Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boozing.. On the Dole?

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Puddleduck wrote: »
    Aw well, I thought the Big 'R' would snap the irish out of the begrudging but it hasnt. Shame.

Thought the days of people watching every penny John and Jane down the road spend were over. Who gives a crap what people spend their money on?

The fact is that those ON the dole are be being payed for by those who are still working.
    Why wouldnt it piss people off to see thier tax money being spent on drink when its supposed to be helping people to find thier feet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

6 cans of Dutch Gold and a straw

More like

6 straws and a can of dutch. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The fact is that those ON the dole are be being payed for by those who are still working.

Are you saying that those on the dole haven't paid PRSI before? That's a bit farfetched to be believable. I'd think that 90% or people on the dole have paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Probably less controversial for them to be buying drink actually. More of it will go back to the exchequer that way.

I'm on the dole atm and why the fcuk should I not go boozing on it? I payed my taxes for years before getting laid off and am entitled to do what I please with my 'rebate'

Probably less controversial for them to be buying drink actually. More of it will go back to the exchequer that way.

Fair point, those on the dole do pay taxes like VAT & various duties.

I'm on the dole (or at least applying for the dole) on Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Disease Ridden

Just to let my fellow dolesters know, saw an ad on the telly last night about offer on in sainsburys at the minute; 2 crates of lager/strongbow for £16/E18. Offer includes Fosters, Budweiser, Strongbow, Carling and I think Carlsberg...few others as well. I'm assuming the offer will be on in newry.
    Think its 18 cans of 440 ml in each, except budweiser is bottles, probably 15 x 330ml.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

cheerio wrote: »
    Sure a lot of them probably do have a few grand, I know one guy who's saving up his dole to go travelling.

I was talking about the people who do the snitching having thousands from grass up all those despots on the dole.

Just to let my fellow dolesters know, saw an ad on the telly last night about offer on in sainsburys at the minute; 2 crates of lager/strongbow for £16/E18. Offer includes Fosters, Budweiser, Strongbow, Carling and I think Carlsberg...few others as well. I'm assuming the offer will be on in newry.
    Think its 18 cans of 440 ml in each, except budweiser is bottles, probably 15 x 330ml.
    24 bud (500ml cans) for €30 in Super Valu until tomorrow.
    Getting another one today. I've no idea how I managed to keep away from the fridge last night. :)

Had to work today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭podge3

Confab wrote: »
    Are you saying that those on the dole haven't paid PRSI before? That's a bit farfetched to be believable. I'd think that 90% or people on the dole have paid for it.
    About 384,000 people are on the dole at present. During "full employment" there were approximately 160,000 claiming it. I think its fair to say that most of these 160,000 never worked, or never will.

So the 224,000 that have been added to the live register in recent times have indeed paid their taxes and PRSI. Thats about 60% by my calculations.

These people are more than entitled to spend their dole payments on whatever they wish. However, I think its likely that these 224,000 have better things to be doing with their money than giving most of it to the local publican i.e. paying mortgages, other loans, doctors fees etc etc etc.

The other 160,000 are probably mostly living in houses paid for by the state and also have medical cards, free childrens books, back to school allowances etc etc. They can well afford to spend all day in the pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

easyeason3 wrote: »
    I was in Dunnes Stores this morning & a foreign man on crutches was buying two cans of Bavaria. This was at 11 o' clock in the morning & the hum of drink from him was unnatural.
    Felt sorry for the guy.
    I felt worse when I got dirty looks from people for letting him ahead of me in the queue. The man was on crutches ffs.

ah crutches, sure he was a cripple!
    he might have been able to walk properly if he wasn't loaded with alcohol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

Terry wrote: »
    24 bud (500ml cans) for €30 in Super Valu until tomorrow.
    We're on the dole. We're not animals!

podge3 wrote: »
    About 384,000 people are on the dole at present. During "full employment" there were approximately 160,000 claiming it. I think its fair to say that most of these 160,000 never worked, or never will.

So the 224,000 that have been added to the live register in recent times have indeed paid their taxes and PRSI. Thats about 60% by my calculations.

These people are more than entitled to spend their dole payments on whatever they wish. However, I think its likely that these 224,000 have better things to be doing with their money than giving most of it to the local publican i.e. paying mortgages, other loans, doctors fees etc etc etc.

The other 160,000 are probably mostly living in houses paid for by the state and also have medical cards, free childrens books, back to school allowances etc etc. They can well afford to spend all day in the pub.
    So you know all 160,000 of these people then, yes?
    You have met every single one of them and know exactly how they live their lives?

We're on the dole. We're not animals!
    Well it's better than Dutch gold and that one in the blue can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

Well it's better than Dutch gold and that one in the blue can.
    honest to god i'd prefer a can of dutch to a can of bud. but youre right, a crate of cans for 30euro cant be sneezed.

honest to god i'd prefer a can of dutch to a can of bud. but youre right, a crate of cans for 30euro cant be sneezed.
    It's pretty much the only thing I drink.
    If I'm in Dublin, I might have a good German beer, but other than that it's Bud all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Disease Ridden

I'll be back to college in the autumn. Live with the parents so it's not worth my while getting a job because
    a) if I was to find one it would most certainly be in Dublin, so I'd have to pay for rent and food, so I'd be getting less than the dole
    b) If I get a job and eventually get let go, it might be tough getting back on the dole as quick as I did first time round

I give the mother a bit every week and save nearly all of the rest. I only leave the house/do anything with friends maybe twice a month but I'm not complaining, I really have no right to complain!

In my opinion there will always be a hardcore unemployed; governments take account of that when planning for the economy. If people are so envious/ jealous of them they should go and do what they do and stop complaining that they're paying for their lifestyles; the option is open to anybody to do the same and "enjoy" their lifestyle. Theres a huge stigma attached to being a dole-extracting waster and a huge sense of pride in being a contributing-to-the-community citizen; each side has their pro's and cons but it depends on personal preferances as to which lifestyle you vouch for. Personally, I couldnt stay on the dole for life, its far too meaningless and soul-destroying an existance, but I have no problem knowing that those wasters exist; each to their own i suppose.

So you know all 160,000 of these people then, yes?
    You have met every single one of them and know exactly how they live their lives?
    No, actually, I know very few of them. I'm usually too busy working to meet them in the pub.

OK, I'm sure some of the 160,000 have a good reasons for not working. But what about the rest? Why was every low paid job in the country for the past 10 years done by a foreign national when there were 160,000 on the dole?

lmao

I never thought I'd be lowered into saying this but GTFO!

If you really believe that then you're in no position to preach about what people do with their money

lmao

I never thought I'd be lowered into saying this but GTFO!

If you really believe that then you're in no position to preach about what people do with their money
    I can never understand why people on Boards feel its necessary to be rude and/or swear at other posters. Just because my opinion is different to yours does not entitle you to assume that you are correct and that I am wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭theCaffers

apparently ye dont have drink and fags you will starve

• Advertisement

I can never understand why people on Boards feel its necessary to be rude and/or swear at other posters. Just because my opinion is different to yours does not entitle you to assume that you are correct and that I am wrong.

Sorry if I offended you.

tbh I can never understand why people on Boards feel it's necessary to make sweeping generalizations based on their own deluded opinions. Just because your own personal view is that everyone on the dole is the same doesn't make it true, either.

Just because my opinion is different to yours does not entitle you to assume that you are correct and that I am wrong.

Firstly, this is AH. Secondly, you may well be wrong as well. Why should we all assume you're right - is it because you're not swearing?

Finally, the definition of the 'dole' is a very broad one and includes those with various disabilities. 160,000 people is less than 4%, and easily half of that number are receiving disability payments. They're not 'choosing' whether or not to work - they simply can't work. Of course there are scroungers as well, but let's not tar 160,000 people with the same brush eh?

Sorry if I offended you.
    Apology accepted :cool:

..... Just because your own personal view is that everyone on the dole is the same doesn't make it true, either.
    I never said they everyone on the dole is the same. If I had my way, the newly unemployed who have paid taxes and PRSI would get an increase in their allowances to help them cope.

I take exception to long term spongers who have taken the dole as a career choice. In fairness to them, why should they work in McDonalds when they can get a free house, money every week, medical card and all the other freebees for staying at home, scratching their ar$e and adding to their brood.

No, actually, I know very few of them. I'm usually too busy working to meet them in the pub.

OK, I'm sure some of the 160,000 have a good reasons for not working. But what about the rest? Why was every low paid job in the country for the past 10 years done by a foreign national when there were 160,000 on the dole?
    Because the fordeners took our jobs.

I take exception to long term spongers who have taken the dole as a career choice. In fairness to them, why should they work in McDonalds when they can get a free house, money every week, medical card and all the other freebees for staying at home, scratching their ar$e and adding to their brood.

Dont forget filling the prisons..the taxapayer funds THAT particular lifestyle too.

Because the fordeners took our jobs.

The fordners took the jobs that the lazy-arsed irish didnt want to do.
    It looks like the irish would rather be on the dole than "lower" themselves to take jobs they consider "beneath" them.
    How many irish people do you see working in Spar or Centra,McDonalds or Supermacks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Quartet

I'll be back to college in the autumn. Live with the parents so it's not worth my while getting a job because
    a) if I was to find one it would most certainly be in Dublin, so I'd have to pay for rent and food, so I'd be getting less than the dole
    b) If I get a job and eventually get let go, it might be tough getting back on the dole as quick as I did first time round

I give the mother a bit every week and save nearly all of the rest. I only leave the house/do anything with friends maybe twice a month but I'm not complaining, I really have no right to complain!

In my opinion there will always be a hardcore unemployed; governments take account of that when planning for the economy. If people are so envious/ jealous of them they should go and do what they do and stop complaining that they're paying for their lifestyles; the option is open to anybody to do the same and "enjoy" their lifestyle. Theres a huge stigma attached to being a dole-extracting waster and a huge sense of pride in being a contributing-to-the-community citizen; each side has their pro's and cons but it depends on personal preferances as to which lifestyle you vouch for. Personally, I couldnt stay on the dole for life, its far too meaningless and soul-destroying an existance, but I have no problem knowing that those wasters exist; each to their own i suppose.

:eek:

D_R you got to be kidding

I was in college in the late 1980's - early 1990s when there was no jobs available in ireland.

When I was in college - I did just about of everything to pay my way including going abroad and doing whatever I could to earn money to go back to college

WTF are you are going to college for if the attitude is
    If I get a job and eventually get let go, it might be tough getting back on the dole as quick as I did first time round
    ffs!

How are you getting dole in the first place if you are in college?...most students cannot claim dole in the summer if they are returning to college in the Autumn

You are an adult so get off yer mammys apron strings and start looking after yourself and as for the option
    anybody to do the same and "enjoy" their lifestyle
    on the dole....Who do think is paying for this???

If we all did this ...do you honestly believe that the fairies are going to keep the economy going and paying tax to keep perpetual dole
    lifestylers
    in the comfort they have become accustomed to!!!!
    each to their own i suppose
    - yeah fine if you are supporting yourself and not bleeding some poor b*gg*r who is paying tax dry!

Sure grow up and go to college and get an education but at least try and become an responsible adult as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Ro: maaan! wrote: »
    Now that I'm on the dole I'll be downgrading from Tuborg (6 for €7.50) to Excelsior (4 for €3.45).

dont you mean 8 cans for €6.90? ;)

i never liked tuborg, i was a dutch gold man myself. hope its still 6 for 7.
    now i dont drink very often and i gave up beer, but when i do drinkits high commander scotch, 5.60 for a quarter bottle in o briens. or if i want to get messy drunk ill buy a 350ml bottle of tesco scotch whiskey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

not always i'm afraid, my wife worked in mc donalds for awhile, she was told she would get three weeks training at a reduced rate (5.50 when the mim wage was 7.50 ish)

after completing her training she was informed that she would stay on the reduced rate for the frist year as she was still training.

after working all summer she was sacked to allow the "regular" workers to return to thier jobs as collage had started up again.

none of the new staff had been to our local collage before so could not be regulars at mc donalds, none of them where irish, and none where paid more than the mimimum amount because they will be training for a year.

a supervisor told her she would be taken back if she accepted the lower rate without complaint and when she said she would they kept her on standby,waiting for a phonecall to let her know she could work.

for three months they phoned her once a week when someone left them stuck,then they sorted out who were the more relialbe workers and never phoned again.

prehaps that is just the mc donalds here in Dundalk but that is why few irish people worke there. not laziness but a bad employer abusing the system.

• Advertisement

Degsy wrote: »
    It looks like the irish would rather be on the dole than "lower" themselves to take jobs they consider "beneath" them.
    How many irish people do you see working in Spar or Centra,McDonalds or Supermacks?
    Only have a Spar where I live and Sue from down the road always throws in a few extra chicken wings.

Degsy wrote: »
    Dont forget filling the prisons..the taxapayer funds THAT particular lifestyle too.
    What's your solution to dealing with prisoners then?

If you were to lose your job in the morning and spent weeks unsuccessfully trying to find another one, what would you do?

Advertisement