Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To the children living in Campus Res

Options
  • 08-05-2009 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hello Children,

Thank you for once again pissing off the powers that be. Your constant noise, messiness and general immaturity has brought another sanction upon all of us.

This time it is something so simple as the use of intercoms after 12pm - always handy if friends are calling up or if you have locked yourself out.
    It may seem like an easy thing to live with but after a while of living on the top floor and having to go up and down the stairs to let people in, I am sure it would get annoying.

I understand why Campus Res had to stop the use of the intercoms after 12 and hence why I am writing this fairly angry message to you.

I think I can sum it all up in a few points:
    • Keep the noise down - you don't need to be roaring your head off coming in after the deadly night in Quinns/Bondi/[Insert Hip Nightclub here]
    • Just because you love the new Rhianna song, doesn't mean that everyone else does - and it definitely doesn't mean that everyone wants to hear it at half 3 in the morning
    • Grow up - you are in college now, in 1/2/3 years you will be fully fledged adults. You are only making life harder for all of us with the **** that you continually do. I understand that maybe you haven't grown up with intercoms but that is no reason to act the maggot with them...
    You are all the same people who will be complaining about security not letting your friends in - but if this is how you will act, why should they?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

How about you go print out what you just wrote here and poster it up around res, that way your message will actually reach it's target audience.

Also this blows, I was just thinking it would be so awesome to get wasted and sing Umbrella-ella-ella through the intercom at 4 in the morning, rats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

T33D-OFF wrote: »
    Hello Children,

Thank you for once again pissing off the powers that be. Your constant noise, messiness and general immaturity has brought another sanction upon all of us.

This time it is something so simple as the use of intercoms after 12pm - always handy if friends are calling up or if you have locked yourself out.
    It may seem like an easy thing to live with but after a while of living on the top floor and having to go up and down the stairs to let people in, I am sure it would get annoying.

I understand why Campus Res had to stop the use of the intercoms after 12 and hence why I am writing this fairly angry message to you.

I think I can sum it all up in a few points:
    • Keep the noise down - you don't need to be roaring your head off coming in after the deadly night in Quinns/Bondi/[Insert Hip Nightclub here]
    • Just because you love the new Rhianna song, doesn't mean that everyone else does - and it definitely doesn't mean that everyone wants to hear it at half 3 in the morning
    • Grow up - you are in college now, in 1/2/3 years you will be fully fledged adults. You are only making life harder for all of us with the **** that you continually do. I understand that maybe you haven't grown up with intercoms but that is no reason to act the maggot with them...
    You are all the same people who will be complaining about security not letting your friends in - but if this is how you will act, why should they?

Welcome to college :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,184 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Welcome to college :)

Welcome to daycare!!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DemocAnarchis

robby^5 wrote: »
    How about you go print out what you just wrote here and spin on it

FYP :)

OP, get over yourself. Oh boo hoo, you have to walk all the way downstairs to let someone in.

Grow up? Theres a difference between maturing and being a dry ****e. College students in rowdy drunken shocker, people come to college to learn but also to have fun. Every campus is the same, if you don't like it find some similarly minded people to move in with off campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Raoul

OP, get over yourself. Oh boo hoo, you have to walk all the way downstairs to let someone in.

Grow up? Theres a difference between maturing and being a dry ****e. College students in rowdy drunken shocker, people come to college to learn but also to have fun. Every campus is the same, if you don't like it find some similarly minded people to move in with off campus.

Well said :D.

It is a crap sanction though. Ahwell!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭tolteq

• Grow up - you are in college now, in 1/2/3 years you will be fully fledged adults.

dont think so mate. most of the "adult" students in dcu dont have any real living under their belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Aren't the fire-alarms set off anymore?

Better than any intercom tbh....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

In fairness, this sanction would only have been brought in if the situation had become really bad and lets face it, drunken antics or not, it'd have to be pretty damn bad to do something like this. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

gizmo wrote: »
    In fairness, this sanction would only have been brought in if the situation had become really bad and lets face it, drunken antics or not, it'd have to be pretty damn bad to do something like this. :o

Not necessarily when you have idiots in charge as well as idiots living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Insulting_Bitch

Everyone knows that Campus Res can sometimes be unfair (wrong bleach used in toilet and stupid regulations regarding guests) but for once they are right on the money.

It's not about having a bit of a laugh, oh sure we had a few drinks and were messing, fcuk that! I have been woken several times at ungodly hours by cnuts hitting all the buttons on the intercoms just to get into their friends apartment. It's bad enought having to listen to girls scraping their heels on the footpath, if you can't walk in them, don't wear them! (that and wheelie bags)

The rent here is high enough, I at least want to get a good nights sleep while I am here. Frankly, I couldn't care that they have disabled them...godsend if anything.

Fair play to T33D OFF for saying it. If you were the ones woken at four in the morning every night (i live on a busy thoroughway) you too would get fairly sick of it. And don't start that dry sh*te sh*t it will only emphasise exactly how immature you really are.

It makes me think that the sanctions that are already in place in the res are there for a damn good reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 TheDeparted

You should all get your revenge by destroying campus when exams are finished. That'd teach'm.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

gizmo wrote: »

Yeah, but you just have to compare the rules and what happens at DCU -- from the Res to the bar -- to what happens else where... from what I can see there's a lot more strict rules in DCU, and from what I've seen myself and what I've heard from others, staff at campus res are very quick to enter apartments when they don't get a quick response if they are at the door.

On the other hand, as "Insulting_Bitch" says maybe the rules are needed? But at the moment my view of DCU students isn't one where we top the poll for maddest students in Ireland or anything like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

monument wrote: »
    My view of DCU students isn't one where we top the poll for maddest students in Ireland or anything like that.

Not even close and thats what makes this situation very sad. Ever notice how these people only do stupid things like this when they are in groups.... its as if this is a way to impress their mates... either way they sound like very cool people

Having said that what would Campus Res do if they actually had some genuine nuisances on campus?

The place is becoming more of a prison than a campus, beginning to remind me of boarding school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Yeah my idea of fun is to shout into intercoms as well!

Wanna be friends? You sound like a really cool person, i can only think of the shennagains we might get up to! OOOHHH the excitement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

Hello Children,
    You are all the same people who will be complaining about security not letting your friends in

only to the Union........which won't really mean anything ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭john.needham

only to the Union........which won't really mean anything ;)

I think if you ran that by campus res they'd have a different opinion. :rolleyes:

Theres a difference between maturing and being a dry ****e.

Being polite towards other residents does not make you a "dry ****e", its just civil.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

Campus res aren't always right. I know someone in hampstead, and her roommate got locked out of the apartment, because she left without her student card. My friend wasn't there to let her back in. The roommate went to campus res and complained she was locked out by the other girl. Bullsh!t.
    Also, in their kitchen, there was damage done, and the people who did it were going to fix it, and if they couldn't, they'd pay the fine for it. Fair enough. The roommate went to campus res again, and complained about it. Unnecessarily in my opninion. As such, campus res decided based on the roommates whinings that my friend can't live on campus next year.

Also, <3 the ambiguity of the tags on this thread ^.^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭*shadow*

Campus is a nightmare at times and I dont blame people for complaining. There is only so much of loud party crazy room mates a person can take.

And believe it or not some people are here to get a degree first and party second, by all means go out and have fun but I just wish people would stop blaring their music out at one in the morning, I got so anoyed I started sleeping with ear plugs in and even that doesnt solve the problem all the time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I've been staying on the ground floor in Larkfield directly beside the courtyard, so there's been a fair few times when I've had to put up with MGMT or Lady Gaga at 4am, but I didn't expect anything less. I mean, yeah, it can be slightly annoying when you need to get a good night sleep, but did you honestly think when you decided to live on campus that it would be completely silent every night?

We all like to have a good night out and enjoy ourselves, but if you really need your 8 hours of beauty sleep every night with zero disturbances, then campus res really isn't the place for you.

• Advertisement

Daysha wrote: »

We all like to have a good night out and enjoy ourselves, but if you really need your 8 hours of beauty sleep every night with zero disturbances, then campus res really isn't the place for you.

Campus res was not built to facilitate the social requirements of DCU students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭ManoCornuta

Wheelie bags only bother me after maybe 10pm, at which stage it becomes incredibly annoying. Having said that, sometimes there's nothing that can be done about it, so that's fair enough.

There's nothing more annoying than being kept up all night the day before an early start, or a test, or a match, or whatever, especially when there's no need for it. If people were a tiny bit more considerate, this wouldn't be a problem.

I don't drink a whole lot, but I have come back to Campus Res drunk with mates, and we were always quiet, except for the girls wearing the high heels, of course!

I'veh eard people outside, drunk, staggering around, yelling at mates to hurry up, at all hours of the night. God knows how they actually manage to get to the club/pub they're supposed to be going to, given the ridiculous hours they leave DCU at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 TheDeparted

*shadow* wrote: »
    Campus is a nightmare at times and I dont blame people for complaining. There is only so much of loud party crazy room mates a person can take.

And believe it or not some people are here to get a degree first and party second, by all means go out and have fun but I just wish people would stop blaring their music out at one in the morning, I got so anoyed I started sleeping with ear plugs in and even that doesnt solve the problem all the time!!

I'd say you're a barrel of laughs...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,184 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'd say you're a very considerate and completely selfless person.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭*shadow*

Yes I am..I just happen to realise my education is important and if I **** it up then there is no second chance for me.

I also just happen to be considerate of other people on campus when I do come back at 3am.

I have nothing against people going out and having a good time, getting a bit drunk, we all do it, but please learn to shut up at 3am....

see how far you'l get with that kind of behaviour in the real world....just as well some of you still have 2-3 years to grow up then..lets hope it wont be too late to salvage your university education:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭ManoCornuta

Wanting to be left in peace and get a good night's sleep doesn't make you boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

Why do people have to have to have such a disregard for rules? both here and in the library thread its just full of people expecting that they should be allowed to disturb and hassle other people because the are students and "have a life".

The majority of us have lives without being a nuisance to the rest of society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Rosstafarian

I think Daysha said it best...Campus Res may not have been built to faciliate social lives, but it's not a monastry either.

I think by the end of the year, most people will have had their nights where they were loud and drunk and it evens out.

If not, there's always next year to catch up. (and maybe lighten up) :D

Lads, if you could continue the conversation without resorting to personal insults that'd be great. I've been pretty easy going so far with people but if this type of carry-on continues I'll have no choice but to start infracting people.

• Advertisement

Charming. TheDeparted banned for personal abuse.

Can we get back on topic now please?

Advertisement