Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To the children living in Campus Res

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭*shadow*

cocoa wrote: »
    You've got a point, but would you really trust campus res as it currently exists to implement a fair system? The one advantage of the lottery is that it insures there won't be preference given where it is unfair to do so. I'm leaving campus for good at the end of the year but from my past two years experience, I wouldn't be expecting the best results...

No your right I don't trust campus res to do anything correctly.

I just don't feel the lottery system works, thats just my opinion, They dont even take into account where you live in the country and they say that's because they don't want to discriminate on the basis of location which is *****, they still are..someone living 5 hours from Dublin should be given preference over someone an hour away. Or at least if they wont do that they could have left it like it was in first year where it was done on a first come first served basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

*shadow* wrote: »
    No your right I don't trust campus res to do anything correctly.

I just don't feel the lottery system works, thats just my opinion, They dont even take into account where you live in the country and they say that's because they don't want to discriminate on the basis of location which is *****, they still are..someone living 5 hours from Dublin should be given preference over someone an hour away. Or at least if they wont do that they could have left it like it was in first year where it was done on a first come first served basis.

why? There is not a shortage of accommodation, no one living 5 hours away is going to commute, they'll just have to find other accommodation, which won't be that hard. Why should they be given preference for one specific type of accommodation? Seems unfair to me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭*shadow*

riemann wrote: »
    Outburst? Yeah I'm the one overreacting. Who wants to introduce mandatory attendance for all courses in DCU?

I was merely expressing my opinion, it's not law so you can take a very DEEP breath and CHILL out;)
    The world revolves around the sun

REALLY?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

*shadow* wrote: »
    The world revolves around the sun

REALLY?:eek:

If your going to quote someone the least you can do is quote them in full. In most forums, partial quotes or selective quoting will result in disciplinary action being taken although I wont hold by breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Partial quotes of a humorous and non-insulting nature are perfectly fine. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,171 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

gizmo wrote: »
    Partial quotes of a humorous and insulting nature are perfectly fine. :)

Ok...!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

gizmo wrote: »
    Partial quotes of an insulting nature are perfectly fine. :)

Good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

To me, the majority are. Sober people have manners when returning, ofter being those in the group telling drunks to be quiet etc....

That's fine, but that's still not what I said.

My original point stands either way. If anyone didn't expect this kind of behaviour at a campus accomodation in a busy university, you've come to the wrong place. If you want to do something about it, help out with any drink awareness campaigns, but don't go picking on all campus res students because of the actions of a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

for those of you concerned about noise and misuse of alcohol i suggest ye move to a more sober friendly campus, such as corrib village in Galway - at rag week:P:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 doyler32

Hey I never thought of using the intercom! Roll on Semester 1! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

stainluss wrote: »
    for those of you concerned about noise and misuse of alcohol i suggest ye move to a more sober friendly campus, such as corrib village in Galway - at rag week:P:D
    we can all get locked then cant we, take drunken photos and put them up on facebook too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 journolol

T33D-OFF wrote: »
    Hello Children,

Thank you for once again pissing off the powers that be. Your constant noise, messiness and general immaturity has brought another sanction upon all of us.

This time it is something so simple as the use of intercoms after 12pm - always handy if friends are calling up or if you have locked yourself out.
    It may seem like an easy thing to live with but after a while of living on the top floor and having to go up and down the stairs to let people in, I am sure it would get annoying.

I understand why Campus Res had to stop the use of the intercoms after 12 and hence why I am writing this fairly angry message to you.

I think I can sum it all up in a few points:
    • Keep the noise down - you don't need to be roaring your head off coming in after the deadly night in Quinns/Bondi/[Insert Hip Nightclub here]
    • Just because you love the new Rhianna song, doesn't mean that everyone else does - and it definitely doesn't mean that everyone wants to hear it at half 3 in the morning
    • Grow up - you are in college now, in 1/2/3 years you will be fully fledged adults. You are only making life harder for all of us with the **** that you continually do. I understand that maybe you haven't grown up with intercoms but that is no reason to act the maggot with them...
    You are all the same people who will be complaining about security not letting your friends in - but if this is how you will act, why should they?

T33D-OFF

I've lived on campus in DCU for 2 years now. I've been woken up by the intercoms on manys an occasion. And then they disabled them. And then, if my friends wanted to get into my flat, they rang my phone. And then I let them in.

It's not a big deal. AND i've lived on the top floor for 2 years. So quit your whinging, get a few tins in and lets go to Quinns. And maybe sing some Rihanna on the way!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Rosstafarian

Shut up you pack of wingers!

This is college. The vast majority of people drink "too much" and are loud coming home. Some call it having a laugh or "enjoying yourself". Most of these same people want to, and will, do well in their course. Also, unlike the little babies on this forum, they are willing to get on with it when others are noisy.

I actually can't believe that this has to be spelled out for the people on this...drinking and loud parties are the most inevitable things in college..and the most fun. Stop taking yourself so seriously like. You might just realise that you are not smarter and more mature than everyone else in the world.

There's nothing that gets to me more than people trying to drag everything down to their pathetic boring level just to make themselves feel more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭john.needham

Shut up you pack of wingers!
    Nice way to start an point.
    Most of these same people want to, and will, do well in their course. Also, unlike the little babies on this forum, they are willing to get on with it when others are noisy.
    Nice assumption. My own experience would suggest that while that may be true for 3ry and 4th year, maybe in 2nd year, this isn't true in first year. Many people are fast heading towards dropping out and towards the end of the year stop caring and are most definitely not willing to "get on with it", unless "it" involves drinking.
    I actually can't believe that this has to be spelled out for the people on this...drinking and loud parties are the most inevitable things in college..and the most fun.
    While yes, nights out are fun, if you think that's the most fun to be had in college your missing out on an awful lot.
    There's nothing that gets to me more than people trying to drag everything down to their pathetic boring level just to make themselves feel more important.
    As has been said several times in this (quite old) thread, wanting a decent nights sleep sometimes, does not make you boring.

Nice way to start an point.
    Nice assumption. My own experience would suggest that while that may be true for 3ry and 4th year, maybe in 2nd year, this isn't true in first year. Many people are fast heading towards dropping out and towards the end of the year stop caring and are most definitely not willing to "get on with it", unless "it" involves drinking.

While yes, nights out are fun, if you think that's the most fun to be had in college your missing out on an awful lot.

As has been said several times in this (quite old) thread, wanting a decent nights sleep sometimes, does not make you boring.

OK so John...I'd actually love to meet you and find a perfect student (obviously goes to every lecture) who only ever drinks in moderation and always has the common sense and consideration to keep noise to a minimum at all times even when you might be a little drunk which would rarely happen anyway. You're obviously an expert on having fun too and I'd love for you to give me more advice on that.

A decent night sleep sometimes? So you never get any sleep due to the drunken disgraces to humanity staggering and shouting and spitting at you threw your window? Nights are so long aren't they.
    How did you get to be so brilliant?

Feel free to post another condescending, pedantic and patronising reply cos I can't get enough of those on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

OK so John...I'd actually love to meet you and find a perfect student (obviously goes to every lecture) who only ever drinks in moderation and always has the common sense and consideration to keep noise to a minimum at all times even when you might be a little drunk which would rarely happen anyway.

Your entire argument, in both this post and the last one is based on extremes and huge generalisations. It's nice you think large groups of people all act the same and moderation doesn't exist, but it hardly does much for the discussion here...
    A decent night sleep sometimes? So you never get any sleep due to the drunken disgraces to humanity staggering and shouting and spitting at you threw your window? Nights are so long aren't they.

more extrapolating to an extreme, excellent...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

I actually can't believe that this has to be spelled out for the people on this...drinking and loud parties are the most inevitable things in college..and the most fun. Stop taking yourself so seriously like. You might just realise that you are not smarter and more mature than everyone else in the world.

Hmm... Firstly, this is your personal opinion that drinking and loud parties are the most fun. I fail to comprehend what enjoyment could be derived from simply being loud, but I guess thats for you to explain.

Also, does one require a state of intoxication in order to enjoy alcohol? I, along with many others in my year (2nd year), enjoy having a few drinks and deciding to ease off when I see myself heading in the wrong direction. In other words, I know when its no longer worth it. Sadly, most Irish teenagers need alcohol to express themselves to the point where they will have a big hello for someone they wouldnt otherwise talk to, no need to delve into that any more, we all know this.

And on the issue of maturity? Well, please fight your corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭john.needham

Im no perfect student by any means, but I do try to have "common sense and consideration to keep noise to a minimum", its just polite, being drunk doesn't mean you have to be an ass to everyone, people often get that confused.

And my point was that people in first year, and since this thread is about Larkfield then it is first years, can struggle with getting the balance between social life and studies right, after that people seem to do better. Those who do find themselves failing by the end of the year can take the social thing (imo) too far, then that can become a disruption.

Ah don't mind the legal stuff man...Ya have to do it properly if at all!;)

Look, I was making extreme generalisations on purpose to get my point across. I thought that was obvious enough. I'm not a loud or obnoxious drunk myself and to be completely honest, I never had trouble sleeping in Larkfield due to people making noise. Maybe you did and that's fine. But don't make mountains out of molehills.

And maturity is fine but sometimes you oversell it a small bit.
    Live and let live.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

I've been out of DCU two years now and I still find I miss it... mostly the lie-ons, schoolnight beer runs and the Redbrick chatroom though. The assignments and deadlines they can keep!

Anyways during my 4 years there were always problems with Campus Res: Mostly it was the organization of the place. Especially the fact that they can walk into any apartment whenever they feel like it. As a result I never lived on Res, it always struck me as some sort of Nazi-run fun camp. No thanks!

So anyway I think one of the main issues here is that the people running Res (and the college in general) are too authoritative. I reckon if they relaxed the reins a bit things on res would be better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement