this guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

Let's get something going in the next while. I have been busy enough the past few weekends - that's summer for you, BBQ's etc. Maybe one of the Saturday nights in July we could meet up for a start? Maybe around the 18th. July? I don't want to lose the momentum onthsi either myself so it's probably a good idea to just organise a date and do something!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 100% recycled

Whatever date is set, I think it would be a good idea to advertise the date / setting in one of the busier forums here. Just so people with even a tiny interest might come along too :D Would be great to get a big crowd to come along and put AI's events to shame :pac:

Whatever date is set, I think it would be a good idea to advertise the date / setting in one of the busier forums here. Just so people with even a tiny interest might come along too :D Would be great to get a big crowd to come along and put AI's events to shame :pac:

Just get people to put it in their sigs! Then it will be in every forum they post in!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I have sigs turned off so I never see them.
    squonk - Feel free to post the date/time in DCN.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    I have sigs turned off so I never see them.
    squonk - Feel free to post the date/time in DCN.

What!! After all the time and effort I put into mine!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

Hi

Just resurrecting this thread to see if there are any new developments. Seems to have gone a bit quiet.

I understand that the 18th of July was a date that was muted for the first meet up?

Kind Regards

DBran

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Carl O Beirnes

Hi All,
    This is something I had to put on the back burner for a while. A club for north Dublin is something that has to be done. I was onto fingal Co Council regarding funding for a club and got a very positive outcome. They asked me would I change the name to Fingal Astronomy society that stretches from Finglas to Gormanstown.I said if I got funding I would change the name. I also heard from Balbriggan town council that they can offer a room for lectures for a small fee. The room is amazing with all the latest equipment.I have a few friends with the press that will give it a plug. I also have permission form the Co Council to use the Martello Tower area for outreach work providing we have insurance. The Garda would also help with the outreach work.

The thing that didn't happen the last time was I did not have much help with the organization of things A few people from IFAS were willing to give there time. But unfortunately other things happend and I had to put things on hold.

Carl O'Beirnes,
    J09 Balbriggan Observatory.

Hi Carl

Did you have any good idea for a good observing site in North Dublin/Fingal area. Preferable dark site. I guess if we have a meet up, people may naturally volunteer to help.

Regards

Dbran

That is the ease part.There are plenty of dark sites around Baltray is a great dark site.If things get moving we can all meet up and put our heads together.

Carl O'Beirnes,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

The downside for you North Dublin lads is the big Dublin Light dome in your Southern Skies.

Hi Carl

That would be good. I'm free to meet up any time and have a chat. Maybe if other people know whats happening they might show up also.

The moon should be getting out of the way next week 18th so that might be a good time but it dosen't get properly dark until after 12.

Regards

DBran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 dae322

Hi Carl, Sounds like you have made great progress. Happy to help if you need it.

Sounds good alright. I hadn't posted anything on this recently because it was still pretty bright for a meeting and then the weather has been pretty poxy the past while. I was going to suggest Red Island in Skerries for an initial meetup because it's accessible. I guess we can look at getting a meeting going in the next month or so really now that the evenigns will be getting that bit shorter. Hopefuly the weather will be a bit kind!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

Gimme a shout if you do do a meet in Skerries. I live there too and know my way around the constellations, so if you need someone to talk about the constellations or give a brief intro, I'd happily do it.

I think my last post in this thread got largely ignored, but how and ever.

Great. When and Where do you all want to meet up to chat about the club.The more people the better. Let's go people It's time to make this happen.

Carl O'Beirnes,

Ps. Hauk Looks like you got the JOB :>))

How about Saturday at 3PM in the Arabica cafe in Skerries? Just opposite the monument in the town?

• Advertisement

Sounds like a plan!

Great see ya there

Just reminding everyone that we're meeting tomorrow in Skerries in the Arabica Cafe at 3PM to have a chat about gettign this group off the ground. I don't want to put my mobile no. on here but if you mail me at nmcarroll@gmail.com I'll be happy to send it on to you in case you need it.

See you all tomorrow!!

squonk wrote: »
    Just reminding everyone that we're meeting tomorrow in Skerries in the Arabica Cafe at 3PM to have a chat about gettign this group off the ground. I don't want to put my mobile no. on here but if you mail me at nmcarroll@gmail.com I'll be happy to send it on to you in case you need it.

See you all tomorrow!!

I haven't commented on this thread for a bit as personal commitments are taking up most of my time at the moment, I am however definately interested in this even if I might not be able to be involved from the start. Squonk I will pm you my email addy so you can keep me informed if you don't mind!

Hi

How far is this from the train station. Thanks to a white van not looking where it was going last weekend i am without a car until next week:mad:

Regards

DB

It's between 5 and 10 mins depnding on how fast you're going! Come out of the station road, turn left, and continue allt he way straight, don't take any sideroads. When you see the monument, Arabica is just onthe corner facing it on your left.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

@ dbran - It is around 10 to 15 minutes walk.
    Come out of the station & go down to the main road (Dublin Road) & turn left towards the town center.
    Keep going straight ahead until you get to the Monument on Strand Street.
    Keane's Bus Bar is on the right hand corner & Arabica Cafe is beside you on the left.

@ Squonk - I would normally be back home on a Saturday, but am in Switzerland working this weekend & can't attend. Can you update the thread or drop me a PM with how things go tomorrow? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

I'll try and make it tomorrow. Sorry I can't promise because the missus is dragging me along to a wedding venue open day tomorrow and I'm not sure if I'll be able to escape in time!

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

@Dr Pepper: Can you imagine the 'scope you could buy with the money that'll go on this wedding! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

They don't make scopes that big! :P

:(

Advertisement