Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

A Smit Machine is not "squatting equipment". It's a machine that allows you to mimic an actual squat.

If you want to squat use a free barbell.

That's what I've been doing, but only when I have a spotter. They don't have any other rack other than the Smith machine. I know this machine doesn't follow the natural movement you'd have with a free barbell, but is it an ok substitution if you don't really have an alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭marathonic

boogle wrote: »
    That's what I've been doing, but only when I have a spotter. They don't have any other rack other than the Smith machine. I know this machine doesn't follow the natural movement you'd have with a free barbell, but is it an ok substitution if you don't really have an alternative?

My gym doesn't even have the squat rack - just smith machines. I've avoided them so far and just use a dumbbell held to my chest. The dumbbells only go up to 40kg which I'm using at the moment.

In the next week or two, I'm going to have to figure out how to progress - maybe two dumbbells or a couple of the plates from the smith machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

marathonic wrote: »
    My gym doesn't even have the squat rack - just smith machines. I've avoided them so far and just use a dumbbell held to my chest. The dumbbells only go up to 40kg which I'm using at the moment.

In the next week or two, I'm going to have to figure out how to progress - maybe two dumbbells or a couple of the plates from the smith machine.

I don't think I could hold that weight up with my arms, I like to get my shoulders in under it. Why do so many gyms have these machines? Are they afraid of people squashing themselves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Mass hysteria IMO. Smiths are more expensive, there's less profit and bonus on a rack. Its people believing the hype and not trusting the staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Jack3d comedown here i come, choo choo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

I don't think I could hold that weight up with my arms, I like to get my shoulders in under it. Why do so many gyms have these machines? Are they afraid of people squashing themselves?

I can never understand how any gym could figure how a smith machine is a safer option(Im presuming theres some supposed safety/insurance reason why some gyms only have smith machines), if you get into bother you cant dump the bar away from you and if you try it could very easily smack you in the back.

Moral of the story, never do low rep max sets on a smith

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gymsoldier

gymsoldier wrote: »
    Any idea's where to get sunbed goggles in Dublin?
    Id like to just walk in and get them, rather then buy online.

Probably a stupid question, but I'm asking because I genuinely don't know; Closing your eyes in the sunbed in the absence of no UV goggles. Even though your eyes are closed, can damage still be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Mauricmo

Is there an app for any of the stronglifts programmes? would be handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Very Excite!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

Mauricmo wrote: »
    Is there an app for any of the stronglifts programmes? would be handy.

Liftbook for android

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I think there are better alternatives.

A goblet squat as the other poster mentioned
    1001-goblet-squat-483x300.jpg

Or if there is a barbell you can use, power clean and front squat.

When I was a member of Jackie Skellys in Swords, I usesd to use the dip station as a squat rack, not great but still better than a smit machine.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Very Excite!

?

they/them/theirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

?

New shoes on the way <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

New shoes on the way <3

im gonna cut the post man off.....my dog needs some new shoes to chew on :p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tigger wrote: »
    how much weight have you trusted to that?
    About 80kg, there would be massive forces involved if you are dropping a loaded bar, I never planned on dumping it, just resting it on the last rep if I got in trouble. You can get really heavy duty webbing traps though.
    gymsoldier wrote: »
    Probably a stupid question, but I'm asking because I genuinely don't know; Closing your eyes in the sunbed in the absence of no UV goggles. Even though your eyes are closed, can damage still be done?
    I think it will do damage, this case in the UK a girl go eye damage.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/goggles-essential-for-sunbed-users-1805455.html

Your eye lids are pretty thin so I imagine some light gets in, you see people using coins on the beach. I have sunbed goggles (got them on ebay) and they are much darker than UV goggles I use in work around welding equipment. I have a UVB light to treat a skin condition so need the goggles.

New shoes on the way <3

panasenko-inna-highheels-obsession.jpg

....................I think you're wathcing too much sex and the city

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Try single leg work instead. It will be a while before you outgrow the dumbbells then

A few irish homebrew companies are selling 1kg bags of 100% dextrose for ~€1.90

There is one in rathmines you can walk into, some are only online, typically €4-6 postage.

it is sometimes just called "brewing sugar", if it does not say 100% dextrose/glucose you might want to email them, years ago one or 2 types were a mix of glucose & sucrose.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

rubadub wrote: »
    A few irish homebrew companies are selling 1kg bags of 100% dextrose for ~€1.90

There is one in rathmines you can walk into, some are only online, typically €4-6 postage.

it is sometimes just called "brewing sugar", if it does not say 100% dextrose/glucose you might want to email them, years ago one or 2 types were a mix of glucose & sucrose.
    What's the name of this place? Might try and pick up some at weekend.

Shop open, 92 Lower Rathmines rd, Dublin 6

http://www.mybeerandwine.ie/product_info.php?products_id=198

This is another in mountmellick that you can walk into

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_92&products_id=251

I think this crowd below have the cheapest postage 3.95

http://www.homebrew.ie/brewing-sugar-1kg.html

Some will also have maltodextrin, could be under other names, like "body brew"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Just do these, no exercise in the world brings the pain like this one... even just body weight for 30-50 reps each leg is torture, people will stare but its cool, just make sure your balance is decent before you add weights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZlodHgCipk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Molly wrote: »

Fuuuuuuuuuuck my shoulders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Not everyday you get to see a new world record. Yesterday's highland games in Naas.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gymsoldier

What do we all think?

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/610/50_Caliber_Training.aspx
    By the end of the first two weeks of this program, if you’re doing it right, you will . . .

1. Lose strength
    2. Lose muscle
    3. Be chronically overtrained
    4. Experience aching tendons and joints
    5. Be brutally sore (and train right through it)
    6. Experience depression

Some sort of strength show on in firhouse tonight

http://victory.ie/viewer.php

they were on tv3, not much to see, he bends a steel rod and rolls a frying pan
    http://www.tv3.ie/ireland_am.php?video=37939&locID=1.65.74

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Westcoast Thugs

i hate this thread can it be closed for a few weeks ? all pointless + stupid question and vids

Not sure how all of you are supposed to be big when you here aka sitting 24/7 writing crap I wonder do anybody take advice that you gave ? i doubt it very much :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

i hate this thread can it be closed for a few weeks ? all pointless + stupid question and vids

or you could just GTFO..?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Parsley wrote: »
    or you could just GTFO..?

ya!

you really told him buddy!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement