Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Points

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Was suprised to see that science is the biggest increase number-wise, although it may have to do with the amount of science courses that branch off into secondary level teaching

And with the increased amount of people who applied for medicine cos of the hpat, who will have science as their second choice, well alot of them anyway :)

amacachi wrote: »
    I don't think it's all that fair to give out about people only doing medicine to have successful, well-paying careers.

coming from someone who has finished college and is now working, there is a reason your teachers tell you to do something you want to do..

as far as college goes, even a single module within a course can become the bane of your life if you don't like it. nevermind your whole course being like that. and medicine is so tough, long and bloody that if you don't like it, you wont last the 6 or 7 years.

as far as working goes, if you end up doing something you don't like, you're fuked. i know a fully qualified pharmacist doing a music course right now cause she finds pharmacy so boring.

i'm only 21 and i've already seen how this is true.. i'm just lucky i find fund accounting interesting.

edit: as for the money factor, i'm on less that 30k a year right now cause i'm still junior. hardly much in comparison to some jobs but you'd be surprised how far it goes.. i have my dream car, share a nice gaff, drink when i want and buy clothes when i want. you don't need 100k a year to be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭HotP0pp3r

For medicine? Really? Or do you mean the garda vetting thing?

I heard there was one for medicine with these new rules

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭HotP0pp3r

Was suprised to see that science is the biggest increase number-wise, although it may have to do with the amount of science courses that branch off into secondary level teaching

People would have picked Science as it is a gate way to medicine, also that field is rapidly changeing so it would also be very interesting

HotP0pp3r wrote: »
    im using medicine as an example, mainly because of the L.C Points drop and the fact that the applications have increased for medicine

Points "dropped", applications "increased". Oxymoron? Logic would suggest that if applications have increased as rapidly as you imply, then points would increase (that is, of course, if the points that the applicants achieve are as high as medicine students typically attain).

And, as far as I know, points haven't dropped - how do you know they've dropped anyway? Point requirements won't be out until August. Superficially it may appear that they have dropped, but, I believe, it will be as hard as ever to get into medicine.
    HotP0pp3r wrote: »
    People would have picked Science as it is a gate way to medicine

Not everything revolves around medicine, don't you know that?
    also that field is rapidly changeing so it would also be very interesting

I'd guess that's more of a reason than people wanting to use it to get into medicine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

I don't get why it's so popular either? I'd say some people to only go for it because it's so prestiguos and they want everyone to know how smart they are

Yes and the money is a HUGE attraction 2

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

OneArt wrote: »
    I don't understand why medicine is so popular. I couldn't think of anything more disgusting than having to deal with other peoples' bodies. It makes me sick.

If it's popular then so be it. It's a choice and if people have done well in their LC and get the points for it then I say go for it. It's not going to tickle everyone's fancy but then that's the same about everything really.

OP you shouldn't really concern yourself about what others are choosing to do but just think about yourself. Just make sure you get the course you want and enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

Anthony16 wrote: »
    Yes and the money is a HUGE attraction 2

Not really, if people are smart enough to have medicine as a realistic hope, then they would surely realise that law, psychology, pharmacy and even business can make as much/more money than a doctor down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

just to go back on one point on this thread -there are NO interviews for undergraduate medicine and there are NO plans ever to introduce them.
    Most important is to do something you ENJOY!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Points "dropped", applications "increased". Oxymoron? Logic would suggest that if applications have increased as rapidly as you imply, then points would increase (that is, of course, if the points that the applicants achieve are as high as medicine students typically attain).

And, as far as I know, points haven't dropped - how do you know they've dropped anyway? Point requirements won't be out until August. Superficially it may appear that they have dropped, but, I believe, it will be as hard as ever to get into medicine.

Not everything revolves around medicine, don't you know that?

I'd guess that's more of a reason than people wanting to use it to get into medicine.

No need to get personal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Pharmacy points are going to drop like a tonne of bricks in all the 3 universities.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

I'm hopin to do Philosophy wit Russian in Trinity or any of the coarses I put down wit Russian (altho I really hope to not get bus!)

Advertisement