Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Games Room (The Museum of Gaming Goodness)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Only small problem is that PS1 games can't be played off it but you really shouldn't play them on a PS2 since they usually cause laser wear much quicker (not that it stops me tempting faith, damn NTSC PS3 that I have).

Are you saying that the laser in the console will eventually wear off the layer of the disc? ffs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

But why oh why were Ninty boxes so crap?
    Blasted cardboard, falls apart!
    So now I have feck all Snes, Nes, N64 and GB boxes, arse!

Not that english territories box art was ever a patch on Jap box art, shudder!

Because they knew they would be rare so they made them in cardboard boxes, and thought that the parents would throw out the boxes, so then nintendo have a market for selling all the boxed ones they keep in there warehouse for loads of money on the E-BAY.

but to be honest the japanese box art was fantastic compared to England

SuperFamicom_jap.JPG
    916396_76950_front.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nope, laser wear is what happens to the moving parts of the laser assembly inside a console if it has to skip and jump a lot during use, as happens when you play games not formatted especially for that console, so DC copies do it, you can here the drive doing the fandango when playing some games, or so I am told, same with the PSone and "backups".

Ideally I'd want a modded PS and a modded PS2, so I can play all those games from overseas that I really can no longer afford to buy, like Thunderforce VI or Einhander, that's the plan, a chipped PSone was ten to a penny a couple of years ago, but a tad harder to track down these days.

As for collection being padding, or at least some of the games bought as such, well, truth be told there is little chance of playing everything in my collection in a year if I played 2 games a session for the next 12 months, but I have put in plenty of time in each game over the years and sometimes it's enough to know that if the need arises and I, or a mate, simply must have a blast of Burnout 2, Rollcage or Blastcorp, I can put my hand on it and be playing it within 3 minutes of the request, that's kinda nice.

I know it's rather pretentious but I kinda see my games room as a museum or library rather than a collection, the games in there can all be played almost instantly the thought occurs, and there are enough of all the things we all played to death in the 80's, 90's and 00's to sate anyones appetite.

Only problem is getting the time to play them at all, the PS3/Wii/360 offer a serious temptation, and the desire to play Fallout 3, GTAIV and the rest is often more seductive than a quick blast of Pilotwings on the Snes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Crowman wrote: »
    Ciderman, I saw Rougue Galaxy in smyths carrickmines yesterday for 4.99.
    If your'e not able to get out this way I'd be happy to pick it up for you?

I may check out my local Smyths man, not even sure where carrickmines is, and if you're living next to it, you're just as inaccessible!
    I promised myself no more travelling for games anymore, the wife will catch on and some day the gamesroom will be empty and the smell of burning plastic will fill the air, don't believe she wouldn't, quite a formidable lady my missus!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,015 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ideally I'd want a modded PS and a modded PS2, so I can play all those games from overseas that I really can no longer afford to buy, like Thunderforce VI or Einhander, that's the plan, a chipped PSone was ten to a penny a couple of years ago, but a tad harder to track down these days.

Thunderforce VI is only okay but Einhander is stupidly good. May I suggest G Darius as well. It's got some of the longest most intense and over the top boss fights ever.

• Advertisement

Nope, laser wear is what happens to the moving parts of the laser assembly inside a console if it has to skip and jump a lot during use, as happens when you play games not formatted especially for that console, so DC copies do it, you can here the drive doing the fandango when playing some games, or so I am told, same with the PSone and "backups".

My DC has been making some horrible sounds as of late :( especially while playing House of the Dead 2. Feck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Truth be told, very few of my games are new, most are from Gamestop/Gamesworld, I had a sweet deal there after having several years of working there part time back in the late 90's, they allowed me to keep my employee's discount and I put it to really good use!
    Also Bookmart and Gamexchange were a regular haunt of mine back in 98-01 so I got plenty of stuff then to.
    Seems that the time to bolster a collection for a particular gen is about 3 years after the new one has emerged, generally the previous gen games are sold off for a song and that certainly seems the case now with the PS2, most of which are less than a tenner in gamestop preowned.
    Of course the more generations of consoles between you and the stuff you want the harder it gets to buy them, especially in a bricks and mortar shop, online is the only way to go for Atari, Sega and Nintendo it seems, the premature death of the Xbox also makes it's games hard to locate, although Adverts.ie seems to be of help in this respect.

I'm wondering when PS2 games will be retro :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

Speaking of PS2 games i just purchased REZ :D

Well done appleidog, now be prepared for the legion of Sega fans to tell you the DC version is better, and for XBLA fanboys to say that the HD edition is superior.

Unfortunately, the XBLA edition is probably the definitive version, but, all Rez games are really equal, they are all genius, and we are lucky to be able to play them, Amen..

I have all three and there isn't much between them, aside from the lovely crisp vectors on the 360, they are basically the same.

Wasn't the vibration pack for the DC version subverted into a sex toy?
    Better be careful buying one on eBay, you really may not want to know where it has been, or inserted for that matter, and that's why I can pass on getting one of those!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,015 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wasn't the vibration pack for the DC version subverted into a sex toy?
    Better be careful buying one on eBay, you really may not want to know where it has been, or inserted for that matter, and that's why I can pass on getting one of those!

10199-trancevibrator_large.jpg

It's not hard to see why it was used as a sex toy. I'd be weary of anyone selling one on ebay, could be a bit fishy.

• Advertisement

Yeah, could be a bit "tacky" too, you know *mimes thumb and index fingers being sticky*

My fave peripheral, best of the lot, and the one controller, aside from the default one, I could not part with is my NegCon, that thing is pure genius, and I wish there was a PS3 version.
    Made by Namco it provides true analogue steering, throttle and brake all in the space of a standard controller, on the PS and it was released nearly 15 years ago, with nothing to compete since, awesome!
    Even Namco's own follow up to it, the JogCon wasn't as good, in fact it sucked, and still does, I've got one of those too!

Sadly I think the Analog and Dual Shock controllers killed the NegCon off, sadly, because it was beautiful, I played and finished the PS RidgeRacers and Wipeout with it, fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I'd be all for it, but I have a launch PS2 and not sure how long I have before it breaks, given that folk seem to have probs with them after a while.
    May just pick up a cheap slimline one and chip it, now sure, might find one already done, save me the trouble.
    Not too guilty about it given all the money I've given Sony over the years!

Maybe you could offer me something for my 'TEST' PS2 debug console and my LAN adapter? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

kerbdog wrote: »
    Maybe you could offer me something for my 'TEST' PS2 debug console and my LAN adapter? :)

More info please...

EnterNow wrote: »
    More info please...

A simple Google search of "ps2 test debug" pops up:
    http://content.techrepublic.com.com/2346-10878_11-3069-21.html

Plays everything, just like a chipped console but CD/DVD-R media needs to be patched by a special tool - or yea can just throw stuff on the LAN/HDD adapter like was mentioned before, but, not all games work from the LAN/HDD adapter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

That HAS to be worth a few quid....where may I ask did you come across this rare find

Hey Kerbdog, PM me a price and I'll see what I can do.
    I understood that it wasn't for sale!!

Also, you guys out there I'm missing any systems or games I really should have, bearing in mind my hatred of JRPGs, RTS and anything, ANYTHING with random battles!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭tifosi 1

Ciderman the room looks pretty cool in those photos. Doesn't matter how many times i've seen your Steel Battion Controller it still looks awesome(crap game though). You do need a HDTV up there or a PC monitor for the DC games.

Have you catalogued all the games you have? You'd have to discount all those blank discs you use on that little white console you have. You know the one i'm talking about.:)

I'm shocked!!!
    Actually I have a lot of DC games, but, sadly I also have a few dodgy ones, always replace them, where possible, with originals, but where on earth to get them?

Sadly the Steel Batallion controller is starting to suffer from some sun damage, the eject flick down safety cover is starting to yellow, if you have one, you'll know what I mean.
    But I've nowhere else to put the blessed thing! And as for the game itself, well, it's a pretty tough mech game alright, and not one of the pick up and play kind, much more of a sim and the rule of losing the whole save game if you don't eject is pretty harsh, but then, it's supposed to be immersive.
    I have a feeling, if MS hadn't of condemned the Xbox to an early death we might have seen some other mech titles released on the console, aside from Steel Batallion and it's online only sequel Line of Fire, which I own but never played, boo hoo!

I'm shocked!!!
    Actually I have a lot of DC games, but, sadly I also have a few dodgy ones, always replace them, where possible, with originals, but where on earth to get them?

Sadly the Steel Batallion controller is starting to suffer from some sun damage, the eject flick down safety cover is starting to yellow, if you have one, you'll know what I mean.
    But I've nowhere else to put the blessed thing! And as for the game itself, well, it's a pretty tough mech game alright, and not one of the pick up and play kind, much more of a sim and the rule of losing the whole save game if you don't eject is pretty harsh, but then, it's supposed to be immersive.
    I have a feeling, if MS hadn't of condemned the Xbox to an early death we might have seen some other mech titles released on the console, aside from Steel Batallion and it's online only sequel Line of Fire, which I own but never played, boo hoo!

Funnily enough the little white console I was refering to wasn't the DC. Don't worry Cider's there's no Gstop employee's on here on ex employee's lol. Did your copy of MSR turn up yet?

Now I'm puzzled, little white console, well there's the PSone, and I don't have any backups for that, and the DSi and that doesn't use disks, the Snes is kinda greyish white but all I have for that are carts, hmm....

The MSR is still on the missing presumed lent and thieved, I know it wasn't you so don't worry if your room is broken into and all your games rifled through, if definitely won't be me!

Never the less, what would make my gamesroom better?
    The last time I asked a question like that, a couple of months ago, I ended up buying an MVS motherboard, SupergunIII and a load of MVS carts, cost me a fortune.

Are there any gaming essentials I'm missing?

Nothing that takes ages to load, so out you go C64 and Amstrad CPC 464.

• Advertisement

The white console i'm referring to is not in the games room but downstairs beside the TV. You know the one I really don't like or the company who rips people off who buy it with all the extra accessories.

The only other way to improve that games room is maybe get some lazyboys up there and a well stocked fridge and maybe a spare 360 up there so as not to hog up the living room from the evil oppressor (wife) lol only joking.

Ah now stop it, the Bollo still has been known to be directed to my movements on this forum, could get me into trouble!
    I own all the games I really want on the Wii, if a game is good enough to buy, I say buy it, even if it's easier just to download it.
    All you end up with is a massive collection of copied games, most bad, some good, fewer still great and the only thing they have in common is you don't wind up playing any of them.
    I have No More Heroes and Super Mario Galaxy just sitting there unplayed in ages, for example, and I paid for those, been a while since I played anything on the Wii as a matter of fact.

I'd never get lazyboyz up that spiral stairs.

I was out voted on the issue of the fridge, although a little compact Coke one might be nice, once it's quiet!

Why on earth would I want another 360?
    How could I play a game on the living room machine and then have a different save point on the upstairs one?

And, you know, I'm going to tell her you said that!

I'm an idea's man i don't work out the details. Although regarding the spare 360 there's this lttle device invented so that you could save a game on 1 machine and transfer it to another, they were very big in the playstation generation. One of them even had some crap called magic gate which to my knowledge never actually did anything.

God you've spilled the beans about the Wii. You won't be allowed into Gstop anymore. They're probably on the phone to Ninty now giving them your details.

Might not be the best idea to mention staff from Gamestop lads...I actually know who your talking about ;)

Wow, you are never this sarcastic in real life!
    Fiona was asking for you btw
    And a memory card, hmmm, forgot about that!

Yeah, I think I can hear the black helicopters moving in now, so long everyone.....

Wow, you are never this sarcastic in real life!
    Fiona was asking for you btw
    And a memory card, hmmm, forgot about that!

Yeah, I think I can hear the black helicopters moving in now, so long everyone.....

That was a little harsh sorry about that. But you have no idea how sarcastic I can get when given the opportunity.

Back onto the topic of the thread, Do you think you'll ever get to a point when your games room will be full. In 3-5 years time you'll be adding the currrent generation of consoles up there.

I reckon I am nearly there now, as it happens.
    The times of easily finding Megadrive, Snes and even PSone games are now over, they are only to be found on sites like adverts.ie or in car boot sales, so supplies are a tad irregular.
    The PS2, I think, has finally joined the ranks of retro, with it's games being sold of for peanuts at the mo, this time next year they will have become quite hard to come by, I expect.
    Anywho, my retro collection is all but done, a few challenges remain, fitting a laptop hardrive to my Amiga 1200 so I don't have to feck about with disks.
    Getting that blasted elusive Atari Pong console,
    Building a decent casing for the MVS NeoGeo,
    Getting a properly working NES back into the setup,
    Buying a decent HD TV for up there and retiring the old Sony CRT,
    get some new units up there to display stuff properly, via IKEA I hope.

and thats it, aside from all of that, just to bolster the various collections with games as they comeup, I picked up Route 66 and Battlefield 2 for the PS2 for only 13 euro, that's not too bad now, is it?

I reckon I am nearly there now, as it happens.
    The times of easily finding Megadrive, Snes and even PSone games are now over, they are only to be found on sites like adverts.ie or in car boot sales, so supplies are a tad irregular.
    The PS2, I think, has finally joined the ranks of retro, with it's games being sold of for peanuts at the mo, this time next year they will have become quite hard to come by, I expect.
    Anywho, my retro collection is all but done, a few challenges remain, fitting a laptop hardrive to my Amiga 1200 so I don't have to feck about with disks.
    Getting that blasted elusive Atari Pong console,
    Building a decent casing for the MVS NeoGeo,
    Getting a properly working NES back into the setup,
    Buying a decent HD TV for up there and retiring the old Sony CRT,
    get some new units up there to display stuff properly, via IKEA I hope.

and thats it, aside from all of that, just to bolster the various collections with games as they comeup, I picked up Route 66 and Battlefield 2 for the PS2 for only 13 euro, that's not too bad now, is it?

If you retire the CRT how will you play lightgun games? That was one of the reasons I stayed with a 2 decade old CRT. That and it was really cheap. Anyway, I picked up Route 66 at one point thinking it would be like that another Sega game with trucks that escapes my memory right now....but Route 66 was a bit crap to be honest compared to it. I was disappointed and ended up bringing it back to where I bought it.

The only PS2 game I really want in my collection is Secret Weapons Over Normandy, a very playable game. I got to the last level and couldn't clear it and ended up trading it for cash when I was in a dire financial situation, which I really regret. I think I'd rather starve than trade anything I have now.

EnterNow wrote: »
    That HAS to be worth a few quid....where may I ask did you come across this rare find

Just by keeping my eye out and ensuring my mates knew I was interested in funky consoles/computers. Also have a Debug Xbox1, 128mb RAM (normal Xbox1 has 64mb), modified with coaxial digital audio out, modified bios, larger hdd, remote interface to allow the normal Xbox1 remote turn the console on/off and modified dvd-rom drive so it will play all media without issue :D yep, I got bored

• Advertisement

CCCP^ wrote: »
    ...I picked up Route 66 at one point thinking it would be like that another Sega game with trucks that escapes my memory right now...

18 Wheeler

I'd never get lazyboyz up that spiral stairs.

A BuddaBag would be an ideal replacement for a chair/couch in a games room :) we have them in work and if I had space in my current house I would have loads of them! Expensive, but yea gotta drop down to a store and sit in one

Advertisement