Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thank God

Options
  • 22-05-2009 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭

There is very little in this world that gets my goat more than people thanking God for something.

I was reading the Praise The Lord thread over on Christianity a month or so back, and this poor woman fell ill to cancer. She pulled through, which is great (it's a terrible disease and the sooner it's cured, in all it's forms, the better)
    But then she started thanking god for pulling her through, not her own determination to live, not medical science, not her family's support.

No, she thanks the cloud man, the same guy who won't save kids from starvation in Africa, the same who causes earth-quakes to knock schools and hospitals.

I nearly broke my keyboard.

Words fail me when this happens...

Maybe I'm overreacting it's a definite possibility, but damn, it just gets me...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it's an incredibly arrogant thing to think about yourself, but I think it's rare enough for religion to be arrogant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

but I think it's rare enough for religion to be arrogant.

Is my sarcasm detector broken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

No, she thanks the cloud man, the same guy who won't save kids from starvation in Africa, the same who causes earth-quakes to knock schools and hospitals.

You sound very angry at this male deity you're imagining. It's humans causing the kids to starve and building rigid structures on fault lines is a pretty dumb idea tbh.

O'Coonassa wrote: »
    You sound very angry at this male deity you're imagining. It's humans causing the kids to starve and building rigid structures on fault lines is a pretty dumb idea tbh.

I know that.

But religious peeps think God can do anything, so why can't he stop these things?

And stop with the de-genderising of the Christian God. He is male, the good book says so (And that can't be wrong).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I know that.

But religious peeps think God can do anything, so why can't he stop these things?

And stop with the de-genderising of the Christian God. He is male, the good book says so (And that can't be wrong).

And why did he give her cancer in the first place :confused:

Thanking god for curing someone's cancer is like thanking someone for taking their knife away from your throat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    And why did he give her cancer in the first place :confused:

Probably to "teach her the value of life" or some other such cop-out, inevitably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

There is very little in this world that gets my goat more than people thanking God for something.

I was reading the Praise The Lord thread over on Christianity a month or so back, and this poor woman fell ill to cancer. She pulled through, which is great (it's a terrible disease and the sooner it's cured, in all it's forms, the better)
    But then she started thanking god for pulling her through, not her own determination to live, not medical science, not her family's support.

I nearly broke my keyboard.

Words fail me when this happens, I really just white out at peoples ignorance.

Maybe I'm overreacting it's a definite possibility, but damn, it just gets me...

Slow day?

Give her a break. It's an absolutely devastating illness that instills absolute fear into those who are both directly and indirectly effected by it. It is a true feat whenever cancer is cured so she has the right to be delighted. And she has the right to thank whoever she wants.

And besides, how do you know that she didn't weep at the feet of her doctor (s)? How do you know that she doesn't feel forever indebted for the support given to her from those around her? Just because she went into a thread that's specifically for "thanking the lord", that doesn't mean she has dismissed the role of "medical science" or her family in her cancer being cured.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

liah wrote: »
    Probably to "teach her the value of life" or some other such cop-out, inevitably.

It's even more of a cop out than that. It's usually "god works in mysterious ways"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I wouldn't react with annoyance at these kind of comments but they are insanely hypocritical. When someone good happens, its "Thank God for saving us" when something bad happens its "God doesn't interfere, he gave us free will and waits until we die to judge us" or something along them lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

She can thank who she wants.

"God" is too broad a term to box into the idea of a "little cloud man". The only understanding most people who rail against God have is that of the Judeo-Christian version.

Personally, I thank Buddha for all the good things in my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

I saw a documentary about 911. Survivors were thanking God for saving them or their family members from the disaster. So... this means that God deliberately killed all the other people, no? Sounds like quite a judgemental God to me.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    And she has the right to thank whoever she wants.

It shows ignorance and a lack of respect. Doctors cured her not God.
    And besides, how do you know that she didn't weep at the feet of her doctor (s)? How do you know that she doesn't feel forever indebted for the support given to her from those around her? Just because she went into a thread that's specifically for "thanking the lord", that doesn't mean she has dismissed the role of "medical science" or her family in her cancer being cured.

Because she said Doctors said she has X amount of time left, but then she pulls through and it's God what done it. She thanked God, not something that actually helped.

I just used her as an example, I'm pretty sure she will be pissed if we continue to do so.

It shows ignorance and a lack of respect. Doctors cured her not God.

Well...........
    Because she said Doctors said she has X amount of time left,

I'm not saying she is right, but you can understand where she is coming from no? Doctors told her that it was over and she only had a certain amount of weeks left but she then pulls through in stark contrast to what she was told. You cannot blame her for thinking an intervention had happened. If you still can't understand where she is coming from then you are being willfully ignorant.

I just used her as an example, I'm pretty sure she will be pissed if we continue to do so.

You shouldn't have made a thread for the sole purpose of insulting her so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yes it is quite the joke

Well...........

I'm not saying she is right, but you can understand where she is coming from no? Doctors told her that it was over and she only had a certain amount of weeks left but she then pulls through in stark contrast to what she was told. You cannot blame her for thinking an intervention had happened. If you still can't understand where she is coming from then you are being willfully ignorant.
    I get where she was coming from, I just don't get why.
    You shouldn't have made a thread for the sole purpose of insulting her so.

You misunderstand the thread if that is what you think. This is about people thanking god, she was just an example that stuck out in my mind, a friend is recovering from chemo right now, he doesn't feel the need to insult his doctors skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

You misunderstand the thread if that is what you think. This is about people thanking god, she was just an example that stuck out in my mind, a friend is recovering from chemo right now, he doesn't feel the need to insult his doctors skills.

I think you misunderstand the point. One moment you are pretending to be concerned, 'she will be p!ssed off if we keep talking about her', but you have already insulted her. You did not have to bring up someones actual scenario if you did not want to, and your point would have remained.

I get where she was coming from, I just don't get why.

I'm sure that it's a terrifying situation to not only be diagnosed with cancer, but also to be told that it's terminal. Look at it from her point of view; not only did it seem like the doctors had given up on saving her but she also had to reconcile with the reality of the situation, that she would have to say goodbye to her loved ones while suffering an indignified death. But then she was cured, in defiance to what her doctors had predicted and was given a new lease of life. It is quite frankly a modern day miracle (I'm not religious, I've seen doctors use that one themselves after being stumped by a recovery). That's why she believed that an intervention had occured.

You misunderstand the thread if that is what you think.

You could have made your point without referring to a poster and dismissing her belief.
    This is about people thanking god, she was just an example that stuck out in my mind, a friend is recovering from chemo right now, he doesn't feel the need to insult his doctors skills.

I don't believe that just because she thanked the "Lord" that she is automatically dismissing her doctors' contribution. Or showing an ignorance or a lack of respect towards them. And even if she did "insult" her doctors by not paying homage to them, I wouldn't blame her, they did tell her that she was as good as dead after all!

JimiTime wrote: »
    I think you misunderstand the point. One moment you are pretending to be concerned, 'she will be p!ssed off if we keep talking about her', but you have already insulted her. You did not have to bring up someones actual scenario if you did not want to, and your point would have remained.

Oh right, because I couldn't possibly be actually concerned for another human being.

Real scenarios hold much more weight than made up ones. If you want to make a strong point, don't weaken it unnecessarily.

I may have insulted her, I accept that, but if she didn't want to take the chance of people referencing her story, it shouldn't be on the internet. Now I'm calling an end to any more insults (real or imagined), a better option than continuing to talk about a very difficult time in her life, no?

Pre-emptive: "Better to not have brought it up at all." Refer to second paragraph.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Naz_st

That reasoning, and the topic in general, kind of reminded of one of the callers into the Atheist Experience (cable access tv show in texas, they have a youtube channel that's worth a visit):

I'm sure that it's a terrifying situation to not only be diagnosed with cancer, but also to be told that it's terminal. Look at it from her point of view; not only did it seem like the doctors had given up on saving her but she also had to reconcile with the reality of the situation, that she would have to say goodbye to her loved ones while suffering an indignified death. But then she was cured, in defiance to what her doctors had predicted and was given a new lease of life. It is quite frankly a modern day miracle (I'm not religious, I've seen doctors use that one themselves after being stumped by a recovery). That's why she believed that an intervention had occured.

When you're told you're going to die, do you curl up and accept it as Gods will?
    **** no! You fight, and you fight with everything you have, I'll be damned if I every see one of my family give up and wait for death.
    Find new doctors, find new treatments. **** the expense and to hell with whoever says to stop. I will not be leaving this life unless there is absolutely no way to stay, I hold the same for everyone I know.
    With my last breath I will thank everyone who has helped me, not some indifferent, yet somehow loving and caring God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

I get what you're saying OP and I agree. I hate to see it in other aspects of people's lives too, "I thank God for having a wonderful family, job etc". it really is disheartening to see people not giving the real thanks to themselves for their own achievements in that kinda instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

It does get to me some times but I never usually mention it as people who tend to thank God a lot or think he is actively guiding them and answering their prayers obviously have a lot of emotional investment in this belief. Sometimes it is all they have holding them on the lip of a deep pit of depression.

Plus, I guarantee everyone here who thinks people praying for God to help them do not have perspective are hypocrites. Humans inherently lack perspective, we exist, myself included, in our own little microcosm for the majority. When bad things happen to us that is all we see. We get angry about minor hiccups, we get sad and depressed about fleeting trials, it is part of the human experience. I make a point of always stopping and thinking "it can always be worse"

So if someone takes solace in praying I let them without mention, there are a sight more injurious actions being committed by organized religion in this world that need to be stamped out before we start taking exception with the individuals who have a personal need for a being to keep them emotionally stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

It is right to give Him thanks and praise.

It'd be better to give him a P45.

So if someone takes solace in praying I let them without mention, there are a sight more injurious actions being committed by organized religion in this world that need to be stamped out before we start taking exception with the individuals who have a personal need for a being to keep them emotionally stable.

Which is why it's here and I'm not in court for trying to beat sense into some people.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Yes, it is a logical fallacy to thank the God who allowed you to get cancer, for curing it.

But that woman probably took a lot of solace in her religion while she fought the disease, so it's only natural that she'd be thankful. And as LZ5by5 suggests, there's nothing to suggest she isn't eternally grateful to her doctors as well.

People who actually do die of cancer thanking God would be worth talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Oh right, because I couldn't possibly be actually concerned for another human being.
    Well, how could you? You are an atheist so why would you possibly feel the need to be concerned about another human?

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I've been to hospital more than once in a life threatening situation and survived. It annoyed me when someone would say to me "You should thank God that you pulled through". I'd be more inclined to thank the staff at the hospital for saving my life and nursing me back to health, not to mention my physition(sp?) who identified my illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Real scenarios hold much more weight than made up ones. If you want to make a strong point, don't weaken it unnecessarily.

I may have insulted her, I accept that, but if she didn't want to take the chance of people referencing her story, it shouldn't be on the internet. Now I'm calling an end to any more insults (real or imagined), a better option than continuing to talk about a very difficult time in her life, no?

Pre-emptive: "Better to not have brought it up at all." Refer to second paragraph.

Again, you misunderstand. By all means bring up this personal story to add weight to you point. Thats your perogative. Don't then pretend you are concerned that she might be p!ssed off though. You get what I'm saying? You are either concerned about talking about her and leave the personal side of your point out, 'Or', You realise its personal but go ahead anyway to make your point. The point being, once you've progressed with your thread, it seems a bit hypocritical to then express your concern that she may get p!ssed off about you talking about her.

JimiTime wrote: »
    Again, you misunderstand. By all means bring up this personal story to add weight to you point. Thats your perogative. Don't then pretend you are concerned that she might be p!ssed off though. You get what I'm saying? You are either concerned about talking about her and leave the personal side of your point out, 'Or', You realise its personal but go ahead anyway to make your point. The point being, once you've progressed with your thread, it seems a bit hypocritical to then express your concern that she may get p!ssed off about you talking about her.

Or I only really intended for it to be used as an example in my first post, but then it got re-used a little more than I though was respectful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

OneArt wrote: »
    Personally, I thank Buddha for all the good things in my life.

I thank myself (but I do attempt to blame other for all the bad things).

Advertisement