Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(23 years on)Search for Philip Cairns to continue for third day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Rabies wrote: »
    A case like this should be left to rest. Let the family grieve and try to live their lives. Bringing it back up again just brings up the memories.

The family will be happy to lay it all to rest once they know what happened to him and have the chane to bury him properly and start to grieve.

IMO, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Rabies wrote: »
    A case like this should be left to rest. Let the family grieve and try to live their lives. Bringing it back up again just brings up the memories.

I couldn't disagree more, when a child is taken like this (or loosing a child in any way for that matter) the memories will always be there and the family will never completely get over it. The child isn't going to be brought back but having some closure will help them move on with their lives. I'd imagine that in most of these cases its actually the family pushing to continue the investigation that brings to light evidence 20 years later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Jesus1222

Degsy wrote: »
    No they dont.
    They know damn well what happened to her and they're in a much more ebullient mood because they know they've gotten away with it.
    The pair of those chancers make me sick.

Your constantly negative & aggressive posts makes me sick tbh. I see your posts all the time. They didn't kill her.

I think if it happened today the Gardaí would solve it without any problem. We're lucky to have such a fantastic police force, as much as we like to complain about them.

Unfortunately, with the length of time that has passed the soulless bastard who is responsible is likely to be an old man or possibly dead. You could assume though that he's extremely likely to be local, to have seen the boy in the area regularly prior to the abduction and to have some history of offences. Assuming he dumped the bag in the area he clearly has knowledge of the area. I'd say the culprit has been looked at by the Gardaí in a list of suspects but unfortunately, apart from the schoolbag, there is no evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭techno-allah

Such a terrible tradegy.

I don't think the dig will bring up anything to be honest. It was all before my time but I went to the same school he went to so I grew up with teachers talking about their experiences of it all.

Must be horrific for the parents to have to go through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

I think that one was in Ballyshannon.The Girl was walking through the fields with her uncle and he turned around to call to her and she was gone.She was never found.:confused:

Yeah i was watching it last year on tv.Her siblings where walking with her and ran ahead.And she vanished:confused:

Latchy wrote: »
    I have good reason to remember this because I was working In Marley park Rathfarnham , with Dublin Co Council at the time and we were trimming the trees branches in the area.We were on his road and opposite the lane were his scoolbag was found ,the day after his disappearance .

Really that must have been very hard thing to be around.Was there volunteer searches with the residents.I dont remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

Maybe he has an account on boards :o.

barbiegirl wrote: »
    There are rumours that a guy who was caught trying to rape and strangle a woman about 5 years ago, I think on the Dublin mountains, is responsible for the disppeared women. He was put away for that, with an extremely long sentence for one provable crime. But it is only speculation and there is no firm evidence, just lots of circumstantial.

As to Philip Cairns. I remember the disappearance, and my parents talking to us about strangers and stuff. Fingers crossed this search will turn up something and maybe even lead to who ever did this.

Isnt that guy who had her wrapped in plastic bags,But because they have no bodies of the other women,they have no dna or evidence to tie him to anything.
    Only one of three things its him or he is dead who did these things or he has moved countries.As there hasnt been anyother women disappearing.

With the school bag i think looks like a taunting to the garda,Like i have him and you cant find him,i am right under your noses,and who ever it was laughed away.:(

The thing about disappearances and murders of people and children in the west of ireland is the remoteness of the region works in favor of the kiddnapper /murderer .I remember there was a serious of disappearances of women in the 80s around the dublin area ,including one american womon which led police and the general public to believe their was a serilal killer at large .As far as I am aware, none of these women or their remains have ever being found. One suggestion and possibility had it that they are buried in the Dublin mountains .

Yeah see that kinda bothers me a little,They knew whereabouts jojo dollard was.Did they not take sniffer dogs out.I mean the search was in my eyes very laid back.

Do they have sniffer dogs out there at that golf course now.Or are they digging willy nilly.
    Someone i was talking to today said they got a tip off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

and someone who has feared the knock on the door for 23 years might have their day in court..

the St. Enda's park beside where this 11 year vanished from has been a very quiet park for a long time

shqipshume wrote: »
    Yeah see that kinda bothers me a little,They knew whereabouts jojo dollard was.Did they not take sniffer dogs out.I mean the search was in my eyes very laid back.

I believe, if there is a serial killer, he is serving a long term sentence for an abduction sentence. They can't prove anything though.

Do they have sniffer dogs out there at that gold course now.Or are they digging willy nilly.

They're going over old ground. They have searched there before but they're searching again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Maybe he has an account on boards :o.

Its posts like this that drop the tone of the odd serious thread that crops in AH.

and someone who has feared the knock on the door for 23 years might have their day in court..

the St. Enda's park beside where this 11 year vanished from has been a very quiet park for a long time

Lets hope they get that knock on the door.
    I read and old woman came forward saying she remembers the plot of land been freshly dug when he disappeared,what on earth took someone that long to come forward.And it also says after they searched, the old womans family came to the garda again to extend the search another 50 meteres.How bizzare is that.They seem very sure.:confused:

Lets hope they get that knock on the door.
    I read and old woman came forward saying she remembers the plot of land been freshly dug when he disappeared,what on earth took someone that long to come forward.And it also says after they searched, the old womans family came to the garda again to extend the search another 50 meteres.How bizzare is that.They seem very sure.:confused:

She came forward at the time, I think. I read somewhere that this is due to a review of all the evidence gathered at the time, not due to a new tip off, contrary to some media reports. Although maybe the Gardaí are trying to spook somebody they have in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

No they dont.
    They know damn well what happened to her and they're in a much more ebullient mood because they know they've gotten away with it.
    The pair of those chancers make me sick.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jesus1222 wrote: »
    She came forward at the time, I think. I read somewhere that this is due to a review of all the evidence gathered at the time, not due to a new tip off, contrary to some media reports. Although maybe the Gardaí are trying to spook somebody they have in mind.

Oh right thanks.They do know how to confuse people in the media.You could be right trying to spook someone.
    I do hope that they at long last get the answers.
    I read the sisters joined a organisation for missing children.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Hope the family gets some closure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I believe, if there is a serial killer, he is serving a long term sentence for an abduction sentence. They can't prove anything though

Just one serial killer yeah?
    I personally know of somebody who's in jail for murdering somebody a couple of months after he got released form a prison sentence for rape.
    And you dont get a "long sentence for an abduction sentence" no matter how many episodes of CSi you watch.
    Without a confession or a corpse they have very little chance of ever finding the numerous people who have vanished,presumed murdered in the country.

Here's an interesting website
    http://www.missing.ws/

I personally know of somebody who's in jail for murdering somebody a couple of months after he got released form a prison sentence for rape.
    And you dont get a "long sentence for an abduction sentence" no matter how many episodes of CSi you watch.

More aggressive posting. It was a case which involved abduction, violent assault and rape.

• Advertisement

More aggressive posting. It was a case which involved abduction, violent assault and rape.

So what was the "long sentence for abduction sentence"?
    The case i'm referring to aggresively(apparantly) is here..

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/the-unsolved-mysteries-of-the-dark-and-lonely-dublin-mountains-137345.html

The blokes name is Phillip Colgan,he was in my school.

So what was the "long sentence for abduction sentence"?
    The case i'm referring to aggresively(apparantly) is here..

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/the-unsolved-mysteries-of-the-dark-and-lonely-dublin-mountains-137345.html

The blokes name is Phillip Colgan,he was in my school.

I'm not going to name suspected serial killers. I used "abduction" instead of "abduction, violent assault and rape" to this end.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make naming your school acquiantance.

Just one serial killer yeah?
    Without a confession or a corpse they have very little chance of ever finding the numerous people who have vanished,presumed murdered in the country.

Here's an interesting website
    http://www.missing.ws/

In that link there is Rory Aherne who went missing two years previous to Philip.
    Does anyone think it is possible like they say about this case that Philip cairns went missing on his own accord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Really that must have been very hard thing to be around.Was there volunteer searches with the residents.I dont remember.
    I think there was but eveywere in the invstagation drew a blank .I remember the complete sadness around the area and the whole country after at the time .

Actually it reminds me a bit like the ongoing case in england at the moement in which a girl in early 30s has gone missing ,just vanished of the face of the earth on her way to work at a local school .Her purse with money ,credit cards ID etc were all on the table at home and nothing out of the ordinary seemed out of place .No witness's however, cctv footage has shown two men acting around her home a few hrs prior to her dissapearence .

I think there was but eveywere in the invstagation drew a blank .I remember the complete sadness around the area and the whole country after at the time .

Actually it reminds me a bit like the ongoing case in england at the moement in which a girl in early 30s has gone missing ,just vanished of the face of the earth on her way to work at a local school .Her purse with money ,credit cards ID etc were all on the table at home and nothing out of the ordinary seemed out of place .No witness's however, cctv footage has shown two men acting around her home a few hrs prior to her dissapearence .

I always think about Philip cairns it never left my thoughts.And the other case of the murdered boy in rathcoole back in 70's i was only about 6 or 7 if even and still something i will never forget.I didn't know he was actually murdered until i was an adult cause parents hid it from us.

Its so bizarre when in times when people are around and buzzing to and from different places like school work etc.. People just vanish and no one sees anything happen.

I'm not going to name suspected serial killers. I used "abduction" instead of "abduction, violent assault and rape" to this end.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make naming your school acquiantance.

You were trying to make out that there's a serial killer doing time for something else (although you cant name him for some reason).
    I'm telling you there's far more than one,including somebody i know.
    Had he not been caught he'd have killed more people IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I would love to see an outcome for Philip's family, so they could lay him to rest and move on properly because I am sure they still wonder to this day what happened.
    It really does scare me to think of all the young people that went missing and that there were no clues left for the police to go on.

Do they have sniffer dogs out there at that gold course now.Or are they digging willy nilly.
    Not sure . I think in the case of some foreign women who come to ireland they fall into ,or fell into ,the trap of thinking they were so safe in 'friendly little ireland ' and assume everybody ,specially in the rural areas are nice and friendly . Remember the swiss girl in Galway a year or two ago and I seem to recall a french girl being murdered over that way back about 10 years ago .

Does anyone think it is possible like they say about this case that Philip cairns went missing on his own accord.

If kids wander off of or go off in a huff they usually turn up of thier own accord.
    In this case i think he was abducted and murdered inside 24 hours.

• Advertisement

I always think about Philip cairns it never left my thoughts.And the other case of the murdered boy in rathcoole back in 70's i was only about 6 or 7 if even and still something i will never forget.I didn't know he was actually murdered until i was an adult cause parents hid it from us.

Its so bizarre when in times when people are around and buzzing to and from different places like school work etc.. People just vanish and no one sees anything happen.
    Yeah ,I still see his picture in my head after all this time .It's so Bizzare how people just vanish .At least knowing what happened to the dissapeared and were their remains might be ,would bring some comfort to familys .

Advertisement