Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Games Room (The Museum of Gaming Goodness)

Options
  • 03-05-2009 12:39pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Here are a few pictures of my gamesroom, it's in my converted attic and I don't spend as much time as I should there!
    Most of my systems are there, although the PS3, 360, Wii, Megadrive, NeoGeo CD and Nuon are downstairs by the big TV, and the PSP and DSi are in my car, most of the time.
    The only thing I'm really missing are an Atari/Sears Pong console and a decent 29" HD LCD, I'll get there one way or another on both counts.
    However if anyone has such a console and wants to swap for, say, my Vader 2600, I'll consider it!

I have just done a big clean out of the room, lots of rubbish built up, and there is plenty more to do, so excuse the state of it at the mo. My games are, by and large, tucked away in various cabinets, although I hope to do a bit of Ikea shopping and get some matching units to display my stuff.

Feel free to comment on it or leave pictures of your own rooms of bliss!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Here are some shots of my games collection, the PS and PS2 stuff, I've about 110 for the PS and 150 odd for the PS2, thus far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Here are my Megadrive games, a modest selection, but with important stuff like Sonic/2/3/& Knuckles, also Road Rash/2/3 and Skitchin and Lotus Turbo Challenge, not to mention Thunderforce 3 and 4 and also my fave Biohazard Battle.
    Here also are my N64 games, I have pretty much everything I ever wanted on it.
    And my Atari 2600/7800 games, not too many, but just enough!

And last but by no means least my controller for Steel Batallion, awesome isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Sweet setup cider - respect. Quick one, how do you deal with all the tv inputs/scarts/rf's? Have you a control box or do you do things manually?

Essentially behind it all are three cables running along the wall, attached at several points to self made AV boards, consisting of 2 3 socket phono input plates, these then turn into 2 AV inputs per board, and so I have around 12 AV inputs around the room all plugged in, at the end, to the Scart on the TV.
    Now I know this is not ideal, and the picture quality is sometimes less than stellar but, overall it works quite well.
    The RF based consoles are, up to now just hooked into the TVs RF via a bunch of splitters, again not the Highest Fi I guess but servicable, most of these RFs have been replaced by shiny new AV cables but these, in turn now need new AV ports, so I have to get cracking and fit them into the room, this will be done along with an overhaul of the console placements in the room, the PS2 titles take up too much space and so will be going into a cabinet, as soon as Ikea have one to suit!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,338 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Does everything still work? There must be some amount of cleaning dust-wise?

I thknk I would love to spend an hour rooting through all that.

You make me sick!

• Advertisement

Well, thanks for saying I make you sick, hmm....
    Dusting is an ongoing problem, and several large spiders have been evicted from behind the 3DO only to ring the doorbell and move right back in!
    I will be dismantling most of it and giving the place a real good polish in the coming months.
    Yes, everything works, bar my NES that has given up the ghost and started the flashy thing, it has a new edge connector so it's something else entirely...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,132 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No Gunstar Heroes? :)

You know what Retro, and I know you won't tell anyone, and you'll keep it between us, but I don't like Gunstar Heroes and never knew what the attraction was, can't figure it out.

But, now that you mention it, a collection of english Treasure releases for the Megadrive would be a nice thing to have, hmm...
    Pretty affordable too I reckon.

Must stay away from eBay!
    Credit card off limits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I would like to buy your room, I have this much money.....

Is that a Virtual Boy you have? Does it give you headaches? I had a loan of one once and its the only time I have ever suffered with migraines!!

A great set-up anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,132 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nice set up you have there. I've got all my consoles in crates now taking up all the room in my tiny bedroom after I got kicked out of the games room that I took over :( I need my own place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Bastard :(
    I want all of that.

Especially the Atari 2600 Jr :
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/35420/78919.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

That's a massive collection, but what's the worse game in your collection

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

No Commodore 64 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Have you played all them games? Thats an amazing collection though how many years did it take to gather it all, or are they all your consoles as you grew up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭thealltimelow

we must find that house

I sold as I went along, upgrading from gen to gen until the Dreamcast era, I had sold my Jap DC to fund a launch PS2 when the guy I was selling it to said he didn't have the money, so he gave less cash but an N64 and a Saturn instead, and that was that, I bought a PS2 alright but then bought back all the consoles I ever had before then, and bought every console I ever wanted, all the shile keeping up to date with the new gen stuff.

The way I collect is the way anyone can collect, slowly but surely over the last 8 years, not being too fussy about perfect packaging or instruction manuals, and most importantly treating them properly and playing them, not just leaving them in dust jackets, on shelves, lonely!

The worst game in my collection is....
    Not sure, I only really own stuff I like,
    Probably PacMan on the Atari 2600, the worst arcade conversion ever.

Main reason for no C64 is I never owned one, only the Speccy, sorry!

As for where my house is, I ain't telling!!!

I'm not fussy about packaging either. I buy the games because I mean to play them, even if I don't get around to most of them.

Any Turbografx stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,704 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You're such a jammy git! I'd kill to have a converted attic to set up all my stuff like that. Currently it's all split between my folks house and my apartment :(

Not fussy about aquiring boxes. I'll take stuff without. (Bar Megadrive games, but that's just because their clamshell cases are so lovely)

Saying that, if I do have a box, I'll make sure it's kept in good coniditon.

I've got a few bits and pieces, Renegade is fun, Spatterhouse, Alien Crush and a couple of others.
    My best collection is the Virtual Boy stuff, 10 titles in all, including Mario Clash, Wario World, the excellent Galactic Pinball and Red Alarm, also got V Tetris amongst others.
    I have the best of all though, a flashcart for the Virtual Boy, a rare beast made by the guy who makes my Vectrex cart, very nice thing indeed, only holds one game at a time, but now I can play 3D Tetris without havingto mortgage my house for the privilege!

And no, it doesn't give me a headache.

I did however attempt to show it to a friend of my brothers who, through misadventure, lost an eye, before realising that the selling point of the Virtual Boy may well be lost on him, he did see the funny side!

But why oh why were Ninty boxes so crap?
    Blasted cardboard, falls apart!
    So now I have feck all Snes, Nes, N64 and GB boxes, arse!

Not that english territories box art was ever a patch on Jap box art, shudder!

I just hope you don't rate alien hominid higher than gunstar heroes.

I hear you on the nintendo boxes, they suck. All of mine got destroyed as well but that was my own stupid fault and an embarassing story :/

• Advertisement

Mega Drive boxes on the other hand, were great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I noticed the "Shadow of the Colossus" and "ICO" posters - a sure sign of a good gamer! (as if additional proof was needed!)

Did you buy most of this stuff new or second hand? Either way it must have cost you a fortune. I got afew bargains myself last year (Metal Gear Solid 2 PS2 new and sealed in tesco for 5euro, all 3 Devil May Cry's PS2 in gamestop for 16euro).

Heres a better question; are there any games that you don't have in your collection and want but are having trouble tracking down?

Heres a better question; are there any games that you don't have in your collection and want but are having trouble tracking down?

Why ? Are ye sellin' :pac:

Doubt I'd have any games that aren't in there!

I imagine that most of us are looking at the collection and thinking that its a perfect collection of games. So that got me thinking; do you look at it and think "yeah it is... but if only I had..."

Truth be told, very few of my games are new, most are from Gamestop/Gamesworld, I had a sweet deal there after having several years of working there part time back in the late 90's, they allowed me to keep my employee's discount and I put it to really good use!
    Also Bookmart and Gamexchange were a regular haunt of mine back in 98-01 so I got plenty of stuff then to.
    Seems that the time to bolster a collection for a particular gen is about 3 years after the new one has emerged, generally the previous gen games are sold off for a song and that certainly seems the case now with the PS2, most of which are less than a tenner in gamestop preowned.
    Of course the more generations of consoles between you and the stuff you want the harder it gets to buy them, especially in a bricks and mortar shop, online is the only way to go for Atari, Sega and Nintendo it seems, the premature death of the Xbox also makes it's games hard to locate, although Adverts.ie seems to be of help in this respect.

I got the Ico and SOTC posters in Gamestop around the time of the SOTC launch, they had re-released Ico as well and there was a few bits of promo material, which I natch begged for!

Stuff I don't have but want?
    Intellivision,
    Looping for the Colecovision
    Tons of MVS Neo Geo stuff, of course
    An NTSC PS2
    An Atari Pong console, C-100
    A NES that won't break down!
    There remains a bunch of PS2 games I don't yet own, but am waiting til they come down a smidge more, Rogue Galaxy, and a bunch of others.
    I'd like to get the Xcom titles for the PS, hard to find though!

And a nice new TV for up there, although I'll have to keep a CRT on standby, so I can play VirtuaCop, House of the Dead/2 and the Time Crisis games, not mention Duck Hunt and Wild Gunman.

Couldn't you get the PS2 chipped or are you completely against that?

I'd be all for it, but I have a launch PS2 and not sure how long I have before it breaks, given that folk seem to have probs with them after a while.
    May just pick up a cheap slimline one and chip it, now sure, might find one already done, save me the trouble.
    Not too guilty about it given all the money I've given Sony over the years!

I'd imagine an NTSC PS2 is still fairly easy to get over the interweb.
    I too used to enjoy the benefits of a staff discount on games but not anymore. Thankfully new releases can be purchased fairly cheap in xtra-vision (Street Fighter 4 €40!).

So have you played them all or are there a bunch you bought just to boost your shelves?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'd be all for it, but I have a launch PS2 and not sure how long I have before it breaks, given that folk seem to have probs with them after a while.
    May just pick up a cheap slimline one and chip it, now sure, might find one already done, save me the trouble.
    Not too guilty about it given all the money I've given Sony over the years!

Have you considered the HD exploit? I got it done to my PS2 after my second one failed (thanks KdjaC). Basically with a PS2 network adapter you can boot up a loader that allows you to load PS2 games from a 120 GB max hard disk. You can play NTSC games off it as well. You can copy the games on to the hard disk from the PS2, although there's still region protection, or copy them using a PC if you hook up the hard disk with an IDE. The advantages are that it eliminates laser wear, loading times are massively reduced (I probably would have given up on Odin Sphere after I saw the loading times on youtube), and in streaming games like GTA texture pop-in is eliminated. Only small problem is that PS1 games can't be played off it but you really shouldn't play them on a PS2 since they usually cause laser wear much quicker (not that it stops me tempting faith, damn NTSC PS3 that I have).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Crowman

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    There remains a bunch of PS2 games I don't yet own, but am waiting til they come down a smidge more, Rogue Galaxy, and a bunch of others.

Ciderman, I saw Rougue Galaxy in smyths carrickmines yesterday for 4.99.
    If your'e not able to get out this way I'd be happy to pick it up for you?

Advertisement