Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Points

Options
  • 14-05-2009 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Im just curious to what course people are aiming for mainly in college after they have completed their leaving cert. I am guessing that a lot are trying to get medicine, but am i right. Is medicine everyones number one course choice??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

No, of course not.Not everyone who scores highly points-wise will want to do medicine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭li@mo

HotP0pp3r wrote: »
    Im just curious to what course people are aiming for mainly in college after they have completed their leaving cert. I am guessing that a lot are trying to get medicine, but am i right. Is medicine everyones number one course choice??

Of all the courses available.....hundreds and hundreds of them..........why do you think everyone first choice would be medicine?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭HotP0pp3r

No, of course not.Not everyone who scores highly points-wise will want to do medicine.

No but the points for medicine have been lowered and theres probably more people applying, not just the high scorers

anyone who goes for medicine just cause it's high points and good money is a complete and utter eejit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

No but the points for medicine have been lowered and theres probably more people applying, not just the high scorers

The points have not been lowered, they are now combined with an additional examination, but there is also a bit of tweaking once points get very high, i.e. 600 points is worth 560 when it comes to applying for medicine.

The general belief amongst a lot of people that the points have actually been lowered (which in itself is impossible with the CAO system), is probably the cause for the increase in applicants.

I would think that it will be no easier to get into medicine this year than it has ever been, it is still the same quality of student applying for the same number of places (Were new places added in NUIG?)

For the record, I don't want to do medicine, as I would make a woeful doctor, in case I sound all wound up about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

anyone who goes for medicine just cause it's high points and good money is a complete and utter eejit.

I absolutely HATE it when people assume that because im pretty good in school i should automatically go for medicine. I'm applying for medicine, but it has nothing to do with points or money, and if i was a C or D standard student I'd say it would still be the course i'd love, if not somewhat less achievable.

A fella in my year who would be more or less a straight A student is going for teaching....the amount of people, including teachers, who have been like "WHAT??? why arent you going for medicine???" is just ridiculous :eek:
    Des23 wrote: »
    I would think that it will be no easier to get into medicine this year than it has ever been, it is still the same quality of student applying for the same number of places (Were new places added in NUIG?)

I think there has been, theres about 90 for next year, i think it was 60 or 70 last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I don't understand why medicine is so popular. I couldn't think of anything more disgusting than having to deal with other peoples' bodies. It makes me sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I don't get why it's so popular either? I'd say some people to only go for it because it's so prestiguos and they want everyone to know how smart they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I'm going for it because I'm not the kind of person who is ever going to really enjoy life, so I may as well try and help others enjoy theirs.

^ that's a bit pessimistic!

• Advertisement

^ that's a bit pessimistic!

Yeah well, if you were me then you might have a better idea of what I'm like. :P The fact I'm planning on living through college is me on a high. :P

:(

amacachi wrote: »
    Yeah well, if you were me then you might have a better idea of what I'm like. :P The fact I'm planning on living through college is me on a high. :P

:eek:

get help.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

i'm going for business in dcu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Does any1 have any stats on the amount of people applied to what type of courses. Someone posted it a while ago but I cant find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    Does any1 have any stats on the amount of people applied to what type of courses. Someone posted it a while ago but I cant find it.
    http://www2.cao.ie/dir_report/pdf/AppStats01Feb2009.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

Its weird that the numbers don't even vary that much between each year for courses..theyre will always be the majortiy doing arts & business and so forth..

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

ya it is very odd. the recession does not seem to have affected things hugely, obviously engineering and the built enviroment stuff is down, but like some of our teachers were saying teaching will go up hugely becasue people will look for a good state job and pension! but apparently not!

li@mo wrote: »
    Of all the courses available.....hundreds and hundreds of them..........why do you think everyone first choice would be medicine?

Because i know that medicine is very competitive and now with the recession, there will be a great deal of competition to get into good courses
    The points have not been lowered, they are now combined with an additional examination, but there is also a bit of tweaking once points get very high, i.e. 600 points is worth 560 when it comes to applying for medicine.

The general belief amongst a lot of people that the points have actually been lowered (which in itself is impossible with the CAO system), is probably the cause for the increase in applicants.

For the record, I don't want to do medicine, as I would make a woeful doctor, in case I sound all wound up about it.

Ive heard all about the point tweeking and the Hpat test and the interview, and i believe that there will be a big increase in applicants because of the point drop, i believe it will be easier to get in, not for everybody, such as the socially retarded, but for those people who have a good personality have the desire to be a doctor but also it evens out the playing field, and not just those tarts who got the points and want to do medicine because of the money will get in but now it gives a wider variety of people a better chance, such as the people who are out to truly connect and engage and use this opportunity to make a real difference in peoples lives

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Because i know that medicine is very competitive and now with the recession, there will be a great deal of competition to get into good courses

There are other good courses ya know.

• Advertisement

There are other good courses ya know.

Theres lots of great courses out there that are really competitive e.g LAW, im using medicine as an example, mainly because of the L.C Points drop and the fact that the applications have increased for medicine and science this year more then any other course. So stop telling me that there are lots of other courses out there, i ****ing know

I don't think it's all that fair to give out about people only doing medicine to have successful, well-paying careers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

amacachi wrote: »
    I don't think it's all that fair to give out about people only doing medicine to have successful, well-paying careers.

successful and well-paying are not necessarily linked

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭nurse23

ya it is very odd. the recession does not seem to have affected things hugely, obviously engineering and the built enviroment stuff is down, but like some of our teachers were saying teaching will go up hugely becasue people will look for a good state job and pension! but apparently not!
    I think thats probably due to the fact that its as hard to get a teaching job or nursing job or other so called safe choices in the current climate. i qualified last may and was lucky to get a job at the right time but with all the cutbacks i know most temporary staff and even permanent staff are worried sick due to service cuts and closures and id imagine its the same with teaching jobs etc! that said at least with nursing, medicine and teaching and similar type courses when you get your degree you are qualifed to go straight into a job and there are more oppurtunities for work abroad. a lot of my friends spent 3/4 years doing arts and business type courses but were still not qualified for anything inparticular so i would have assumed that the more traditional type courses would have been more popular this year. that said i know a lot of nursing student openings have been reduced a good bit which is ridiculous but anyway!!!!! i feel for everyone making the cao choices tis year it must be really hard to figure out whats the best option!! but best advice is to do somethin you'll really enjoy and have an interest in because if you just go for what you'll think is a safe option you'll hate it and be no good at it anyway. a lot can happen in a few years so hopefully there will be more job oppurtunities for all in the future!! best of luck everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

Ive heard all about the point tweeking and the Hpat test and the interview

Which Universities have an interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Yeah, I was wondering that myself......

UCD and TCD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Aiming for about 415 and mite just scrap my first choice Bus with Russian TCD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

UCD and TCD

For medicine? Really? Or do you mean the garda vetting thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭KarlNedCarew

Was suprised to see that science is the biggest increase number-wise, although it may have to do with the amount of science courses that branch off into secondary level teaching

Advertisement