Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Lidl/Aldi Sat box info

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Vmaxer

I got one in Balbriggan at 11 this morning, leaving 1 left on the shelf..

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

I was in Lidl in Monaghan town on Saturday afternoon and asked if there were any sat systems left and the guy who worked there said they had a pallet load that didnt sell, so they were all wrapped up and ready to be sent to another Lidl store where thy would sell easier. I found this quite strange.Im sure if they had been left on show they would sell no problem..:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Vmaxer

Vas_Guy wrote:
    I got mine working and found Astra 28.2 Degree East and i've just one query, I can get all pre programmed station, BBCs, ITVs, etc Film Four, True Movies are not on the list and as they are FTA is it possible to tune it in on the receiver?

I have My reciever set up a couple of Days now and if You do an Auto scan on astra 28.2 it will get all available channels, do an auto scan for Free channels. When the list is up to date I find the handiest way of looking for a channel is to go into List and press 3 for FIND and do a search for channels that way. I eventually get round to setting up a favourites list though.. Next step for Me is to set up a DiSEqC Switch so I can run a couple of dishes off the same feed..

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭craze7

i have one of these lidl sats and its workin grand, got it about a year ago and have it tuned to astra28 east.

i just deleted all the programed channels on the decorder and then did a scan from scratch it will only pick up the channels that have a signal. then go to channel grouping and sort by fta, that way all the scrambled channels will be at the end of the list.

and yeat true movies 1 and 2 are on it, also reality 1 and 2, channel u, vault, fizz, film4 1 and 2, bbc's,htv's and loads of other stuff!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

craze7 wrote:
    i have one of these lidl sats and its workin grand, got it about a year ago and have it tuned to astra28 east.

i just deleted all the programed channels on the decorder and then did a scan from scratch it will only pick up the channels that have a signal. then go to channel grouping and sort by fta, that way all the scrambled channels will be at the end of the list.

and yeat true movies 1 and 2 are on it, also reality 1 and 2, channel u, vault, fizz, film4 1 and 2, bbc's,htv's and loads of other stuff!!!

Yep the comag receiver is good enough, I like it one thing I dislike is how it doesn’t have certain other satellites pre-programmed in, however I found away around this and when I scanned Telecom 2D @8°; West, I had to scan it under the title 19° East. I have also noticed when you press "List" you will see all the channels and the encrypted ones have the $ sign before them eg. $Sky Sports, it is handy to quickly differentiate from the FTA and non FTA channels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

Hubbie bought satellite and satellite finder. Not having much luck tuning it in. Signal wont go higher than 38% and the line above it stays at 10%-11% after moving the dish about. Keeps coming up "No Signal". Anyone got any basic instructions on how to tune it in as satellites are not his strong point!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

sandyg wrote:
    Hubbie bought satellite and satellite finder. Not having much luck tuning it in. Signal wont go higher than 38% and the line above it stays at 10%-11% after moving the dish about. Keeps coming up "No Signal". Anyone got any basic instructions on how to tune it in as satellites are not his strong point!!

I've no experience with satellites as well, but I found this website very useful: http://www.irishsilicon.com/archives/000311.html

http://www.irishsilicon.com/archives/2005/09/lidl_satellite.html

Basically mount it on a south facing wall of your house.

Connect the sat finder and turn on the receiver to say BBC 1 or any preset station.

Then aim the dish in a south easterly direction and set the angle to between 22-23 degrees and if no signal appears adjust it slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Revived45

I was installing the LIDL silvercrest system and had difficulties receiving any staellite. Signal strength remained in low 30s. Turned the LNB by 90 degrees and got 80% signal quality and strength. Reurned LNB to its correct position (cables at bottom) and had 33% signal regardless of dish position. Dish assembly looks right. Could the LNB have been manufactured incorrecctly or have I made some blatant error. For the moment i have left the LNB at 90 degrees and will cover the cables unless i get some better advice. It is woking fine but would appreciate some comment from other members of the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Thats great info, any idea who owns that site as i'd like to get link permission?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Trevord

Thought it was watty's site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Tony wrote:
    Thats great info, any idea who owns that site as i'd like to get link permission?

It is Byte's site. (the name is a bit of a givaway...)

However it is the last bastion of ICDG live content now that these forums are non-hosted.

Byte donated the space and bandwidth and various posters helped put up info after I configured the wiki a bit after Byte installed it.

Mine is
    http://www.wattystuff.net/tiki/tiki-index.php

(Again the name is a clue...)

wattystuff.net = watty
    bytelive.com = byte

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Tony wrote:
    Well, I host it and installed it, and Watty done some cosmetic work and amongst others filled the content.

What permission do you mean by link permission? If you wanna link to the wiki from your site, then by all means :D (btw, http://icdg.bytelive.com is the handy sub-domain)

byte wrote:
    Well, I host it and installed it, and Watty done some cosmetic work and amongst others filled the content.

What permission do you mean by link permission? If you wanna link to the wiki from your site, then by all means :D (btw, http://icdg.bytelive.com is the handy sub-domain)

Thanks, by link permission i just mean asking you if its ok to link to your site. I think its important to do this as your google rank could be hurt if you get a link from a site with unrelated content.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I wouldn't call a site selling sat gear unrelated.

watty wrote:
    I wouldn't call a site selling sat gear unrelated.

Its not but i think asking for permission is a good way to go nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭bryanbal

hi all
    im unable to get a signal. using the earpiece at certain points the beebing is high pitched but signal still at 11%.i have the vertical angle at 22 degrees. if the beebing is increaseing does that mean that my wires are connected correctly. please help ive followed everyones tips but still nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭patto_chan

bryanbal wrote:
    hi all
    im unable to get a signal. using the earpiece at certain points the beebing is high pitched but signal still at 11%.i have the vertical angle at 22 degrees. if the beebing is increaseing does that mean that my wires are connected correctly. please help ive followed everyones tips but still nothing.

As well as elevation and azimuth angles you may also need to rotate the LNB slightly clockwise for east satellites. Refer to links in other posts.

I played around with this system last night. It's the first time I've tried a satellite set-up by myself.
    While adjusting the dish on a temporary stand I looked in through the window at the TV. I found it was very, very sensitive to elevation and azimuth angle. I found looking at the TV more useful than the sat detector. Frequently without any noticeable change in output from the sat detector the TV screen flipped from 'no signal' to a clear picture.
    I only succeeded in locating the 19E sat (German channels) and even then only at 11% signal quality. Will spend some time at it this weekend in order to tune in to 28E (UK channels).
    For the sake of comparison I connected the Lidl set-top box to my 6yr old (out-of-contract) Sky dish and found it was aligned with signal quality of 73%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 AIM

kkennedy wrote:
    The older Comag SL55 that lidl did a few years back did tent to overheat and the Power supply would blow( is easily repaired with a few components and a soldering iron). Dont know if its the same with the SliverCrest SL65.

What components did you have to replace? My pwr supply has just packed up and I need some details on how to repair. Tnx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 irishair100

if any 1 from co meath / galway / co louth /wood like me to setup ther satellite system call me no xxxxxxxxx from 10am to 8pm,
    have setup 3 so far all working a.o.k,
    [ed by Mod: No advertising. Against the rules.
    You can PM someone asking for help.

Not a good idea to put your phone number except in PM (Private Message). Use Private messages at top of page or Java menu (if it works ) on the user avatar/name.]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

I cant see any comment/reply on this (Ill put my glasses on later) so I will just say it is unusual though not impossible. It is possible though unlikely that it could be manufactured with the components mounted at 90 inside. (then we have all heard how good Chinese* quality control can be when left to their own surface mounted devices)
    I do also recall one installer mention here that he had come across a lnb that had the connections to the side. Not so good for water resistancy so taping up is a must.
    Do check though that you are getting both horizontal and vertical signals in case one is gone.
    But if it works, it works.
    Revived45 wrote:
    I was installing the LIDL silvercrest system and had difficulties receiving any staellite. Signal strength remained in low 30s. Turned the LNB by 90 degrees and got 80% signal quality and strength. Reurned LNB to its correct position (cables at bottom) and had 33% signal regardless of dish position. Dish assembly looks right. Could the LNB have been manufactured incorrecctly or have I made some blatant error. For the moment i have left the LNB at 90 degrees and will cover the cables unless i get some better advice. It is woking fine but would appreciate some comment from other members of the forum.

I mention Chinese above as these receivers are almost definitely manufactured in China, well Taiwan, well Republic of China(Taiwan)..

Comag and Siemsson are German import/distribution companies used by Lidl, Aldi and Maplins among others for supply of electronic goods. It is unlikely that they ever manufactured anything, most of their products are rebadged Far Eastern manufactured
    Silvercrest is a brand name used by Comag/Lidl (not sure who owns it) Lidl otherwise usually use Median on their rebrands, Tevion is the Siemsson/Aldi brand.
    AFAIK the current SL65 like the mini SL65/12 come from Taiwanese manufacturer Goodmind Industries
    Firmware by Suresoft, chips by ALI.
    Beko may be rebranded as Silvercrest but it also a brandname from a huge Turkish manufacturer Arçelik (not kidding) (They also own Thomson brand.) Mostly white goods but various other electronics including sat receivers and TVs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Off topic, but I didn't know that Arçelik owned the Thomson brand. However, it seems they do. Also of note, Arçelik is controlled by the Koç Group! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,603 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I set one of these up for a neighbour today.
    Best i could get for Astra 28.2e was
    93% Signal Strength and ~75-80% Signal Quality after tweaking it .
    Is that good or should it be higher ?

hi yes the singnal intensity is 100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Jasin

Hi Guys,

I am newbie based on limerick, installed the lidl sat system and I couldn't able to locate any of the sat. But I found the ARM TV channel. My signal strength always shows 14db, all the time. The audio sat finder seems to be useless, got audio tone all the time. I just move the dish position, slightly south east direction, but not rotating the LNB. Do I need to rotate this aswell to get good signal strength. What could be wrong with my installation? Please Help.

Also, the cable come with lidl system is RG6.? Would this be a better cable and suitable for Sat operation? Also, The lidl LNB called as universal LNB, It has two outputs.? Do I need the Disqui switch for this to operate? If So, Could I get the Disq Switch for four and leave the two open for future lnb add on. With this unversal LNB Could I get two adjecent satellites?

I need to locate Hotbird 7A, also 28E UK channels (BBC's & UTV & Film Four),
    also local national channels.

Regarding the F connector (crimp tool for the button type F connector Plug, I don't like the screw type F plug...) What Stuff Do I need to get from satellite .ie?

Thanks
    Jasin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Info on satellite aligning can be found in stickies.
    I think you have to take more time and patience in setting up your dish, it is not easy the first time you do it. Lnb rotation (skew) shouldnt be a big issue on stronger signals, get your dish aligned to a strong signal first, then adjust skew if picture is breaking up.
    Not sure what the ARM channel is, did you get a picture? If you got any picture then you must have been pointed at a satellite.
    If you are getting same signal strength wherever then that effectively means no satellite signal, there should be a clear increase in signal to show you are pointed at a satellite. Same with the meter, you should hear a change in tone if it is a beeper type, and if it is adjustable type with lights or scale, then turn it down to just below point where you hear a tone, then when you are on a satellite you should hear a sound as signal increases.
    The 2 outputs on the lnb are for 2 separate receivers. Diseqc is for separate lnbs connected to one receiver. You do not need one of these if you only have one lnb. Universal here just indicates the standard lnb used for digital satellite reception. For receiving different satellites (in different orbits) you need separate lnbs.
    You have everything you need for receiving one satellite at a time.
    Start with Astra2 28 as it may have strongest signal. You may need a bigger dish for Hotbird 7 (see lyngsat.com)
    You wont receive local national channels on satellite without a subscription to Sky. Use a terrestial aerial instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Jasin

Thanks Watty. ARM TV is an Armenien TV(www.armtv.com).Haven't checked the meter when tuning this. I did manual scan, and found only this channel. with clear picture & voice. It sounds like that I am pointing to the satellite.

Hotbird 7A, I am using the 80cm lidl dish, would it be sufficent enough for the 50-51dbW?

I'll re-tune the dish again for ASTRA 28E.

Thanks
    Jasin.

hi all il but my mob on my web site on friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ballistix35am

Hey, does anybody have any ideas how to get this silvercrest thing working, I just bought one but cant get any channels on it. I've hooked it all up and used the small sat detector that comes with it, it says if you have an audible sound its found the satellite but when i go to the receiver theres no channels. I've done a scan for channels and still nothing. The receiver says that there is 74% signal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Hey, does anybody have any ideas how to get this silvercrest thing working, I just bought one but cant get any channels on it. I've hooked it all up and used the small sat detector that comes with it, it says if you have an audible sound its found the satellite but when i go to the receiver theres no channels. I've done a scan for channels and still nothing. The receiver says that there is 74% signal

You HAVE read through the thread haven't you???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭christo82

Are you sure the Signal Quality is 74%, it has to be the 'Quality' indicator not the 'Intensity' one. And also, the sat finder does emit a constant buzz; it has to to be a very high pitched squeal for it to have found a satellite. Are you sure you're on the correct preset satellite on the receiver, ie Astra 28.2Deg.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement