Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Open On TV - Tonight + Every Wednesday @ 11.30pm, TG4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭flushje

Ive always liked Channings commentary, the other guy is a douche. All in all I really enjoyed it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

aodea wrote: »
    Is channing doing the whole lot? he is good at explaining his ideas on hands which i find intresting.

Im not sure of the exact running order on commentators but Padraig Parkinson steps in and out as the co commentator also.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,554 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

aodea wrote: »
    It is win win for irish poker end of.
    Please explain this further.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

Cause it is a worldwide known poker event that is held in ireland and this is made possible by Paddy Power. Paddy Powers marketing of the event has increased its numbers and his has led to the growth of the irish open. other than epts it has to be the best known european event. For irish poker its a win cause players get to play with top players in the world and have a chance at a huge prizepool. Again through online qualifers people can play an event that would normally be out of there price range. If paddy power was not behind this i dont think it would attract half the numbers it gets now. The fact that the ept has struggled in ireland and that had Pokerstars behind it shows what a good job paddy power do in promoting this event. Now dont get me wrong they get a lot out of this themselves but thats business.

this is just my opinion i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Icarus152

If you ever create a new account you should consider calling yourself TheNutFool
    I think its fair to say that EagleEye knows far more than the rest of us and on that basis its a case of realising that you only have so many breaths to breathe in this life and there is little sense wasting them on him.

Dude,you really need to get laid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I've heard that there's no limit to the amount of coke and hookers available in and around Paddy Power Tower. Where is it that you're based out of again?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

AdMMM wrote: »
    I've heard that there's no limit to the amount of coke and hookers available in and around Paddy Power Tower. Where is it that you're based out of again?

Well yeah, we are based in Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

eagle eye wrote: »
    Please explain this further.
    I'm beginning to think that you're just trying to level us all.

Nevertheless I'll entertain you.

By sponsoring the event, Paddy Power ensure that the event is well marketed. This can be seen by the full page adverts that are in all the poker magazines (and possibly other magazines/papers), flyers go to practically every cardroom which not only works to advertise the event but also serves to create a buzz and a feeling of prestige around the tournament. This brings a lot of players out of the woodwork, the type of players who are used to playing five card draw in the back rooms of pubs or to put it mildly; the type of players who don't stand at a chance at this level.

Right there we can see that Paddy Power's intensive advertising adds value to the tournament in the form of woeful players. Anybody who played this years Open would be able to recall some player on their table who took a long, hard look at the table, picked up their cards and brought them right up to their noses before happily stacking off with 22 on a AhQhJh board - or something similar. You don't even see that kind of play in your local €25 game yet at the Irish Open you saw guys doing it at every table!

Then we have the TV coverage. TV coverage is great exposure for the game of poker as it attracts new players into the game. I was playing poker very casually back in 2007 but began to have visions and dreams of grandeur once I saw Nicky Power and Brian O'Keefe, two local guys, both win over €100,000 at the 2007 Irish Open. Watching these televised tournaments can give the impression that it's an easy game and can fully convince someone that they too can donk their way towards a big score. How wrong I was, but it still hasn't stopped me getting sucked into the game like so many others before and after me.

There's a plethora of other reasons why having the tournament sponsored is great for Irish poker but these two jumped right out at me given that I'd consider myself to have a basic understanding of common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I'm kinda baffled as to why BCB can be bothered to defend his company to a group of people who think PPP owe them an explanation as to how they do business, even though they'll never play a hand there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

Icarus152 wrote: »
    Dude,you really need to get laid.

Did you not watch his heads-up with Boylepoker?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,554 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If you ever create a new account you should consider calling yourself TheNutFool
    Oh my, thats not nice now. And you represent Paddy Power.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,141 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    buying in, getting raped in bigger than usual cashgames) and it hasn't launched many (any?) young Irish players onto consistent appearances at the elite level or big time sponsorship deals.

Marty ?

without getting into much details, we do not make as much as 1c from the Irish Open.

while at an operational level this is true I'm sure ppp are in it for the integrable benefits rather then philanthropy towards the players
    but in the absence of a sponsor then i guess we would be back to a 60 player tournament in Merrion Square?

we wouldn't

• Registered Users Posts: 36,141 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    lol! Sorry! :o But then again, he had won a televised major the previous year and had established himself online.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=1685

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I love the way one comment sets off a big conversation about tea and coffee, I was at the open playing and I have to say I didnt have any tea or coffee I feel left out now.
    I'm very sorry to hear this. As a token gesture of goodwill, please bring yourself to the attention of any of the "Zuroph's tea and coffee emporium" staff at the Irish open 2010, where we will immediately upgrade you to a cappucino or latte, free of charge.*

*While stocks last, terms and conditions apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭pgodkin

Hang on one sec, The coffee was free??:eek:

Wow bet the rake, couldnt beat the tea ladies:rolleyes:

I'm finished with poker, as i am TheNutFool :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

FYI series link is working for this now. Hookie must have had a word with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

I for some reason always thought it had been a sponsored event, what year did it finally start getting major numbers for it? Has it always been a big buyin event when it was run from the merrion?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Paul Spillane

The biggest problem with this show is there isn't enough BP players on the FT, otherwise i loved it, esp chufty though who is that Channing chap, what part of Ireland is he from?

O/T
    btw BCB we got a board at work, kinda like the star in a car thing on top gear, its based on number of hits your heads up got in a week, wanna know how you did?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

The biggest problem with this show is there isn't enough BP players on the FT, otherwise i loved it, esp chufty though who is that Channing chap, what part of Ireland is he from?

O/T
    btw BCB we got a board at work, kinda like the star in a car thing on top gear, its based on number of hits your heads up got in a week, wanna know how you did?

Mr Spillane, you made a bad production error.

the omission of subtitles for his answers, couldn't understand a blind word of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭maloney333

is there a link to watch this anywhere??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I will be watching at 23:30. It was good last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Yeah same here, any chance of some eye candy this time? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thedini

Dave147 wrote: »
    Yeah same here, any chance of some eye candy this time? :P
    wrong channel;)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lillou

good show. how many more weeks is it on for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭shano_88

damn, forgot about this. Is there anywhere you can watch this online or is replayed later this week or anything........

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lillou

think its going to be shown on again on ITV at some stage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭meathman 007

Bepe Di Marco thinks a lot of himself for some reason

Advertisement